PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be Discontinued Paints

Atrum Angelus
19-11-2007, 03:59
I brought this up in a previous thread but didn't have the list around. I have the list of all the paints being discontinued. I've been telling all the people I can at work, so that the people who use the colours can grab extra.

Brazen Brass
Midnight Blue
Fiery Orange
Bronzed Flesh
Tenticle Pink
Bad Moon Yellow
Terracotta
Mixing Pot
The ink line

Grab the ones you use while you can. The ink line won't be gone completely, per se, it is being replaced by a newer, better line of inks.

violenceha
19-11-2007, 04:01
Tenticle pink!?! but it's the only pink there is. Are these being replaced with new shades?

ehlijen
19-11-2007, 04:03
Why are they removing the entire ink line? Unless they are going to be replaced by something similar, what are we supposed to do instead? Use competitors?

Edit-Dangnation! That teaches me for not reading to the end.

Atrum Angelus
19-11-2007, 04:05
Tenticle pink!?! but it's the only pink there is. Are these being replaced with new shades?

Not to my knowledge. All I know is the Pink doesn't sell well.

lol, ehlijen, was about to reply to that. :P

Khorghan
19-11-2007, 04:16
well this *********** sucks

Pink doesent sell well? so they get rid of it entirely-good job games workshop, real smart

redbaron998
19-11-2007, 05:40
They are getting ride of Brass,,,well might as well get ride of Grey Knights and anything Khrone......GW B@$!@&DS

AND MIDNIGHT BLUE, sorry Night Lords, we didnt feel taking your rules away was enough so we are gonna take your colours to....

Bidiot Dwarf Stomper
19-11-2007, 05:41
Some of these colours are really useful and I have used them too.

But "Terracotta", can't think of a singe use for that one, as it doesnt go with any of the other browns in the range.

Anyone used it on anything.

Bidiot.

Atrum Angelus
19-11-2007, 05:47
Now, though they are getting rid of colours, rumor is that there are new Foundations coming out in the next year. Personally, Pink is a good candidate for the move. And I'm hoping that more Foundations, whether they are new colours or old Citadel colours, because I love the Foundations.

Griefbringer
19-11-2007, 06:27
I would think that pink is primarily favoured by Slaaneshi players.

devolutionary
19-11-2007, 06:37
It is also used extensively in Tzeentch forces. It's an odd one to pull with the recent release of Chaos.

Ravenous
19-11-2007, 06:48
Brazen Brass

Boltgun + tinbitz, not a real lose here.

Midnight Blue

Going to have to :wtf: this one, but Necron abyss is the same so I guess it works out

Fiery Orange

Not to pleased with that since its a key part in fire dragons, mixing white into blazing will work to a degree but none the less.

Bronzed Flesh

Good for NMM gold, but besides that no biggie, easily replacable.

Tenticle Pink

Blood Red + Skull white.

Bad Moon Yellow

I thought this was already gone. I think its the only paint I have never bought.

Mixing Pot

Old ink pots + water.

Grab the ones you use while you can. The ink line won't be gone completely, per se, it is being replaced by a newer, better line of inks.

Ya the foundation inks are on the way, though Im not keen on the foundation paints due to thier vast suckage, Im hoping the inks work out better.

Some of these colours are really useful and I have used them too.

But "Terracotta", can't think of a singe use for that one, as it doesnt go with any of the other browns in the range.

Anyone used it on anything.

Bidiot.

Terracotta is used for blood ravens and its the best brown base for reds.

It still can be achieved through mixing red with scorched brown or beastial brown.

Atrum Angelus
19-11-2007, 07:19
Ya the foundation inks are on the way, though Im not keen on the foundation paints due to thier vast suckage, Im hoping the inks work out better.

Really? I love the foundations. I've had nothing but great painting with them. Personally, they work really well for me.

Higgen
19-11-2007, 07:49
I rather like the Mixing pots. Not everyone has extra pots sitting around, and the ones I've tried from Arts & Crafts stores generally suck muchly. They're great for mixing up large quantities of colors that I use often. However, it won't effect me much now that I do have old pots that are empty. When I started, though, I had to buy two empties. I'm going to have to stock up on Bronzed Flesh. It's absolutely vital to my army. I use it and Chaos Black to highlight black cloth.

spaint2k
19-11-2007, 08:26
Dammit, are they going to be making their inks in China too? I can't have paints that are made in China, I might end up poisoning myself on them...

Steve

scarletsquig
19-11-2007, 08:33
Terracotta

It's a good subtle highlight for dark flesh, I've used it on tomb kings before.

I'll pick up a few pots before it goes.

As for all the other paints, Coat d'arms still sells them if anyone wants them, they're GW's old supplier, and the colour match is exact:

http://www.gladiator.clara.net/equivale.htm

The brass may be a little different though, since GW's metallics are the best I've used.

I'd have to recommend P3's "brass balls" as a replacement.

As to why they're doing this.. who knows? Maybe the paints were drying up on the shelf before they could sell them thanks to their crappy pots, but that's no reason for them not to continue selling them online.

Ravenous
19-11-2007, 09:41
Really? I love the foundations. I've had nothing but great painting with them. Personally, they work really well for me.

I’ve had the opposite with them, but it probably just comes down to personal preference, so I won’t hold it against you. :D

McMullet
19-11-2007, 10:58
Midnight Blue is a pretty awful colour - it looks like a nice dark blue, but when it dries it becomes a sort of glossy, metallic purple.

I use Terracotta as a base for the inside of the mouths of my Lizardmen.

I don't mind that they're pulling brass, because brass is one of the metallics that Vallejo do as well as Citadel.

Never used the others so I can't comment - though I'll be interested to see revamped inks.

BigRob
19-11-2007, 11:01
So these colours they are removing can easily be replicated by mixing paint you say.....

Why sell one pot when you can sell two! Good planning or odd coincidence? Given the profit hungry nature of the Games Workshop Tyrants I know where my bet is.

Its like when they binned the spray paints. Why spend £5 on a can to do your space marine company, instead you can buy 20 odd pots of the same colour! and take 20 times as long!

swordwind
19-11-2007, 12:11
Just get "Miniature Paints" from a LGS. Exactly the same colours, bigger pot and cost £1.

MoopMoop
19-11-2007, 12:25
So these colours they are removing can easily be replicated by mixing paint you say.....

Why sell one pot when you can sell two! Good planning or odd coincidence? Given the profit hungry nature of the Games Workshop Tyrants I know where my bet is.

Its like when they binned the spray paints. Why spend £5 on a can to do your space marine company, instead you can buy 20 odd pots of the same colour! and take 20 times as long!

Or you could simply assume, correctly this time, that Games Workshop simply discontinues those colors with few sales. Simple as that. In all cases those paints listed in the first post have other colors close in their spectrum that could be used for blending. Not everyone needs, or want, everything served on a silver platter. And if those that do are too few to warrant the product, then there is all sense in the world for GW to cancel it.

And also, do you really think that Games Workshop as an institution is retarded enough to think that providing fewer alternatives to players would mean more revenue? Honestly, nobody is forcing you to restrict yourself to GW paints, GW Spray (like there's no substitutes? sheesh), GW Brushes, GW Tools etc.

Gaebriel
19-11-2007, 13:25
And also, do you really think that Games Workshop as an institution is retarded enough to think that providing fewer alternatives to players would mean more revenue?
...:p

Well, considering what they did with their bitz archive and are doing with their rules systems, they do... :angel:

Count Sinister
19-11-2007, 13:41
Terracotta is a great highlight coat to use over Scorched Brown, particularly if you're painting monk-type figures. I used it a lot in my Bretonnian army. It's also very useful if you build terrain. It's the perfect paint for terracotta roof tiles. Obviously. Maybe there'll be something similar in the upcoming foundations.

Bloodknight
19-11-2007, 13:54
I see all colors over time being replaced by foundations so this is probably stuff for the next wave.

CaptainSenioris
19-11-2007, 14:01
Both Bad Moon Yellow and Bronzed Flesh used to be in the starter sets, not so essential now I guess.

I think I only ever used the Bad moon on my striking scorpians as it is about as radioactive as Scorpian green.

I liked Brazen Brass may have to get a couple

MoopMoop
19-11-2007, 14:02
:p

Well, considering what they did with their bitz archive and are doing with their rules systems, they do... :angel:

Err... no? Strangling the bitz archive surely lost them revenue, they weren't expecting to have more sales through selling less (Does that make sense?) On the other hand it's perfectly reasonable to expect a balance sheet improvement (Note; NOT the same thing as revenue) if you terminate non profitable parts of the business.

And concerning the rules I'm not sure where you're heading at. Last time i checked GW still publishes roughly the same amount of Codexes for each army choice out there as they did before. If anything, Any Codex today is more elaborate, expensive and pimped out than the early 3rd edition ones.

Sureshot05
19-11-2007, 14:23
Brazen Brass
Midnight Blue
Bronzed Flesh
Tenticle Pink

I'm really surprised they are getting rid of these. Of the most recent paints I bought, these were four of them (yes I know, obviously I'm in a sales minority!). I'm very very surprised they are getting rid of the pink though. It seems daft to not have the full spectrum in store.

Thanks for the warning though. I shall nip down and pick up at least four or five pots of top three as I really don't want to run out of them any time soon. Especially midnight blue. One last thought:

GW: "We have a full range of colours, except for pink because thats kinda girly..."

Auzu
19-11-2007, 14:29
Bad Moon Yellow

Wait isn't that like the only good yellow?

Thommy H
19-11-2007, 16:28
Bronzed Flesh seems an odd choice to remove, given that it's been the basic (white) skin colour for GW for as long as I can remember. It always used to come in the starter paint sets as your flesh tone for beginners.

CaptainSenioris
19-11-2007, 16:31
Wait isn't that like the only good yellow?

I'd say it was the worst due to it's almost radioactive qualities. Golden and sunburst yellow's nicer but that's just my personal opinion.

GW didn't totally remove the bitz order, they're bringing it back next year just sorting it out in the meantime.

ChaosMaster
19-11-2007, 16:45
I've known about this for some months, but couldn't get a list of the colours to be discontinued until now. GW needs the rack space for the new ink line, so the worst selling colors got the axe. Thanks for the detailed colour list!

Reaver83
19-11-2007, 17:00
Not brazen brass, i use shed loads!

Polonius
19-11-2007, 17:15
It's a shame that they're cutting paints. I don't use GW paints for much, but their metallics including the brass were top notch.

I think GW is realizing that it's competing not just within it's line of paints, but with Vallejo, PP, and reaper paints. Vallejo has not only the game range, but also a model range of well over a hundred paints, allowing them the luxury of stocking bizarre colors like pink.

I think it's interesting that they're cutting midnight blue. Dark blues are actually harder to get than people think: yellows and reds tend to be the big test of a paint line, but a good dark blue is actually pretty rare. I still treasure an ancient pot of Ral Partha Paladin blue for those few times when I want Navy Blue.

mistformsquirrel
19-11-2007, 17:22
No big loss to me. I've been buying "Apple Barrel" paints from Wal-Mart. I'm sure they're not quite the same quality; but they cover well and mix nicely, plus they're pretty darn cheap, 2 bucks for a good sized tube. Only downside is there aren't a whole ton of colors; but mixing takes care of that.

Dodgy Ed
19-11-2007, 17:50
As one of Warseer's resident speed painter I will be most upset if the ink range is pulled in particular Chestnut ink. I go through so much of that stuff it's unreal; I'd say the last £50 or so of my GW purchases have been chestnut ink!

Stella Cadente
19-11-2007, 17:57
Just get "Miniature Paints" from a LGS. Exactly the same colours, bigger pot and cost £1.
its what I'm doing, GW can take there paints and shove them, after using the MP range of paints, why would ANYONE want GW's crap

Atrum Angelus
19-11-2007, 19:25
:p

You do realize that the bitz archive already half classics. Models that aren't made anymore. When those bitz are gone there gone. Just because they shrink their bitz archive isn't because they are money grubbing ******s. Its because they are running a business properly. No matter what company it is, if something doesn't sell you stop selling it because its a drain on resources.

The Guy
19-11-2007, 19:30
Midnight blue? :(
But I love that colour!
And I need it for my SM chapter!
And my inquisitorial stuff!
:cries:

Gaius_Baltar
19-11-2007, 19:33
That uber sucks... I really need flesh wash to do quick shading for my guardsmen when I'm painting a whole bunch at once, as well as for the finishing touches on rust.

Reaver83
19-11-2007, 19:41
it's going to be like when they had the petrol shortages a couple of years ago, mass stockpiling and hoarding, first thing tomorrow i'm buying all the flesh wash in the south of england, all of it you hear!

Darnok
19-11-2007, 19:51
Now that is some bad news for me.

I just recently started a new army with Midnight Blue as the main base colour. I'm very pleased with the results, so I won't change anything. I also love Red Ink. It's the colour of choice to achieve my preferred red.

Thanks for the early warning, I'll have to get some stock of the colours I need. :cries:

yabbadabba
19-11-2007, 20:03
I see the usual round of anti-gw comments have come flying out again - for what?

Brazen Brass
Midnight Blue
Fiery Orange
Bronzed Flesh
Tenticle Pink
Bad Moon Yellow
Terracotta
Mixing Pot
The ink line

That GW might seek to improve their paint line and it's profitability is a good thing.
The range of paints is controlled by the studio - so any criticism of some going should directed at the painters who tell the company what should stay and what should go.
Some of these paints will be replaced by foundation equivalents - as is already mentioned for inks.
It is unlikely that GW is going to respond to the market having alternatives on sale. So it is nice to hear that PP or who-ever has a great set of paints but in the end why should GW give a monkeys? The amount they sell compared to GW is a drop in the ocean. GW sold more in paints than Airfix's entire turnover for 2006/7 (GWUK's trade figures quote).
You have plenty of time to get all the paints you need. Or to find alternatives. Where is the problem there? Why not be positive and help people find alternatives?

Supremearchmarshal
19-11-2007, 23:07
Damn! I use 4 of the listed colours. Thanks for the warning...

the anti santa
19-11-2007, 23:17
Brazen Brass: No great loss, I've always found it to be a really weak paint, beaten copper from the classic metallic paints set was far superior and Dwarf Bronze is better too.

Midnight Blue: Not sure about this colour, don't use dark blue very much.

Fiery Orange: I'm really gonna miss this colour, this is the strongest orange and I've gone through a lot of these (well i did paint over 100 slayers for SoC) highlighting red will be much harder.

Bronzed Flesh: I'm not a big fan of the current version of this, it's a bit weak and too yellow, I just go straight to elf flesh now. I'm suprised that it's going though, it should be one of the most used colours.

Tenticle Pink: Mixing red and white is better, the classic titilating pink was a wonderful bright pink, great to paint with but not much use in most armies.

Bad Moon Yellow: All GW's standard yellows are pretty poor in the current range, golden yellow used to be good. this is far too bright to be of much use and the foundation paints make it obsolete.

Terracotta: A classic colour that was brought back, I use this for all the little pouches and extra bits to add variety to the mid browns. I like it as leather, very useful for LOTR models and fantasy.

Think it's time to stock up on a couple of these though.

thearchiver
19-11-2007, 23:43
Thankfully I still have a few pots of all of these.

Helii I still have a pot of the first Striking scorpion green, you know the stuff in the smooth pot witht he impossable to get off lid :)Thankfully I still have a few pots of all of these.

Hell I still have a pot of the first Striking scorpion green, you know the stuff in the smooth pot with the imposable to get off lid, thou now the entire lip of the lid has broken away so it has just got a flat bit of plastic for a lid :)

It lives with my green and blue metallics.

Winimperial
20-11-2007, 00:12
Bronzed Flesh? No! Thats a main color for flesh! I use it on every one of my guardsmen. I'll probally have to grab a few quickly, but then again, I could just paint the other 1/4 of my army I haven't painted yet to be black.

Pokpoko
20-11-2007, 00:36
Terracotta: A classic colour that was brought back, I use this for all the little pouches and extra bits to add variety to the mid browns. I like it as leather, very useful for LOTR models and fantasy.
also really nice for doing dark-but-not-black skintones. looks great,far better than the dark flesh imo.well,i'm slowly chaningin my paint collection to Game Colors anyway,but it's always sad to see a part of the range go away-i was quite gutted when they phased out storm blue which was my main color for the tau i started painting then><

theunwantedbeing
20-11-2007, 00:39
I still have some dark green ink.....nearly a full pot come to think of it.
Got a couple of pots of midnight blue as well.
So I'm safe for now.

cailus
20-11-2007, 01:13
Definitely going to miss brazen brass.

As a Bad Moon player I am NOTgoing to miss Bad Moon Yellows- awful colour with next to no coverage. You need numerous coats to get even moderate results.

Purgator Sovereign
20-11-2007, 01:33
I hope Vallejo won't discontinue accordingly. I don't think so, though. I think that that pink-loving sales minority will migrate to Vallejo :angel:

I was planning on getting some Bad Moon Yellow to highlight my Sunburst Yellow Imperial Fists. Brazen Brass looks good too.

Ravenous
20-11-2007, 05:04
Midnight blue? :(
But I love that colour!
And I need it for my SM chapter!
And my inquisitorial stuff!
:cries:

Use Necron Abyss in the foundation range, its basically the same thing.

GW: "We have a full range of colours, except for pink because thats kinda girly..."

Its true, they should just name the game warhammer: Sausage fest.

The only female models that aren't nuns or chicks with "junk" are in the eldar range.

I honestly believe their sculptors have no clue how to do a proper female model.

Vaktathi
20-11-2007, 05:08
mmm...Given that I just switched my Iron Warriors over to Brazen Brass from Shining Gold this makes me a sad panda. It did the shiny gold well enough without being a punch in the face and was more cooperative with the brush as well (maybe thats just me though).

Ravenous
20-11-2007, 05:17
Have we gotten any word on the foundation inks yet?

Because having the choice between chestnut, brown, and flesh inks is far better then generic Mr. skin paint.

Depending on the quality and range of the new colours, this might just be the straw that sends me finding other paint companies (something I should have done already). Because right now I hate the foundation range, and if those are the "future" then they can just go and bugger off.

ChaosMaster
20-11-2007, 05:40
I bought my last jar of Brazen Brass tonight and a Tentacle Pink too. I passed the list to others at my local Battle Bunker and one friend of mine also bought some Brazen Brass. Thanks again for the specific list!

TCUTTER
20-11-2007, 06:05
damn it, midnight blue is like the main colour i use for shading on my marines, looks like a visit to gw tomorrow for a few pots, might buy a couple of others too, i need brass eventually, seems like nows a good time to get it...

necron abyss is similar but theres something about midnight that it doesn't replicate.

ChaosMaster
20-11-2007, 06:15
Midnight Blue dries with a purple tinge to it, Necron Abyss is genuine dark blue without a hint of purple in it. Both good colours, but different.

crandall87
20-11-2007, 19:23
Well if these are getting replaced with foundation versions then I don't see any problem. You can already use Necron Abyss to replace midnight blue. If there is not a foundation pink coming out then GW deserve to be moaned at.

TheBigBadWolf
20-11-2007, 19:47
I doubt they would get rid of the mixing pot.
Its an empty pot they dont even need to put a label on it why wouldthey get rid off it

ChaosMaster
20-11-2007, 21:39
I doubt they would get rid of the mixing pot.
Its an empty pot they dont even need to put a label on it why wouldthey get rid off it
Because it occupies space that is now needed on the paint rack for the new line of inks that will be released. It's not a big seller, so it will be gone, like seven other of the least popular items on the rack. The ink line, by the way, is the reason for the discontinuation. Inks are coming back after being altered, so if you love some of the current ink colours you may wish to pick up some of those, because who knows what they'll look like after they've been reformulated.

Vic
20-11-2007, 22:14
HOLY CHRISTMAS! GW paint isnt the only paint out there...

Use a better paint. Who cares what GW does with paint? Go with Delta Ceramacoat. Much better pigment, much better coverage, much better range, REALLY REALLY LOW PRICE for a HUGE tube.

Atrum Angelus
21-11-2007, 01:58
Forgot one from the list:
Scaly Green.

And I have a date now from our Regional Manager today. It will be by June 2008 that the line will be discontinued.

TheWarSmith
21-11-2007, 02:04
Some of those colors are needed for little bits of higlighting and stuff.

How the hell do Slaanesh players paint now?

They're getting rid of all the inks????

Lord Martel
21-11-2007, 03:01
Ladies and Gentleman might I recommend to you Vallejo paints. Their paint lines consist of “Game Colors” and “Model Colors”.

Game Color is specifically for the fantasy miniature painter. All of the paints being decommissioned can be found in this line, and some extra that will add greatly to your painting pallet. These colors blend very nicely with the GW range, seriously not many people can tell the deference.

Model Color is more for the military history miniature painter. There is a huge selection of paints (150+?) and the colors are great. Not a lot on the shinny bright end of the spectrum, but for darker blues, yellows, and reds I have not found their equal. Their lines of grey and brown paints are fantastic, and include lighter paints that allow for great highlights in those colors.

The paint comes in an eye dropper bottle, and it doesn't seem to dry out like GW paints. Also, the amount of paint you use is easier to control, just watch out for a clogged nozzle. (I keep a small pin handy). One of the negatives of Vallejo is you need a paint dish or pallet. You can’t paint from the bottle.

Hope this helps.

TheBigBadWolf
21-11-2007, 10:48
Is this just a US thing or has there been any UK conformation, i only ask as it could be due to the chemicals contained in the paints for shipping. The US has some strange regulations like Irn Bru is banned:wtf: in the US

Jedi152
21-11-2007, 11:01
They're getting rid of all the inks????
Read the first post again.

Reaver83
21-11-2007, 11:02
i spoke to the manager at my store last night he said as far as he knew there were no plans to discontinue these paints. He sis mention he didn't know anything beyone May though

tau_caste
21-11-2007, 14:50
OK so this i a bit sucky but ill live. i used bronzed flesh to highlight my tau (always had it sitting around and no use for it, then it struck me lol)

Tentacle pink i used on my tongues for tyranids "NOOOOOOO" not the tongues woopdy doo

Bad moon yellow sucks as it seems way too watery needing about 1000 coates to get a good colour

Blue.. ok used a few times on my eldar weapons, will live

de Selby
21-11-2007, 16:18
I brought this up in a previous thread but didn't have the list around. I have the list of all the paints being discontinued. I've been telling all the people I can at work, so that the people who use the colours can grab extra.

Brazen Brass
Midnight Blue

Bronzed Flesh

The ink line

Bah. I use these four extensively. How annoying.

god octo
21-11-2007, 17:54
Oh noes! My sisters armour colour is Midnight blue. I'll have to branch out and find a new source.

Lezta
21-11-2007, 18:15
I'd have thought Brazen Brass is used a lot. Certainly I use it for a lot of things.

Midnight Blue is a real loss for me though - I use it for my Eldar. Hmm.

Green Grot
21-11-2007, 18:31
No! I needed Terra-cotta and Brazen Brass. Meh.

bluey
21-11-2007, 18:33
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cries::cries::cries::cries:

anytthing but midnight blue!!!!!

I love it pearlescent effect , it rules!!!!!

Atrum Angelus
22-11-2007, 02:07
i spoke to the manager at my store last night he said as far as he knew there were no plans to discontinue these paints. He sis mention he didn't know anything beyone May though

This comes straight from a the top. GW Canada just had its Managers conference and all of them were told and it was past downward. It's happening through GW globally, but isn't happening until June 2008.

brother malthius
22-11-2007, 03:26
Ladies and Gentleman might I recommend to you Vallejo paints. Their paint lines consist of “Game Colors” and “Model Colors”.

Game Color is specifically for the fantasy miniature painter. All of the paints being decommissioned can be found in this line, and some extra that will add greatly to your painting pallet. These colors blend very nicely with the GW range, seriously not many people can tell the deference.

Model Color is more for the military history miniature painter. There is a huge selection of paints (150+?) and the colors are great. Not a lot on the shinny bright end of the spectrum, but for darker blues, yellows, and reds I have not found their equal. Their lines of grey and brown paints are fantastic, and include lighter paints that allow for great highlights in those colors.

The paint comes in an eye dropper bottle, and it doesn't seem to dry out like GW paints. Also, the amount of paint you use is easier to control, just watch out for a clogged nozzle. (I keep a small pin handy). One of the negatives of Vallejo is you need a paint dish or pallet. You can’t paint from the bottle.

Hope this helps.

And don't forget their empty bottles go for 58 cents a piece. Thats almost half of what GW charges for their craptastic empty pot.
But seriously, more than anything, the eye-dropper bottle sells me on Vallejo over the "spill a big glob onto the rim of the pot every time you open it if it isn't completely dried out yet" design of GW's.

bdo
22-11-2007, 05:43
oh not.. not midnight blue and not bad moon yellow... i use midnight blue as first coat for my marines... and bad moon yellow was always my highlight colour for yellow :(

gruubii
22-11-2007, 06:00
Fiery Orange
Bronzed Flesh
Tenticle Pink
Bad Moon Yellow

These surprise me, totally out of left field, though I do seem to use bad moon yellow as a glaze more than a paint, but Tenticle Pink I think its one of the oldest colors in the range with a GW name. and its more useful than most give it credit.
Well I do have every color many from the early 90's so when I run out I guess i'll just be forced to go to other paints. Yes, I can mix my own, but I want consistiancy, which is pretty hard and usualy ends up with some waste. That and Bronzed Flesh do to an WD article became the basis for my warpspider wraithbone.. Midnight Blue.. well I don't have any I threw it harshly away gleefully as it kept bleeding though and into everything. The loss of Scaly Green also, sadining.

Yeah, I have rescued and revived the paints from the days of red toped glazes, but the damned bolt shaped era dry to rocks. *Shakes fist at Tin Bitz (the worst)*

Wickerman71
22-11-2007, 06:33
Brazen Brass Always thought it allot of paints Tinbitz, Brazen Brass, Dwarf Bronze & Sinning Gold. Between the Brass & the Bonze I feel the bornze is a better paint.

Midnight Blue Totaly out classed by Necron Abyss' I had the same experiance another poster has it looks like a nice dark rich blue but looks like a purple gloss when dry.

Fiery Orange I will miss this color but it's by no means a must have item.

Bronzed Flesh Tallarn Flesh is the new Human flesh & it works great. GW has a fair amount of flesh tones I feel it could afford to lose one & Dwarf, Elf, Dark, Tanned & Rotting are far more useful.

Tenticle Pink It sounds stange at first but I have never purchased a bottle & if I was to need a pink I would use Warlock Purple with Skull White.

Bad Moon Yellow Paid for a bottle once & got rid of it soon after to thin & not near enough pigment. two yellows & Iyanden Darksun foundation should be fine

Terracotta Never thought there was enough seperation between Terracotta & Dark Flesh. Plus their is another red base to choose from in Mechrite Red foundation.

Mixing Pot :eek:Are GW paint pots so good that people would actually want empty ones:eek:

The ink line All I can say is they better not screw up the successor to Flesh Wash. I also hope they come up with a better container as i'm a little sick of cleaning up ink.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
22-11-2007, 06:36
As long as Coat D'Arms (http://www.blackhat.co.uk/) is still making paints, this isn't going to bother me too much. For every intent and purpose, they are the old Citadel Color range anyway - and they cost less and you get more paint per pot - without the need for a pallet.

Jellicoe
22-11-2007, 08:40
christ on a bike

fiery orange is my highlight choice for my tyranids as well as buckets of chestnut and red ink

Inks make my models passable, aieee!

Darnok
22-11-2007, 09:16
Midnight Blue Totaly out classed by Necron Abyss' I had the same experiance another poster has it looks like a nice dark rich blue but looks like a purple gloss when dry.

Well, I for example need it for exactly that effect. I want the purple shade, and it has something to do with the pigments used in MB. Thus Necron Abyss is not an alternative. I'll have to do a serious search in other colour lines...

Wyatt
22-11-2007, 21:53
Will this effect the £150 paint case? (Or the price of, at least?)

RavenMorpheus
22-11-2007, 22:22
Now, though they are getting rid of colours, rumor is that there are new Foundations coming out in the next year. Personally, Pink is a good candidate for the move. And I'm hoping that more Foundations, whether they are new colours or old Citadel colours, because I love the Foundations.

I'd lay money on the "current ordinary" range being phased out in favour of the foundation paints, and this kind of confirms that imo.

But what the hell are we to use instead of Bronzed Flesh in the meantime? :wtf:

GW really do need to start considering the end-user not the shareholders imo. Pink doesn't sell well, so what! Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot - the shareholders don't get as much money if it doesn't :rolleyes:

bomblu
22-11-2007, 22:30

Hope this helps.

agree with you 100%...vallejo are the best set of paints i'v ever used...only funny thing are the game colour names...too gw-ish, but they're way better

Angelwing
22-11-2007, 23:12
I grabbed a couple of chestnut inks and a pot of terracotta to try. I'll only forget and miss them otherwise!

Wickerman71
24-11-2007, 01:16
Well, I for example need it for exactly that effect. I want the purple shade, and it has something to do with the pigments used in MB. Thus Necron Abyss is not an alternative. I'll have to do a serious search in other colour lines...

:eyebrows:It makes no sense to call a paint color blue when it turns purple, wether you like the error or not. Purple Ink, mix Abyss with a dark red or even darken up Liche Purple would offer up the effect your looking for.

RavenMorpheus
24-11-2007, 01:42
agree with you 100%...vallejo are the best set of paints i'v ever used...only funny thing are the game colour names...too gw-ish, but they're way better

I just had a look on google for the vallejo range and they're cheaper than the price of GW paints - are the pots the same size, because if they are I'm not buying GW paints again?

Zink
24-11-2007, 03:28
The Vallejo pots are 17 ml, GW 12 ml. So cheaper per bottle and the botles are almost 50% bigger. Comes to about 1/2 price of GW and they seem to have better pigment so I can use less paint for the same coverage. I'm happy I made the switch.

brother malthius
24-11-2007, 04:11
Also, Vallejo makes glaze medium. That stuff is so much better for thinning than water, I don't know how I lived without it. Retards the insanely fast drying time for the Citadel paints too.

Darnok
24-11-2007, 06:56
:eyebrows:It makes no sense to call a paint color blue when it turns purple, wether you like the error or not. Purple Ink, mix Abyss with a dark red or even darken up Liche Purple would offer up the effect your looking for.

It doesn't turn purple, it gets a light (!) violet shade. A subtle difference, but an important one. And it still is a blue nevertheess.

And what would be the point to mix my base colour all the time? The whole point of choosing a base colour is, that you don't have to mix the damn stuff all the time.

Purgator Sovereign
24-11-2007, 09:15
And Vallejo paints come in bottles with a dropper in front, so you just drip the amount you need and then close the bottle. There is no drying, and you can mix more accurately (not that I mix much, but technically, I can :) ).

Wintermute
24-11-2007, 10:10

and 'Model Air' which is pre-thinned for use in airbrushes.

In addition, it is rumoured the Game Color range was originally designed for GW, who decided not to adopt them.

On the subject of the colours being dropped the only one I use is Brazen Brass, and this is used for my Warmachine minis (as advised by PP before they introduced their P3 range).

As to the other colours which may be dropped, I don't think they will be missed too much and I can understand why GW are dropping them.

Hivefleet Kara'don
24-11-2007, 12:35
But what the hell are we to use instead of Bronzed Flesh in the meantime? :wtf:

Vomit Brown. It's virtually Identical, just slightly darker.

The Phazer
24-11-2007, 22:27
As long as Coat D'Arms (http://www.blackhat.co.uk/) is still making paints, this isn't going to bother me too much. For every intent and purpose, they are the old Citadel Color range anyway - and they cost less and you get more paint per pot - without the need for a pallet.

Agreed - it remains a superior range IMO. However, the GW metallics area bit better, so I might grab a few pots of Brazen Brass while I still can.

Phazer

Agrip. Varenus Denter
25-11-2007, 08:43
Agreed - it remains a superior range IMO. However, the GW metallics area bit better, so I might grab a few pots of Brazen Brass while I still can.

Phazer

This is true - I noticed that the golds and bronzes aren't as good as Citadel - but the more silvery-types seem fine.

It's also nice to see that someone else has given Coat D'Arms a go ... instead of all the "where am I going to get this?" and the "well, try this brand which is more expensive, thick-arsed and not-the-same color" instead of just getting the same paints in a larger pot for cheaper. ;)

Vallejo is fine for what it is - it is a nice paint line in and of itself. But it's never going to replace a Citadel paint as far as color matching.

Zink
25-11-2007, 15:27
Vallejo is fine for what it is - it is a nice paint line in and of itself. But it's never going to replace a Citadel paint as far as color matching.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Vallejo has a larger range of colours than GW just in it's Game Colour line. I'm using both GW and Vallejo and the colours match almost perfectly. There are a few that don't. Quality wise I think Vallejo is a somewhat better. It has quirks as well but over all works better for me than the current GW paints.

I'd still use coat d'arms if it had been available here for the last 15 years. But it wasn't and I've only learned recently that it's even made at all. Unfortunately I've already stocked up on Vallejo so I won't be buying any Coat d'arms soon. As my current set runs out I'll probably give them a try again because I still have a few 20 year old pots that are usable from when they supplied GW/Citadel.

Von Bismarck
25-11-2007, 17:20
ah ha i see GWs sly plan, say they are dicontinuing paints so ppl horde em, thus increasing sales of the minority paints so they sell off all their old stock=D

seriously why is everyone having a panic attack, ive found the foundation paints to work fine as a base

Zink
25-11-2007, 18:42
It's a pain if you're doing a large army or have a favourite colour that gets discontinued. I was making a Cadian army when they came out using Jade green. 50 models painted, my paint dried out and I went to by another pot. Nope sorry, GW doesn't make that colour anymore. Might I suggest another shade of green that doesn't match? That was how I learned about Vallejo, because someone on Portent said they made compatible paints. Saved me rethinking and repainting a third of my guard army. Some like pink might not be used often but it's a colour that isn't very easy to make by mixing. I pity the Slaaneshi worshippers. Foundation paints might be as good as everyone says but that still doesn't help if it's the wrong colour!

chainer7
25-11-2007, 20:36
I can't beleive they are going to discontinue tentacle pink one of my most used colours and pretty much essential for my Slaanesh chaos army, I am not a skilled painter :( and so mixing up a pink is not an option. I shall buy as much as I can to stock up on a stockpile for my future army expansion thanks GW :cries::mad:.

selfconstrukt
25-11-2007, 21:03

Here is where GW's marketing machine comes in. The paint colors are not "too Gw-ish" since there were several other companies making paints for miniatures BEFORE GW ever did.

Many of Gw's names are VERY similar (or identical) to the old Armoury paints, remember those?

Those were the first paints I ever used, that were designed for use with miniatures, and they started the whole "skull white, chaos black" thing etc, etc.

GW didn't start the trend of weird paint names.

The Judge
25-11-2007, 23:42
Brazen Brass? I thought I bought enough of that to keep the entire company afloat! It most certainly is not "just a mix of boltgun and tin bitz," it's loss is gonna be a TRAVESTY!

... they'll replace it with something, I'm sure.

Count Sinister
25-11-2007, 23:48
Just went out and stocked up on Terracotta and Flesh Wash over the weekend. I use those colours a lot, and will be sad to see them go. Not sure why they're getting rid of Terracotta, though. I was wondering if one of the reasons for phasing out some of the paints (and in my mind, this is reinforced by some of the new foundation colours) is that the trend in miniature painting at the moment seems to be for more 'natural' earthy tones, and they might also be responding to this. Could be way off on this, of course, since Terracotta is a very 'natural' colour.

brother malthius
26-11-2007, 03:02
The thing that gets me is some of these colors are used EXTENSIVELY in WD "Master Class" painting schemes. In particular, the orange and brass are used in this month's spread on the baneblade.
Terracotta was used A LOT a couple of months ago when they did the boromir on a horse guy.
So the studio is still using the colors.

Wintermute
26-11-2007, 07:59
So the studio is still using the colors.

No, the studio were using the colours several months ago.

WD is prepared three months in advance.

scarletsquig
26-11-2007, 13:57
I have a hunch that GW will be gradually replacing their regular range with the foundation range, or at least the pots that they come in.

Why?

Well, I got the new foundation starter set today (it's a good deal), and noticed that the new paints in the set (white, black, gunmetal) don't have "foundation" on their label like the rest of them, it just has "citadel black", "citadel gunmetal" on there...

OrlyggJafnakol
26-11-2007, 14:11
Throughout its history, Citadel has re-released their colours time and time again. The pots have changed at least 5 times since I bought my first colours back in '88. I suspect this is another such change. Colours come and colours go (who remembers the green and purple metallic paints?) and that is just the way it is. I like the new foundation paints and cannot wait until all the range is in similar pots. Perhaps this list of colours reflect the next batch to come out? Its going to take some time to switch over, GW and other retailers must have millions of paint pots in the old style. Any change over will have to be gradual. SLowly and steadily discountining paints is the way to do this.

I still ordered many of the paints mentioned in this thread, just to make sure you know, but it isn't the end of the world if the disappear for a while.

Perhaps all this is a 'viral marketing' exercise for GW. Spread a rumour that something is going to be stopped and woah, sales up by 50%! Wasn't there a rumour a while ago that green stuff was going to be discontinued?

ChaosMaster
26-11-2007, 18:18
(who remembers the green and purple metallic paints?)
I still have green, purple and blue metallic paints from GW.

Any change over will have to be gradual. SLowly and steadily discountining paints is the way to do this.
That makes a lot of sense, but for the fun of hobby nostalgia, I'll mention that GW has not always done it that way in the past. In the past there was a date where the new paint pot style with alterations to some of the colours was introduced and ALL of the old paint pots were yanked off the rack as of that date, at least in the actual GW stores. Of course, independent retailers generally kept the old stuff out to try and get rid of it, often putting it on sale far cheaper than the brand new paint pots. In fact, until GW developed their current "no discount sales in the stores" policy after 2003, they often put the old stuff in bargain bins themselves in GW stores. I got quite a few paints at bargain prices this way in the "old days".

Thoth62
26-11-2007, 19:26
I think out of that list, the only paint I actually use with any regularity now is Brazen brass. And that's only because that's the colour suggested for doing the metallics on the Khorne Berzerkers.

Another interesting thing to note is that it seems a good deal of people are stocking up now. Why do that when the rumoured date for the cutoff is 7 months from now?

Ravenous
26-11-2007, 22:05
Perhaps all this is a 'viral marketing' exercise for GW. Spread a rumour that something is going to be stopped and woah, sales up by 50%! Wasn't there a rumour a while ago that green stuff was going to be discontinued?

I was thinking the same thing, Im getting this checked out right now actually and should find out sometime this week if it is legit.

Afterall the OP works for GW, and considering he is in the "paint or die" competition where if you lose you buy everyone who finished a baneblade (an estimated $8500 value) which should tell you that the individual in question is a GW die hard.

Thoth62
26-11-2007, 22:18
What does that have to do with anything? I happen to know both the OP and the manager at the store personally, and I know that they would be the last people to purposefully mislead customers, even if they were told to.

Haven't we already been hearing whisperings of new paints as well as discontinued paints for the last several weeks? Now we know which paints they are.

Just because someone works for GW, doesn't mean you should automatically discredit anything they have to say when it comes to rumours.

gruubii
26-11-2007, 22:19
so I have a box full of unopened from direct sales gw fliptop paints, (the new current ones) and I just took a look at them, as I got them to replace these twist offs I have to use a wrench with. I will have to start reconditioning them already as they have become nearly solid.. unopened sense bottling.

foehammer888
26-11-2007, 23:40
so I have a box full of unopened from direct sales gw fliptop paints, (the new current ones) and I just took a look at them, as I got them to replace these twist offs I have to use a wrench with. I will have to start reconditioning them already as they have become nearly solid.. unopened sense bottling. Because unless NASA or a major aerospace company spent several million dollars developing it, its not completely airtight (and that's not really a gauruntee either). Some air will escape, and bring the evaporated paint moisture with it.

If you will store unopened paints for a long time, store them upside down. The paint seeps into any crevices, dries rather quickly, and does a very decent job at sealing the paint pot.

Foehammer

Ravenous
27-11-2007, 00:52
Just because someone works for GW, doesn't mean you should automatically discredit anything they have to say when it comes to rumours.

Of course, but it also means that we shouldnt believe everything they say without double checking it. So until then, guilty until proven innocent.

brother malthius
27-11-2007, 04:07
No, the studio were using the colours several months ago.

WD is prepared three months in advance.

Well, thats still pretty lame. "Here's how to do something. Oh yeah, we killed the paints we mentioned."

Wintermute
27-11-2007, 07:56
Well, thats still pretty lame. "Here's how to do something. Oh yeah, we killed the paints we mentioned."

Not if the studio team were not told (and why should they be) that the paints they used are to be withdrawn 12 months later.

Atrum Angelus
27-11-2007, 08:44
Of course, but it also means that we shouldnt believe everything they say without double checking it. So until then, guilty until proven innocent.

lol. That made me chuckle.

I fully expected some people not to believe me right away. But, feel free to double check, and I encourage you to do so.
I posted this here to let people know, just as I do in store and give them some time to, if need be, collect the colours they need before everyone suddenly realizes they need the colour and people scramble for it.

And just because I work for GW and am in Paint or Die doesn't mean I'm a "GW Die Hard," whatever that means. I work for GW because I love have a job that I enjoy going to work to. I need to pay for university somehow and why work doing a crap job I hate or don't enjoy. And I'm in Paint or Die because I like a good competition and love to paint. I use none-GW paints and supplies and paint none-GW tabletop games (Warmachine, Heavy Gear and Jovian).

Turel
27-11-2007, 09:50
You can replicate some colours... to get Midnight Blue, you just mix Blue Ink and Chaos Black at a 1:1 ratio to get a fairly accurate paint

Darnok
27-11-2007, 10:55
You can replicate some colours... to get Midnight Blue, you just mix Blue Ink and Chaos Black at a 1:1 ratio to get a fairly accurate paint

Great tip. Wait, they discontinue Blue Ink as well... try again. ;)

Turel
27-11-2007, 11:06
Inks are being REPLACED,not removed

Darnok
27-11-2007, 11:09
Inks are being REPLACED,not removed

Then you still can't say now, that the new Blue Ink mixed with Chaos Black will make a good replacement for Midnight Blue. It might be true for the current paints, but with those I could just use Midnight Blue as well. ;)

Turel
27-11-2007, 11:13
:) No, I can say with certainty that it will.

gruubii
27-11-2007, 14:33
oh, I do store upside down, heck I just keep them upside down all the time exept when actually using them at the moment, and it does help, I guess im just spoiled to the few old hexigon flip tops of yesteryear, that are still sealed and good after what 15 years, or these that are 1 year old...

anyway I might sell off the screwtops I have and use the flips (cause I can only keep one set fluid without wasting lots of time) and the flips are easier to open.

heretics bane
28-11-2007, 19:27
Terracotta is used for blood ravens and its the best brown base for reds.

It still can be achieved through mixing red with scorched brown or beastial brown.

I have a Blood Raven armie and ive never used Terracotta, come to think of it it would have been easier than just scorched

Lorcryst
29-11-2007, 21:32
Hmmm ... I think I'll buy the few inks that I'm missing, since those are quite vital to my painting style ...

Also, I don't really know what I'll want to paint six months from now, so maybe getting some of those that I don't already own would be a good idea ...

LoneSniperSG
30-11-2007, 04:28
Why are they removing the entire ink line? Unless they are going to be replaced by something similar, what are we supposed to do instead? Use competitors?

How the crap can they DARE plan to get rid of BRAZEN BRASS?!

Agrip. Varenus Denter
30-11-2007, 05:06
How the crap can they DARE plan to get rid of BRAZEN BRASS?!

Buy Brassy Brass from Vallejo or stock up now! :)

Flame Boy
21-12-2007, 01:35
I'm of the opinion that the old hexagon-based paints were the best, as there were some that were too thin to use well in my own pots (my striking scorpion green), but they were okay, and they seem to last long enough for me to use them years after they are discontinued.

I was painting a Carnifex for a friend using a mix of (I think) Regal Blue, Pallid Flesh, and a touch of a few other colours. it made an interesting almost pearlescent skin tone, with blue shading, but a warmer, pinkish tone blended in. I never found anything to replace pallid flesh, so getting something to match perfectly so that it reacted the same way when mixed with other paints sounded to much like chaos theory to get right to me.

I think I'll miss mighnight blue quite a lot. I'm sure it used to have another name before that, and it didn't have the odd purpley drying issue. Am I remembering that correctly? I find it a useful colour, and I'm glad I read this when I did, as I'm about to start painting some dire Avengers and Dark Reapers, and could do with the hint that Necron Abyss would be a better choice from now on.

I also find it irritating that they are getting rid of Bad Moon Yellow. It's not a paint I use in huge quantities, but I find it's great for picking out highlights. In addition, I sometimes use Fiery Orange to highlight the tips of red gemstones. I have one from the old Blood Angel paint set way back in the mists of time. It's still a bit too runny for my liking after I've have about 4 pots of Red Gore dry out since. I still prefer too thin compared to too thick. A couple of extra layers of paint applied to a model I can cope with. Finding my Red Gore/Scab Red have once again gone rock solid (they seem to take turns just to infuriate me), that's just plain irritating.

Ravenseye
24-12-2007, 06:33
Eh, whatevah :)

Having been in since 86 or so, I'm used to shifts in the lines.

I've got a set of Coat 'd Arms (er...Citadel circa 1986-whenever they went to bolter cases), and a set of Vallejo Game and Model color to keep me held just fine.

-Me

Nephilim of Sin
24-12-2007, 06:51
@ Flame Boy: I too miss Pallid Flesh. It was a great color. Furthermore, anyone have a 'secret' recipe for it?

On the note of discontinued paints, the only ones I have to agree with were the atrocious 'metallic' color paints from 5th and before. Those were just horrid, and accounted for horrid models....

xinsanityx
25-12-2007, 05:29
wow, looks like I'm done with gw paints as well, they were the only gw product i still bought from gw. I buy all their other products second hand because of their outrageous prices.

This is the second time they've discontinued a paint i was using for an army i was in the middle of painting. Really hard and time consuming to try and find or mix a matching color up.

They keep going down the road they're going I'll be done with gw period. And judging from their stock price I'll be one of the last ones to jump ship.

DonKarst0n
25-12-2007, 06:53
Storm Blue = Midnight Blue

Flypaper
27-12-2007, 02:01
Well, Midnight Blue and Fiery Orange are the only ones I use out of that list for my current army, and both in small enough quantities that I should be able to make do with just my current pots.

...Next army I'll just be sure to shift to competing paint ranges from the start, no biggie. It's only when you're halfway through a force and have to start colour-matching that it's a problem. :o

Tadite
27-12-2007, 05:54
I think I noticed in the new WD they mentioned a new line of Washes. Should fill the same function as the old inks.

What I don't understand is why we are losing the Mixing Pots! Those things are great!

Atrum Angelus
29-12-2007, 06:38
Well, Midnight Blue and Fiery Orange are the only ones I use out of that list for my current army, and both in small enough quantities that I should be able to make do with just my current pots.

...Next army I'll just be sure to shift to competing paint ranges from the start, no biggie. It's only when you're halfway through a force and have to start colour-matching that it's a problem. :o

Sadly, Midnight and Fiery are the two main colours of my Eldar Corsair Army. I'm stocking up, but am working on alternatives.

Yayale
18-03-2008, 19:36
te problem with getting rid of some of the colours is even though you can mix your own unless you mix up a large batch to store in a pot then all your models will be a slightly diff colour, doesnt look pretty. Also I hate the foundation paint pots theyre so flimsy i feel as tho im gonna break em wen i open them. and tenticle pink thts just f in ridiculous getting rid of tht not ony slanesh and er cant think of other chaos army but it can be used for chaos and tyrinid slimy wierd bits. highlights on tounges. Also i like pink lol

KeeganKatastrofee
18-03-2008, 19:45
only ones i need are fiery orange, empty paint pots, and inks

i'll just stock up real quick before they're gone
=D