PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Republic Commando

Makaber
12-09-2005, 02:04
I just got hold of Republic Commando, and it's awesome. It's a really solid shooter as it is, but with the team elements, you don't feel as much as a one-man army. It just feels ... right. Check it out if you can.

New Cult King
12-09-2005, 09:21
I've read a review that gave it about 7 out of 10, saying it was okay, but not all it could have been...

It's good to hear from a proper gamer though, instead of a jaded reviewer. Cheers Makaber, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so I might check it out now ;)

Odin
12-09-2005, 09:35
What format have you got - PC or X-box? I wanted to get it for my PS2 but I don't think it's available. I don't tend to play shooty games on the PC cos I hate using a mouse for that sort of thing.

Ravening Wh0re
12-09-2005, 11:10
I rate it as merely average. Some parts are good, some tedious.
The team angle wasn't utilised as well as it could have been, and the weapons were lacklustre.

Multiplayer? urgh.

Strictly for the hardcore SW fans methinks (and even they deserve better)

It was meant to be a SW Rainbow Six, but became a Team Doom/Quake kind of game

ironduke
12-09-2005, 11:43
Its a great game. Couldn't put it down but here in the problem lies, its too short you'll be finished before you realise it and you will be hankering for more.

Nazguire
12-09-2005, 11:57
The game is quite good and the graphics/soundtrack are all above average in my opinion. The team work could have been better, but it was implemented nicely anyway. The personailties of each of the Clones got on my nerves however.

Makaber
12-09-2005, 13:17
Well, I guess I should cover my ass and say I haven't gotten that far yet. But first impressions are very, very good. Oh, and I'm playing it on PC.

Sir_Turalyon
12-09-2005, 16:39
Tried it and got bored really quickly. You just go few meters killing things, reach a place where a teammate has to do something, order him to do it, stay minute or two there waiting for him and defending position, then move towards next place (return to begining of this phrase). Gets repetitive really quickly. It's nice looking and all, but missions themselves are boring.

Also, because you have three computer-controlled characters following you, maps are forcibly simple; not much of difficult terrain to add flavour. Just corridors (whatever they look like) to walk, doors to blow up, enemies to shoot, bacta to heal and clips to pick up. Not surprising game was repetitive.

If you were at last eble to shoot some Jedi scum in later game. If you were taking squad through it's fulldistinguished history - through clone wars, purge of the Jedi, extinguishing rebelion, boarding corellian corvettes, infiltrating base at Hoth all to heroic death on Endor, the climax might well redeem gameplay. But AFAIK game ends just before real fun begins.

Repetitive gameplay and dull story? No, thanks. Shame such a good idea was wasted.

Strikerkc
12-09-2005, 16:47
I enjoyed it for the time I had it rented. My personal favorite part was the door breaching. It was just cool to order your team to clear the room out for you. Best part of them was that the grenades they throw in actualy do stuff instead of being for show.

Rykion
15-09-2005, 01:09
The game was fun, but short. My main problem with it was that the weapons didn't feel like Star Wars weapons. It felt like a generic squad shooter with Star Wars graphics pasted on it.