PDA

View Full Version : Which type of macharius do you think is cooler?

Galatan
20-11-2007, 10:47
In the same trend as a fellow poster a few threads down :P.

After long last I've finally convinced my parents to get me a macharius super heavy for christmas (ow the joy when they said yes). Only now I can't really choose:(. At first I liked the vulcan mega bolter macharius waaay more than the vanquisher pattern, but after a few looks at the vanquisher I found that one pretty cool too.

Both have pretty cool points. The vulcan pattern spits bolter shells like no tomorrow and I would be great fun just shouting 'DAKKADAKKADAKKA' while shooting it and grinding down hordes in a apoc battle, but the vanquisher has a great looking dubble-barrel and puts down 2 ordanance templates a turn (not to mention the AT shells can be scary for the baneblade).

I'm not asking you guys to make a decision for me, I'm old enough to do that. I just want to know what your experiences are/photo's of your macharius/what you like more.

Cheers,
Galatan

Norsehawk
20-11-2007, 11:07
I went for the VMB version for mine, I have a few of the LR vanquisher turrets so I have the ability to have several of those cannons on the battlefield too.

pookie
20-11-2007, 11:11
anything that can mount a VMB has to be worth it!!!!!

oh best get your order in soon if you want FW to get it to santa in time , they have recently had problems with delivery of items ( due to Apoc ).

Mr Kibbles
20-11-2007, 11:16
th vulcan without a doubt! Just love those gatilings.

The Highlander
20-11-2007, 11:20
The vanquisher one, those two huge guns just look so good.

Jark Irons
20-11-2007, 12:10
i am with you, itīs a tough decision...

for me it would come down to what i already have in my army and what kind of armies you usualy meet, since both vanquisher and vulcan are soo cool.

mmh, i think it would be the vulcan in the end...

HiveFleetEzekial
20-11-2007, 12:14
Don't have'm all yet (dang delays. "thanks apocolypse! :P ") But my detachment will have 2 Vulcans ('live long..' lol ) and one of the main. I love the overall tank design in itself, but those mega bolters are just sexy!

THE CHIEF
20-11-2007, 12:21
Mega Bolters - clue's in the title ;)

Barnaby XVI
20-11-2007, 12:29
Vanquisher Definatly

lordbeefy
20-11-2007, 12:30
Well, in terms of game wise, I would go for the Vanquisher. These tanks are simply devastating against armour, while still having a signiificant anti infantry capability with its sponsons, hull mount and pintle weapon. Using the mega bolter you have no real anti armour capability....particularly if you come up against AV14.

However

In terms of looks, and sheer fun of the model, the mega bolter is simply stunning, and if you are likely to face up against tyrannids or ork armies in any sort of numbers, will be simply astounding.

I must confess that I would face a similar dilemma. In the current climate of baneblades and apocalypse battles I would go for the Vanq. I have two vanquisher russes which have featured in two mega battles. My standard russes formed a wall around these babies and a destroyer. The ability to just reach out and destroy anything on the board was phenomenal. They really do carve through enemy tanks.

Barbarossa
20-11-2007, 12:31
Nothing says 'I hate you' like the VMB!

Ravenheart
20-11-2007, 12:53
Still undecided between Vanquisher and the VMB.

Kriegsherr
20-11-2007, 13:09
Vanquisher for sure!

For one, this is one of the few GW tanks that actually looks like a real tank thanks to the long barrels.
Then the Macharius is a big, long tank that just looks a little bit silly with the stubby short VMB Barrels.
And finally, if you were such a big fan of mammoth tanks in C&C as I was (in Generals I usually built Mammoth only armies. God I loved that speaker tower and gatling gun upgrades ;) ), the reason to take the Vanquisher is plain and simple: No other GW tank will ever look as similar to the Mammoth Tanks as the Vanquisher Macharius. Which means one must buy this variant :)

catbarf
20-11-2007, 13:15
Who doesn't want 18 shots per turn? Go with the Vulcan.

Commisar BoB
20-11-2007, 14:14
Well look at it this way. Other tanks can have Vanquishers (notably the Leman Russ) but there is only one tank that I know of that can have the VMB. You owe it to yourself, your army, and your oppontents to have the VMB.

Bunnahabhain
20-11-2007, 14:38
I have a vanquisher one and have just about finished the VMB one.

The Vanquisher one isn't as good as it should be against armour- the anti tank shots counting as twin linked is just plain silly on something so expensive. Although I've lost super heavies in one shot, you generally need lots of shots, and even if you can reasonably expect the vanquisher to hit and penetrate, it's unlikey to prove fatal on it's own if the target has structure points.

I've proxied it as the VMB one, and prefer it in game terms. 15 S6 AP3 shots? Goodbye marine squad.

Visually, I prefer the vanquisher, although I'm using converted 1:35 Tiger Is, one of which is radio controlled- working tracks and traversing turret on a 40k battlefield!

Really, just go with whichever you prefer

Godgolden
20-11-2007, 14:42
Vulkan mega bolter, purely based on its looks, its also nice to pump out 27 shots a turn (in game terms the standard one is the best) but the vulkan.. c'mooooon it is so brutally good looking its MADNESS to not get it!
No pressure =P

Baneboss
20-11-2007, 14:54
Whatever you choose you should be happy of the choice :)

paddyalexander
20-11-2007, 14:59
As soon as Isaw the VMB Macharus I new I was going to own one.

WLBjork
20-11-2007, 15:23
The Macharius "Vulcanian", definately.

Mind you, there's a use for the Vanquisher Turrets. It's called "Project Stormhammer" :D

BigBadBull
20-11-2007, 16:03
nuff said VMB... it is very cool looking too.
I'm holding out for a BB conversion kit with the VMB on it though.... ultimate City fight tank..

razormasticator
20-11-2007, 16:08
I would like one of each!

MrBigMr
20-11-2007, 16:22
I do love rotating barrels a lot, so I do have to say the vulcan one. I'm currently trying to make one with a Land Raider as my base.

Scorpion
20-11-2007, 16:51
Macharius Vulcan. Ded shooty fun, da Orky way!

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!

Captain Micha
20-11-2007, 17:20
Vulcan megabolters.. for the win.
nothing says loving like going falcon hunting with Two macharian tanks with vulcan megabolters.

Zorz Muaddieb
20-11-2007, 18:59
Watch these two youtube clips and tell me you still don't want the VMB?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ7cTI623Vg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjNDJneN010

I would be going with the VMB.

-Z

Xenocidal Maniac
20-11-2007, 19:11
Another vote for the VMB!! Just too cool. I've never really wanted a Forgeworld tank before. I want one now!

Colonel Stagler
20-11-2007, 19:16
Vanquisher, no to ways about it, the siege list is packed with anti infantry stuff, the vanquisher is what it needs, on the appearance thing, i just think the two barrels pointing at you would make you run like a small girl

Grimtuff
20-11-2007, 19:18
Why all the discrepancies in how many shots a VMB gets? :rolleyes::eyebrows:

Who doesn't want 18 shots per turn? Go with the Vulcan.

I've proxied it as the VMB one, and prefer it in game terms. 15 S6 AP3 shots? Goodbye marine squad.

Vulkan mega bolter, purely based on its looks, its also nice to pump out 27 shots a turn

Bunnahabhain is correct. It gets 15 shots per turn.

Bugstomper
20-11-2007, 19:22
Two barrels fresh, every time :)

http://www.winnermen.com/gamesworkshop/workinprogress/macharius/wipmacharius7.jpg

Galatan
20-11-2007, 19:44
lol I never expected so many replies :P.

Anyways I'm thinking on getting the VMB:D. A few months later I'm buying a baneblade (with a krieg tank commissar from FW, hell ya!!!) and I'm gonna let him do all the ordnance stuff. Even though the vanquisher has the ordnance barrage rule, I would rather have the ability to shoot my 2 ordnance shots at separate targets. Also....a VMB is a titan weapon...a titan weapon on a tank, how cool is that :D. Anyways, thnx for all the reply's:D, I really appreciate it.

Although if you still want to change my mind or show off some pics go right ahead:p

Cheers,
Galatan

Kinsley
20-11-2007, 19:49
Vulcan Mega Bolter, because the best dakka is more dakka :D

HiveFleetEzekial
20-11-2007, 19:50
Grim, at first I thought they may have been counting in the other weapons, was even giong to post saying that, but after getting the floolwing.. Nope.

VMB - 15
TL-HS - 2
Sponson HS -4 / HB 6 / HF 2

Either loadout, the 2 were still off from the total. 19 to 23 as the highest total # of shots from the thing in one turn.

Though personally, I think the VMB, standard, should be either twinlinked, or be 30 shots. Since it's got two sets of 5 HBs on it. Those would be 15 shots per 'set' anywhere else. And it is a super heavy, it should have nice big 'bad ass' guns on it.

Grimtuff
20-11-2007, 20:08
VMB - 15
TL-HS - 2
Sponson HS -4 / HB 6 / HF 2

Heavy Stubbers have 3 shots BTW, but it still makes 23....;)

TrooperTino
20-11-2007, 20:11
Vulcan fur sure! Its soooo sexy :)

aad
20-11-2007, 20:13
Watch these two youtube clips and tell me you still don't want the VMB?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ7cTI623Vg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjNDJneN010

I would be going with the VMB.

-Z

this is way better stuff.:angel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCqXbfGEPMI&feature=related

you,re gonna love it.

and yes the macharius vulcan is the most brutal thing.
and i think the weapon in this movie has more resemblance with the vulcan mega bolter.
30mm grenades against 7,62 mm bullets.:wtf:

sabouras
20-11-2007, 20:26
Vulcan Mega-Bolter...

(I always love Miniguns:D:D:D )

Galatan
20-11-2007, 20:34
Heavy Stubbers have 3 shots BTW, but it still makes 23....;)

Hmm lets see: 15 for the VMB, 6 for the 2 heavy bolters, 3 for the hull stubber= 24 shots....add another 3 when you take a pintle mounted stubber and you get 27 shots in total.

freebooter
20-11-2007, 21:41
I'm in 2 minds as to which to get too...

I've settled on the Macharius because I just don't like the Baneblade... But Vanquisher or Vulcan? I'm tempted to get the vulcan and magnetise the barrels of the Mega Bolter and scratch build some turbo laser barrels... VD the Macharius with Turbo Laser Annihilator :p
Heh...
Or alternitavely I could just continue scratch building titans lol

razormasticator
21-11-2007, 14:29
How could you not like the Baneblade.. its just beautiful. It is a busty temptress you know...

AdmiralDick
21-11-2007, 16:00
although you've already got your answer i would say the VMB as well.

from a modelling and gameplay perspective there are cheaper ways of getting vanquisher cannons into your army. if you ge the vanquisher version you will kick yourself when you play against someone with either the VMB version or a vanquisher leman russ, becuase you'll realise its a wasted opportunity. and if you get it and aren't a fan of the VMB or would just like to add vanquishers then you still can do. not a problem. adding a VMB is going to be an awful lot harder.

galahad67
21-11-2007, 16:02
I have one of each (so far - there's another VMB somewhere coming from Nottingham...)

VMB equals dead infantry (it takes a termie or equivalent to get a save...)

Vanquisher kills armour.

They both look cool and will cause your opponents to drool.

The vanquisher cannon can be replicated on a regular Russ while it take a Macharius to use a VMB - alt least until the powers that be release a BB variant.

I'ld go for the VMB if I had to choose.

Scorpion
21-11-2007, 16:55
Vulcan Mega Bolter, because the best dakka is more dakka :D

Oh so sigged!