PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Scouts?

Defender of Ulthuan
18-11-2007, 17:10
Simple question:
Can WE scouts (the core choice, not scouts in general) take any sort of command?

I'm certain the answer should be 'yes', because scouts are an upgrade to glade gaurd just as giant slayers are an upgrade to troll slayers, and there's never usually any question if a giant slayer can still carry a standard, etc. Also, I just want a champion, and pretty much every other skirmishing unit in the game can take a champion.

Thoughts?

Defender of Ulthuan

UltimateNagash
18-11-2007, 17:23
I think RAW says you can't, since the Dwarf books says "upgrade one Slayer to a ...", while the WE books says "Upgrade one Glade Guard to a ..."
RAI, well, I dunno...

T10
18-11-2007, 21:09
As far as I can tell, you can upgrade the Glade Guard models in the same way as you upgrade Warriors of Chaos, Empire Knights of the Order and Orcs. So, yes, you can upgrade your scouts to with a full command group and even give them a magic standard.

I'm certain the answer should be 'yes', because scouts are an upgrade to glade gaurd just as giant slayers are an upgrade to troll slayers, and there's never usually any question if a giant slayer can still carry a standard, etc. Also, I just want a champion, and pretty much every other skirmishing unit in the game can take a champion.

The Troll Slayers are a different issue. The Giant Slayer is actually a unit champion, which is unique in that the Troll Slayers can contain "any number" of champions!

I've never heard anyone suggest upgrading a single model in the unit to be both the standard bearer and the champion.

-T10

Chicago Slim
18-11-2007, 21:37
I agree with T10: Glade Guard Scouts follow all the normal rules of any other Glade Guard, except for the close-range strength boost (the special rule specifically rules out GG Scouts). A popular build in this area is to give them the magic banner that prevents enemies from marching within 12".

Kerrahn
19-11-2007, 10:23
This is kinda cool to know, I just thought Scouts in general could only take Champions for some reason...

Then again, I never take Command units on my Glade Guard anyway now (except for the Champion), because they nearly always break and get run down in combat, and give the enemy an almost free 100pts

T10
19-11-2007, 11:29
You might want to take the standard if you field a character with them. It gives you a better chance to accept a charge from a fast cavalry unit and win, which is preferable to having to fall back and spend a turn rallying.

The musician is also provides the nice ld bonus to rallying, which can be alife-saver for scouts operating a good distance from the general.

The champion is a better shot, but is he worth it? Hard to say. If you are limited in number of models (i.e. you don't want to take more than a certain number to avoid a unveildly unit), then a champion improves yout "killy-ness" by improving accuracy. Otherwise, taking more models is usually more cost-efficient...

-T10

Defender of Ulthuan
20-11-2007, 20:33
Thanks for your thoughts, all!
I'll be using a champion sometimes, but I just will not use a SB or Musician. I just think a banner (look at me!) or a musician (loud noise) is far too unfluffy for a unit of scouts...
Regardless, thanks again, and I'll be taking your advice.

Griefbringer
20-11-2007, 22:03
I think hunting horns can be quite fluffy on scouts (you don't have to play them all the time), but that might be a matter of taste. Drums would be a bit odd, though.

Flypaper
21-11-2007, 00:24
The champion is a better shot, but is he worth it? Hard to say.
In my experience, whether or not you want to put a champ in a shooting unit is determined by what kind of Stupid Challenge Tricks (tm) the unit is likely to go up against.

Got a wizard hiding in the unit? Give it a champ so you can challenge away pesky solo heroes who are wizard-hunting. Otherwise? Drop the champ so your opponent doesn't get free overkill and negate your ability to strike back.

@Defender: How about if you model a musician as doing bird calls? :p

Chicago Slim
21-11-2007, 23:25
Addressing the musician/flavour question:

Musicians are easy for me to visualize in a scouting unit: they're the first in, and use the sounds from the instruments to guide the rest of the army into position.

The bird call is a great example. Real-world historical examples of forward-deployed forces using noisemakers to signal the following army include flutes/fifes (mostly in Europe, Asia and South America), trumpets (mostly in Europe and the US), and drums (mostly in Africa and the Middle East).

Defender of Ulthuan
22-11-2007, 14:31
Just to interject, I love that birdcall idea :)