PDA

View Full Version : So I got my laptop infected

BozzyB
17-11-2007, 11:52
I woke up this morning to a sore head and a messed up laptop.

Apparently last night I had let in some virus' or something.

Now, I'm completely computer illiterate and so I turn to warseer.

I've got Vista, and am currently performing a full scan with windows defender.

I scanned with McAfee and it got nothing, however, I randomly get popups saying that I need to download stuff to protect my PC, my homepage is some antivirus website called protectionpathways.com -no matter how many times I change it, it changes back. There is a small flashing hazard icon at the bottom right which occasionally gives a speech bubble saying that I have a trojan, but I'm not sure if thats my PC or another pop-up thing, it also says click here to remove malware. Also on my interet explorer toolbar, there is a "security toolbar 7.1" which has options to block/remove adware and it's saying that my security level is low. I'm fairly confident that it's not anything official, but I don't know how to get rid of it.

There is a program on my PC called antispyware shield and when I uninstall it, it says its uninstalled, but its still there.

Any help would be much appreciated!

BozzyB

WLBjork
17-11-2007, 14:07
Oh hell, this one's a right swine of a job to remove.

By far the simplest way is to reformat and reinstall.

Otherwise, you need to mess about with several programs, and is rather messy.

BozzyB
17-11-2007, 14:39
Oh hell, this one's a right swine of a job to remove.

By far the simplest way is to reformat and reinstall.

Otherwise, you need to mess about with several programs, and is rather messy.

I really, really suck with computers.

What does that mean, and is it hard, will I lose everthing I have on it, etc?

BozzyB

pwrgmrguard
17-11-2007, 14:53
hit with a wrench, knock the seawater out of it.

seriously though, if it mattered alot you could pay a professional to do it for you. I generally attempt to find out the names of the infected files and the program infecting them then search my computer or them and delete them.

BozzyB
17-11-2007, 15:20
Well going by what little I can gather from Windows Defender, there's a couple of things on my registry.

They are: icthis.exe, isfmntr.exe, LocusSoftware installer, EULAlancher.exe, dsca.exe, pgs.exe.

They are the things that look out of place to me, there may be more however.

The option for windows defender to remove/disable/enable, is still greyed-out and so can't get rid of it that way.

Damn, I suck.

BozzyB

Wintermute
17-11-2007, 15:26
Windows Defender is not the best piece of software.

Download AVG Anti-virus (free edition) from here (http://free.grisoft.com/) and follow the instructions it gives.

Wintermute

Purgator Sovereign
17-11-2007, 15:34
Check these out:

http://www.pcontech.com/Security-Toolbar-remove.htm
http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=security+toolbar+7.1&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Don'tgive up easily, look around for a few days, you might find saomething that will just remove this thing. Try AdAware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/) and Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/) before you decide to format and reinstall.

If you do forrmat and reinstall, your programmes will be lost, but you can salvage most of your data. Music, videos, photos and the like can be saved in DVDs, you might be able to get game saves, too. If you need more advice, post.

Wintermute
17-11-2007, 16:03
I too would suggest you download and run Spybot before you take the drastic step of re-formatting your drive.

Even if you do have to re-format, after you have done so download and install the programs we have suggested to prevent the situation happening again.

BTW do you have a firewall installed?

starlight
17-11-2007, 16:09
I've been using the free programs suggested on this page for years and I've managed to stay clean and safe. :)

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

RavenMorpheus
17-11-2007, 18:37
I woke up this morning to a sore head and a messed up laptop.

Apparently last night I had let in some virus' or something.

Now, I'm completely computer illiterate and so I turn to warseer.

I've got Vista, and am currently performing a full scan with windows defender.

I scanned with McAfee and it got nothing, however, I randomly get popups saying that I need to download stuff to protect my PC, my homepage is some antivirus website called protectionpathways.com -no matter how many times I change it, it changes back. There is a small flashing hazard icon at the bottom right which occasionally gives a speech bubble saying that I have a trojan, but I'm not sure if thats my PC or another pop-up thing, it also says click here to remove malware. Also on my interet explorer toolbar, there is a "security toolbar 7.1" which has options to block/remove adware and it's saying that my security level is low. I'm fairly confident that it's not anything official, but I don't know how to get rid of it.

There is a program on my PC called antispyware shield and when I uninstall it, it says its uninstalled, but its still there.

Any help would be much appreciated!

BozzyB

Destroy the machine before it spreads it's foul plague and infects the rest of the world :D

First of all ignore windows defender its a pos, secondly get hold of a copy of either AVG or Spybot, - these are probably the 2 best anti-spyware options out there, or like I have or RegRun Gold, does pretty much all spyware/virus/registry guarding/removal related in one package - it's saved me on a couple of times (mind you my copies not exactly kosher ;))

Having said that you may still need to format and re-install windows anyway but always have AVG running when your surfing, that way you know your reasonably protected.

And a tip for the future - don't click on something if you don't know what it is ;)

Brush your teeth
17-11-2007, 20:45
also try panda scan (google it) it seems to find most things, and will remove all virus's for free, you can then pay a single charge to remove all other unwanted items i think.

BozzyB
17-11-2007, 20:54
And a tip for the future - don't click on something if you don't know what it is ;)

I was drunk, I didn't even know what my name was, let alone what I was downloading!

I downloaded AVG, and it seems to have got rid of it. My homepage is working, and there's been no more pop-ups. So hopefully thats it over and dowe with.

Thank god for warseer!

BozzyB

Ozorik
17-11-2007, 21:14
To be on the safe side restart your machine. If the adware doesnt come back it should be safe. I had a lot of difficulty getting rid of adware on my girlfriends computer (it had to be reformatted in the end). I would constantly clear the adware using adaware and/or spybot but it would just keep coming back when windows loaded up.

RavenMorpheus
17-11-2007, 22:32
I was drunk, I didn't even know what my name was, let alone what I was downloading!

Hmm I swear theres a lesson there :D Glad to hear you got it sorted. :)

BozzyB
18-11-2007, 13:09
To be on the safe side restart your machine. If the adware doesnt come back it should be safe. I had a lot of difficulty getting rid of adware on my girlfriends computer (it had to be reformatted in the end). I would constantly clear the adware using adaware and/or spybot but it would just keep coming back when windows loaded up.

Well I restarted it, and there is still something on it.

Malware apparently. It's claims to be some sort of virus removal programme and it says that I have a bunch of virus' and I need to buy their stuff to remove them.

However, I can't delete it, or uninstall it. So I'm currently downloading ad aware to see if that will get rid of it.

BozzyB

TheNZer
18-11-2007, 17:35
Aparently there is a real bad Virus going around in the form of a Powerpoint attachment to an e-mail, although you one dosn't sound like this one.

Burnthem
19-11-2007, 12:51
This Malware thing sounds like its similar to SpyFalcon, in that it keeps telling you that your computer is infected just to get you to buy their product, when in fact theres nothing wrong.

This thread has some good info on it, it helped me when i needed to remove some irritating programs -

http://warseer.com/forums/computer-games/106328-best-free-anti-spyware-download.html?highlight=spyfalcon

Hope this helps :)

RevEv
19-11-2007, 15:07
Sounds similar to a virus I picked up a while back.

DON'T click on the buy it symbol.

Update McAfee, Download Spybot and update it, run both. If neither work wait a couple of weeks for McAfee to catch up, but in the meantime set up a good Firewall.

I use Norton which eventually cracked the problem and cleared it.