PDA

View Full Version : new talisman box

zippysguitar
20-11-2007, 23:02
does anyone have it and what does it include?
i have the previous addition with two expansions but never got the dragons tower expansion :/ from what ive heard the game is just a reissue using the older rules
is the dragons tower included or are there plans to release it?

Hellebore
21-11-2007, 01:50
I've never played the older ones, but if you go to www.blackindustries.com they have a lot of info about what they've done to revamp it.

The board is really nice and quite large (about 2 feet long), and you get quite a few plastic counters to keep track of health etc. You also get a lot of plastic gold coins which look cool.

Overall I think it is a really nice looking game and can't wait to have a go.

Hellebore

reds8n
21-11-2007, 08:10
The Dragon's tower isn't in the box, and isn't in the rules for this edition. The way the game is set up at the moment it wouldn't really work anyhow. The basic mechanics are pretty much the same as ever, but like a lot of recent GW releases it's riddled with errors and mistakes.

There's a review here (http://www.golden-throne.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9558). WARNING ! Contains a couple of naughty words there, so don't click if you don't like that sort of thang.

As it stands I'd have to say avoid the new box for the moment, as/when/if they update the rules and correct the errors then go for it.

Cherrystone
21-11-2007, 19:25
I have the new edition as well as 2nd and 3rd. The new box is basically a reprint of 2nd edition but with gorgeous artwork on the board and cards.

The problem i have with it is that the game dosnt seem to be play tested, none of the faults from earlier editions have been fixed and none of the improvements from 3rd edition have be implimented.
Also it is so full of errors and misprints, not only in the rulebook but also on the board spaces, character cards and edventure cards.

Overall very dissapointed. Hopefully a re-print will improve things.

ChaosMaster
27-11-2007, 15:28
At the following link you can see a full list of the contents and an interactive presentation that describes each component that comes in the box:
http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=TM&content=default

Trailer with interactive component at the end:
http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=TM&content=talisman-trailer

The War Store is selling the game for 25% off, $37.50 instead of $50 US.

Jedi152
27-11-2007, 15:40
$50 US? That's what? 25? **EDIT** At today's exchange rate that 24.21p.

One again a game that's designed, written and produced 5 miles from my house can be brought for 10 cheaper several thousand miles away.

ChaosMaster
27-11-2007, 20:48
$50 US? That's what? 25? **EDIT** At today's exchange rate that 24.21p.

One again a game that's designed, written and produced 5 miles from my house can be brought for 10 cheaper several thousand miles away.
I'll trade you the US vs. UK price on Talisman for the UK price turned directly to US dollars on an awful lot of other stuff from GW, like Wraithguard for example, which are $15 each in the US and for which you need at least 5 for a unit! ;)

Jedi152
28-11-2007, 07:29
Wraithguard US price = $15 (7.28)
Wraithguard UK price = 8 ($16.59)

Next? ;)

It's very confusing - as well as the dollar being low, don't you have purchase tax and things like that to add on?

rkunisch
28-11-2007, 08:36

Next? ;)

It's very confusing - as well as the dollar being low, don't you have purchase tax and things like that to add on?

You should consider the fact, that not only GW items are expensive in comparison. The relative price on the market is comparable. You would not complain that the Coke cans are cheaper in the US, won't you? :p

And I think tax is a matter on the individual state, so it differs.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Patriarch
28-11-2007, 11:53
You should consider the fact, that not only GW items are expensive in comparison. The relative price on the market is comparable. You would not complain that the Coke cans are cheaper in the US, won't you? :p

I would if coke was a British product/IP. Even if it is physically made in the country of sale, why do I subsidise the development costs for my American counterparts?

Back OT, I purchased most of Talisman 2nd ed last year on eBay. Rather surprised that there are so many typos/errors in the new one. Does anyone know if they will be reprinting or if any supplements are on the cards?

ChaosMaster
28-11-2007, 13:46

Next? ;)

Next indeed. You're paying in pounds not dollars and earning your money in pounds not dollars, so why would you care about the exchange rate, while in the US we're getting paid in dollars and paying twice as much for the same items. That was the point. In other words, it's better to get paid, say for example 30K per year and pay 7 for a Wraithguard than get paid $30K per year and pay $15 for a Wraithguard. :cries:

As for tax, most states in the US have obnoxiously high sales tax these days. In Maryland, it's going from 5% which is what it was at forever to 6% next year. :(

Anyway, for the original poster of this thread, hopefully they saw my post above because those Black Industries links will answer most if not every question someone might have about the new Talisman boxed game.

rkunisch
28-11-2007, 13:57
As for tax, most states in the US have obnoxiously high sales tax these days. In Maryland, it's going from 5% which is what it was at forever to 6% next year. :(
That would not impress us Europeans. ;) Most of the states over here have taxes around 20% (Germany has a VAT of 19% for example).

Have fun,

Rolf.

ChaosMaster
28-11-2007, 14:16
That would not impress us Europeans. ;) Most of the states over here have taxes around 20% (Germany has a VAT of 19% for example).
If I had guaranteed, decent health care like they have in Germany, the higher tax would be worth it. Instead, we pay for some things through "hidden" taxes like health insurance costs. We have lots of freedom in the US and it's a wonderful thing, but it also makes it a "tough town" in some ways, because we also have things like freedom to be refused health care and die due to inability to pay. :skull: I'd be having more fun if I could spend all my time on my models and not worrying about dung like that! ;)

rkunisch
28-11-2007, 14:33
If I had guaranteed, decent health care like they have in Germany, the higher tax would be worth it. Instead, we pay for some things through "hidden" taxes like health insurance costs. We have lots of freedom in the US and it's a wonderful thing, but it also makes it a "tough town" in some ways, because we also have things like freedom to be refused health care and die due to inability to pay. :skull: I'd be having more fun if I could spend all my time on my models and not worrying about dung like that! ;)
Okay, your point is valid of course - one need to see the whole picture. I think we should not drift further into a political discussion, just a last bit of information: we have to pay for health care and pensions on top of the taxes.

And to add a little bit to the actual topic: Yes, I have a copy of the new Talisman and while I like the style of the artwork, it has some problems as already lined out. Furthermore I am a little bit disappointed that there is no miniature range presented at the same time. It is not necessary to include it in the box (as it would only raise the price), but GW is a miniature company and the used characters would also probably enhance the existing ranges (kind of the Mordheim way to add to Fantasy). I hope, that this will be corrected soon. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

OrlyggJafnakol
28-11-2007, 14:39
I bought the new Talisman box just after released. Played it. Loved it. Girlfriend played it. She loved it. Took the game to parties and all her friends and their partners loved it. Apart from a few interpretation of the wording of the rules issues we haven't noticed any typos or mistakes. I have seen a couple of threads complaining of mistakes but haven't noticed them myself.

On what cards do they appear?

ChaosMaster
28-11-2007, 14:44
Furthermore I am a little bit disappointed that there is no miniature range presented at the same time. It is not necessary to include it in the box (as it would only raise the price), but GW is a miniature company and the used characters would also probably enhance the existing ranges (kind of the Mordheim way to add to Fantasy). I hope, that this will be corrected soon. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

I also thought it was odd that there are no miniatures, just cardboard stand-ups in the game. They actually covered this on the Black Industries (BI) website, saying that it's not their "thing" and that since GW makes great miniatures players should look to those if they want to upgrade. Of course, we have tons of miniatures around so it isn't a problem to upgrade with what we already have around, but it does seem odd that they missed an opportunity to include something in the box that would help sell the game.

I ordered a copy from The War Store last week so hopefully I'll be trying the game out soon. It's one of the few older GW games I didn't own in previous editions, so at least for once I'm not buying the same thing over again!

Cherrystone
28-11-2007, 21:59
I have seen a couple of threads complaining of mistakes but haven't noticed them myself.

On what cards do they appear?

The two biggies on the board are the desert space not saying to pick up an adventure card and the village blacksmith selling the axe at 2 Gp it should be 3 Gp.

The monk character character card should sate he only adds his starting Craft to his strength in combat.

The Dwarf card also has an error for his ability to open the portal of power.

There are many otheres but cant think of them right now.

Trickle
29-11-2007, 15:44
Furthermore I am a little bit disappointed that there is no miniature range presented at the same time.

I'm not after seeing some of the prices certain characters are fetching on ebay atm.

I'm sure I saw some of my old ones in my mothers attic last time I was over there and rummaging round. Going to see if I can strip that ye old air fix 80's enamel off them and strike that gold on the bay of easy peas.