PDA

View Full Version : Pistols in combat

Tarsus
14-11-2007, 15:52
It says in the rule book that pistols count as hand weapons in hand to hand combat and that a brace of pistols grants an extra attack like having an aditional hand weapon.

But can a hand weapon and pistol be combined to grant the extra attack and can a pistol and shield give you the extra save?

Im only asking cos im wondering wether to give my duelists in a DOW army pistols for 4 pts or extra hand weapons for 2 pts.

eldrak
14-11-2007, 16:22
You will get different answers depending on who answers.

Some says a single pistol will be your single hand weapon, some say you have a regular hw so you can use the pistol as an additional...

Revlid
14-11-2007, 16:31
It says in the rule book that pistols count as hand weapons in hand to hand combat and that a brace of pistols grants an extra attack like having an aditional hand weapon.

But can a hand weapon and pistol be combined to grant the extra attack and can a pistol and shield give you the extra save?

Im only asking cos im wondering wether to give my duelists in a DOW army pistols for 4 pts or extra hand weapons for 2 pts.

Every model automatically has a handweapon - you cannot combine a pistol and shield to get the extra save, as there is no need to. It will never come up.

As for the Pistol+Handweapon... I'd say yes, but can't be sure without my rulebook on hand. My answer would seem to make the Brace of Pistols close combat rule redundant...

Fate
15-11-2007, 01:29
The logical would be counting the pistol as a second hand weapon, however like many times i'm remembered and like sometimes i have to remeber people, warhamer is NOT logical.
Having 2 pistols is like having a second hand weapon, it's not the same, it's just like it so you stick to either have 2 hand weapons or two pistols for that effect.

Course the ideal would be making a house rule with the first solution, but the second is following the rules to the line.

tanglethorn
15-11-2007, 06:49
The answer GW gave was that you need a Brace of Pistols in order to get the +1 atack in HtH combat. I will post the FAQ from Gav Thorpe. I am not sure if this is on the GW FAQ yet or not.

Here it is:

http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18488&mode=threaded

For short:

Q: My question has to do with the interaction of pistols and hand weapons in close combat. The pistol description says that a pistol used in close combat counts as a hand weapon and that a brace of pistols counts as a pair of hand weapons. It is simple enough, but the 'Fighting with a weapon in each hand' section explains that any combination of hand weapons allows you to benefit from the extra attack. As (virtually) all models come with a hand weapon, a player could combine it with a single pistol in order to get an extra attack. Is this intended? The pistol rules seem to indicate that you need two pistols to get an extra attack, but the extra hand weapon rules state otherwise. Do we need one pistol or a brace of pistols to benefit from a weapon in each hand?

GAV
You need a brace of pistols to get the extra attack like lightning claws in 40K.

mattjgilbert
15-11-2007, 07:11
I was just about to post it was similar to lightning claws in 40K.. then i got to the end you your ^ post!

Makes sense otherwise the the rule for having a brace of pistols is redundant as Revlid says.

Atrahasis
15-11-2007, 09:49
Bear in mind, tanglethorn, that that is in now way official and in the same set of Q&As Gav made 3 (IIRC) errors that anyone who has a rulebook in front of them can debunk. I'm counting the pistol answer as the fourth.

EvC
15-11-2007, 15:29
I assume Pistoliers can't make use of two hand weapons at least...

Atrahasis
15-11-2007, 15:34
No, since they are mounted and "Fighting with a hand weapon in each hand" applies only on foot.

Tarsus
15-11-2007, 17:38
Yep, thats what i expected, thanks for the answer.