PDA

View Full Version : Do you help new players get better?

IG_hopeful
14-11-2007, 17:32
Okay, I'm curious for those vet. players, if you run accross a new player @ a tourney after the match/battle do you give them tips/critque them on how they had played and what they might do to get better on improving their skills?

A fellow from our area tends to do that with anyone wanting to play 40K

From Shadows
14-11-2007, 17:38
Yes,but only if they ask for help or suggestions.I never tell anyone how to play if they do not ask.I do not want to seem pushy or look like a know it all.But am always willing to help younger players,they are the future of this game,so the more that play and stick with it,the better it will be for this hobby in the long run.

leonmallett
14-11-2007, 17:38
I am usually the one needing help or advice, not my opponents! :)

IG_hopeful
14-11-2007, 17:45
Yes,but only if they ask for help or suggestions.I never tell anyone how to play if they do not ask.I do not want to seem pushy or look like a know it all.But am always willing to help younger players,they are the future of this game,so the more that play and stick with it,the better it will be for this hobby in the long run.

Dont get me wrong, the fellow I am talking about isn't pushy either. but he tries toexplain as simple as possible what the player could have done. E.g.: say a player was busy trying to take out a basilisk. when what was doing the "hurting" were the troops in the army that the bask was in, He would wouldn't berate them, but give tips or such what they could have done differently

ChaosMaster
14-11-2007, 17:45
Absolutely. Whenever possible I try and help new players and new hobbyists learn more to get better at playing, painting, converting, whatever if they want the help.

Ozendorph
14-11-2007, 17:46
I prefer to instill bad habits in players that will impair their judgment and limit their potential for years to come.

Cry of the Wind
14-11-2007, 17:50
I'll always give out hints as long as the other player is willing to listen to them. It's no fun beating up on poor players again and again. I've gotten into the habit from working at GW for a while and after every game with a customer I needed to explain what went wrong (or sometimes right) and why in their battle plans or army list. I've never met anyone who didn't appreciate my advice.

Tags
14-11-2007, 17:55
NEVER! NO WAY! I hate offering anyone advice, 9 times out of 10 it's ignored anyway. I've tried to help my friend who should know better by now, and he never listens anyway... You have to learn from yer mistakes. I'll correct someone but thats the limit.

dcikgyurt
14-11-2007, 18:00
Yes!

And veteran players as well. I always offer advice at the end of the game if I have any, irrespective of whether I won or lost.

Mort
14-11-2007, 18:22
Yes. After the Game. Learning through pain,hr,hr...

Agrip. Varenus Denter
14-11-2007, 18:23
I do it if they ask for it - otherwise unsolicited advice just comes off like as someone being a blowhard. I do always try and help people where possible and where wanted - that's a big part of this hobby of ours.

Bornhald
14-11-2007, 18:38
Well i usually play with just friends. And after the battles (after calibrating my victory (a lot and very loud))

but in the end i do give them tips and discuss the battle generally (also when i lost with i discuss it with my opponent, sometimes it is just bad luck)

so i would say i would explain but only go in detail if they asked for that

Luisjoey
14-11-2007, 18:54
Help the N00bs keep the game alive, because they build their armies and you have different opponents! You know what is a bit dull... to battle always the same person.

When I play with n00bs (in other wargames, i`m n00b in WH40k) i give some advice and even remember some of their abilities they often forgot.

I try to keep it competitive as posible, and at the end of the game i comment about good and bad actions in game by my opinion.

sephiroth87
14-11-2007, 18:56
Most players would rather not hear it unless it's done in a very diplomatic way and it's asked for, especially if they just got beat badly.

If a new player is just starting, I'll tell them as much as they want to hear. Players who have played for a while are usually pretty set in their tactics and start to chalk it up to a broken game, bad luck, or a cheesy opponent, and would rather not hear me talk about how it's a game very much based on player skill.

zoodog
14-11-2007, 19:00
No, crush there spirit with defeat then buy there army off them at a bargain price when they decide to leave the game
Or go over the rules with them and point out different options they can take if it looks like their limiting them selfs. If they want it go into greater depth.

Psyren
14-11-2007, 19:05
I have the bad habit of giving them advice mid-game, and then they end up beating me.:(

FigureFour
14-11-2007, 19:10
I give false advice to new players to make them easier to beat next time.

sukigod
14-11-2007, 19:10
For us, advice is usually shared in a communal after-actions roundup. We both talk about what went right and what went wrong. In public venues advice is given only if it's sought. Usually it's part of general covnersation after the matches and not realy "sought" as it's just generaly talked about how the game went andwhat "could" have been different.

ChaosMaster
14-11-2007, 19:18
I'm a bit surprised, although I guess I shouldn't be, by the number of people posting here who proudly proclaim their unwillingness to help new players. When you play someone new you're not so much an opponent as a mentor. It's a chance to do someone a favor and encourage them to stick with the hobby, something that GW and all of us customers need to happen for the hobby to remain alive.

If it makes you feel terrific to destroy someone who doesn't really know what they are doing then you must have a serious inferiority complex. Besides, teaching a novice how to play well will provide you with a better opponent sooner than having to wait for them to learn every pitfall of the game the hard way. Where is the joy in winning anyway if there was never a challenge to begin with?

Anyone with such a negative attitude toward new hobbyists should do them and everyone else a favor and stay away from them entirely. Let someone who actually wants the hobby to grow be their mentors, not some win-at-any-cost egomaniac.

IG_hopeful
14-11-2007, 19:22
Twith that last comment I'd like to bring this topic to a close

[SD] Bob Plisskin
14-11-2007, 19:38
I feel that I'd tell people what they could have done but not necessarily assume it would have been the right thing to do. By improving the tactical knowledge of the poeple we play against we make the game better for us all, who cares if they beat you next time? People need to learn the fun isn't in the winning.

don_mondo
14-11-2007, 19:39
Absolutely! I have several styes of play, funtime for regular weekly gaming with experienced players, teaching mode for new or returning players, and competitive at tournies. My problem is I tend to slip into teaching mode. Heck, I even told an opponent at the Balt GT last week how he could achieve an objective in our game. He did and scored an extra 3 or 5 points for the scenario.

IMO, teaching and bringing in new players is something every veteran player should do. The store I usually game at has frequently sent people who mention an interest in the game back to where I'm playing and I turn the game into a demo for them, explaining how the turn sequences, movement, weapons, assault, etc work.

Course, I also use the line that our club is always looking for fresh meat... errrr, I mean, new opponents........

empireguard
14-11-2007, 19:59
Yes all the time if there new. But I say it in ways that aren't "you should have done this or that" and usually after the game. For example I would say "you know you could have beaten me had you done this".

There are other times I'll help new people in game buy giving them small clues you know "now when playing an empire army like mine watch out for the VHS" *hand over copy of army book to opponent* then just after he read It I'll declare a challenge against his lord with my WP and coughing "he's got the VHS" while pointing.

Remoah
14-11-2007, 20:07
though i'm new too, if i'm talking to a newer player i'll often give a few tips, just on what i know, or what they can do, or a certain unit they might want to invest in or not bother about. but i don't walk up to them and slam all the info down on the table, i find the best way to give advice is the excellent 'good game eh?' strategy. after they finish, you start the convo (as if you watched a bit of thier game against another player):

"Good game?"
'yeah.'
"Did you win?"
'nah'
"Too bad, what army were you facing"

i've actually done this a few times, it starts a convo, and if you've watched thier game, you can drop the line: "Gotta watch out for those __(Insert uber unit here)__, they're murderous/tricksters/annoying units"

fwacho
14-11-2007, 21:25
When I teach players I gererallly debrief them after a battle.
ask:
"What worked?"
"What didn't work?"
"What hsoudl have worked?"
"What did you like best about unit A?"
"WHat annoyed you most?"
"Were any rules unclear?"
"What was your favorite unit and Why?"
"any questions about my tactics?"

you'll note that these questions generally allow a noob to teach themselves so to speak. ad can also generate a conversation. Never tell a person what they should hve done unless they ask you. Let them figure it out for themselves and they'll remember it.

dcikgyurt
14-11-2007, 21:30
Discussing the game afterwards is half the fun. No matter who I play, we always take the time to go over the game and discuss the different strategies and tactics, what worked and what didn't what we could have done better, possible changes to our armylists, etc, etc.

I consider it to be part of being sportsman like, helping them be a better player to make our games more challenging, for both each other and anybody else we might play.

EDIT: That said, I don't get insulted if somebody doesn't offer advice, and there have been times where I've had no advice to give them because they played so well.

Lisiecki
14-11-2007, 23:50
I have to assume that after all these years
players get worse when they play me
lord knows i keep getting not better

Baneboss
14-11-2007, 23:58
When I watch the game as spectator I always correct game rules mistakes but I rarely give advice to the players. Most of the time it ruins the fun for at least one of the players.

IG_hopeful
15-11-2007, 00:04
Please discontinue posting here. I am pleased with the turnout. But posts may start getting repetative in the form of some saying they won't/may or will help.