PDA

View Full Version : Maigc the Gathering Camp!!! OOP!!!

Nephilim of Sin
17-11-2007, 09:35
(This may just be for American posters, I am not sure).

First off, sorry about the mispelling of the title. I do not know how to fix it. Now, to continue...
I do not think this was already posted, as I could not find ANYTHING on the net about it. I remember from InQuests back, before the mag was cancelled, that there was a "Magic the Gathering Camp". Not that I ever went. Just, um, wondering if anyone remembers this tale of gamer history.

The story went, as best I can remember, it was about $750, for maybe two weeks worth of camp. There was Gameworks, Magic, and Warhammer involved, and maybe a Warhammer Camp as well.

It was in Seattle, and play took place in the Gameworks. To summerize, it was a camp that took all the gamers who could pay the hefty fee, put them together and played Magic, with perks like meeting Richard Garfield and other higher ups (Like Rosewater), and a GW store. For your money, you actual stayed in the Seattle Dorm, with the Gameworks in walking distance, and recieved a box of Magic (any out of the 'Rath'/Weatherlight cycle), plus a $100.00 voucher that could be spent on Wotc or Warhammer product. There were also rows upon rows of Warhammer tables, and rumors of a new 'Dark Eldar' coming out. Didn't sound like a bad deal; room and board for two weeks (or nine days), food, free product, and nonstop gaming.

This was also around the time that 'StarCraft' debuted and Carriers were less than great. There were even been some beta testers of StarCraft there to discuss the changes (like Terran Dropships dropping mini-nukes, and vultures automatically firing thier mines, among a few). In the Gameworks there was a War room out of a bad spy movie, loaded with computers to play Starcraft on. Again, not that I ever went. I was just wondering, because I have yet to find any info in my old InQuests, nor on the net, but remember 'hearing' about it. It just seems wierd that it is gone from the Net, and with InQuest now gone, there is no news on it. Not even on the Wotc site. Kinda odd how something so big just disapeared, with no one having any memories.

Oh, and if anyone has a copy of the '98 (maybe '99) pamphlet, and there is a boy holding a box of 40k second edition (in a MTG camp!), that definately was NOT me......

Any thoughts?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
17-11-2007, 14:04
Sounds pretty cool.

And now I have the money for this sort of thing (well paid job, weak Dollar!) I could well go....

Nephilim of Sin
18-11-2007, 08:15
Actually Mad Doc, you are right.... The more I think about it the cooler it seems. Well, nerdy cool, which is cool in my book. It would be like having a huge GT at Warhammer World for two weeks, were everyone could be kids again and just have fun. Meet new people, play new games, play old games, chat with designers. I wonder if GW did something like that, how the response would be. Could they do better than Wotc? Would people go? And furthermore, would it re-establish peoples faith in the company, to show that they cared about the gamers in a way that everyone could understand? Sorry, ranting.... Damn, I would go! I just wish I could set something like this up, obviously not to such a grandious scale...

Easy E
18-11-2007, 09:17
GavT- Get this idea to corporate stat!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
18-11-2007, 11:55
Actually Mad Doc, you are right.... The more I think about it the cooler it seems. Well, nerdy cool, which is cool in my book. It would be like having a huge GT at Warhammer World for two weeks, were everyone could be kids again and just have fun. Meet new people, play new games, play old games, chat with designers. I wonder if GW did something like that, how the response would be. Could they do better than Wotc? Would people go? And furthermore, would it re-establish peoples faith in the company, to show that they cared about the gamers in a way that everyone could understand? Sorry, ranting.... Damn, I would go! I just wish I could set something like this up, obviously not to such a grandious scale...

I'd go just to flaunt my lack of virginity at my fellow Nerds!

But seriously, it does sound cool.

Come to think of it, Issue 3 of the Watchman (It costs you nowt, so don't miss out!) has an advert right above my article (I think) for a Warhammer Holiday Villa in France. Thats right! So, whose going to take war to the frogs next summer? ME!

Jedi152
19-11-2007, 07:45
GW should (and do, to a degree) do a summer school. I think it'd be good - a few days of learning to build, paint and play with a few famous faces and terrain building and stuff thrown in.