PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 Point Bretonnian

Kotobuki
13-09-2005, 16:35
I started a small mounted Bretonnian warband, and had opportunity to play a couple games with it. I enjoy fantasy and will likely expand to a full army. I really like the look of the knights, and how they play. It also keeps me from having to paint 27 hojillion foot sloggers. I know the proposed list is a probably a bit Knight heavy for the size... but any input would be appreciated.

Characters
Bretonnian Lord (Grail Vow) - 230
..Warhorse, Lance, Virtue of Confidence
..Gromril Great Helm, Enchated Shield

Paladin BSB (Knights Vow) - 70
..Virtue of Empathy

Damsel (L2) - 155
..Dispell Scroll (2)

Damsel (L1) - 110
..Silver Mirror

Core
Knights Errant (9) - 221
..Full command, Errantry Banner

Knights of the Realm (9) - 240
..Full command

Knights of the Realm (9) - 240
..Full command

Men at Arms (23) - 142
..Full Command (BSB & Damsel?)

Peasant Bowmen (15) - 95
..Braziers (Damsel?)

Special
Pegasus Knights (3) - 195
..Full Command

Rare
Grail Knights (5) - 190
(..Lord w/Grail Vow)

Field Trebuchet - 90

TOTAL - 1978

Okay, So... I have a couple points to play around with. Some things can be moved about a bit, I'm not totally set on anything really, including wargear, etc. Basically, I'm curious if those of you that have experience playing think this army would be any good at anything. I think I did pretty okay with the core, being as almost 50% of my army is spent there. I may have over-done it with the characters, but really... I don't want to get destroyed in the magic phase, hence the scroll caddies. I'm not a huge fan of spells and wizards and things... and I really would rather just protect myself from thier effects.

Too much magic, too little magic, trying to do too many things? Be nice, be harsh, be whatever.. I just want to know if it's a decent go before I collect it. I'm not sure about the BSB... I know I want him on foot with the Men at Arms... But I don't know about equipping him and what not. Experience and suggestions here are especially helpful.

As an aside, I know I could almost get a 9 man Questing knight unit for the cost of my KOTR unit, but I really hate the models, and refuse to spend $10 per. If I can figure out how to convert them from a cheaper plastic set, they might make it in at some point.

Muffinius
15-09-2005, 20:10
Hmm loosk good i'd say you'll win at least about 50%

Hmm maybe a slightly less expensive lord because 230 points is almost 1 8th of your points

Sir Helm
15-09-2005, 22:13
I'm new with Brets too, but have a couple of games under my belt. Some suggestions:

- You don't have any skirmishers or units to screen the grails from missle fire and with over 20% of your points sunk in the unit that could be a mistake. Are you using your bowmen to skirmish and screen? If not, you may want to get some mounted yeomen- they are fast cav as well. Or reduce the size of one of your KOTR to 6 and use it to screen and support for a flank charge. Additionally, you could put the lord in a KOTR unit and add the mounted BSB to the grails. This will improve the punch on a KOTR unit and divide your points around a bit.

- Consider mounting one or both of your damsels and including them in your KOTR units. Don't want them running with the peasants if they break. The silver mirror is generally viewed as a waste of points BTW.

- Why the BSB on foot? Trying to keep the M@A from breaking? Remember that they will use knights' leadership if you keep them close.

Try ebay for the Questing Knights. I got a box of 5 grails for $20 last week and a bret battalion for $55.

Hope this helps- I'm still learning these guys too :D

samw
15-09-2005, 23:09
Few suggestions of things that have proven there worth to me over the past two years of playing Brets:

Get a lance of errants, 9 strong with the errantry banner. For 221 points it rocks.

Put your damsels in units, MR1 is really helpful, especially against bound spells.

I prefer the silver lance/gromril great helm combo for a horse mounted lord, 1+ re-rollable and auto-hit.

Give the BSB a horse, warbanner and virtue of duty.

Drop the second damsel to lv1, drop the mirror for a scroll and chalice of malfleur.

Make the peasants skirmish

Drop the command on the pegasi.

Give command to the grails.

Lastly, as an end note, I no longer play the standard bret list as I find the Errantry War list far superior. You might wanna take a look before you choose.

http://stormofchaos.us.games-workshop.com/preview/book/campaign_book.htm

Kotobuki
17-09-2005, 02:19
I was looking at that Erranty Banner... I will likely Swap one unit of KotR for a Knights Errant unit. That should give the points to Mount to the Damsels. Swapping the Command from the Pegs to the Grail will be simple enough, same points cost... I really kinda like the idea of the Knight on foot though, with the Men at arms. Being that I'm pretty much just using the Damsels as anti-magic... I 'spose I could get away with knocking one down to L1, and taking the Chalice of Malfleur. I like the idea of ricocheting magic back at the enemy. Even if it is only once.

Angelripper
17-09-2005, 15:00
I'd personally drop the field trebuchet and get another unit of archers, both as skirmishers to shield the Lances.. The Trebuchet is nice but never worked for me as a single unit.
And as said above Knights Errant with the Errantry Banner realy rock!

made_of_metal
17-09-2005, 15:21
the trebuchet does seem a bit out of place, with your whole army charging forward it won't get that many good shots off.

and i have seen 6 KotR used very well. it is a cheap unit, fast and can hit hard to at least threaten most things. they are also good for getting around flanks or fleeing from charges of things nastier then you.

of course the guy i play brings 60-80 peasants every game as well, that is scary.

Angelripper
17-09-2005, 16:13
the trebuchet does seem a bit out of place, with your whole army charging forward it won't get that many good shots off.

and i have seen 6 KotR used very well. it is a cheap unit, fast and can hit hard to at least threaten most things. they are also good for getting around flanks or fleeing from charges of things nastier then you.

of course the guy i play brings 60-80 peasants every game as well, that is scary.

A peasent rich list is not only scary it's fun to play even if it's a bit more difficult my brets consist of 60% Peasents some with bows and some without and only 40% Knights just to support the infantry. Hard to play but very funny especialy the dull face of your opponent when mere Men at Arms stall his precious empire knights so that your small lances can smash in the flank. Well he has switched from Empire Crusade Army back to his usual Knights&Guns list when facing my brets :cheese: :D

Brother Edwin
17-09-2005, 20:35
If you want to make it more powerful make all the units 6 man.

Kotobuki
18-09-2005, 05:22
I was just thinking, and looking back through my Army Book... A good deal of my Lord's points have been spent on ensuring he does the most damage (and can survive the most punishment) in a challenge. But... What if the opponent simply refuses? I mean... he seems pretty survivable, even against say... a VC lord perhaps. But if there's no challenge... there's no way to mitigate the damage the opposing Characters can do (when they charge), and no way to ensure that he can break the backbone of the enemy when he charges. I know it's getting a little up there in the Points... but would a Gauntlet of the Duel be a good investment? He's already got the Virtue of Confidence, meaning he always has to issue a challenge... having the Gauntlet would mean that he always gets to fight a challenge (if possible). Would this be a good thing, do you suppose?

Brother Edwin
18-09-2005, 19:37
I think it would.