PDA

View Full Version : Caledor Themed High Elves (2k)

Thoras
19-11-2007, 20:10
This is my first major attempt to pull together a fantasy army list, but i'm open to any suggestions at all.

I'm aiming to theme the army around Caledor.

Characters

Prince, Star Dragon, Armour of Caledor, Star lance, Guardian Pheonix, Talisman of Loec

Mage, 2 Dispell Scrolls

Mage, Ring of Fury, Level 2, Silver wand

Core

10 Archers

10 Archers

Special

5 Dragon Princes (Full command)
Banner of Sorcery

5 Dragon Princes (Full Command)
Banner of Ellryrion

Tiranoc Chariot

Tiranoc Chariot

Rare

Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower

Any thoughts or idea on how playable you think this is would be great. I'm keen to maintain a theme (and keep a dragon in there somewhere) but not at the cost of the army not being playable to some extent.

heinrichvoncarstein
19-11-2007, 20:18
i do't play high elves so i was wondering. Does your prince have a ward save?

Thoras
19-11-2007, 20:19
i do't play high elves so i was wondering. Does your prince have a ward save?

5+ from the guardian Pheonix

heinrichvoncarstein
19-11-2007, 20:19
skip a chariot and get another unit of knights or go for some spearmen

brambleten
19-11-2007, 20:43
maybe drop a chariot and a RBT to take 18 spears or something to hide your mage(s) in.
this would also give you a defensible core

That Guy
20-11-2007, 06:47
Caledor is a mountainous region. Chariots hate mountains. Therefore, the chariots don't make much sense in a "themed" list. Also, the chariots won't do much. They're too slow compared to everything else and too fragile to be a replacement for a battle line.

Drop them and take some Spearmen. Also, I'd consider dropping at least some archers. Archers aren't there to cause casualties. They're there for tactical rank removal, etc. One unit is just as good as two. Again, Spearmen would work here, or more Dragon Princes.

Finally, where are you putting your mages? If you take Spearmen, they can go there. Otherwise, they need mounts. I don't see putting them with the Archers as a viable option, since the Mages' powers aren't as long ranged as a long bow.

Thoras
20-11-2007, 08:19
Thanks for all the input guys. I did play with the idea of droping the mages and the chariots and taking a dragon mage. Does two dragons sound entirely viable?

Also does it make more sense to take a unit of 10 Dragon princes over two units of 5?

Thanks again.

W0lf
20-11-2007, 08:39
Thanks for all the input guys. I did play with the idea of droping the mages and the chariots and taking a dragon mage. Does two dragons sound entirely viable?

If you feild archmage on dragon and dragon amge then yes. Otherwise no.

Also does it make more sense to take a unit of 10 Dragon princes over two units of 5?

Most deffinatly not!

Archmage on dragon
Drgon mage
2x 6 dragon princes w/ banners
10 Archers
23 Spearmen (Bunker for wizards)
2 Bolt throwers

Thats good. Work out the point and try and get something close to that.

Thoras
20-11-2007, 08:51
If you feild archmage on dragon and dragon amge then yes. Otherwise no.

Most deffinatly not!

Archmage on dragon
Drgon mage
2x 6 dragon princes w/ banners
10 Archers
23 Spearmen (Bunker for wizards)
2 Bolt throwers

Thats good. Work out the point and try and get something close to that.

Why would a prince on dragon and a dragon mage not be a good combo ooi?

heinrichvoncarstein
20-11-2007, 12:48
Why would a prince on dragon and a dragon mage not be a good combo ooi?

Because if you only have one mage the opponent will probably dispel almost all your spells. You see, wizards usually work in pairs so you have enough power dice to get through the opponents defences and also if you play with only one dragon mage you are playing with an offensive wizard and offensive wizards don't work alone.

Thoras
20-11-2007, 13:05
Because if you only have one mage the opponent will probably dispel almost all your spells. You see, wizards usually work in pairs so you have enough power dice to get through the opponents defences and also if you play with only one dragon mage you are playing with an offensive wizard and offensive wizards don't work alone.

Well that makes sense :) thanks for the heads up