PDA

View Full Version : Warp Drives (Star of Damocles)

Ikkaan
20-11-2007, 10:07
I know the topic is a little bit ill-defined, but ill ask nonetheless, maybe somone knows more about the topic.

Im referring to the novel "Star of Damocles". Lord Arcadius Lucian Gerrit watches as the ritual of replenishment on the warp drive of his ship is performed. Several humans in suits carry green glowing caskets in direction of the warp drive and insert them into an opening. They walk there by foot and get dissolved by the radiation, but without a sound of pain. While the imagery fits the imperiums stance of "hit it with more manpower", i wonder...what is the stuff in the caskets ? Why is it transported by servants (or in this case: death row candidates, most likely lobotomized)? What do warp drives run on? Where does the green stuff come from (no pun intended)?

Till now i was under the impression that warp drives leech power FROM the warp , and not use some mundane power source like the plasma reaction. Am i wrong?

Commander Dante
20-11-2007, 16:05
It sounds like more radiation to me.

Vaulkhar
20-11-2007, 16:08
Pure handwavium, possibly with plotlinium if he's feeling cheap?

It's never really been explained how a warp drive works. We know it has to generate a Geller Field to stop the crew getting munched and the ship hulkified and that it has to punch the ship into warpspace and back out again...but that's about it afaik.

Mechanicus
20-11-2007, 16:11
Well, I don't think (but would love to be proved wrong) that we've ever been told how it works as such. I presume that the warp engine, much like a petrol engine, requires a 'spark', or some other equivalent, to start it off... Just a guess, of course. :)

Burnthem
20-11-2007, 16:14
Sounds like the rule of cool strikes again - personally i like to think of warp drives as an exotic type of fusion/plasma reactor, possibly looking like a huge tokomak looking thing, thats powerful enough to produce not just the Gellar field itself, but the phenomenally powerful energies that are required to rip a hole from reality into the warp.

Much like modern nuclear engines on submarines, i dont see these as needing refueling very often at all, unlike a ships conventional plasma drives for real-space

But than as Mechanicus says, as far as i know there isnt any hard and fast fluff concerning warp-drives, so its anyones geuss!

my 2 pence :)

Emperor's Grace
20-11-2007, 16:15
green glowing caskets

Warpstone, anyone?

Dilithium Crystals?

Actually, Dilithium Crystals may be a good parallel.

They are not the power source but are essential to the drive.

The warp drive in Star Trek (OS) is powered by matter/antimatter annihilation but the radiation produced needs to "filtered" into usable power by the Dilithium. (Maybe a weird version of the piezoelectric effect? :) ) Essentially, the crystals act as an AC/DC transformer.

BrotherAdso
20-11-2007, 17:10
i like to think of warp drives as an exotic type of fusion/plasma reactor, possibly looking like a huge tokomak looking thing, thats powerful enough to produce not just the Gellar field itself, but the phenomenally powerful energies that are required to rip a hole from reality into the warp.

Pretty much exactly the way I see it too. They are warp drive inasmuch as they transpose the ship into warp space. The amount of energy and control required to do this is immense -- it's like trying to open a vortex bomb on yourself without frying, and staying in roughly the same spot, physically. Whew!

That said, who knows what terrible technowizardry produces that much power? Anything high-energy, like some kind of futurisitc particle reactor, needs reaction mass. It would be plausible that if one used some kind of highly unusual, charged reaction mass, the power produced could be even greater. Thus, the poor dead dupes were carrying that mysterious reactor-mass....with predictable consequences.

I love the idea that this happens fairly often, and that new vounteers for the "Ritual of Refuel" have to be culled from the reluctant crew every couple of weeks.

-Adso

TheBigBadWolf
20-11-2007, 17:31
I dont think it should be considered correct as the ships of the imperium are powered by plasma reactors so they wouldnt get refulled in that way, and besides most of an imperail ship is the plasma drive (BFG), so for a few folk with caskets it seems strange to me.

TrooperTino
20-11-2007, 17:53
I got the impression the 'casket bearers' died just by heat (it melted their flesh)... That does not have to mean they died by radiation.

after reading all posts: BrotherAdso takes the words out of my mouth :) (and has the english skills I am lacking to tell my thoughts on this^^)

BTW Warpstone? can someone pls tell me what this is (I know it in Warhammer, but not in 40k)

Norminator
20-11-2007, 18:12
On the subject of 'leeching power from the warp', there was a mention of that in relation to STCs somewhere in the fluff (although I have no idea where). When the technology that is preserved through STCs is mentioned, it is explained that most colonists used it only to make prefabricated structures and tractors and not experimental technology such as 'warp interface generators' (or something along those lines). This implies to me that such technology, whilst once existant, are no longer.

That or it was fan made stuff....

Dakkagor
20-11-2007, 18:25
Wasn't the contagion of ganymede (pg17 of the 2nd ed rulebook) an attempt to build a working "warp reactor" one that siphoned of energy from the warp?

I've always thought of imperial starships having 3 distinct components for travelling the warp and realspace: the plasma reactor engines which provide thrust and manouverabilty in realspace, the warpdrive which tears a suckering wound in reality into the warp, displacing a ship into the realm of gods, daemons and nightmares made real, and the geller field which keeps the ship sane and whole in a bubble of imported reality.

The warpdrive would probably have to generate either massive psychic energy, or some kind of strange radiation burst to open the warprift (I seem to remember that stars interfere with warprift opening. .possibly because of radiation, rather than gravimetrics?). In which case, some kind of nuclear fuel would be applicable and deadly to whoever brought it aboard the ship.

TrooperTino
20-11-2007, 18:37
Wasn't the contagion of ganymede (pg17 of the 2nd ed rulebook) an attempt to build a working "warp reactor" one that siphoned of energy from the warp?

I think that was an attempt to copy squat technology. A stabilized black hole or something like this producing endless amounts of energy. The Squats had mastered the technology to keep this madness from ex(or im,-)ploding, the admech apperently had not. But I don't remember this very good.

Tegian
20-11-2007, 18:39

The Squats were supposed to have working warp reactors (Which supposedly provides limitless energy) while the Ad Mech stopped any attempts building one after the blowup/containmanted Ganymedes. I think that fluff is from the Epic army book about the Squats and Orks.

MrBigMr
20-11-2007, 19:01
Could it be that the liquid is somesort of a coolant into the machine, rather than fuel. Or something to force the drive to build up charge faster. Doesn't it take for the Warp drive some time to get ready for another jump? Tau jump drives too, which are based on the Imperial Warp drives.

But on the other hand, it just might be a stupid solution to a simple job, the Imperial way(tm). Too bad the Emperor never consulted the Admech on the holy KISS-rule.

SonofUltramar
20-11-2007, 22:05
I think they may have some sort of catalyst to help produce the initial surge of power to bring the engines up to full power and once there the reaction would then sustain itself perhaps?

To me Warp Drives will always work by the Captain saying one of the following:

1. Make it so
2. Engage
or my favourite
3. Warp speed now Mr Sulu

:)

Tehkonrad
21-11-2007, 01:06
very true although i thought it was also fuelled by

'oy kladz get da worky-wurr bitz actamavated

Alessander
21-11-2007, 02:46
daemon hamsters on Adeptus Mechanicus brand hamster wheels. they're still the size of normal hamsters, but they glow green and can run pretty fast. you get an awful lot of mileage off of hamster-driven starships.

dr.oetk3r
21-11-2007, 04:34
What if the Engine is started by souls?

Kage2020
21-11-2007, 13:55
The idea that there might be a psychic - technomantic - component to warp drives has been explored in the past, though can sometimes be unsatisfactory since it ultimately comes down to the argument, "Well, the warp did it!" :eyebrows:

With regards to the Star of Damocles imagery, methinks that the author had recently watched something like... hmmn... The Fifth Element. I believe that there's a scene where glowing green 'rods' are inserted into the ship for power. It's not a far leap to add in pointless death to bring across the flavour of the vanilla 40k universe.

And, incidentally:

I've always thought of imperial starships having 3 distinct components for travelling the warp and realspace: the plasma reactor engines which provide thrust and manouverabilty in realspace, the warpdrive which tears a suckering wound in reality into the warp, displacing a ship into the realm of gods, daemons and nightmares made real, and the geller field which keeps the ship sane and whole in a bubble of imported reality.
Broadly agree with the first and second 'components,' though for me while the Geller Field also does that, it is also the means of propulsion through the warp -- think of them as "etheric sails," if you would. :D

Kage

Ikkaan
21-11-2007, 16:24
Well, my question is answered as far as it cant be answered since there is obviously no previously published fluff on the topic.

Chaplain Dionitas
21-11-2007, 17:41
I think they may have some sort of catalyst to help produce the initial surge of power to bring the engines up to full power and once there the reaction would then sustain itself perhaps?

To me Warp Drives will always work by the Captain saying one of the following:

1. Make it so
2. Engage
or my favourite
3. Warp speed now Mr Sulu

:)

I believe the correct pronunciation of that is:

"Warp...Speed...nowmistersulu"

Burnthem
21-11-2007, 20:13
'Out there somewhere, thataway....' (paraphrased obviously, not that much of a trekkie ;) )

Or, in best comedy pirate voice - 'Arh! The warp me-hearties! Here there be monsters! Ha-Harh!'