PDA

View Full Version : Mantree !

reds8n
14-11-2007, 16:26
Look at this poor guy imagine the life he must have had (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/12/wtree112.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox).

The wierd things that can happen to the human body- this guy, John Merrick, Sophie Ellis Bextor's "face"--really astonish me at times.

Hicks
14-11-2007, 17:31
That's crazy! I hope they can cure him, I knew HPV has many dangers, but that is just unbelievable.

kortholaxthedamned
14-11-2007, 17:41
I like how the OP is sympathetic, yet titles the thread with a name that more 'PC' people would find offensive! :p

'Actually, I prefer the term botanically-troubled...'

Grimtuff
14-11-2007, 18:55
Saw this in the Fortean Times last month.

It strikes me as a scam, Note how he seems to be able to get a shirt on over those "growths" and none of it (relatively) seems to have touched his face.

Hmmmm.

The pestilent 1
14-11-2007, 19:17
the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), a fairly common infection that usually causes small warts to develop on sufferers...

"The likelihood of having his deficiency is less than one in a million," Dr Gaspari told the Telegraph.

I call BS.

Ozorik
14-11-2007, 19:29
Hmmm the fact that he is aparently lacking in CD4 cells yet is mysteriously free of all other kinds of infections makes me think that this is a scam. He should be immunosuppressed in the same manner as people with AIDS.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-11-2007, 19:35
Good god.

Man in third world country finds way of making easy money out of the stupid bloated west.

Good luck to him I say.

Ozorik
14-11-2007, 19:38
Well if he is genuine then he may well hold the key to a cure for AIDS :)

Hellebore
14-11-2007, 21:03
The interface between the cutaneous horns and the skin looks pretty realistic though.

Unless the western doctor is in on it too, he would have figured out they are fake.

Don't forget he's got small ones all over his body and face as well. They have a fairly 'natural' looking pattern, and I doubt he had the resources or knowledge to find out how cutaneous horns are grown or the pattern they grow in.

I would like to see some more detail from the doctor before I call fake.

EDIT: Cutaneous horns are a real phenomenon, so it's that hard to believe. You can do a search for them and find a lot of photos of other cases. None as extreme as this, but that doesn't make it impossible.

Hellebore

Bombot
14-11-2007, 21:48
I looked at the first story and I'm sure not looking for any more cases!

reds8n
14-11-2007, 22:41
I like how the OP is sympathetic, yet titles the thread with a name that more 'PC' people would find offensive! :p

Well, you should have seen the" For your entertainmENT " related title I was originally going to go for.:p

But that would be wrong of course.:angel:

I hope it is a fake, or that if it is true he can be cured. No-one deserves to go through life like that.

..... hmmm.. except the Sophie Ellis Bextor creature perhaps ?

Ozorik
14-11-2007, 22:55
How can anyone be charged with a sexual offence in a private hotel room with an inanimate object? Odd. Yes the cleaners may have knocked but still.

I like how his own solicitor called him a 'sad little man'.

Arianwen
14-11-2007, 23:04
He's supposed to be in Bizarre magazine next month, apparently.

swordwind
14-11-2007, 23:24
On TV soon aswell I think.

Cade
15-11-2007, 00:00
He's been in Bizarre twice. Interviewed both times. His ondition is as real as it omes and is definately not a scam.

Jedi152
15-11-2007, 12:41
There are several pics of different sufferers on the net.

It's just an uncontrolled growth of keratin IIRC.

The pestilent 1
15-11-2007, 12:59
He's been in Bizarre twice. Interviewed both times. His ondition is as real as it omes and is definately not a scam.

Because the Media never lies or exaggerates the truth to sell? :p

Rabid Bunny 666
15-11-2007, 15:24
Poor bloke, perhaps he angered one of the Dark Gods?

Norminator
15-11-2007, 17:42

I've got my money on Tzeentch ;)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
15-11-2007, 21:03
Nah. Apparently (according to the Fortean Times) there is a strange smell as well. Much more likely is Nurgle!

Khorghan
15-11-2007, 23:24
weird stuff, they are warts so i would also say nurgle. unless hes also magic!!!

nurgle_boy
15-11-2007, 23:26
Nah. Apparently (according to the Fortean Times) there is a strange smell as well. Much more likely is Nurgle!

NOT MY FAULT! :D

its very odd, and remind me of a parasite that infects rabbits and hares in the us, causing them to grow bony growths, leading to the myths about the jackalope. Very interesting, but sad at the same time.

Still, maybe this botanically challenged individual will recover... time will tell...

RavenMorpheus
16-11-2007, 19:28

Nah he's been hanging with the wood elves too much :D

V weird "condition", not something I'd like to experience.

floyd pinkerton
16-11-2007, 20:57
oh lord, that's disgusting.

I hate looking st things like these

slaaneshes_own
16-11-2007, 23:07
The show was on the other night - there is also another guy in Germany who hasn't reached Dede's level of "botanic-ness" but he is getting there - the smell is from underneath the warts iirc - wasn't really paying attention to the tv at that point - but his feet were so weird - you know like in the LoTR films? The hobbits had bare soles but really hairy tops to their feet? It was just like that...But when this Doctor dude started recommending to Dede that he start "taking a hacksaw to the cutaneous growths" and assured the guy it wouldn't hurt a bit, and he just looked at his brother and said "Will you help me?" I just had to admire the guy. All he wants is to be normal, gotta give the guy props for trying to keep his family going.

And regarding the t-shirts etc? They're tailor-made by a guy in his village. I know these things, I watches television!

Just my 0.02

Joe

dr.oetk3r
17-11-2007, 16:21
Nomatter what disease the man has, i still find this amazing and i hope they can cure him.

Flame Boy
18-11-2007, 00:26
I bet even if they do manage to slow the growths and undertake a lot of surgery, the poor man is likely to be scarred for life. I'll try to complain less next time I get a cold...

Mind you, a similar thing can happen with uncontrolled bone growth, can't it?

RavenMorpheus
18-11-2007, 00:40
I bet even if they do manage to slow the growths and undertake a lot of surgery, the poor man is likely to be scarred for life. I'll try to complain less next time I get a cold...

Mind you, a similar thing can happen with uncontrolled bone growth, can't it?

Hmm, think so, there is something called ossification which I believe is the bones hardening and being like stone, and I'm fairly sure theres an uncontrolled bone growth thing - but the name of it escapes me at this point, google or wiki would probably provide an answer though...

slaaneshes_own
18-11-2007, 00:47
The best bit is, according to my housemate who sat and watched it all the way through, there was a wee bit of text at the end of the show saying that they'd offered him meds to get better, and as far as can be gathered, he's still scraping out a living in the freakshow he performs with...

And this guy used to be a fisherman... if i had the choice between dying early cause of man-tree-death, or get better and potentially earn a damn sight more fishing than being in a freak show, I know what I'd be doing!!!

Joe

RavenMorpheus
18-11-2007, 00:57
The best bit is, according to my housemate who sat and watched it all the way through, there was a wee bit of text at the end of the show saying that they'd offered him meds to get better, and as far as can be gathered, he's still scraping out a living in the freakshow he performs with...

And this guy used to be a fisherman... if i had the choice between dying early cause of man-tree-death, or get better and potentially earn a damn sight more fishing than being in a freak show, I know what I'd be doing!!!

Joe

Ah yes but the damage done to his body may prevent him from going back to fishing even if he recovers fully...

Ozorik
18-11-2007, 01:00
Effectively this man has skin cancer. The usual warts caused by HPV are really tumours(depending on how you want to define tumour), harmless and, fairly, short lived, but tumours none the less. They are created by uncontrolled skin cell growth as the virus switches off various inhibitory mechanisims rather than by mutations as is normally the case. As this man has no way of clearing the virus these cells will keep on dividing indefinately.