PDA

View Full Version : Making and army out of the army box...

The Song of Spears
20-11-2007, 15:10
High Elves - 2000 pts

Nobel mounted on dragon

Mage with level upgrade

16 archers
banner
musician
champion

16 spearmen
banner
musician
champion

10 Swordmasters of Hoeth
banner
musician
champion

8 Dragon Lords

1 White Lion Chariot

1 Bolt Thrower

So what do you think, a good solid core? It's not missing anything major is it? Think i could squeeze in another mage?

Thoras
20-11-2007, 15:59
I'm pretty new at this two, but a few points,

* Its hard to really know what you're putting together in the way of characters, can you be more specific on item choice, dragon choice etc.

* I presume you mean a prince mounted on a dragon because nobles don't have the option.

* How are you planning on ranking your troups? I'd say 16 archers is 6 too many (and don't bother with the command) and 16 spearmen is 4 too little. I'd go for 5-6 dragon princes, everyone i talk to says 10 is not worth it, and 8 seems an odd number.

brambleten
20-11-2007, 16:02
take the swordmasters up to 14 so you can fight in 2 ranks, and so that they actually make it to combat. drop the archers down to 10 and the spears up to 21 (3 ranks of 7).

The Song of Spears
20-11-2007, 16:18
Ok, well as for the prince on a dragon (sorry misquote there), i am going to be using the new dragon model fro HE.

As far as kit, well, i dunno i was undecided actually. Ideas?

Ok, so it seems more sword masters is needed, and more spearmen...

I can always drop some archers or dragon princes to make room for points...

Any things i am missing big time here? I see eagles commonly, are they so needed/useful?

Thoras
20-11-2007, 16:21
Any things i am missing big time here? I see eagles commonly, are they so needed/useful?

They're dirt cheap (50 points a piece) and i hear they're good for taking out warmachine crews or stopping units marching.

The Song of Spears
20-11-2007, 16:26
Thats kinda what i was thinking, but i hadn't used one yet and wasn't sure how often they actually succeeded in those tasks.

brambleten
20-11-2007, 16:38
take out the chariot to make room for one and another RBT, if you take out an archer, you have enough space

The Song of Spears
20-11-2007, 16:41
Oooh, thats a tough one. I love the chariot, an my actual thought was to make room for a second, is that such a bad idea?

brambleten
20-11-2007, 16:43
i tried fielding once WL chariot on its own against some woodies. the woodies got 1st turn and shot my lovely chariot with the hail of doom arrow. its best to field them in pairs, or not at all, i think

The Song of Spears
20-11-2007, 20:32
Well, as it sounds a few tweaks here and there, and i think i have got a decent list. Thanks all for the help and if you can think of any glaring holes in the list let me know, i hope to have the army done and painted in three days :D