PDA

View Full Version : "Lapping around"

burad
17-11-2007, 03:09
The first or second game i played in I was told by a more experienced player that in a continuing melee combat on my following turn I could lap around the flank of my opponent with the part of my (wider) unit that was out of contact. Having read through the 7th edition rulebook a couple or three times since then, I have not seen that rule in the book. I suspect it's a 6th edition rule.

Now, granted, the practice makes sense. However, I have seen nothing in the 7th edition rules that allow you to break your formation with part of the unit and wheel the overlapping portion of your unit around into flank contact on a subsequent turn of melee. If someone has seen this rule in the book or in the official published errata/FAQ, would you please tell me where it is, 'cause I've missed it if it's there.

thanks

Jonke
17-11-2007, 03:15
There is no lapping around. There were in 6th edition.

Page 46 lists the manoeuvres a unit winning combat may perform.

T10
17-11-2007, 10:01
While 6th edition introduced some nice benefits from lapping round (such as earning flank/rear bonuses), the rules were fairly complex. On the whole, removing them simplified the rules without removing anything essential.

Same with the snaking formation, though I maiss the days when my ineffectual Goblin Wolf Riders would establish a snaking formation, circling some orphaned unit of infantry like indians circling a wagon train... Ugh! Ugh!

-T10

Atrahasis
17-11-2007, 13:35
Snaking would have been obscene combined with the new rules for destruction of fleeing units.

It does make the fanatic slingshot possible, but its removal in the context of the 7th ed rules was sensible IMO.

Urgat
17-11-2007, 14:36
While 6th edition introduced some nice benefits from lapping round (such as earning flank/rear bonuses), the rules were fairly complex. On the whole, removing them simplified the rules without removing anything essential.

Same with the snaking formation, though I maiss the days when my ineffectual Goblin Wolf Riders would establish a snaking formation, circling some orphaned unit of infantry like indians circling a wagon train... Ugh! Ugh!

-T10

I liked the snake formation too, and for my wolves all the same :p
"now try and get out of them w/o charging them!" :p
Lapping around was neat with my (2 points...) gobs, I could do so many times w/o sacrifying any ranks, even if they died by the bucket. Not that the 4 gobs on the flanks REALLY did anything, since the denied ranks were easily gained back by killing these silly sneakies :p
Ah well

Atrahasis
17-11-2007, 15:01
Not that the 4 gobs on the flanks REALLY did anything, since the denied ranks were easily gained back by killing these silly sneakies :p
Ah wellLapping round didn't negate ranks, so often where there was a mismatch between quality of troops the worse troops were better off not lapping round :)

Urgat
17-11-2007, 15:22
I meant the flank bonus sorry, but my fingers failed their animosity check it seems :p

Makaber
17-11-2007, 16:19
Mind you, removing snaking formation did nothing to prevent the fanatic slingshot. Snaking was just a fluid variant of a 1 wide, X deep formation, and while that is gone, the normal, "rigid" if you like, 1 wide formation still remains.

Atrahasis
17-11-2007, 19:28
Mind you, removing snaking formation did nothing to prevent the fanatic slingshot. Snaking was just a fluid variant of a 1 wide, X deep formation, and while that is gone, the normal, "rigid" if you like, 1 wide formation still remains.

No, it made the slingshot possible.

In 6th, all units that were one model wide snaked. It wasn't optional, if the unit was one model wide they followed the rules for snaking. A slingshot unit therefore had to be two models wide, limiting its viability (albeit only slightly).

Justin&theOldOnes
19-11-2007, 05:37
I was surprised, today, when I found out you couldn't lap around anymore in 7th edition. The rules weren't that complicated, were they?

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-11-2007, 08:05
Generally, no, they were not. About the only time they caused any real headache was when you charged the models that had lapped around, they were moved back, and then you found yourself out of charge range, meaning the models shouldn't have been moved back, but if they wasn't, you were in range. If that made any sense :p

Rodman49
20-11-2007, 04:15
Generally, no, they were not. About the only time they caused any real headache was when you charged the models that had lapped around, they were moved back, and then you found yourself out of charge range, meaning the models shouldn't have been moved back, but if they wasn't, you were in range. If that made any sense :p

Yeah, I was glad to see them go, even if they made sense.