PDA

View Full Version : LR: Laser sponsons fore or aft?

Vic
15-11-2007, 22:50
I am building an LR and am at a cross roads. On the one hand, the sponsons mounted aft look "sexy", but they dont make sense. You wouldnt be able to use the side hatches in "real-life" as the barrels would block access. Sponsons mounted fore allow the side access hatches to be used, but make the LR look "front heavy".

What should I go for, looks or functionality?

Torga_DW
15-11-2007, 23:03
I vote looks first. Thats how i did my land raiders, based off the classic look which has the sponson in the back. I figure they just swivel out of the way when the door comes down, and are used by the machine spirit to prevent hostiles from gaining access to the side doors.

Cry of the Wind
15-11-2007, 23:08
As with anything in 40k I go for looks before function everytime. There are enough things that don't make sense in 40k that putting lascannons in a slightly odd place because it looks cooler won't really register as odd.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
15-11-2007, 23:10
looking different to everyone else might look good though?

paddyalexander
15-11-2007, 23:17
You've also got to consider functionality, those access poits have an effect on the game as to where you can deploy your troops, Placing the access points at the back creates a larger area around the vehicle for deploying troops. Also when firing you need to measure range from the weapons points & having them placed that extra 1/2" forward can, in rare circumstances, make a difference.

I am opposed to modeling for advantage but its a stupid option that GW has cursed us with.

Ozendorph
15-11-2007, 23:18
Haha, I was looking at my LRC (which I put together years ago) and had the same thought. I mounted the bolters aft, which looks cool, but anybody exiting the side door would be walking in front of 6 blazing barrels of righteous hate. Quite a pickle.

Stranger
15-11-2007, 23:19
Mounting them aft doesn't necessarily obstruct the hatches. Think of it as turning the lascannons sidewise when opening hatches. And if you happen at some point to be taxing a tactical squad with that raider, those additional 2'' hatch access zones might prove useful while disembarking in coherency... Plus the aft sponsons just look so cool... Do you need any more reasons than that?

Sparda
15-11-2007, 23:19
I had one with both, and it never made a diffrence to me about the range or such. I went with the aft mounted oned on the second one, and it looks a lot better, IMO.

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-11-2007, 23:24
Hmm. Looks. :D

And if you think it looks better positioned functionally, more power to ya. :D

Inquisitor Engel
15-11-2007, 23:27
Four words -

Pre-Heresy Land Raider.

Problem solved and sexy as all hell.

Vic
15-11-2007, 23:53
Ummm...pre-heresy LR had them mounted kinda in the center, didnt they?

dcikgyurt
15-11-2007, 23:55
I've voted to the fore as I think it looks better, but definitely looks before function, no matter what.

Inquisitor Engel
15-11-2007, 23:57
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/phlandraider.htm

Fairly forward, but they're balanced by being vertical rather than horizontally mounted. My Night Lords have a Pre-Heresy one.

dcikgyurt
15-11-2007, 23:59
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/phlandraider.htm

Fairly forward, but they're balanced by being vertical rather than horizontally mounted. My Night Lords have a Pre-Heresy one.

I've seen that model before, I'm waiting for the Chaos version to come out.

Inquisitor Engel
16-11-2007, 00:23
I've seen that model before, I'm waiting for the Chaos version to come out.

Not a chance mate.

Honestly, I bought the Pre-Heresy land Raider Kit and then the Night Lords Rhino door set and the Night Lords LR Doors set (you need the side doors from the Rhino and the front door from the LR kits)

I have some extra stuff now, but the effect was well worth it.

You could, also, conceivably call up and order just the conversion kit and then use it with a Chaos Land Raider (you'll need to file the Crux Terminatuses off though)

dcikgyurt
16-11-2007, 00:45
Not a chance mate.

Honestly, I bought the Pre-Heresy land Raider Kit and then the Night Lords Rhino door set and the Night Lords LR Doors set (you need the side doors from the Rhino and the front door from the LR kits)

I have some extra stuff now, but the effect was well worth it.

You could, also, conceivably call up and order just the conversion kit and then use it with a Chaos Land Raider (you'll need to file the Crux Terminatuses off though)

I know, but I'll keep waiting until it get to the point that it's either by the conversion kit or go without, then I'll try and decided what to do.

That said, forgeworld don't really seem to support chaos that well. The Chaos Warhound has fewer weapon options than it's imperial equivalent.

Comrade JC
16-11-2007, 03:19
As a player in the midst of moving my DA over to a more Deathwing army, I have one land raider with the LC fore and one aft. I will be getting a third, and I will probably flip a coing for it or something. I like them both, so I would say go with whichever you think looks better.

As a side note, the forward guns are better for ranging etcetera but the one with the cannons aft seems to be luckier.

If you ever do get two, its a lot easier to put them side by side in the same box if you set one up with LC fore and one with LC aft.

chromedog
16-11-2007, 04:05
I put them on the back, but I've got custom decals I can put on the front hatches - which wouldn't make sense if the guns were up front. The decals are "warning labels" that read "Danger: Do not stand in front of laser cannons", but they also have "Keep clear: this part descends".

I saw the former on the fuselage of a viper in BSG (the pilot showed a closeup of the thing briefly), the latter is made up to look of a similar style.

Dais
16-11-2007, 04:37
i dont think front or back really look any better or worse than eachother but i think having your best trained troops jump out right in front of your most feared gun looks silly so i voted looks and forward.
functionally they are ballanced. what range you lose from the guns is effecively added to to your next assault or move since you can deploy farther forward from the side hatches.

superknijn
16-11-2007, 07:11
This game is still model-based; models are the essence of Warhammer. So, do the sexy thing, and put your guns on the aft slots.

BrainFireBob
16-11-2007, 07:17
I put mine forward- the idea my disembarking models were fried by their own lascannons bothers me.

I'm sure they see it as providing covering fire, but yeah, no.

Calden
16-11-2007, 08:39
I personally prefer them on the forward mounts. I think it has something to do with it makine the Landraider look more like those old WWI tanks :) Plus for me, with the angle the tracks on the tank are at, when the sponsons are mounted towards the rear it looks a bit too much like a techmarine was trying to make a huge battletank look really sleek and fast, the "top-heavy" look is just more brutal looking in my eyes :evilgrin:

gonzosbignose
16-11-2007, 09:10
I have actually built all of my land raiders with one fore and one aft, IE staggered.

If you look at a ww2 aircraft like a B17 flying fortress, the side gunners were always staggered so that each mechanism and person could move around. If you put both next to each other in a land raider, i dont see how you would be able to move inisde!

Regards

Danny boy

Brother-Captain Antilles
16-11-2007, 12:13
For me, definite sponsons to the front, for all variants. I cannot get around the fact that troops simply would not disembark in front of weapons blazing (particularly an issue with the Crusader or Prometheus variants). And I think the front heavy LR looks better anyway, but each to their own

alex03
16-11-2007, 12:17
Well, one thing to consider is that with lascannon sponsons the loss of some extra inches with a 48" gun is not such a big deal. Now on the crusader it becomes more of an issue.

On my crusader I went with aft botler sponsons. Two reasons, looks better, and the access point on the side is close to the access point in the front, ie when placing 15 models they dont all have to be bunched up in the front, you can spill some out one of the sides and keep them within that 2" squad cohearency. Maybe not as big a deal with a normal LR, but like i said earlier with a 48" range gun you can afford to lose some inches. Something to consider.