PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Orcs & Goblins

Livington
12-09-2005, 21:06
i started warhammer with the boxed set back in 2000/2001 with orcs & goblins. i moved on to several different armies and consequently converted the rest of my orcs into chaos orcs to fill in the ranks. (which are awsome btw)

now that im out of school i would like to slowly build up a small O&G force, mainly goblins and their toys with a few monster-types in there for good measure.

where is a good point to begin? how should i go about this? buying a unit every month or 2 is my limit, for im saving for university as well ( i guess college wasnt good enough!)

any help would be appreciated guys and gals, thanks!

gortexgunnerson
12-09-2005, 23:11
Basically If you like your goblins then you need plenty of them, a cool and cheap thing to do is spend abit of time coming up with base fillers and then adding models round them. I.e. 4*3 dramatics and the like. They let you rapidly get big units of 30 or 40 without buying/painting that number.

Once you get a couple of big units a few shamens and bosses and some wolf riders and you have enough to start gaming. I wouldn't bother with any monsters like trolls or giants as they are either going to not be very effective no good general trolls are abit crap due to stupidy and a giant in a small game will ruin it as will basically be the fighting element of your army. I'd then go for chariots and bolt throwers as cheap and cheerful. Snotling are also a good start unit and you can use the plastic ones that come with the goblin units to start you off before replaceing them with metal ones when you have the cash

lord_fenric
12-09-2005, 23:42
Dive onto ebay and do some searching. You're going to need at least two, probably three, big units of orcs, and if you don't mind stripping paint you can get some awesome bargins.

Avian
13-09-2005, 11:00
I have a thread on my website dedicated to just this sort of question:
Raising a Waaagh! (http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~tarjeia/avian/tactics/raising.htm)

Hopefully it will be useful! :)

PelsBoble
13-09-2005, 11:15
Yep Avains site is very good :) IT also has a very nice rundown on the good magic combos

Livington
13-09-2005, 15:08
yes, very helpful site avian, thank you

i have the orcs book way back from when i played them before, and i could never figure out what the heck orc bullies are for?? care to explain?

WraithKnight
13-09-2005, 22:03
Higher Ld for panic/maybe break tests, an extra crewman to keep the machine going, and a tougher fight for any warmachine hunters that might attack.. pretty useful for 5 pts actually.

Avian
14-09-2005, 12:12
Orc Bullies does a couple of things:
-help with panic tests, both because you have +1 Ld, but also because you won't be taking Panic tests for US4 units (chariots, for example).
-an extra warm body in case you get shot at
-greatly increases your chances in close combat (though they are pretty slim to start with, so this isn't really saying all that much).

I tend to get one for all war machines, apart from spear chukkas, who are so cheap that I rarely bother.