PDA

View Full Version : Re-tooling my 2k O&G armylist

Green Feevah!
21-11-2007, 23:22
All right, I'm thinking about making a few changes to my regular O&G list, to shake things up a bit and streamline the list. This is what I'm running right now:

Orc Warboss with Great Axe
Orc Big Boss with Great Axe
Orc Big Boss with Great Axe
Orc Shaman with level 2 upgrade
3 X 25 Orc Boyz with Choppa and Shield (Full command)
1 X 25 Orc boys with Double Choppa (Full command)
2 X 25 Night Goblins with Spears, Musician and 2 Fanatics
4 X 5 Goblin Wolf Riders with Spears and Musician
4 Orc Chariots

This is what I'm thinking about changing it to:

Black Orc Warboss on Boar with Heavy Armor and Shield
Black Orc Big Boss on Boar with Heavy Armor and Shield
Black Orc Big Boss on Boar with Heavy Armor and Shield
Orc Shaman with level 2 upgrade
3 X 23 Orc Boyz with Choppa and Shield (Full command)
1 X 24 Orc Boyz with Double Choppas (Musician, Standard)
1 X 25 Orc Boyz with Double Choppas (musician, Standard)
4 X 5 Goblin Wolf Riders with Spears and Musician
4 Orc Chariots

Basically I'm dropping the Night Goblin units, adding another unit of Double Choppa boyz, then upgrading my Orc fighters to Black Orcs on Boars, and dropping the champ in the Double Choppa mobs. My goals were to drop points in my Night Goblins units (which tend to under perform) and beef up my characters (which tend to die).

Speaking of which, I noticed that Orc Shaman can not take a chariot as a 'mount' in their unit entry. Can I attach him to a chariot from my Special slots, or is he stuck foot-slogging?

Lastly, is their anything that can/should be sacked to add some anti-magic? It seems to be my biggest weak spot.

Oguleth
22-11-2007, 00:02
Not sure going for maximum defense on the characters is the right way, mounting them on boars and having heavy armor alone should beef up the defense a fair bit, I'd stick with greatweapons on them.

The level 2 upgrade on the shaman seems a bit odd, not really sure what that accomplishes? Not like he will cast a lot of spells against most people [granted I have no idea how your gaming group is when it comes to magic], changing that upgrade to a scroll is a start for magic defense. Chopping a few orcs off in the infantry units (one from as many as it takes, dont have points values in my head) for a second scroll would be my other bet.

If you have magic items on them that you havent mentioned, that would of course change things. I have no idea about banners or items non-wizards can have that would help that department out, so yes well. Same goes for mount option for the shaman - I do not know how that is done in the orc book. IIRC it's not allowed to join a chariot if it isnt listed as a mount option in the book, if nothing else is said.

Looks like a generally good, fun list, I have to say :)

Green Feevah!
22-11-2007, 00:49
Since they are all Black Orcs, they all have 'armed to da teef', and count as having two choppas and a great weapon already. That said doesn't being mounted reduce the efficiency of a great weapon to +1 str? Meaning that it's no better than a choppa on the charge, and worse in subsequent rounds since it strikes last?

I did forget to put it in there that the new list does have a dispel scroll. That said, I'm still tossing around the idea of dropping the second double choppa mob for 2 night goblin units with hand weapons, shields, a musician and a single fanatic each.

As for the level 2 upgrade, it gives me an extra dice to throw at spells, and allows two spells off the list. I have had a few games where a WAAAGH spell has swung the game in my favor. It casts on 12+ so I pretty much need to be level 2 to have a decent chance of casting (Gork's warpath is more or less the same in that sense). Having 2 spells means I have a greater chance of getting either of those spells (and I have gotten WAAAGH in my last 2 games straight).

Does anyone think 2 units of 25 goblins would perform better than a single unit of double choppa boyz?

Oguleth
22-11-2007, 01:14
Ugh, shows me right for commenting on stuff I do not have indepth knowledge about. (Concerning the black orcs)

If you actually manage to cast stuff with a lone shaman, then by all means. I cant remember a single game that have happened to me, but that's based on your gaming group of course.

I'd go for the gobbos, more bodies and worth it just for the fanatic dread it brings.

Green Feevah!
22-11-2007, 07:26
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too.

And I pretty much only get spells off on irresistible force. But when it works, boy does it work!