PDA

View Full Version : which daemons do the possessing?

possessed
16-11-2007, 17:20
I've always wondered about this as I don't think it's made very clear in the fluff.

which daemons are capable of possession ?

I'm inclined to say lesser and undivided daemons mainly because when I look at the new possessed (or the older ones , doesn't matter really) the possessed marines display odd mutations such as spidery limbs or wings and other bizar limbs. But I've never seen a possessed marine looking like it had the spirit of say a horror or daemonette in him. Can the god-specific daemons simply not do this or do lesser daemons actively seek out hosts to become stronger beings ?

Also, I'm curious what type of daemon can possess a vehicle, does it have to be as large as the vehicle or could a smaller daemon possess a vehicle just the same ?

MrBigMr
16-11-2007, 19:54
Now I'm interested as well.

Imagine if you could decide it, like vehicle upgrades. "Here's my defiler, possessed with a Keeper of Secrets."

de Selby
16-11-2007, 19:58
Plague towers of Nurgle are each possessed by a great unclean one, apparently (I've been reading archive WDs :D). So it can happen.

Beowulf89
16-11-2007, 20:07
I'm going to go ahead and say: All daemons can possess. Most probalby lack the intelligence or drive to do so on their own, and some are summoned by sorcerers/inquisitors. But the most important thing is that a daemon who willingly possesses someone will only choose a host it thinks it can dominate. Now that I think about it, someone possessed by a Lord of Change would be awesome. They'd be all twitchy and Silence of the Lambs-like.

Supremearchmarshal
16-11-2007, 20:11
In in the RoC books a CSM could be possessed by a lesser daemon, a greater daemon or a daemon prince of the god he worshiped.
As for vehicles I really have no idea - the only relevant bit of information I remember is that a Lord of Battle was possessed by a greater daemon of Khorne.

Twisted Ferret
16-11-2007, 20:55
I think it might depend on if the demon sees it as an upgrade or a "downgrade." A bloodthirster, for example, probably wouldn't go possess some Guardsman. Maybe not even tank... who needs guns when you have an axe bigger than most vehicles?! :evilgrin:

kishvier
16-11-2007, 20:56
All daemons can possess. The question is how long. The more powerful the less time therefore a greater daemon can possess less time than a lesser daemon. Reason is the more power the harder to compound into flesh.

Cirrus the Blue
16-11-2007, 22:41
I've always wondered about this as I don't think it's made very clear in the fluff.

which daemons are capable of possession ?

I'm inclined to say lesser and undivided daemons mainly because when I look at the new possessed (or the older ones , doesn't matter really) the possessed marines display odd mutations such as spidery limbs or wings and other bizar limbs. But I've never seen a possessed marine looking like it had the spirit of say a horror or daemonette in him. Can the god-specific daemons simply not do this or do lesser daemons actively seek out hosts to become stronger beings ?

Also, I'm curious what type of daemon can possess a vehicle, does it have to be as large as the vehicle or could a smaller daemon possess a vehicle just the same ?

Ah, totally! Best way to take a peek at some 'actual' posessions is to flip through the Horus Heresy artbooks and especially background for the Black Legion found in the Adeptus Astartes. They use god-specific Daemons all the time to posess themselves (and they willingly forfeit their bodies to do so), but I've seen people convert their posessed marines according to the God choice many times. The Tzeentch posessed marines I've seen look bonkers crazy. Saw one with his whole horribly twisted Horror-esque face going right down to his groin and another with more pointed and smooth, elegant armor and Daemonette pieces for a Slaaneshi one. It just takes a bit of imagination and patience with a knife beyond the basic bitz for the new plastics.

Also in the Liber Chaotica Slaanesh I believe it was, a Daemonette had managed to posess a villager at one point and it described in great detail the exorcism that took place. So yes! God-specific Daemons posess people all the time! Doesn't have to strictly be 'Undivided' by any means. Just keep in mind the figures that GW brings out are mainly for Undivided use in the majority so that's why you hadn't seen any God-specific Posessed aside from people actively modelling them as such which still makes perfect sense.

Also, the variety of lesser God-specific Daemons varries in size and shape considerably and doesn't need to be anything like the lesser Daemons you've seen on the table, even! Take a flip through the Eye of Terror codex and look at the LatD list. They've got a picture with a Mutant that's got a really funky tribal tattoo going down his chest and smooth clear skin with tentacles and a hideously deformed, yet sleek and pointed face. Obviously Slaanesh, no? This is why Mutants and Posessed models are so much fun in that respect. The possibilities are seemingly endless for representation and still make perfect sense to fit into God-specific armies.

Actually, with a Black Legion army it would make all the more sense to have each squad of Posessed to coincide with a different specific God choice for the mutations! Their backgrond states that they tend to wear Daemons like suits in that respect and change them regularily, even though this whittles away at their mental and physical health at a staggering rate..

- Cirrus

Cirrus the Blue
16-11-2007, 22:43
I think it might depend on if the demon sees it as an upgrade or a "downgrade." A bloodthirster, for example, probably wouldn't go possess some Guardsman. Maybe not even tank... who needs guns when you have an axe bigger than most vehicles?! :evilgrin:

I'd think a Bloodthirster would still be perfectly willing to posess a lowly Guardsman. He just won't survive the posession for more than a couple of days before being ripped to shreads from the inside and having the Daemon go on a bloody and violent rampage afterward. :D

- Cirrus

mistformsquirrel
16-11-2007, 23:09
Now I'm envisioning a Nurgling possessing a Space Marine, sitting in his head 'driving' him around.

"WHEEE!!!!!"

Tehkonrad
17-11-2007, 06:59
in the words of jesus: hey mistformsquirrel that was funny.

possessed
17-11-2007, 08:59
Now I'm envisioning a Nurgling possessing a Space Marine, sitting in his head 'driving' him around.

"WHEEE!!!!!"

Yes, excellent idea and totally convertable :) I might have a go at it, call me stealer :P

Thanks for the input guys, it's nice to hear some thoughts on my favorite subject :)

Cirrus the Blue
17-11-2007, 22:37

"WHEEE!!!!!"

I'm reminded suddenly of the one-eye'd brain leeches from Futurama. hehehe

- Cirrus

Flame Boy
17-11-2007, 23:59
Hmm... On a similar tack, but diverging a tiny bit (bear with me)... In the Eisenhorn books, it doesn't state who the daemon prince Cherubael followed as master, did it? He mainly manifested vestigial horns, but I think there was little that gave him away as having allegiance to any particular chaos god. He was a daemonhost, so he was not voluntarily possessing people, but he was still clothed in human flesh for a time, so I thought it was partly relevent to consider. blupkl- Hmm... spellcheck won't work.