PDA

View Full Version : Lustria trap question

vypyr
11-09-2005, 21:33
Hey hey

I have a question regarding one of the traps in the Lustria book. The wording of it made us think, and thinking hurts my head...

I cant remember which trap it is specifically, but I think its Native Curse. The wording of it says if the unit fails a Ld test, D6 troops die

Ok, so if a unit is hit by that, D6 die, no problems. But what about single characters, monsters and swarms?

One of my opponents rat swarms failed their test, but rather than removing D6 bases, we removed D6 wounds. His rat spawn nearly got affected by it, but passed its Ld test. We kind of agreed that for single characters and monsters, it would be unfair to remove D6 troops because no matter what you rolled, it would swallow up your hero/lord since he is a singular model. We settled on D3 wounds for chars/monsters, but I'm curious to know what should officially happen with this scenario. What do you think?

taer
11-09-2005, 22:44
They should Die...Which is annoying to say the least. Better than Quicksand and Brettonians though ;)

Avian
12-09-2005, 07:42
Heh, we replaced that entry (Fungi Spore Cloud, not Curse, btw) with something else, it was just too harsh on smaller units. Up here it works like a banshee scream, with any units that take wounds becoming Immune to Psychology (or Frenzied, in the case of Night Goblins).

We also altered Quicksand to have a -1 save modifier, so now a skink with a shield will not sink faster than a giant.

Sadly, the Encounter table suffers from a lot of the same problems as the rest of the Lustria book - there are some nice ideas, but they are not exactly balanced. :rolleyes:

taer
12-09-2005, 15:55
No kidding. We had to switch carnivorous plant and all is well to get any sense of balance. Every game was truning into an entire jungle that just ate everything. Until we switched the chart, the damn plants were causing more points in casualties than we ever caused.

§ilent§torm
12-09-2005, 21:07
Technically, they should die. The Lustria setting was designed to force players to take different lists than those that they were starting to use game after game after game. Who would have though, knights die when they ride full tilt into a quicksand pool (pool? pond? I don't know). They wanted to change the way people played a bit, but the problem was it changed into an entirely different game if you wanted to play truely competitively.

As soon as you play anything but Pitched Battle, certain armies/units start to be worth a bit more than their points. Like Subborn/Unbreakable units in Capture. I just think everyone blew off Lustria too soon. Maybe because I play beasts and Eshin.

Avian
13-09-2005, 12:30
Technically, they should die. The Lustria setting was designed to force players to take different lists than those that they were starting to use game after game after game.
Again the intention is good, but the execution lousy.

Take a normal infantry unit, it typically has a 5+ armour save against missile fire.
Then place a Quicksand marker next to it during the enemy's turn. One third of the unit gone.
Now, if the unit doesn't get away in their turn (most infantry only move 4", so it's not that unlikely), they'll lose a third of what's left in their own turn, and then a further third again in the next enemy turn.

You get one chance to get away or 70%(!) of a perfectly normal infantry unit is gone.

After you've experienced that once or twice (and this is a perfectly normal unit, mind you, it's not a bunch of knights that have gotten lost in the jungle), you get a bit tired of it.

We are having a campaign in Lustria at the moment (http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~tarjeia/trondhammer/kampanje.php) and since it's not a "Ha-ha! Look, half my army died!" type of campaign, we had to do some serious adjustments to the Lustria rules.