PDA

View Full Version : 2K High Elves, by a fantasy newb

Brush your teeth
20-11-2007, 11:48
Ok, well ive been out of fantasy for a while now (and was never very good at it when i did play it :p)

but decided to start up a high elf army as i really like the models (new and old)

so heres a trial list using mainly models i like (but i want the list to be successfull to an extent aswell)

Prince
Moon dragon
Heavy Amour
Halberd
Enchanted Shield
Guardian Phoenix
497pts

Mage
Level 2
Annulian Stone
175pts

15 spearmen
Full command
160pts

15 spearmen
Full command
160pts

15 Sword masters
Full command
255pts

15 White Lions
Full command
255pts

15 Phoenix Guard
Full command
255pts

Lion Chariot
140pts

Repeater Bolt Thrower
100pts

1997pts

Main worries are that units of 15 seem kinda small, should i try and get the units beefed up to 20 somehow? (maybe by reducing the spearman unit sizes?) and am i ok with so little ranged firepower or should i switch one unit of spearmen for archers?

Cheers, BYT

feintstar
20-11-2007, 14:00
15 is good for spears. For the others... PG need a bigger unit, WL and swords need smaller units but magical banners:

Other thing you lack is magic defense.

So I'd drop to 14 Swords with Warbanner, 14 WLs - and maybe (contraversial, this suggestion, so see fit to ignore) swap the whole PG unit for an extra mage with a D scroll and seerstaff, plus a Banner of Sorcery for the WLs. (the points for Mage, Banner of Sorc, and Warbanner are exactly the same as for the PG unit) - PG are best in large units IMO... But maybe you're right... I'm just trying to boost your magic defence.

Alternative is to add a Radiant Gem and a Dispel scroll to your prince, which would solve the problem of magic defence for far less points.

Lastly, you're shooting is virtually nonexistant - I'd consider dropping it altogether. Its too fragile as a war engine hunter just by itself, and its too little to force a static enemy to close with you. I might consider swapping for eagles, who will be very necessary for you to bait charges and the like.

Brush your teeth
20-11-2007, 14:12
ok, with those tips in mind, how does this sound

Prince
Sun dragon
Heavy Amour
Halberd
Enchanted Shield
Guardian Phoenix
Radiant Gem
Dispel Scroll
492pts

Mage
Level 2
Annulian Stone
175pts

15 spearmen
Full command
160pts

15 spearmen
Full command
160pts

14 Sword masters
Full command
warbanner
260pts

14 White Lions
Full command
240pts

19 Phoenix Guard
Full command
315pts

Lion Chariot
140pts

Eagle
50pts

1992pts

cheers, BYT

grhino
24-11-2007, 14:00
Seems OK to me... would not be list which I would play, but I always try to mix troops so that I can execute a battle plan based on cooperation between different kind of units (for example: using shooting or magic to take out fast enemy units or taking off that extra enemy rank bonus just before commiting my troops to combatting them.)

The list looks all right. Having a lot of different models on the table in big (not just 10 strong for HE's) units will certainly form a nice battleline, especially when well painted.

brambleten
24-11-2007, 14:16
im not sure you can use the halberd and the shield together, as all models with Halberds arent given shields, which sort of gives it away. if you drop the halberd and the lion chariot you can have another unit of PGs/WLs/SMs. just 10 of them with no command, or you could go for 15 more spears with no command. or you could increase the unit sizes of teh above mentioned units. other than that i think its a good list

CHOOBER SNIPES
24-11-2007, 23:23
Unless your attached to your PG in some way, id drop them for 2 units of 5 DP's. Then drop WL's and SM's to 12 each, and drop command on them other than champion. With the extra points u can bulk out your spearmen units, to use as a solid center in place of your PG. Move warbanner to spears for a little extra. SM are so killy, they dont need command, and WL are stubborn so they dont even need to win combat, just kill the enemy. In fact, units of 6-8 can work just as well if out of sight of enemy shooting and used correctly. also drop lvl 2 on mage cus u probably wont get any spells off anyway. With this list u could either A) bring the fight to the enemy with quick cav and prince on dragon and giant eagle, or u could wait for the combaty armies to come to u and u could set up some painful flank charges. ALTERNATIVELY, u could keep PG and squeeze some points out to bulk out spears. then use PG flanked by a unit of spears on each side as ur center, with WL and SM running farthest flanks. Against infantry combaty armies this can work very well. watch out for enemies that can outmaneuver u tho
Any way, looks lik a nice list

25-11-2007, 01:13
The shield will provide protection from shooting, but won't help in close combat. A better suggestion - and it i just that - would be to give him Sword of Might. Same effect, but you still get the save. A lance would also work , but its only one turn of Strength bonus. I've always though Armour of Calador is made for someone on a riden monster. That migt be your best way to get a good save and still use the halbard.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
25-11-2007, 01:33
I would give him a lance. The halberd means that your + 2 for enchanted shield is useless in combat. A halberd is a complete waste in my opinion. i agree that sword of might would be a better way to go. Armour of caledor would be the best 25 pts you could spend on him.. good luck:)

Daemeus
25-11-2007, 02:16
I like this list. I've been looking into a very similar one myself. My only concern is whether the one eagle is going to be enough. I always like to field two myself because using them to bait charges or delay flanks always seems to make them huge targets for shooting. One never seems to get the job done.