PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Asur - A 2000 pt Dark Elf Army

Dark_Mage99
20-11-2007, 11:59
This is my Dark Elf army, based around the theme of "High Elves-gone-bad" - hence the title :D. I'll go a little into the background, and post the list with a bit about each choice. Any feedback/criticism is much appreciated!

Background

Morgil is a High Elf Arch Mage, who has long been compelled by the lure of the Dark Arts. He has studied the winds of magic his entire life; knows how they dip, weave, churn; knows the danger - but also the sheer, intricate power. Oh, the power. He wanted more. And slowly, over time, he gave in, he embraced the Dark Arts in all their glory, spoke with daemons, made deals with evils of unspeakable power.

He called forth his general, his mightiest warriors, and told them of his plan: he wanted to journey to Naggaroth; wanted to swear fealty to Malekith. Much of his army saw him as a madman, a traitor. Those who opposed him, he killed. Those who were unwilling to follow him, with a mere word, he forced them to - though the magic took a tole on their bodys, and they were transformed into warped, horrific monstrosities. And so Morgil, under his new title "The Deathbringer", left Ulthuan.

Of his journey, not much is known outside the realm of rumour. Some say a Dark Sorcerer has risen to power, the prophesised one, he who will kill the Witch King himself. Others say the same Dark Lord has knelt at the feet of Malekith, who has grown ever stronger with such a powerful wizard on his side. Some even say Morgil Deathbringer was killed at the hands of Teclis, though they whisper it with shifty eyes, and a flickering tongue.

The Army

Lords
Morgil Deathbringer (High Sorcerer); Lvl 4 mage, Dark Pegasus, Darkstar Cloak, Seal of Ghrond, Dispel Scroll

Heroes
Blademaster Ithlas (Assassin); extra cc weapon, Hand of Khaine, Ring of Hotek

Blademaster Silas (Assassin); extra cc weapon, Hand of Khaine

I never leave home without my dual assassins. They are integral to the working of my army; can pair up in a single unit, like the Spearmen, or Executioners if I have them, as well as the Witches - or alterntively they can split up. The Ring of Hotek Assassin can optionally line up with the Shades, depending on what I see in my opponents army. Both have Hand of Khaine, offering some nice protection from chargers and surviving models' return attacks. I'm considering swapping the Ring for either the Web of Shadows for assassination missions, or Crystal of Midnight to compliment my magic phase.

Core

Warriors x18

Warriors x10; rxbs, shields

Warriors x10; rxbs, shields

Dark Riders x5, rxbs, musician

Dark Riders x5, rxbs, musician

Simple stuff, here. Riders can harrass, annoy, redirect, etc. Warriors form the central core of the army.

Special

The Mutated (Cold One Knights) x5

The Compelled (Witch Elves) x12; hag, Hand of Khaine

Shades x5

Witches go on the far flank, looking to slam into the side of the enemy and run through their line. The hag has Hand of Khaine for the optional "AHA!" combo of Assassin - Hag - Assassin, whilst still offering a bit of protection without the Assassins there. Riders will usually join them, to redirect unwanted attention and/or block the Witches line of sight as necessary, to prevent unwanted Frenzy-charges. The Knights are another opportunity for conversion... I'm thinking High Elf Dragon Princes mutated into centaur-style Cold Ones...

Rare

Slave Dragon (War Hydra)

Reaper Bolt Thrower

7 power dice, 5 dispel dice, 1 scroll.

Dark_Mage99
21-11-2007, 23:49
Edited for clarity.

Any thoughts on the list?

Oguleth
22-11-2007, 00:15
At first glance I kinda wonder how you deal with anything that can handle low strength attacks for example.. And I cant really comment on changes as they would touch upon the assassins no matter what, as they are so costly.

I also kind of wonder why there are so many Hands of Khaine around? What is so great you have 3 chars with it?

Spearmen without shields, but crossbows with them? I'd change that.. Especially as the spears are the only unit contributing with some static cr; unless of course you want to keep them cheap just because you are counting on them getting whacked.

To me it looks like "a bit of everything" kinda army, which I find elves do poorly..

But with background based choices, its something you have to live with I suppose :)

Dark_Mage99
22-11-2007, 11:39
At first glance I kinda wonder how you deal with anything that can handle low strength attacks for example.. And I cant really comment on changes as they would touch upon the assassins no matter what, as they are so costly.

High Toughness, and good armour saves do pose a potential problem. There are a few things I have to deal with them currently. Witches, whose 20-odd attacks and poison are usually enough to cut through Toughness and armour. In my last battle, they took a charge from some (slightly depleted) Dragon Princes, and broke them. The sheer mass of damage they do, coupled with Hand of Khaine (I'll go into this in my next point - thanks for asking about it), means that very often wounds creep through even the toughest armour. High Toughness usually has low armour, and of course poison is the perfect answer to that. Of course, relying on dice rolls perhaps isn't the best answer... but they do play a significant part. Then there's the Bolt Thrower, the Hydra and the Knights who can deal plenty of Strength 5 damage. I agree though, there is a bit of a lack of pure punching power in the list. Please feel free to suggest changes, even if it does involve my trusty Assassins :D

I also kind of wonder why there are so many Hands of Khaine around? What is so great you have 3 chars with it?

Hand of Khaine is one of the biggest reasons I put so much faith in my Assassins. One of my favourite methods of using them I've called the "AHA!" combo: Assassin - Hag - Assassin. They line up in the same unit, and each take away 1 enemy attack. I can't emphasise enough how huge this is. It can either be used on enemy characters (in the recent High Elf battle, a charging Noble with Star Lance was reduced to 0 attacks), or against ranks; and when the usual frontage of these ranks is 5 wide, that's very handy stuff. Especially when you consider that with Hiding and Initiative 10, the Assassin will usually be going first and will get the chance to eliminate any threat of return attacks. It offers a great deal of protection both to the unit champion, and to the Assassins. When they are deployed individually in other, different units, it still provides a reasonable amount of protection - usually enough to ensure survival in a round of combat where they would otherwise have been killed.

Spearmen without shields, but crossbows with them? I'd change that.. Especially as the spears are the only unit contributing with some static cr; unless of course you want to keep them cheap just because you are counting on them getting whacked.

I completely forgot to put shields on the spears! Thanks for pointing it out. I'll add them in there.. though it may be a case of shaving points somewhere. The reason for them being on the bowmen is that it turns them into a very handy dual-threat unit. In combat, they now have a 4+ armour save.

I'd really like to get a BSB with the Hydra Banner in there, on a Dark Steed. It either means removing one Assassin (which I really don't want to do), or removing the War Hydra (which, being an enslaved Dragon is going to be a centrepiece to the army). But the BSB will lend a lot more to the army. He can either line up with the spearmen to grant them 20+ attacks, a unit of Dark Riders to provide 20 Strength 4 very fast moving attacks, easilly capable of taking out infantry units. Or he can line up with the Knights, giving them tremendous hitting power - and answering the call for a very hard punch to the army. Since the banner adds +1 attack to both rider and mount, it's a very handy piece of kit.

Thanks for the reply.. I appreciate the feedback.

Dark_Mage99
23-11-2007, 22:44
Looking at the list, I'm contemplating taking out the Reaper Bolt Thrower and adding in another unit... either Executioners or another unit of rxb Warriors.

Any thoughts on what might be worth adding, in terms of punching power? Do you think it would be worth swapping out the Reaper?

chris yun
24-11-2007, 00:02
yeh u need more cold ones.......

i have a question wat is the standard of shielding..i bought the army book and it didnt say anything about it but people keep talking about it? can u tell me effects and point cost for it?

CHOOBER SNIPES
24-11-2007, 00:55
Dark mage in the instance of the charging HE noble, i think he still gets one attack. I dont hav my brothers book on me now, but i think it says to a minimum of one, otherwise any rank and file troops in base contact wouldnt even get attacks. Also, with DE assassins u hav to specify what unit theyre in before the battle on a paper right? if u do the assassin-hag-assassin thing, thats an awful lot of power and points in one 5 inch moving unit. Also, with T3 and without armor, and being such a huge threat, dont get caught watching your witch elves getting shot up, and then losing the assassins too.

Dark_Mage99
24-11-2007, 10:27
Dark mage in the instance of the charging HE noble, i think he still gets one attack. I dont hav my brothers book on me now, but i think it says to a minimum of one, otherwise any rank and file troops in base contact wouldnt even get attacks. Also, with DE assassins u hav to specify what unit theyre in before the battle on a paper right? if u do the assassin-hag-assassin thing, thats an awful lot of power and points in one 5 inch moving unit. Also, with T3 and without armor, and being such a huge threat, dont get caught watching your witch elves getting shot up, and then losing the assassins too.

Which book are you referring to?

Certainly rank and file troops can lose all their attacks - that's the whole point of it. It just takes away an attack... if they only have 1, then they are in trouble.

You write down what unit they're in, but the opponent doesn't know. It is indeed a lot of points in one area, and recently I've been testing deploying one elsewhere - but in the instances I've used them together before, they have both made it to combat and have both been outrageously destructive. The thing about Witch Elves is that having 4 left is just as deadly as having the entire unit.. and since they are Frenzied, they ignore panic. Opponents have to do a lot of shooting to render them useless.

vorac
25-11-2007, 02:57
i will certainly have to try that hand of khaine trick some time, i think it might be fun, i can also do the same thing with my blooddragons with Blademaster

Typpin
25-11-2007, 05:47
from my experience rxb's on dark riders are not worth the points, they never make their points back

Makarion
25-11-2007, 05:50
from my experience rxb's on dark riders are not worth the points, they never make their points back

That's funny, I consider them one of the best units the dark elves have. *With* crossbows, that is.

Dark_Mage99
27-11-2007, 00:38
i will certainly have to try that hand of khaine trick some time, i think it might be fun, i can also do the same thing with my blooddragons with Blademaster

Go for it :D I have the most success with it when there's two Assassins and a Hag working together, but it can still be useful with only one. When the vast majority of enemy units need 5's to hit the Assassins (who more often than not they will attack), and they take away 3 attacks, it offers good protection and hinders the enemy big time. I didn't realise Vampire Counts had the same thing... I imagine Blood Dragons will make nice use of it!

That's funny, I consider them one of the best units the dark elves have. *With* crossbows, that is.

Same here, although I do love my Witch Elves.. rolling so many dice is a great feeling :). Without bows, Dark Riders are still very useful - but with them they are more so, in my opinion. Whilst they might not kill massive amounts with their shots, just 1 kill can strip a rank bonus, which in turn can mean other friendly troops survive. Often, the idea of earning their points doesn't come down to how many points they get in kills...

Entreri Bloodletter
27-11-2007, 01:32
I kinda like the list, it has a very different feel than most DE armies. I can see how the AHA combo can work, but personally I wouldn't put that many points in one unit. But if it works for you go for it.

The thing I think your army needs the most is a Cauldron of Blood, you have many units that benefit from it and your witch elf unit will absolutely destroy anything with it. Normally I would suggest taking out the hydra but since you want to keep it, take out the reaper and possibly the scouts to come up with enough points. The cauldron will really help because practically everything in your list benefits from it.

Another suggestion I have is to get rid of the ring of hotek, it simply has too short a range to be useful IMO and enemy wizards can simply move away to neutralize it. Instead I would add a Manbane on one of your assasins to take care of any really nasty tough creatures. Manbane+cauldron = practically gauranteed wounds.