PDA

View Full Version : 40k Racing Game

lord_blackfang
12-09-2005, 14:45
Years ago I pinched some simple rules for a 40k themed racing game off Dakka. I expanded on them quite a bit, but now I'm planning a major overhaul since I just got my hands on Gorkamorka and there is a lot of stuff there that I'd like to incorporate in to the racing game.

Since I'll be rewriting it all anyway, it seems like a good time to ask for suggestions on what else to include; ie. what kind of actions, items, etc. should be covered by these rules to make a fast and fun game.

Here's a basic synopsis:

It's a campaign game with growing "teams" that gain experience and new equipment, like Gorkamorka, Necromunda and Mordheim. Each player has a team of drivers, gunners, mechanics and other support crew, and one or more vehicles.

During a race, actions are resolved on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis in random order ("initiative" is rolled for vehicles each round.) Vehicle movement rules are complex (no sense playing a race where everything moves 12" or 24", right?), but the rest is pretty much straight 40k.

Now I'm planning to update the wounding system to include Necromunda-style pinned, down!, and out of action results to reduce lethality of weapons. To hit modifiers and armour save modifiers are also a possibility.

Then there are tables for permanent injuries, vehicle damage, fine-tuning, crew skills, etc.

I've already covered ramming, jinking, out of control vehicles, jumping from and onto vehicles, throwing models off a vehicle, running people over, pit stops, and many other things.

I'd like to hear any suggestions other people have about what else to incorporate into the rules to make the game more dynamic, realistic and FUN!

x-esiv-4c
12-09-2005, 14:56
Well, perhaps the fast a vehicle goes, the less it can turn elsewise one would flip the car over.

pnweerar
12-09-2005, 17:16
Awesome concept! You must throw in the Machine Spirit though. Could be a random effects table with higher values good, lower ones bad. Characters roll on the table, those "blessed by the machine spirit" have a positive modifier to add to rolls.

Just a thought :) .

Navin

de Selby
12-09-2005, 22:48
I've played races before with a method adapted from pencil and paper games.

Each vehicle has a 'manouevre' characteristic (a distance in inches, eg. 12")

During each turn of movement, a vehicle counts as being in a 'gear'. 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd etc. Vehicles can have different top gears. Start the race in gear 0.

When moving, a vehicle has a 'movement circle' inside which it must end its' move. The movement circle has a radius equal to the manouevre characteristic of the vehicle, and is displaced straight ahead of the vehicle by a distance equal to the vehicle gear multiplied by the manouevre characteristic. After moving, the vehicle may change up or down a gear by one in preparation for the next turn.

All distances are measured from/to the vehicle nose. Vehicle are assumed to move from point to point in straight lines for the purposes of determining collisions etc.

The above system represents handling, racing lines and collisions with inanimate objects quite well. Try it out on your carpet!

lord_blackfang
13-09-2005, 21:38
Well, perhaps the fast a vehicle goes, the less it can turn elsewise one would flip the car over.

There is a Leadership test required to turn, which gets harder as speed increases.

Awesome concept! You must throw in the Machine Spirit though. Could be a random effects table with higher values good, lower ones bad. Characters roll on the table, those "blessed by the machine spirit" have a positive modifier to add to rolls.

Just a thought :) .

Navin

I'm not a fan of totally random effects (except for Orks!), but there will be tinkering/tuning prior to a race, sabotage attempts, and upgrades if you play a campaign.

I've played races before with a method adapted from pencil and paper games.

Each vehicle has a 'manouevre' characteristic (a distance in inches, eg. 12")

During each turn of movement, a vehicle counts as being in a 'gear'. 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd etc. Vehicles can have different top gears. Start the race in gear 0.

When moving, a vehicle has a 'movement circle' inside which it must end its' move. The movement circle has a radius equal to the manouevre characteristic of the vehicle, and is displaced straight ahead of the vehicle by a distance equal to the vehicle gear multiplied by the manouevre characteristic. After moving, the vehicle may change up or down a gear by one in preparation for the next turn.

All distances are measured from/to the vehicle nose. Vehicle are assumed to move from point to point in straight lines for the purposes of determining collisions etc.

The above system represents handling, racing lines and collisions with inanimate objects quite well. Try it out on your carpet!

Hm. Sounds interesting, but if I understand correctly, it means the vehicle can't turn during its move, only at the end when it's placed in the circle?

For speed, I use the same system - gear multiplied by... well, the gear multiplier. I'm not sure yet, but I think 3" per gear will be a good average. Turning is handled similarly to old GW games (Gorkamorka and I assume 2nd ed 40k), you get one 45d turn for every "gear multiplier" of travel. So once per 3", normally. Not that you'd want to turn so often when there's a Ld test every time... :chrome:

de Selby
13-09-2005, 22:31
Ah, sorry, wasn't quite clear.

The movement circle is determined (using the orientation of the vehicle, the current gear and the manouevre characteristic) before the vehicle moves or turns. The vehicle MUST then move to a point inside the movement circle. The vehicle turns (about it's own centre) and moves straight towards this point, and doesn't turn again. It can change gear at this point ready for next turn.

The manouevre distance I gave was a bit high for table-top races. 3" would be more like it for a course marked out on the table top. The idea is that vehicles accelerate down the straight by changing up one gear a turn and moving to the front edge of their movement circle. When they need to go round corners, they have to change down a few gears in good time or their movement circles end up off the track, inside terrain features etc.

The maximum angle of turn in any given move will depend on what the gear is and how far away the movement circle is. In 3rd gear, for example, a buggy with manouevre 3" will be ending it's move inside a 3" radius circle centred 9" ahead of it's front bumper. The maximum possible angle of turn is only 19.5 degrees! Thus 3rd gear is too high to make it around the outside of a tight corner. In 1st gear, the buggy only has to end up in a 3" radius movement circle centred 3" ahead, so it can turn anything up to 45 degrees (3" forward and 3" left/right) or not move forward at all if necessary.

Drivers have to plan several turns ahead so they'll be in a low enough gear to make it ALL of the way around a corner. They tend to follow racing lines (high gear wide curves entering the corner, continuously slowing down to low gear tight curves to get back out, then moving back up the gears onto the straights. Unlike ordinary movement/turn angle allowance systems there remains a possibility of losing control and hitting things if you didn't plan far enough ahead.

edit: edited to make sense :rolleyes: and to add an explanatory diagram from my archives :D