PDA

View Full Version : new iPod nano's

schoolcormorant
15-11-2007, 17:21
heya,
well, i'm a big iPod fan, i suppose primarily for the aesthetics - but then i saw the new iPod nano's and This (http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Apple-iPod-nano-blue/dp/B000UVMCKK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1195150861&sr=1-3) one in particular and it blew my socks off, it's so pretty!
anyway, my finances would allow me to purchase one and as i've taken such a shine to it i think i will. my current iPod is a nano from xmas last year, 4gb so double it and thats a bonus! i'm not greatly interested in watchin vids on it, i mean its for when i'm walking about (i do that a lot, about 4-8 miles a day) and i'm currently sitting on 3.2gb of music so i won't have a problem about space

Anyway, my questions are:
1) does anyone own one of these new nano's? how are they? are they vastly different to previous incarnations?
2)my peripherals for my current nano, dock, speakers etc are they still usable?
3) anythin i should know before buying?
4) anywhere cheaper than 117.49? thats the cheapest i've found it

Thanx for ANY help!

Stephen<3

Sgt John Keel
15-11-2007, 21:15
Anyway, my questions are:
1) does anyone own one of these new nano's? how are they? are they vastly different to previous incarnations?

No, but I played a little with one. No major differences, except coverflow mode, which was a bit slow. A little shorter, a little wider, same thickness. They feel incredibly small, IMO. The location of the hold button is a downgrade though.

2)my peripherals for my current nano, dock, speakers etc are they still usable?

Maybe. Do they use the dock adapter? Anything that isn't limited physically by the size should work, except the video out through the headphone port.

/Adrian

Satan
16-11-2007, 08:51
1. You get coverflow, video and increased calendar functions which all have their uses if you use the Ipod as a tool like I do. If you want to go for a proper planning and entertainment tool though I'd much rather recommend the Iod touch or Iphone, but they're twice the price of this one. Oh, the screen resolution is much better too - overall it's a good mp3-player.

2. Should be, but you'll need a new silicone protection layer since it's a new format.

3. You can't use all videos with the Ipod unless you have Quicktime pro to help you convert them into a .mov-format for example. No problem if you have a PC (the non-legal way) but harder with a mac.

4. Maybe cheaper if you could get a student's discount?

Sgt John Keel
16-11-2007, 11:43
3. You can't use all videos with the Ipod unless you have Quicktime pro to help you convert them into a .mov-format for example. No problem if you have a PC (the non-legal way) but harder with a mac.

MPEG Streamclip and Handbrake works great for transcoding, and I'm sure Visual Hub is even better, especially with it's Xgrid capabilities.

/Adrian

Satan
16-11-2007, 11:55
I think the Ipod needs a specific format encoded only using quicktime but I'm not sure... haven't had the chance to try anything else yet.

schoolcormorant
16-11-2007, 12:42
I must admit I understood none of the video talk lol, but it's alright, as i said, videos aren't really what i want it for.
I mean, I walk, a lot, and enjoy it because i'm listening to music, so it'd be in my pocket all the time anyway.

The dock i have now fits my current nano perfectly, which leads me to believe the new one will need a new dock? is this right?

SC

Satan
16-11-2007, 12:46
You mean to little dock thingie that let's you leave the Ipod standing? Not sure if the new one would fit, but I don't so... the cable is the same though.
If you like the pretty nifty cool new features like Coverflow then I'd recommend getting one. Also, if you have a Mac, it's the perfect planning tool to use with Ical... It also lets you load images onto it, connect to a TV, Contains notes that you can drag and drop from your mac... the list goes on.

schoolcormorant
16-11-2007, 14:22
Macs... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PADkpyVWAwQ)

well, not really but i don't own one...

Thing is, it's purely the aesthetic thing, being a dodgy little queer-hawk like me I really like the look of this new iPod... :)

SC

Sgt John Keel
16-11-2007, 14:43
I think the Ipod needs a specific format encoded only using quicktime but I'm not sure... haven't had the chance to try anything else yet.

MPEG-4 video and MPEG-4 part 10 (AVC/h.264) baseline profile in .m4v, .mp4 or .mov containers work, no matter in which program you encoded them.

It won't accept AVC video encoded with some of the more advanced compression tricks, nor if the bitrate is too high though.

/Adrian

Brother Munro
16-11-2007, 19:39
You can convert videos for the iPod in iTunes itself (Advanced > Convert for iPod), or (if you are on a Mac) the excellent iSquint can do so cheaper (its free) and faster than QTPro. As for the docks the nano should come with a bit of plastic you pop into the dock which makes it nice and snug.