PDA

View Full Version : Empire Outriders

successorlord
20-11-2007, 18:38
Empire Outriders are Fast Cavalry shooting a More-or-Fire weapon. The Fast Cavalry rule for moving and shooting says they may fire even when marching, but incur the -1 penalty, normally. Which rule wins out?

If Outriders are, in fact, a Move-or-Shoot unit what is the point of them?

Festus
20-11-2007, 19:05
Which rule wins out? None, both win.

The Outriders may march and fire - if they had any weapon capable of being fired on the move. But unfortunately, they only have a weapon which is move-or-fire, and thus cannot even shoot when moving normally, let alone when marching.

The uses: A flexible part of a gunline deployment for enfilade purposes, rapid redeployment, maximum firepower to be relocated 16" - what more do you want in a gunline army. Blast away!

Festus

W0lf
20-11-2007, 20:22
whats the point?

well last time i checked they could move 16" reform as many times as they want and they all had repeating rifles...

thats the point?

Fate
20-11-2007, 23:46
Actually from my point of view they are not worth jackshit, they are expensive, drop like flies to enemy shooting or combat and can't even move and shot and take a special slot with can be used for a much more useful cannon. IMO they don't worth jackshit... Even pistoliers are better (not that they are good though).

Master Jeridian
20-11-2007, 23:57
I always take a unit.

Either spend the first turn marching 16" into a flanking position where they can't be seen by enemy war machines, but can spend the rest of the game taking side shots at advancing enemy units.

Or, the lazy option, deploy a screen of Archers (preferably a Detachment) in front of the Outriders- which is then moved to allow them to shoot at advancing enemy units.

Aside from the fragility (which is countered above) they roughly put out the same firepower as a unit of Handgunners of equivalent pts cost, only BS 4 instead of 3, have an Armour save, can see 360 degrees, and can redeploy far away if and when necessary.

Plus, the models look good.