PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Las Sentinals???

Inquisitor Strife
22-11-2007, 01:13
I have a ton of Multi-las Sentinals from collecting Catachian crap because no one else wanted it.Would turning these in to "Emperors Talon" be worth the points???? :confused: :confused:

dcikgyurt
22-11-2007, 01:23
Yes.

Minimum character count.

Herr Wolfgang
22-11-2007, 01:43
I think so. I've had great seccus with multi-las sentinals in many games I've played. The best was taking down a C'tan in one round with them {a Desever and a full squad of sentinals} :D.

LoneSniperSG
22-11-2007, 03:45
A Deserver? I think you mean the Deceiver.

I have yet to see the Sentinel datasheet, does it cover all variants?

FraustyTheSnowman
22-11-2007, 03:46
s6 is nothing to laugh at. Most of my multilasers are in the form of chimeras, but the point is it's a good weapon. Worse comes to worse, if you don't want them you could always trade them...hint hint...nudge nudge...wink wink...

catbarf
22-11-2007, 04:40
S6 isn't often going to be useful. It won't help against T3, and against T4 the difference is marginal. I think losing the AP4 is a big tradeoff for just a little more S...

Inquisitor Strife
22-11-2007, 15:59
Probly end up bits ordering a few las-cannons and auto cannons.It would be one hell of a supprise to drop behinde you foe with a bunch of sentinals.

Bunnahabhain
22-11-2007, 16:23
Multilasers are very useful, if you know you're going to be close enough the shorter range doesn't matter. Three shots means you end up hitting stuff reasonably relaibley.

For most games, Autocannons are definitey better.

Buy some magnets, and give yourself options.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
22-11-2007, 17:06
They really come into their own against GEQ armies and forces that field alot of armour 10 vehicles.

You can't go wrong taking multi-laser sentinels against orks.

catbarf
22-11-2007, 18:35
I don't see why Guard have multilasers at all- I say remove them and replace with Heavy Bolters.

leo_neil316
22-11-2007, 19:02
You know, I actually say the exact opposite?

Background wise the guard can't be supplied with ammunition like most forces, theirs just too many of them. Las guns are used because the powercells can be re-charged.

The multilas is to the lasgun what the heavy bolter is to the boltgun.

If I could take multilasers as hull and sponson mounts for all my guard tanks I'd do it (well bar the demolisher and the odd hull lascannon).

As for sentinals, yes their great. You can't ping av13 stuff to death like you can with an autocannon, but you do crowd control better and you can be an unholy terror (atleast as much as any single guard unit can be) to lower av stuff.

Oh yeah, and it's cheap.

Lord Cook
22-11-2007, 19:11
Multilasers are fantastic weapons. Against AV10, it's the best weapon in the IG armoury. It's also just as good as a missile or lascannon against 3+ saves, and maintains that quality when the target is in cover, while the others are suddenly nerfed by fact the target now gets cover saves.

It's cool, it's fluffy, and it's effective. And incredibly cheap!

catbarf
22-11-2007, 19:35
Well, I'm not going to argue against the fluff- but from a game perspective, it's only used on Chimeras and Sentinels, and isn't very different from a Heavy Bolter in stats or role.

TheOverlord
22-11-2007, 19:49
Remove options from IG?

HERESY!

IG deserves MORE guns, not less! Heavy Stubbers ftw!

Haha, actually autocannons are almost always better than the multilasers, but if you plan on getting that formation in Apoca, 30 str 6 shots a turn can really really terrorize them orks!

Inquisitor Strife
22-11-2007, 21:04
Magnents might be a good option. 30 multi-las shots consentrated could be just NASTY!!!! Most of my enemy will be necrons or marines.

starlight
22-11-2007, 21:19
Magnets for sure.:)

Trading off your excess....also a good idea. :D

;)

Inquisitor Strife
22-11-2007, 21:39
the hunter killers will be a must on them all...Plus I have 3 rocket pod sentinals from forge world. Just need a quick unit to jump on my foes. Wish a rough rider data sheet would come out. Rough Riders and Sentinals would be great for breaking lines.Then a quick filler with an APC droping ogryns off in the broken line.

Lord Cook
22-11-2007, 22:00
actually autocannons are almost always better than the multilasers

I wouldn't say so.

Autocannons are better against:
AV11+ Vehicles
4+ Saves

Multilasers are better against:
AV10
3+ Saves or better
6+ Saves

And they're both equally good against 5+ saves. But remember that multilasers are cheaper than autocannons, so why anyone would pay +5 points to upgrade their sentinel multilasers to autocannons, when the multilasers are probably going to be more useful in the MEQ world we live in, I don't know.

Calistarius
22-11-2007, 22:04
There's an idea, making an extra IG heavy weapon sprue with the multi-laser, heavy stubber, conversion beamer, mole mortar, and multi-melta.

darren redstar
22-11-2007, 22:12
yay multilas!!
but dont forget the heavy flamer!

Voleron
22-11-2007, 22:19
Indeed, My Multilaser Sentinel Duo Of Doom(tm) it the unholy bane of my brother's orks. Any time that he doesn't mass fire to kill them on turn 1, they end up chewing up his elite mobs, blowing trukks left, right and center, and tarpitting nob-less boyz mobs.

He hates them. I love 'em. :D

(Besides, I have more than enough autocannons in my Fire-support squads anyway.)

Lord Cook
23-11-2007, 07:13
Indeed, My Multilaser Sentinel Duo Of Doom(tm)

Out of curiosity, do you name everything in your army? Only I came across the 15-mortar 3-basilisk Artillery Carpet of Doom(tm) earlier.

Voleron
23-11-2007, 08:42
Well, I don't name everything off the bat at army creation time. The names sort of get attatched during games. You've seen the "of Doom" combos, but there's also the "PaperRuss" (which /always/ gets penetrated, somehow), and the "Command squad which is far too lucky in CC for it's own Good".

My brother's army has similar naming conventions. Except they're all in orkish.

As for actual squad names, numbers and such, though - I give every individual model a name, even the grunt troopers. The comedic names are usually how they get referred to, though.

azimaith
23-11-2007, 09:45
To be honest i've always found sentinels of any variant a bit overpriced for BS3.

Multilasers ain't bad, they're a bit underutilized in the guard list however.

I'd really like to see some new sentinel variants incorporating the drop sentinels (heavy bolter/multi-melta) the support sentinels(multiple rocket pods, missile launcher) and a new Twin-linked heavy stubber sentinel.

Inquisitor Strife
24-11-2007, 00:31
Would love to arm sentinals with twin linked heavy bolters or multi-meltas.

Lord Cook
24-11-2007, 02:45
I'd really like to see some new sentinel variants incorporating the drop sentinels (heavy bolter/multi-melta) the support sentinels(multiple rocket pods, missile launcher) and a new Twin-linked heavy stubber sentinel.

Me too. I really like the look of the FW support sentinels, but they are both overcosted. The rocket pods not by much, as they make a nice crowd control weapon (2 frag missile shots at short range), but the missile variant is disgusting. Have any of the FW rules developers actually played the game?

Vaktathi
24-11-2007, 02:53
Me too. I really like the look of the FW support sentinels, but they are both overcosted. The rocket pods not by much, as they make a nice crowd control weapon (2 frag missile shots at short range), but the missile variant is disgusting. Have any of the FW rules developers actually played the game?

I think part of the problem is they not only have to keep things in line with the "Every heavy weapon has to be 5-10pts more for IG than anyone else" like of thinking in the IG codex (for more on that see the fluffy but totally ineffective and overcosted DK Siege regiment list), and the fact that they have to make things overcosted so people stop whining about IA units (as dumb as that may be)

I also think the current codex-IG sentinels are particularly overcosted by about 15-20pts each depending on what type is being fielded, especially when compared with the abilities and effectiveness of other races "squadron" AV10 vehicles (Land Speeders, Pirhanas, war walkers, etc).

fwacho
24-11-2007, 06:26
Multi-las sentinal rock the house, baby! the mnore the merrrier

mistformsquirrel
24-11-2007, 06:38
... This thread makes me want to field an army with as many Sentinels as I could fit...

Which could be a bad thing all things considered >.< but I'm just crazy enough to do it! (If I had money)

Inquisitor Strife
24-11-2007, 12:45
A complete sentinal army would be a BLAST to run!!!!!!!!

Lord Cook
24-11-2007, 17:25
What do you think of the Emperor's Talon recon company for Apoc? You get the recon asset (re-roll difficult and dangerous terrain) which is nice but hardly overwhelming. But you also get a free strategic redeployment, so long as you maintain LOS to the command sentinel. That's pretty cool, being able to redeploy at least 50%+ of your army without having to use up a strategic asset.

kanluwen
24-11-2007, 17:46
The Emperor's Talon is pretty damned nice if you arm everything with HK missiles. First game I tried of Apocalypse my Recon company took out a pair of Titans, which made it completely worth the points cost and digging up 13 *******' HK missiles =D

Grazzy
24-11-2007, 19:55
I think that a load of multilaser sentinels in a talon formation could be good. You would be throwing, what, 30 S6 shots a turn downfield? That is serious firepower for a reasonably low cost.

Inquisitor Strife
25-11-2007, 21:55
WOW now that would be a big suprise for my sentinals to kill 2 titains.

Burnthem
25-11-2007, 22:30
Sentinels are great, ive got 3, one Armageddon pattern with multilaser and 2 Cadian patterns, one with M'Laser and one with Autocannon, am seriously tempted to max out on sentinels for my existing 2000pt IG army.

Snipafist
25-11-2007, 23:06
Sentinels are generally considered pretty weak and multilasers considered weak against armor and a bit unimpressive against most infantry. I'm surprised so few guard players who use drop troops don't drop sentinels as well. There's nothing more fun than dropping a cheap multilaser sentinel behind an enemy tank and lighting up its weak rear armor, effectively overcoming both of the sentinel's problems.

silence
25-11-2007, 23:28
Drop Sentinels are great! as is maxing them out in a drop troop list!! ALL should have multi las

Getz
25-11-2007, 23:37
S6 isn't often going to be useful. It won't help against T3, and against T4 the difference is marginal. I think losing the AP4 is a big tradeoff for just a little more S...

Against MEQ's the Multilaser's increase in S over a HB is very significant. Against AV 10 the greater rate of fire makes it superior to the Autocannon. So long as you remember what the weapon is for (hitting infantry of all types and light armour) the Mulitlaser is one of the best weapons in the game. Period.

I like AC's for their extra range and Strength, but I can't think of any instance where I'd rather have a Heavy Bolter over a Multilaser for the same points.

catbarf
25-11-2007, 23:46
Sentinels are generally considered pretty weak and multilasers considered weak against armor and a bit unimpressive against most infantry.

Take a look at the Statistics Compilation, Multilasers are better than any other infantry heavy weapon for killing light vehicles.

Snipafist
26-11-2007, 00:10
Take a look at the Statistics Compilation, Multilasers are better than any other infantry heavy weapon for killing light vehicles.

Oh, I'm well aware of that, being a bit of an obsessive statistician. However, most perceive S6 to be poor against armor, and a lot of the more worrying vehicles are AV13+, which is out of damage range for the multi-laser.

Cry of the Wind
26-11-2007, 00:58
I've always run my sentinels with lascannons before since my army needed the extra anti-tank. However if I was to get back and redo them I'd take 3 multilaser sentinels over my 2 upgradeded lascannon ones any day. The number of shots they put out on the move is nice and in an army with many other armoured targets AV10 isn't so bad.

Inquisitor Strife
29-11-2007, 17:14
Great to sneak in and hit armor from its back.