PDA

View Full Version : Mechanised Traitor Guard

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 18:43
Right I have already mentioned some of my ideas in the StuG III model thread, but here I will put the rest of my ideas for my army for everyone else to have a look at and comment on.
I haven't decided on the world or regiment name yet, but they will be a mechanised regiment using Cadian models painted in a German-esque way inspired by the method used by Aalok in his Krieg thread http://warseer.com/forums/science-fiction-project-logs/62276-krieg-21st-panzer-division.html
They will be mounted in models based on the American M-113A2 Weapons Carrier, obviously converted to look 40kish. I will either use the rules for Chimeras with a single heavy bolter, or a VDR vehicle with armour 11/11/10 and a heavy bolter costing 90 points. I shall decide when I go home and can actually look up the cost of the Chimera and compare them.
Then for tank support I will use the StuG III model chosen from the other thread http://warseer.com/forums/40k-general-discussion/113802-stug-iii-models-anyone.html
Now for Veterans I will use a special unit called Death Brigade, or something like that using the models for Krieg Guardsmen in black who will infiltrate ahead of the army.

Now some questions, what does everyone think of my ideas, and how would you change it if you don't like bits. Also, is it worth giving Guard platoons in Chimeras heavy weapons, or just sticking to the grenade launcher I am going ot be using anyway.

And before anyone shouts "Nazi army!", I will just say its inspired by the German army of WW2, but not a copy. I just like their uniforms and the StuG III. Hence my inclusion of the American APC. Also Krieg models are just the coolest infantry models in 40k.

Frep
21-11-2007, 19:08
Sounds interesting to me. Stugs really were quite attractive vehicles weren't they?

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 19:11
Sounds interesting to me. Stugs really were quite attractive vehicles weren't they?

In a beastly cool way yes. They may not have grace, but no one can deny they look cool. One of the best tanks of the war too.

Frep
21-11-2007, 19:16
Yeah, there's just something special about Stugs and Hetzers isn't there. Personally I always found german vehicles to be the most attractive (and effective) tanks of the war, with the exception of the crusader (looks) and effectiveness (T-34)

kortholaxthedamned
21-11-2007, 19:24
Now for Veterans I will use a special unit called Death Brigade, or something like that using the models for Krieg Guardsmen in black who will infiltrate ahead of the army.

Death Brigade's are the elite squads of the Blood Pact, aren't they? I'm not sure but I recall them being featured in a WD once..

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 19:28
Death Brigade's are the elite squads of the Blood Pact, aren't they? I'm not sure but I recall them being featured in a WD once..

That is correct, that is why I said they will be called "something like" Death Brigade. Basically they are my equivalent of SS so need some kind of scary name, and thats as good as any. For now anyway. Once I come up with a different one I will change it, but its a stand in at the moment.

And Frep, I agree about German tanks being special. I can't remember what Crusaders look like, but I just love the look and the name also, of StuG IIIs. As for effectiveness, if you compare battlefield use with cheapness and ease of building then yes the T-34 is probably the best, with the StuG close up (They could make 4 StuGs for each King Tiger). However in terms if pure battlefield use StuGs are superior to T-34s. I remember on the site I got my info on the StuGs from that they used to take out about 100 Russian tanks for only a few of their own. Now thats impressive.

EVIL INC
21-11-2007, 19:37
Go for it. It sounds like a well themed army.
For the nazi look, just dont use any actual symbols and I am sure no one would hold anything against you. I hate everything that regime stood for, but you gotta admit, they WERE snappy dressers.

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 19:50
For the nazi look, just dont use any actual symbols and I am sure no one would hold anything against you. I hate everything that regime stood for, but you gotta admit, they WERE snappy dressers.

Yeah don't worry about that. I may come up with a symbol and perhaps use other bits of Nazi German background in the fluff (like mutants doing the work while everyone else is in the army, so also kind of Spartan there) Obviously I won't do anything too offensive, though I will probably include some Germanic pagan stuff in it, like an Odal rune or something like that as the symbol. Would everyone find that ok?

And yes they were very snappy dressers lol.:D

Visionary
21-11-2007, 19:57
My traitor guard were called 'Nazis' as soon as I showed them to my local store. i used cadians with militia heads from pig iron productions. They're a good converting source maybe give them a look to make your models unique.

Frep
21-11-2007, 20:01
I don't even understand how people would think that made your troops look like nazi's. To me they just make a good alternative to steel legion.

Visionary
21-11-2007, 20:14
I don't even understand how people would think that made your troops look like nazi's. To me they just make a good alternative to steel legion.

If you're talking about my minis, it's because it's a WW1/2 helmet (More two). Plus they're traitors and that...

Oh and i do German GCSE so that might've been thrown in as well as my history...

And my last name 'Sherman' also ryhmes with 'German'

EVIL INC
21-11-2007, 20:14
My traitor guard were called 'Nazis' as soon as I showed them to my local store. i used cadians with militia heads from pig iron productions. They're a good converting source maybe give them a look to make your models unique.
LOL, what did you do with all the extra heads? I could use a bunch of them as trophies in my chaos army and in making trophies for my chaos terreign and buildings if youd be will to give them away. Come to think of it, stacks of them could be modeled onto bases to make objective counters.

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 20:15

It seems some people look for things to get offended about.
I just had a look at those heads, and they are certainly a good deal. Will have to have a little thinky about them. Thanks for that.

Thats right Frep. Some people are just too pc.:eyebrows:

Quentin
21-11-2007, 21:42
This is quite an amazing coincidence. I am in fact about to collect a German Panzergrenadier-styled IG Mechanized army myself! Using Cadian's no less. Although my paint scheme is in fact completely different, old boy, so now worries about me copying you, wot? :)

I've always been very interested in assault guns like the Stug's and the Soviet SU series of World War II. Cheap man's tanks, they're often called, but they certainly made big impressions as infantry support and anti-tank vehicles.

Right now I'm debating about what exactly I'm going to use for Heavy support. Basically, I'm juggling idea's of using Thunderers, Medusas and/or Basilisks.

For a Thunderer, I'd base it on Kasrkin's awesome Stug conversion. For a Medusa I'd use the FW model, since it's already pretty similiar to the Soviet SU-14. For a Basilisk, I was considering using a Vanaheim gunshield to model it as something close to the Nashorn.

I'm so confused. :(
They can are all used as assault guns in the fluff, but which to choose...? One of each would look slightly silly. I'm thinking two of the same type and another type for variety.

What do others think?

BTW, are you basing your colour scheme on the Panzergrenadier divisions? I remember they had a highlight of pink lining thier black uniforms. Also, I shouldn't think you'd get calls of "Nazi" unless you painted a whole bunch of swastikas on thier shoulderpads and regimental banner etc.

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 21:50
This is quite an amazing coincidence. I am in fact about to collect a German Panzergrenadier-styled IG Mechanized army myself! Using Cadian's no less. Although my paint scheme is in fact completely different, old boy, so now worries about me copying you, wot? :)

I've always been very interested in assault guns like the Stug's and the Soviet SU series of World War II. Cheap man's tanks, they're often called, but they certainly made big impressions as infantry support and anti-tank vehicles.

Right now I'm debating about what exactly I'm going to use for Heavy support. Basically, I'm juggling idea's of using Thunderers, Medusas and/or Basilisks.

For a Thunderer, I'd base it on Kasrkin's awesome Stug conversion. For a Medusa I'd use the FW model, since it's already pretty similiar to the Soviet SU-14. For a Basilisk, I was considering using a Vanaheim gunshield to model it as something close to the Nashorn.

I'm so confused. :(
They can are all used as assault guns in the fluff, but which to choose...? One of each would look slightly silly. I'm thinking two of the same type and another type for variety.

What do others think?

BTW, are you basing your colour scheme on the Panzergrenadier divisions? I remember they had a highlight of pink lining thier black uniforms. Also, I shouldn't think you'd get calls of "Nazi" unless you painted a whole bunch of swastikas on thier shoulderpads and regimental banner etc.

Oh cool, what a coincidence.
As to which heavy support, I do not know what the Thunderer and the Medusa are armed with, but I would say I would include no more than one Basilisk in your situation, and with indirect fire as I ahve learnt from my Iron Warriors that one Basilisk is enough to scare people, and if you have other heavis then they poop themselves. What do the other two do exactly?
As for the uniforms, the normal troops are goign to be light grey with darker armour, and the "Death Brigade" with probably have black uniforms with silver detailing and probably black armour, though possibly silver for that too. As I said its more inspired by German military ideas, so will use tactics and stuss, but not necessarily look exactly like them.

Quentin
21-11-2007, 22:08
Ah I see. Well if you're interested, theThunderer (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/thun.htm) and Medusa Seige Gun (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/medusa.htm) are both FW Imperial Armour vehicles that are both quite similiar to the Stug (Thunderer) and SU-14 (Medusa) assault guns.

The Thunderer is basically a cheaper Demolisher tank with no options for weapon sponsons, and no traversing turret. It does, however, look better, IMO.

The Medusa is basically a more expensive Basilisk that can only fire directly, and has a range shorter than the Bassie, longer than the Demolisher, but has an increased AP value weapon.

If I were to use a Thunderer, I was going to create the Stug-like variant (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/kasrkin_rhodes/DSCF0281.jpg)made by Kasrkin. Lovely conversion

If I used a Basilisk, however, and I know this sounds preposterous, I wouldn't equip it w/ Indirect fire, since I'd be using it as an assault gun, and not an artillery piece. If I included any artillery, it'd be a Griffon.

An Indirect Basilisk does seem to be a potent threat, and your point is quite valid.

I've always preferred the look and rules of the IG's more unconventional vehicles.

I like your idea's concerning colour scheme too. It'd be boring if you copied the German's down to the last detail, after all. Also, I'm not sure how other's might react to the pink-lined uniforms. :D

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 22:19
Ah I see. Well if you're interested, theThunderer (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/thun.htm) and Medusa Seige Gun (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/medusa.htm) are both FW Imperial Armour vehicles that are both quite similiar to the Stug (Thunderer) and SU-14 (Medusa) assault guns.

The Thunderer is basically a cheaper Demolisher tank with no options for weapon sponsons, and no traversing turret. It does, however, look better, IMO.

The Medusa is basically a more expensive Basilisk that can only fire directly, and has a range shorter than the Bassie, longer than the Demolisher, but has an increased AP value weapon.

If I were to use a Thunderer, I was going to create the Stug-like variant (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/kasrkin_rhodes/DSCF0281.jpg)made by Kasrkin. Lovely conversion

If I used a Basilisk, however, and I know this sounds preposterous, I wouldn't equip it w/ Indirect fire, since I'd be using it as an assault gun, and not an artillery piece. If I included any artillery, it'd be a Griffon.

An Indirect Basilisk does seem to be a potent threat, and your point is quite valid.

I've always preferred the look and rules of the IG's more unconventional vehicles.

I like your idea's concerning colour scheme too. It'd be boring if you copied the German's down to the last detail, after all. Also, I'm not sure how other's might react to the pink-lined uniforms. :D

Ah I see. Well in mine I will be using 3 Stug equivalents, maybe in yours if you wanted to use two different ones, I would say use two Thunderers and a Medusa, especially if you wanted to be different.
As for my uniforms, yes copying everything is a bit dull and I would like my army to look a bit different from anyone else with the same sort of idea as me. Yes their Iron Warrior allies might mistake them for followers of the Emperor's Children and kill them if they had pink lining. lol

Quentin
21-11-2007, 22:24
Ah, so you're using Iron Warrior allies? Cool. I don't collect CSM's, but Iron Warriors definitely look the coolest, IMO.

So will they fight alongside ala Lost and the Damned, or only for Apoc games, with each restricted to thier own lists for normal battles?

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 22:36
Ah, so you're using Iron Warrior allies? Cool. I don't collect CSM's, but Iron Warriors definitely look the coolest, IMO.

So will they fight alongside ala Lost and the Damned, or only for Apoc games, with each restricted to thier own lists for normal battles?

Indeed I am, at least at first. I do agree about them looking the coolest (though I would say Night Lords have the best background, at least Zso Sahaal's Night Lords)
My thinking is that my guard and their planet breakaway from the Imperium and use the aid of the Iron Warriors to liberate their system. I ahvent decided exactly what will happen after that, but they may end up turning on each other, or they may stay united and conquer the galaxy lol.
They will be separate forces yes, though Apocalypse will give me a good chance to field not only my uber Warsmith (uses Abaddon rules) but show them as proper allies with some lovely fire support like my armies deserve.:evilgrin:

Quentin
21-11-2007, 22:54
Hmm... Good start to the background. I hope you have fun fleshing it out! I'm having a blast thinking up my own right now.

Also, I think I've decided to go for at least one Stug Thunderer and a Basilisk. Depending on how easy the Stug Thunderer conversion is, I might make another one. Otherwise, it'll be another Basilisk.

Apoc will be fun once I've actually managed to accumulate 3000 points. I think I'll get a full Emperor's Wrath Arty company to complement my Mech army. Nothing better than a massed artillery barrage. :)

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 22:59
Hmm... Good start to the background. I hope you have fun fleshing it out! I'm having a blast thinking up my own right now.

Also, I think I've decided to go for at least one Stug Thunderer and a Basilisk. Depending on how easy the Stug Thunderer conversion is, I might make another one. Otherwise, it'll be another Basilisk.

Apoc will be fun once I've actually managed to accumulate 3000 points. I think I'll get a full Emperor's Wrath Arty company to complement my Mech army. Nothing better than a massed artillery barrage. :)

Thanks, its at the very basics at the beginning, but should be adding to it over the next few months (my Imperial Guard stuff is at home, while I am at uni so I can't do much else for a while)

Ok then, sounds good. When you are done with the Stug conversion you should post it so we can have a look at it and the rest of your army, and I shall do the same.

Apocalypse will ALWAYS be fun! But yes, with massed artillery like that, you should have a blast!:D

scopedog91
21-11-2007, 23:00
Ya know, those Pig Iron heads are quite a good idea, look good, and are at a great price indeed...

Quentin
21-11-2007, 23:13
Ya know, those Pig Iron heads are quite a good idea, look good, and are at a great price indeed...

I was just looking at them myself. Very nice, and cheap too.

And Sideros, I shall indeed post the finished army on Warseer if it turns out well. I'm hoping to maybe improve on Kasrkin's model too. He didn't have access to a Baneblade Demolisher cannon at the time, and I'd like to incorporate it somehow.

As a fellow Stug fan, I'll look forward to when both of our armies are completed! :D

Have you thought about how you might model the Stug's to look more 40K-ish BTW?

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 23:24
I was just looking at them myself. Very nice, and cheap too.

And Sideros, I shall indeed post the finished army on Warseer if it turns out well. I'm hoping to maybe improve on Kasrkin's model too. He didn't have access to a Baneblade Demolisher cannon at the time, and I'd like to incorporate it somehow.

As a fellow Stug fan, I'll look forward to when both of our armies are completed! :D

Have you thought about how you might model the Stug's to look more 40K-ish BTW?

Excellent, I look forward to seeing your army up here.
Well I was going to keep the hull the same obviously, but no I haven't had many ideas so far. It's something I shall have to think on and fortunately I have plenty of time to do that. I am going to use the Tamiya(sp?) Stug III Ausf G model, so if you had any ideas they would be appreciated.:)

Quentin
21-11-2007, 23:32
Excellent, I look forward to seeing your army up here.
Well I was going to keep the hull the same obviously, but no I haven't had many ideas so far. It's something I shall have to think on and fortunately I have plenty of time to do that. I am going to use the Tamiya(sp?) Stug III Ausf G model, so if you had any ideas they would be appreciated.:)

Hmm... Haven't a clue beyond using a few plastic Aquila's to be honest. Ask around the projects forum, and I'm sure you might get some good idea's from folks. Good luck with it!

Sideros Peltarion
21-11-2007, 23:41
Hmm... Haven't a clue beyond using a few plastic Aquila's to be honest. Ask around the projects forum, and I'm sure you might get some good idea's from folks. Good luck with it!

Well I did think of that initially, but then I decided they would be traitor Guard, so wouldn't have them.:confused:

Quentin
21-11-2007, 23:46
Well I did think of that initially, but then I decided they would be traitor Guard, so wouldn't have them.:confused:

Och! Silly me. I'm getting confused. :confused:

What kind of weapons loadout are you thinking about for your Chimera's btw? I think I'm going to opt for a Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber combo myself, for maximum anti-infantry firepower.

That is, of course if you don't go the VDR route.

Stormhammers
22-11-2007, 00:51

my thoughts exactly...and did you know that Hugo Boss was the one that designed the uniforms...pretty interesting

Sideros Peltarion
22-11-2007, 09:40
Och! Silly me. I'm getting confused. :confused:

What kind of weapons loadout are you thinking about for your Chimera's btw? I think I'm going to opt for a Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber combo myself, for maximum anti-infantry firepower.

That is, of course if you don't go the VDR route.
Well my Chimera equivalents (remember I am basing them on the American APC M113 or something like that) Will have a heavy bolter and thats it as it keeps them cheaper and I am used to Rhinos so I don't mind not having lots of guns on them. Thats what my Stugs and Death Brigade are for!

my thoughts exactly...and did you know that Hugo Boss was the one that designed the uniforms...pretty interesting

Oh yes I had forgotten about that.:D