PDA

View Full Version : How big are Space Marines?

atomictophat
21-11-2007, 02:12
I've been wondering about this for a while now, so how tall is a space marine and how much do they weigh, both with and without their armour.

Thanks.

Templar Ben
21-11-2007, 02:39
Well I was told that the SM at the bunker is supposed to be 1 to 1 so I would say just shy of 3 meters with the boots. A human with that build and height would be about 650 lbs (presuming the body could support the muscles). I don't know how much SM armor weighs.

BrotherAdso
21-11-2007, 03:13
Marines are between 6'9" and 7'6", and weigh 450/500(?) pounds sans armor, the better part of 800 pounds with armor, equipment, guns, etc. Their musculature and bone structure are far denser than a human of comprable size, too, so they are "denser" by height.

Kinda gives you a new insight into why Rhinos move so *******' slow, huh? Imagine hauling ten fully equipped Marines around with THOSE numbers...

-Adso

EDIT: Moment of self-doubt. I can't remember if the fluff I read said 350-400 lbs or 450-500 lbs unladen. Sorry.

downundercadet07
21-11-2007, 04:11
It has got to be well north of 500 pounds unladen, Offensive linemen in the NFL can get past 400, and they are no where near as tall or as dense as SM. Stuff like the fused ribcage, extreme musculature, ferric supplemented bones, and denser (and more effective) muscle tissue would add, in my opinion, about 150 pounds to the weight of a human of comparable height and external measurements.

Edit- just remembered that someone has a website all about this sort of thing. Sorry I'm so vague, but I remember his conclusions were that a SM in terminator armor came in at around 3000 pounds. A search might turn it up.

TheBigBadWolf
21-11-2007, 09:56
I say the would be well over 2m but not 3m and around 250-300kg without armour

Hideous Loon
21-11-2007, 10:14
Looking for this? http://www.philipsibbering.net/WH40KRP/WH40KRP_Concepts_%5BAdeptus_Astartes%5D.htm

Hostilius
21-11-2007, 10:49
They would probably look like Andre the Giant, Big Show or Undertaker but taller. Space Marines are typically 7-8 feet tall. Primarchs and Chapter Master stands nearly 9 feet tall (impression based on artwork).

Bregalad
21-11-2007, 13:47
That's a big as they can get ;)

Kage2020
21-11-2007, 14:43
Looking for this? http://www.philipsibbering.net/WH40KRP/WH40KRP_Concepts_%5BAdeptus_Astartes%5D.htm
Remembering, of course, that while evocative that Phil's concepts are just one approach or interpretation to Marine height/weight. There are a number of things in there that might make people raise their eyebrows. (For example, consider that if a Phil-verse Marine could live for an infinitely long period of time, they would have infinite mass and dimensions!)

What also happens when people get to modelling Marines is that people take the extremes of human physiology and then upwardly model from that. If the strongest human can benchpush 700 lbs (cannot remember the actual record off the top of my head and cannot be bothered to Google it) then, obviously, a Marine should be able to for four times that out of their armour. Thus, a 2,800 lb bench push, and to do that they're going to have to be suitably "heroically" proportioned and... It's essentially a whole scary form of conceptual biofeedback.'

Personally I try and remember that Marines are created from, usually, pre- or early-teens. They're not necessarily always the biggest and the strongest, but those that have the greatest potential (in whatever area you might see that to be). They then go through a period of physical training (that doesn't necessarily involve becoming an Olympic-class weightlifter), and are shaped by the technology of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

What that means to the individual, though? That's up to you.

Personally I don't go for the "heroic proportions" and "heroic weight." Nor do I take the extreme values of human physiology and scale up from there, or even claim that my own personal preferences are necessarily more rational than any others. A Marine, for me, weighs somewhere in the range of 450 lbs +/- 45-50 lbs. Too much variation is going to make those "standard construct" :rolleyes: power armour difficult to put on. (Yes, I know STC is not specifically linked to power armour...) In Kage-verse, Marines do not need to cobble together some bastardised form of power armour and terminator armour because they are so "big." Rather, the Adeptus Mechanicus refine the treatments so that the individual that might have a genetic tendency to be 7'9" actually comes in at the target height/weight.

Again, it's a preference gig.

Kage

Brother Siccarius
21-11-2007, 19:40
Then again there's always "Wolfblade" which introduces us to a marine who's had a slight mutation in the gene-seed. Basically the "normal" marine processes that increase an inductees mass and height haven't stopped or lack the genetic marker that signals when the process should stop.

Leading him to be taller and broader than even a normal marine and needing specialized power armor.

Calistarius
21-11-2007, 19:49
Remember, taller/bigger means better. I salute Humanity's Tallest!

/Zim

The_Patriot
21-11-2007, 22:43
In Horus Rising, Marines are described as being 2.5 meters tall with Primarchs being towering over them. I'd say Primarchs are 3 meters tall.

Pilgrim
22-11-2007, 09:10
In Horus Rising, Marines are described as being 2.5 meters tall with Primarchs being towering over them. I'd say Primarchs are 3 meters tall.

Which is evidence of 'size creep' in the background, as well as the tendency to represent increased power with increased size (often hilariously so in some anime).

Codex Imperialis (if I remember my sources correctly) described Space Marines as being approximately 7 feet tall. I recall not whether this was including the armour or not, my inclination would be not, since 7 feet sounds a decent ballpark figure to accomodate the extra internal space needed by the extra organs (those of them that are reasonably large), as well as the extra bulk from the enhanced skeleton and musculature.
An extra figure to tack on if we are talking about a Space Marine in armour seems reasonable to me at about 6 inches (not counting the extra height from the backpack units), which would put an armoured Space Marine standing about 7 feet 6 inches tall (or approximately 225cm). Out of armour, that'd be just over 2 metres.
That is a half-educated guess, but the figures sound like they're about right to my mind.

Adrian

Gen.Steiner
22-11-2007, 09:14
I always thought it was an average of 7' in armour and 8' in Terminator armour.

Findecano
22-11-2007, 11:50
making marines and primarchs extremely tall makes is just ridiculous. 6.5 to 7 feet for a marine, perhaps 7.5 to 8 for a primarch. making them taller would be ineffective. Imagine a boarding of a space ship by space marines (one of the core specialties of marines) where the marines find out that that ship was made for average human size, which, due to diminished nutrients in hives etc. is about 5 feet. so you've got a maximum height of the doors, cielings etc. on at most 6 feet. imagine all those marines hunching through corridors! besides, with all those growth hormones, all marines are probably a fixed size (at least in standard codex chapters), as to spare costs on armour etc. thus, a primarch which is only a little bit taller is going to make a big impression. plus, a primarch at 9 feet, and an emperor at bigger, so at least 9 feet, how is the emperor going to father all those sons he supposedly make via the sensei?

Pandir
23-11-2007, 07:07
There comes a point where you can be too tall, I think it would start to get combat ineffective to be past 7ish feet. Stuff today isn't made for people so tall I don't see why it would change much in the 40k universe I mean how often is Hive City Q going to have Marines strolling through that they would need 10 feet tall doors(if marines could be that tall).

Agrip. Varenus Denter
23-11-2007, 18:38
I just knew we had just had this topic... well, sort of the same topic. For your perusal - it's right here (http://warseer.com/forums/40k-background/111335-space-marine-height.html).

But in case you don't want to wade through the posts - Gav Thorpe himself stopped in and said:

Space Marines are, on average, about seven feet tall. As mentioned, Jes mislabelled his outline so that it starts at 1' rather than 0, and that's caused no end of problems since! Some Space Marines have been known to grow bigger (there's a legendary Wolf Guard Marine whose name escapes me at the moment, for example).

They are tall, but the remarkable thing, standing next to that full-size drawing, was how broad a Space Marine would be. It's that sheer mass that is imposing as much as their height. Having met a 6' 10" professional wrestler a couple of years ago, I can tell you that he was huge and intimidating enough, so the size of a Space Marine isn't that much of a stretch for me after that!

That's good enough for me!

mistformsquirrel
23-11-2007, 20:26
I just knew we had just had this topic... well, sort of the same topic. For your perusal - it's right here (http://warseer.com/forums/40k-background/111335-space-marine-height.html).

But in case you don't want to wade through the posts - Gav Thorpe himself stopped in and said:

That's good enough for me!

That's the way I like to look at them as well; and that being a quote from Gav its definitely more-than good enough for me.

(Then again, thats one thing that bugs me about the way some people interperate Marines and Primarchs "OMG THEY ARE BUILDING SIZE!" <x.x>)

Askari
23-11-2007, 20:49
plus, a primarch at 9 feet, and an emperor at bigger, so at least 9 feet, how is the emperor going to father all those sons he supposedly make via the sensei?

The Emperor is a human, not a Space Marine nor Primarch, he is nowhere near as tall as they.

I see Space Marines around the 7'0-7'6 range, and very, very built of course, adding a few inches due to armour also.
They would also weigh a few hundred kilos probably, I mean, I'm 65kg, and I'm stick thin, but tall I guess.

The Primarchs would, mostly, be around the same height, ones such as Magnus being an exception as he is seen to dwarf Terminators even.

Kage2020
23-11-2007, 21:17
I actually prefer the smaller, approximately 7', Marines. You don't need them to weigh a gazillion tonnes, then... ;)

Kage

ThorOdensson
24-11-2007, 12:28
Also you have to factor in that marines are meant to be agile as well, (not as agile as a Eldar but better than a normal human) so they also cant be too bulked up as that would affect their flexibility.

Antikaratekid
24-11-2007, 13:47
I always thought a normal spacemarine was twice as tall as a human only

Askari
24-11-2007, 14:38
Twice the height only?!

Space Marines are not 12 feet tall :p

Gen.Steiner
24-11-2007, 21:02
So I was right. Hurrah! Tactical Dreadnought Armour adds a foot. I suspect most Marines are a few inches above 7' in their powered armour really.

Kage2020
25-11-2007, 14:51
That makes sense, since the boots do have a thickness, as does the helmet. Reasonably this might add on another 3-5" when in power armour. Obviously the terminator armour would be larger again still.

Kage

Gen.Steiner
25-11-2007, 15:42
Looking at the models and the drawings, I reckon that there's at least an extra 12" above the top of the Terminator's head to the top of the armour. Not to mention the extra width, and the sheer bowel-loosening terror of the Angry Badger Suit.

Kage2020
25-11-2007, 20:45
That wouldn't be inappropriate. The terminator armour is already going to be much "taller," arguably, given the whole proportions thing. (Excluding Phil Siberring's perpetually growing Marines at this point.)

Kage

jhon
26-11-2007, 04:25
you know taller is not equal to stronger .. many tall dude death in early age from some minor wound .. i like that site and agree about most of the unofficial fuff in there , expect that , they should use a football player instead of a basket ball player to do the compare ...

Daemon_hunter
26-11-2007, 04:31
I was told they're 7ft naked and about 8ft in their power armour

azimaith
26-11-2007, 06:08
you know taller is not equal to stronger .. many tall dude death in early age from some minor wound .. i like that site and agree about most of the unofficial fuff in there , expect that , they should use a football player instead of a basket ball player to do the compare ...

Most of this is gibberish to me but its true that taller doesn't equal stronger. However marines aren't simply taller, they're all around bigger and designed to work that way (unlike those who have gigantism thats proportionate).

crooked
29-11-2007, 07:44
I dont want to change the topic, but i dont want to start a new thread for this either, just wondering what size difference is there between an ork boy and a spacemarine?

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 08:05
When an Ork stands up straight (rarely happens) and lifts his head from his shoulders, he's bigger and broader than a Marine. The largest of Warbosses and Warlords are larger than Terminators. Ghazkull Mag Uruk Thraka is about the size of a Dread IIRC?

crooked
29-11-2007, 08:33
thanks for claring that up for me.:)

(ponder/wonder/food for thought... wats with the str 3???)

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 08:35
Str 3 on Orks? They're S4 IIRC.

yaspro
29-11-2007, 08:46
In the books a tall normal human (should be about 6' tall) comes to a SM to the chest so the should be about 7'-8'. primarchs are about 8'. Remember that any SM includin Primarchs were human before so was the emperor before he turned himself into the hardest warrior ever lived, so he is taller then most SM even some primarchs.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 08:52
Being the hardest man alive doesn't mean you have to be tall. I'd put the Big E at a maximum of just over 8', along with the Primarchs.

That said, the world's tallest man ever (as far as we know) was Robert Wadlow, who reached 8' 11.9"! Here can be seen a 6' man and Wadlow's photo for comparison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Robert.pershing.wadlow.arp.jpg).

So if you think that the Big E is Wadlow size... :eek:

RexTalon
29-11-2007, 09:20
Space marines are 25 to 28mm in height, depending upon the casting, last I checked.

In the books a tall normal human (should be about 6' tall) comes to a SM to the chest so the should be about 7'-8'. primarchs are about 8'. Remember that any SM includin Primarchs were human before so was the emperor before he turned himself into the hardest warrior ever lived, so he is taller then most SM even some primarchs.

The Primarchs were never human before they were primarchs. They were created in a lab. They may have been infant sized at some time, but they were always meant to be larger.

Brother-Captain De Angele
29-11-2007, 09:22
Arnt space marines like 8 foot tall and like wrestler build or something

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 11:03
Arnt space marines like 8 foot tall and like wrestler build or something

Nah, they're only 8' in their Terminator armour. Naked, or at least out of any suits of armour, they're around 7', give or take a few inches.

It's probable that the Primarchs and the Big E are about 8' give or take whilst not wearing any armour.

crooked
29-11-2007, 19:23
yup, orks are str 3(getting furious charge)

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 19:50
S3. An Ork Boy, the weakest of all Orks, has, unmodified, the same strength as a superhuman gene-enhanced human wearing powered armour and with the benefit of serious training.

Ork 1, Human 0. :p

TheOverlord
29-11-2007, 21:47
Aren't normal ork boys only str 3, t 4? Only the Nob is str 4 :D So Marines still beat Orks by 1! (unless, of course, they get charged, then it's str 4, modified)

In the Horus Heresy book, The Primarchs are to Space Marines what Space Marines are to Mortals, so if an average human is 6', and a space marine 7'+, it would logically mean that primarchs are 8'++. Terminators are said to be roughly the same size as a Primach, giving them the average height of 8'++.

Felwether
29-11-2007, 22:30
To the best of my knowledge a Marine can be anywhere between 7' (Artemis, the =][= scale marine is 7.5') and 9' in height (Artemis, the =][= scale marine is 7.5'). I don't know how much they'd weigh without armour but fully laden they could quite easily weigh as much as a small car. Don't forget that Marines vary in size just like humans only as a rule they're much, much bigger than humans.

EDIT: Also, in the HH books Primarchs are described as being to Marines as Marines are to humans so if the average human (male) is around 5'10" then a Primarch could be 10'+.

Askari
29-11-2007, 23:59
EDIT: Also, in the HH books Primarchs are described as being to Marines as Marines are to humans so if the average human (male) is around 5'10" then a Primarch could be 10'+.

That doesn't make sense.

If a Primarch to Marine is like Marine to Human, then 7' > 5'10 by 1'2
So a Primarch would be 8'2 right? :p

ChaosMaster
30-11-2007, 03:48
How big are Space Marines?
To quote Monty Python, "that's a rather personal question, sir".

Gen.Steiner
30-11-2007, 12:05

Which is still bloody impressive, see the photo of Wadlow I posted a link to earlier. :p

Kage2020
30-11-2007, 13:55
Beyond Image, i.e. Rule of Cool, I've never really seen a reason that Primarchs are bigger than Space Marines. It just seems the tacit assumption is that because they are considered the originators of the Space Marines they are just 'bigger' than the watered-down Marine. And, of course, the Marine is bigger than the "mortal" because they're "hard."

Not to say that I disagree with a Marine being bigger than an un-augmented human...

Kage

Felwether
01-12-2007, 13:14
That doesn't make sense.

It does make sense I just phrased it wrong. If a Marine can vary in height from 7' to 9' in height than a Primarch could be 8' plus. :p

Besides, the largest Primarchs have been described in the past as being as tall as dreadnoughts.

Askari
02-12-2007, 12:23
It was a jest, don't worry.