PDA

View Full Version : Personality traits and the armies we choose.

Finnigan2004
22-11-2007, 04:31
Personally, I think that one of the great things about collecting a warhammer army is that the massive amount of choice involved allows you to customize it. I have noticed over the years that people with certain types of personalities are attracted to certain armies. Yes, army selection is multi faceted: sometimes it is about the models, sometimes it is about winning, and sometimes it is about something totally different. I am interested in finding out though, how many people think that there are traits in their personality or interests in their life outside of gaming that make them pick the army that they do.

I thought about this recently while talking with my brother in law who is fascinated by gaming. He would like to start warhammer, and the first thing that he asked me to do was to give him a run down of how the various armies played. He was interested mostly in dwarfs because they are stalwart and will more or less do what you tell them to. Without trying to psychoanalze him too much, reliability is something that I think he likes in other aspects of his life. It got me to thinking that it is possible that elements of your personality go into army selection.

Personally, I have many different armies, but I most like to play with elite armies-- chaos, lizards, elves. I enjoy the powerful heroes and monsters that are available to these races (and lizardmen can have a t rex-- how can that not be cool? :cool:) . In terms of personality, I have always loved heroic fantasy fiction and have read a never ending stream of it for years. When I play, I am usually not too worried about wins and losses, but I love it when my armies' heroes do something particularly heroic.

My wife likes warhammer too, but she loves the Brettonians. She loves Renaissance fairs, and has read every book in that Avalon series. I think she has collected and painted about 74 Brettonian ladies (should probably be careful what I write because she does read threads here sometimes). Anyhow, being careful, I am pretty sure that the whole romanticism of knights and castles is what made her want an army of knights in the first place.

So, to come to my question in a roundabout way, I have noticed (not just in these cases) that certain personalities are attracted to certain armies. Are there any deep seated, psychological reasons that you chose the army that you did?

==Me==
22-11-2007, 04:54
I picked Skaven because I like a good laugh, and there's nothing quite as funny as rats exploding :D

snurl
22-11-2007, 04:59
Dwarves = Good Beer and lots of it.

Tomb Kings = a whole army of skeletons - Too cool.:D

nikkcookie
22-11-2007, 05:21
i play my empire because i am very stuperstitous with my games and i even have a sigmar pendant which has prevented those misfires and miscasts alot of times. (im not weird lol) i also love warrior priests and my favorite hero is luthor huss!!! although he is not the best statline hereo ive met. aswell as preaching and yelling while a righteous hammer beats a chaos lord senseless for choosing the wrong god....

redbaron998
22-11-2007, 05:26
My personality has changed since my first warhammer experinces (in 40k) I wanted small elite armies (played pure Grey Knights) now I am all about mobility (eldar) as for Fantasy I really like all the elfs (Honestly I also love dwarfs and Empire...and chaos...and VC...hell I like em all.

I was really leaning towards HE but their model range needs alot more updating before I would invest in it.

In the future I am particulary looking forward to VS (due to powerful Blood Dragons) Skaven (cause I have a pet rat and they are hilarious) and DE (I love DE) and Brets ( Knights are sweet to)

I guess I have the gotta collect them all mentality, I own every 40k Codex and over half the fantasy books and every army has at least something I love about them...so its really hard for me to settle down. I am a poor colledge student so I am in no rush at the time and still have about 1000 points of Eldar to finish before I get into Fantasy (cant wait) I reckon I will end up finding the right army (really hopeful for Skaven)

One of the most important things to me are models, they are what you will be spending the most time in the hobby doing (moddeling,painting, and playing with) so they have to look good, something I value Empire and Dwarfs highly for as both have almost completely updated lines and I think almost everything (except Hammerers) look great.

Alathir
22-11-2007, 05:38
I've actually thought about this quite a bit and found it, for me at least, to be an important thing. That is, that when I pick an army I need to be able to relate, if only at a superficial level, to their core themes and values.

For me, I play Bretonnia and High Elves, which are similiar in that they both value honour, skill and tradition (and they are both arrogant pricks...) I need to play a race that when my units or characters do something cool I can actually envision them heroically rising up against their foes and defeating them. To me, there is nothing cool about a skaven character just sitting at the back and avoiding any challenge. As a side note, I'm known amongst my gaming group for pretty much never refusing a challenge with my champions or characters... no matter how tactically unsound or overwhelming the odds are..

Anyway... I have a penchant for playing the 'good guys' and words that need to apply to my armies and characters is 'valiant, courageous' anything like that. I've tried to start evil armies... I've read alot of the army books (not surprising I found Blood Dragons as the most tempting...) and I tried to get through the Skaven book but I couldn't do it, nothing in that army book appeals to me at all. While reading the Bretonnia and High Elves books conjures up imagery of heroism - a trait Skaven are... somewhat lacking.

So yeah, I do believe that the armies you choose do represent little fragments, however small, of your own personality and psyche.

Bernardinatti
22-11-2007, 06:17
I'm a high elf man through and through. Lots of people have commented on my physical traits and likened them to an elf, so i guess i have a soft spot. But i mean who doesn't find an elf cool. They are vastly superior to humans in every single way so what's not to like?!

I just love the nobilty of the high elves and how everything about them is just 100 times better than what a mere mortal could be or do. I am also a fan of the heroic acts of their heroes and love nothing better than watching my elf prince strike down a black orc warboss. (although it doesn't happen very often)

I also play skaven...because tactically i can be a bit of a coward and have a healthy respect for an army which runs on the phrase "Those who run away..."

So that's kinda why i chose my two armies

mistformsquirrel
22-11-2007, 07:15
I suppose it does make a good bit of sense when you think about it...

I value malleability and creativity - Chaos is a fairly obvious choice for me then no? Especially when you consider there are so many flavors of Chaos to choose from! Better still, you can borrow other army lists and "corrupt" them.

I also like Empire quite a bit, because I think they're generic without being boring. I know "generic" may sound bad to most ears - but in this case its a wonderful trait. The Empire army list can represent almost any human faction you can dream up as long as you're willing to use a little clever "Counts As" and/or take a few Dogs of War. Again, malleability and creativity.

Of course I think at the end of the day I could exercise my creativity with just about any army out there - its just that these two lists are the most variable; and thus have the strongest appeal to me. They also have the most modular Fluff. Chaos forces could come from *any* part of the Warhammer world! And the Empire can represent humans from far away nations.

I guess the thing I most value is the ability to exercise creative freedom. I *NEED* to be able to make part of the world "mine" - else I will lose interest.

Its why for instance, in 40k I decided to make my own craftworld, instead of using an existant one; and created my own chapter of Blood Angel successors, and even went to enormous lengths to make sense of female Marines etc... Its all down to "This is how I want the world to be; and this is how I'll bend it"

In fantasy its exactly the same. The Warhammer world itself is a bit more restrictive than 40k - because there's not 1,000,000+ worlds to draw on. You can't justify things with "Well, can you honestly say nowhere in the entire galaxy this hasn't happened?" But you can still do a lot; especially with Chaos. So for me, I've taken my favorite personal character, transplanted her background story (and modified it a bit) and fit her into the Warhammer world as the leader of a Chaotic "Bolshevik" style revolution. And damned if I'm not having fun doing it!

I think something else also appeals to me about Chaos. They're almost always portrayed as the "bad guys" - when we know from fluff that Chaos isn't necessarily an evil force - its just wild and hard to exercise any control over. But thats what makes it neat - you can turn the whole thing on its head if you like. It's much harder to justify, for example, why a group of High Elves would suddenly abandon their kin and take up with someone half a world away... but with a Chaos force? Completely believable; and the motives are almost limitless.

Ok I'll shuddup, cause this is a pretty pointless ramble... but you get the idea. I like to be able to 'play' with my armies as much in the mental theatre as the tabletop - thus Chaos suits me to a T.

brambleten
22-11-2007, 07:43
when i played lizards, i think it was like comparing be to a saurus. low initiative, although i can get a joke occasionally, reasonable strength, reasonable toughness. now though, i only started HEs because i couldnt use my Lizards to great effect. i could use them well, but not to the standards of my club. hopefully i can do better with my HEs, who dont compare to me at all, unless you think they are actually quite tall, under the pointy hats

AdamAtCollege
22-11-2007, 07:48
I have fun and don't care about winning. I also have a very spontaneous lifestyle in real life and don't think too far in advance, and am very impulsive.

Orcs and Goblins all the way.

spikedog
22-11-2007, 09:53
Before I started to play Warhammer I used to hang around in cemeteries at night trying to raise an evil host of undead to aid me in my conquest of the world via dark magic. However it wasn't going so well so when I found out I could do it by rolling dice and taking over 4x6 squares of the world one at a time I jumped on the chance! Plus I don't get arrested nearly as much doing it this way.

Yea all my armies I play are the bad guys because I love dark stories, artwork, books, films etc. I just guess I got sick of seeing the good guys win all the time and I fancy trying to even the odds a little. Plus the bad guys get all the best stuff, The Walking Dead, Zombie Dragons, Deamons, Minotaurs etc.

EmperorNorton
22-11-2007, 10:12
While I don't have an explanation for all of my armies, I think my personality has had an influence on Dwarfs being my favourite to play.
Whenever I invest in something I like it to have lasting value (meaning for example that I'll think thrice about buying an expensive bottle of liquor, because it'll be gone sooner or later).
Hence I like Dwarfs, as they stick around because of their toughness and armour.

Curufew
22-11-2007, 10:40
I play Empire because before I started on this wargaming hobby, I so wanted to play historical wargaming but nobody in my country seems to play it. So I play 40K instead but I find it quite boring so I'm playing Fantasy now. Empire to me, is the closest thing you can get to a historical army with the cannons, pikes and handguns. Another reason is that I like to play as the human race.

gorenut
22-11-2007, 11:27
I play Empire because I like the underdogs and Empire seems to be just that. They don't have the strongest heroes or troops, but they overcompensate with versatility. I like that they are so resourceful. Also.. how can you NOT like the idea of a Captain on Pegasus armed with a pistol... thats not something you see much in Fantasy lore.

The other army I'm eagerly awaiting is Vampire Counts. I like the tragic stories of an all-powerful vampire who is desperately trying to assemble an army perhaps in memory of their mortal lives. The vampires I do not like are the Anne Rice-esque ones. I'm glad for the new image Vampire Counts have so far.

Stormtrooper
22-11-2007, 12:07
I'm a simple man, but I love intricate planning and decisive combat.............

...........so I play HoC Tzeentch, and Dwarves!

Scythe
22-11-2007, 12:55
Hmm, I study biomedical engineering. I always had a fascination for 'improving' humans and other species, and I love science fiction stories, deep space and human technological improvements always intriged me.

So, how does this represent itself in warhammer? I play Vampire Counts, Tyranids and Necrons (in that order)..:D

Altough later on I started Dark Elf and Imperial guard armies as well. I guess I shouldn't make my ambitions too obvious. :p

Ethlorien
22-11-2007, 14:01
I like to think I'm better then everyone else, so I was just naturally drawn towards High Elves.:)

I've always been drawn towards elves (play DE too). The whole Tolkien better-then-everyone-else-but-fading-away thing has always appealed to me.

Shakkara
22-11-2007, 15:24
I'm arrogant and superior to most other people, I like pretty gems, colorful clothes and beautiful architecture, so High Elves and Eldar were the obvious choices. :)

Abduction
22-11-2007, 15:26
I like to have thing under control, so I play armies with high leadership and expensive models (then the armies are smaller and easier to manage). I don't want to spend to much money either so armies that are expensive are good for me. I play Lizards and High Elves.

Bloodknight
22-11-2007, 16:14
OK, I've got sizable armies of Tomb Kings, Dwarfs and Dogs of War for WFB. Make a profile of that ^^.
As for 40K: Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and Plague Marines.

I have no idea why I chose them, really.

I love undead: TK
I like greedy bastards in fiction: Dwarfs (with honour) and DoW (without)
I like the idea of stemming the tide with spare resources and good faith: IG
DeathGuard: I don't know. Nurgle is my favourite god because he's less of a cliche than the others.
Dark Eldar: I like the look and gameplay of the army.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
22-11-2007, 17:13
I love dark elves, and while i love evil and cruelty, I'm not like that myself. quite the opposite.

as for the eliteness, that probably does reflet in me. I'm one step own from an OCD, everything is neat and organised :D Fielding a skaven or orc army would kill me! plus I just love the idea of a few guys being able to take down a whole swarm of guys because they are skilled and cool!

C-Coen
22-11-2007, 17:45
Cruel and smooth, good and evil, nature and unnatural all the way: ASRAI!!
I just love the balanced idea. And I quite like walking in the forest (altough that came partially after I started them). I attend archery lessons. I love the ambushes.

theunwantedbeing
22-11-2007, 17:49
Chaos...because I'm a cheapskate and needed a cheap way into warhammer.
Dark elves because well...Im just plain better than everyone else.

And I'm evil ^_^ <---see evil.

Gengar agrees (he sits on my pc monitor)

jakkie
22-11-2007, 17:58
people with certain types of personalities are attracted to certain armies.

i dont think that this is always true: i have a massive ork army in fantasy cuz theyre big and fighty, but i have a small necron army in 40k cuz theyre small and shooty. completely different.

bluebugs
22-11-2007, 17:59
When I first heard of this game, I immediatly went home and got on the website to research races. Only one held that special place in my heart. Lizardmen. It's not that my favorite color is blue, or the Aztec culture, but the idea of a warrior devoid of emotion. Reptiles I have always adored because instinct is what drives them, not pleasure or love. So I chose a race of them and upon reading the book I fell in love even more.

My other armies are Orcs & Goblins and Tzeentch mortals/daemons. I love creatures and daemons and the further a way from human I can get, the happier from them.

I should also mention I am somewhat of a misanthrope.

Defender of Ulthuan
23-11-2007, 00:10
1.Chaos- I am a Libertarion. Period.

2.High Elves/Wood Elves- I value quality over quantity, and the Elves are a tactition's wet dream. I plan to start Dark Elves as well after the revamp.

3.Dwarfs- I'm quite stubborn, and can be a real ass about it at times. Oath, honor, the hold (and holding), tough, stubborn past reason, immobile, and the value of principles is why dwarfs suit me best.

4.Night Goblins- Fanatics are the greatest thing on the planet. I love a laugh, and my Gobbos always seem to find a way to run in the wrong direction or have something else go terribly wrong, giving me a good chuckle during every match; and at my own expense!

There you have it. :)

dcikgyurt
23-11-2007, 00:30
I picked Skaven because I like a good laugh, and there's nothing quite as funny as rats exploding :D

I picked Skaven for the same reason, but as funny as it was at first, I soon got bored of never winning.

As for personality types and our armies. I generally play bad guys, but in real life I'm a nice guy whose always there for his mates, no matter what they want. I could just be the exception to the rule. However it seems to me that your theory only applies to certain people.

Good thread though. ;)

Cry of the Wind
23-11-2007, 00:34
I've gone through phases of army selection and can say that some of my choices have clearly been influenced by my personality. This makes sense as I think we are naturally attracted to those armies that mesh with our view of things. I liked the Lizardmen most for their models but I also related to the Slann and Scar Veterans when it came to my tabletop methods. I've always just been good a this kind of thing (tactical thinking games like Warhammer that is) and so connected with the Saurus who are just born to be good tacticians and warriors. I also know more about the games and their background than pretty much everyone in my area and I use that knowledge to beat them on the tabletop and to change the attitudes of those I game with, much like the Slann being masters of their art and using their power to influence their world.

My 40k armies are much like me too. I'm a conservative who has a dislike for those who think they know better than the law (in any form be it an elders knowledge, the rules of a classroom or just laws of a country) and so the Inquisition has a place in my heart as they hunt down people like that. I've always been pro-Imperial and even when I made a Chaos army I chose Thousand Sons because they are in a quest for knowledge and power just like I am (though granted my quest doesn't go much beyond being the Warhammer master in my area...). I'm sure a psychologist would have a field day comparing my choices in army selection to my personal feelings and inner thoughts...or something like that...I don't really know much about psychologists but it sounds like something they might be into... (though I'd like them to try and tell me why I also have Tomb Kings...I can't figure that one out...).

Finnigan2004
23-11-2007, 01:17
Actually your post is really interesting Cry Of The Wind. I do not play 40k much, but your armies are nearly the opposite of mine and for the opposite reasons. I am not very conservative at all, fairly liberal in fact (although the specific values you list are generally values I support too). Anyhow, I like the space wolves because I read about how they faced down the inquisition when they were going to kill some innocent imperial gaurd that might be chaos corrupted and they turned away inquisition ships with battle barges.

On the other hand, we both like lizard men. Hm... maybe we will need to split that psychologist's bill....

Cry of the Wind
23-11-2007, 02:25
Actually your post is really interesting Cry Of The Wind. I do not play 40k much, but your armies are nearly the opposite of mine and for the opposite reasons. I am not very conservative at all, fairly liberal in fact (although the specific values you list are generally values I support too). Anyhow, I like the space wolves because I read about how they faced down the inquisition when they were going to kill some innocent imperial gaurd that might be chaos corrupted and they turned away inquisition ships with battle barges.

On the other hand, we both like lizard men. Hm... maybe we will need to split that psychologist's bill....

Haha, yeah it would make an interesting paper for one who is in school to become a psychologist or something similar. Just by reading your post you seem to be more of a glass half full kind of guy while I'm more pragmatic...if even one of those IG was possessed it could cost us another huge war...better be safe than sorry :p.

Amazing how little choice we really have in our actions based on our character, even something as mundane as picking a race in a hobby has the potential to unlock who we are. Of course now I'm getting way to deep for a guy who never went to university and works in an industry that spends most of its time in the field doing real work and not theoretical mumbo jumbo... Glad to have added something of note to your thread.

Finnigan2004
23-11-2007, 02:43
Meh, university is overrated when it comes to life-- I'm pretty sure that most of the thinking goes on in our heads and not in a classroom. I never would have gone myself, except that my dad told me that I was going and couldn't go and work construction with him. It was going to school, or.... :eyebrows:. Actually, not really sure or what because the conversation (argument?) never actually got that far. You are right though, it is surprising how much influence personality has.

Master Jeridian
23-11-2007, 03:22
It's nice to think that an Army reflects the personality of it's Gamer, but I think this is a little simplistic. It's much the same as the belief that a pet (usually a dog) often resembles it's owner (be it an insult or not)...i.e. if you look for vague similarities you will find them.

Personally, I own:

Marines- because let's face it who didn't start with them in 40k. Unlike the majority that got bored and moved on, I stick with them and find them my favourite army in the fluff.

Imperial Guard- It's easy to relate to humans, though a little annoying that in every sci-fi/fantasy setting humans are always weaker physically and/or mentally than any alien race. It's an amazing reflection of insecurity in the human race, that is normally so arrogant in pronouncing itself centre of the universe elsewhere (in religion, etc).

I also am a bit of a military history fanatic, and this is the closest to a historical army as 40k can get. Much like a previous poster in this thread, I'm interested in historical wargaming but find fantasy wargaming to have a much larger fanbase.

Tyranids- After collecting a middle ground (Marines) and a Shooty (IG) army, I wanted the final 40k extreme (Assaulty). Plus the Nids seem like a disturbingly plausible alien race- that really is alien (rather than a reflection or exagerration of human traits like Orks, Necrons, Eldar, etc).

Sisters of Battle- No idea why I chose this, I really liked Rhino-borne forces but unfortunatley the current 40k rules screws such armies over. Oh, well, they are painted to as high a standard as I can achieve and look good on display IMO.

Empire- Much the same reasons as the Guard. Historical and human. Maybe there is some truth to the Personality-Army theory as a good number of people predicted what my first Fantasy army would be.
A close second guess was Dwarves- because I'm grumpy, pessimistic and short.

Vishok
23-11-2007, 04:18
Dwarfs. On account o' they big hammarz.

Melikes, big hammarz. T'ain't nary a problem ye olde big hammar can't 'elp wit'.

Fixerup good, 'twill.

Luisjoey
23-11-2007, 04:51
I play empire because i like the power of an empire!

Im a politician in my country and like imperial systems, love humanity cause against such monsters as you can find in the world.

and.. FOR THE EMPEROR!!!!!

Greymarch
23-11-2007, 06:23
All my plans fail due to incompetant underlings, so I can really relate to the skaven...

mav1971
23-11-2007, 18:50
I chose chaos because I like the variety and I'm EVIL!!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Freak Ona Leash
23-11-2007, 19:00
Well, I'm starting up Wood Elves. They aren't "goody two-shoes" arrogant bastards that the High Elves are, and they aren't the epitome of fail that the Dark Elves are. They are honorable, noble, passionate. But they can also be savage and capricious and have great disdain for everyone who is not kin to them. And they are based off of Celtic mythology, which means they are made of win and glory.

ZeroTwentythree
23-11-2007, 19:03
Before I started to play Warhammer I used to hang around in cemeteries at night trying to raise an evil host of undead to aid me in my conquest of the world via dark magic...

All my plans fail due to incompetant underlings, so I can really relate to the skaven...

LOL to both of these.

I'm waiting for someone to chime in with, "well, I like wearing dresses and cone-head hats, so HE were a natural choice..."

For me, it's not a game unless I am rolling a ton of dice and moving piles of figures, so it's always been horde armies: Skaven, Gobbos (no orcs) and Empire. I've dabbled in dwarves and WE but they never quite fit.

Freak Ona Leash
23-11-2007, 19:05
LOL to both of these.

I'm waiting for someone to chime in with, "well, I like wearing dresses and wearing cone-head hats, so HE were a natural choice..."

For me, it's not a game unless I am rolling a ton of dice and moving piles of figures, so it's always been horde armies: Skaven, Gobbos (no orcs) and Empire. I've dabbled in dwarves and WE but they never quite fit.
Well...I live in a haunted forest, my ears are pointy, I have swirly pseudo-Celtic tattoos all over and semi-evil forest-spirit things that poke people's eyes out live in my hair. So i play wood Elves, they make me feel at home.

vice
24-11-2007, 01:22
My armies are basically from the starter boxes.

Marines because... well, everyone has marines.

Nids because huge monsters are so cool.

Steel Legion because huge tanks are so cool.

Then Dwarves because my friend took the gobbos...And I'm short. :D

*edit* woot, chaplaincy!

Khornies & milk
24-11-2007, 07:10
Dwarfs - both defensive and offensive. So
I like their Honour, insofar as their word is their bond. I believe that a handshake is something that still means something.
Their sense of Duty and Comradeship, insofar that Family & Friends matter.
The defensive side of things reflects that they will fight to defend what is important to them.
The offensive side of things reflects that if you mess with them and theirs then expect to get what 's coming.
Sounds exactly like me, and the ideals I hold dear.

Madfool2
24-11-2007, 08:44
I do not currently have a fantasy army but I like an elite ordered nature that requires a mixture of speed and staying power.

Sounds like those arrogant High elves to me, unless chaos comes here too.

forgottenlor
24-11-2007, 10:15
I play undead and monsters. I don't play anything remotely human (maybe ogres). Hmm. Not sure what this says about me. By roleplaying I always play something pretty quirky too. Sometimes I think we like to play a side of us that doesn't have a place in our daily lives.

Dr Death
24-11-2007, 11:11
I think there's some truth in the theory that people who have collected a single army predominantly for a large amount of time reflect their choice. It's almost inevitable, since it means they can keep finding aspects of interest in it to fuel their devotion. However this kind of psychoanalysis doesnt apply to everything you say (reading this thread i was reminded somewhat of those internet 'Which ... are you?' questionaires).

People play the armies they play for different reasons: some, as this thread emphasises, do so because of empathy for their chosen army. Others however do exactly the opposite - they like the imaginative challange of finding interest in an army that they have no particular similarities with. Saying that all High Elf players are highly talented people with superiority complexes would be a bit of a stretch and equally you dont have to have sinister subconcious tendencies to play an 'evil' faction.

However everyone has reasons for the armies they pick though these rarely go beyond 'the models are cool' (which is pretty much the reason i started an Eldar army). For myself, my warhammer army 'soulmate' i found to be The Empire, predominantly because of their role-flexibility: They can be attackers, defenders; selfless, selfish; zealous or secular; corrupt or noble, any combination of narrative devices depending on the situation. However where they may fundamentally reflect me is that they're, as a whole, a 'good' army, one with honourable intentions albeit with some rouge elements in it from time to time.

Armies with only one 'role' in the game such as say Beasts of Chaos (who are always the aggressors) i can appreciate (indeed many times i've attempted to collect them) but i can never quite love in the same way as more 'mobile' armies. A number of times i've mused on High Elves or Dark Elves based on the same reasons i appreciate the empire but the whole 'we're better than anyone else all of the time' strikes me not only as unappealing but also as untrue.

So there are of course personal reasons for collecting armies but they're not always linked to personality directly.

Dr Death

Cry of the Wind
24-11-2007, 18:59
So there are of course personal reasons for collecting armies but they're not always linked to personality directly.

Very true, but is still in interesting topic for those armies that are picked because of personality (intended or not). I can't see any connection between me and my Tomb Kings or my Tau unless I try to sculpt the background around myself, while I can't help but be drawn to the Imperium for the reasons I posted before (at least those reasons that I could reflect on knowingly).

CathayanNoble
24-11-2007, 19:48
1. Dogs of War - Fighting for money, now that's the way to go! I like DoW because they are versitile and you can create many different themed armies from them. I have Pirate and Cathayan variations.

2. Dark Elves - Malicious, cruel and utterly evil... yet they still maintain the image of aristocracy and nobility.

3. Vampire Counts - A friend of mine once told me "that doesn't surprise me!" LOL! Zombies are also fun to make and convert (don't ask me why, they just are!)

4. Empire - This is perhaps my largest army. I think the main appeal was the fact that they had many different troop types and the fact that it's possible to do themed armies with them as well. I generally have the most fun when I'm converting Empire troops.

heretics bane
24-11-2007, 19:54
Dwarfs - both defensive and offensive. So
I like their Honour, insofar as their word is their bond. I believe that a handshake is something that still means something.
Their sense of Duty and Comradeship, insofar that Family & Friends matter.
The defensive side of things reflects that they will fight to defend what is important to them.
The offensive side of things reflects that if you mess with them and theirs then expect to get what 's coming.
Sounds exactly like me, and the ideals I hold dear.

Same here! I think that dwarfs should be and example to the world!They hold everything dear and still kick everyones butt even though there like 4ft 7

dcikgyurt
24-11-2007, 23:27
If I was to base an army on myself then it would have to be dwarves. All about protection and honour and courage. So why do I play Chaos and Skaven? Why am I looking to sell my Skaven for a Beast army? Who knows why we choose armies, I base all my armies off stuff from novels/television.

Grand Warlord
25-11-2007, 02:16
At first I built an empire army because I really like building things and their engineers looked really cool ... this was before I even discovered dwarfs ... but I stuck with Empire even though i don t use engineers anymore ...

Xzazzarai
25-11-2007, 19:53
Conserning the dwarves...

Yes, they are stubborn, they value pride. To a given word, they hold true. No question about that.
But, many of ya tend to forget that Dwarves are stubborn, in ALL kind of ways. They have a hard time to adept to the situation, and tries to adept the situation to them. Fine, great... as long as it works. But when it doesn't, they are in deeeep ****. May it concern war, social things, politics or what ever.

How ever, I can see why some of ya really like what the dwarves stand for, cuz I do to! Many of these things are rarelly seen in the society we live in today, and should there for be valued very high, when seen around! =)

Dunno if I got my english correct, but I think i made my point clear. =)

Murdoch
25-11-2007, 20:57
Playing dwarves and ogres means that categorically I am a gluttenous horder!!!

Had a brief flirtation with the fey folk of athel loren but when they couldn't take a charge I gave up on them...

Next up VC. Bring on the blood sucking mayhem...

So summing up...

I guess I like drinking LOL!

mattieice
26-11-2007, 02:47
I started out with skaven because i read redwall and loved that series (i love cluny the scourge!). i moved on to wood elves recently partly because i'm interested in environmental conservation (its my major), though i was interested in them before because of lord of the rings i think. In 40k i picked tyranids because i liked the zerg in starcraft, then decided to play dark angels because i love everything about space marines and dark green is my favorite color. i think my choice of skaven and tyranids reflects my love of swarm armies and waves of expendable troops. wood elves and space marines reflects my need to have a completely different type of army of personal, elite good guys.

Cry of the Wind
26-11-2007, 03:18
I started out with skaven because i read redwall and loved that series (i love cluny the scourge!).

Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long time! Come to think of it that series had a major infulence in my starting skaven many years ago. I even had Mattemeo (sp?) as a one of my champions!

Gdolkin
26-11-2007, 16:25
Funnily enough, I'm recently drawn to the wood elves.. I had my scruffy blond dreadlocks with beads in and various Celtic knots/ivy vines and roots tattoos, and was spinning staffs around (and getting half-naked), before they were re-done a couple of years ago, but lately i must be feeling either insecure or arrogant (or an odd mix of both) as i fancy painting a few little hardcore mannequins of me.. I'm nature-loving, reclusively misanthropic, prone to mood swings, and tall, slender and arrogant too.. Plus i could give them the face-tattoos that I can't really get away with myself.. hmm.

Frep
26-11-2007, 16:31
I'm short, like beer and am generally grouchy. Therefore dwarfs were a perfect fit

Eltharan
26-11-2007, 17:15
I've actually thought about this a good bit myself as well. I chose High Elves as I, like others have mentioned, prefer the elite, skilled, dedicated few to the disorganized masses. I also really like the tactical flexibility that the elves allow for.

The new book seems to make viable a far more diverse troop selection, which will allow for a larger array of army compositions. I, too, have some very OCD tendencies, and as such I guess the clean appearance of the Elves appealed to me the first time I saw them. I actually first found out about GW some 10 years or so ago, and immediately HE jumped out at me. To this day, any other army would come in a far second. My next choices may be Wood Elves, Bretonnia, or Lizardmen... Something about a line of Chaos Knights really appeals to me too though... haha.

Mercules
26-11-2007, 17:23
I am building an Ogre Kingdoms army and have a Tau army.

Tau - The greater good appeals to me. Strong "lead by example" commanders. Yet the Tau have their dark side where they almost wiped themselves out at one point.

Ogre Kingdoms - Noble in their own twisted way. Tyrant leads by being the toughest, strongest, and most capable.

I am also drawn to odd builds. I like to take armies no one would expect to be a certain way, and make them that way. I put together a Beasts of Chaos Tzeentch army that I want to try as a proxy and see how it preforms.

This is my personality. I am noble, but have my own code of honor that others don't always understand. I hate hypocrites and those who feel they can tell people what to do without applying that to themselves. I believe in self sacrifice for those I care about as well as fighting for what I want. I also like ironic and/or clever things. Thus... the armies I am attracted to.

Ethlorien
26-11-2007, 18:17
As far as my HoC are concerned . . . Well, I'm not terrible strong or tough, a bit of a coward, no love of fighting or the potential for personaly injury . . . so I guess I pour all my hidden desires and fantasies of brutal conquest and being a great warrior into my Horde. I may be a wimpy nerd in the real world, but on the battlefield I can pretend I'm a god of war! It's like Bizarro-Ethlorien!

Phoenix Blaze
27-11-2007, 15:31
I have a few key personality traits to me, but they are totally at odds with each other and it's blatantly reflected in my army choice.

My first army was Skaven. Man sized rats with some seriously cool techno-magic. I was sold, and this was from before the current edition with the amazing Ratling gun was released.

Next army beastmen. Brutish, rough, norse-themed (well mine were) beer swilling horned goat men. I love the Beasts of Chaos army, the book, everything it has to offer. Even the plastic gor models are some of my favourites and I've converted a few to be very characterful that are some of my favourites from my collection. Add into that some chaos warriors, steel clad power-houses of death and I'm just so there. Bad guys rock, pure and simple.

I started collecting a small Ogre Kingdoms force. Similar reasons to beastmen. Brutish, rough, but mine were eastern themed.

So yeah, that's the rougher, more the "classic heavy-metal fan" side of me.

Now I collect wood elves. Odd ain't it?

Well for me the woodie thing came about after reading the Silmarillion. After that, Elves rocked, damn hard. I thought about playing LotR, but I don't like the game, to basic. So then I turned to good old WFB. Dark Elves, too evil. High Elves, too pansy, too much like Tolkien's Vanyar. I wanted something to really represent the Noldor race and while WE don't really do that, I prefer them out of all the elven kindreds. And Eternal Guard models are some of the best GW have ever made.

And finally for 40K. I went chaos marines after the current daemon prince was release. But just before that my first army was going to be a pre-heresy dark angels army. This was long LONG before GW started focusing on the heresy and long before any sort of band-wagon was even made. This was like......6 maybe 7 years ago! So I play Emperor's Children, and they've always been my favourite legion, and by a long way. My other army is a pre-heresy EC army after forge world released those resin MK IV torsos.

So yeah, I have 2 main areas of personality:

Brustish, loud rough elite bad guys

and overly noble, elite good guys.

Gorbad Ironclaw
27-11-2007, 15:39
So what does having started with High Elves, then gone through Chaos(Tzeentch), Chaos(Khorne), Skavens, Dark Elves, VC and Ogres say about me? :p

And having started with Eldars in 40k, then had Chaos Marines, a small Nids and Guard force, then Dark Angels and now Orks.

The Judge
27-11-2007, 15:41
I play Dark Elves, because acting "in character" is a good cover for being an arrogant, overconfident fool... while being classy at the same time.

Tzeentch Loyalist
27-11-2007, 16:06
well... my first army was orcs and goblins back in 5th edition. When sixth edition came out i switched to dark elves. I ended up selling my orcs and still regret it to this day. Now, in 7th edition i still have my dark elves (almost completely painted and awaiting the revised rulebook), Sigmarite empire (lots of milita, warrior priests, flaggelents and knights), Tzeentch mortal chaos, Beasts of chaos, Dwarves, and I'm reasembling my orc empire (personally i love goblins, because when you lose with goblins they're just goblins and it's expected. But when you win with goblins, you can point and laugh at your opponent <all in good fun of course> and say "you lost to goblins".)

When I started playing Dark Elves, i wanted something different then what my group was playing. We had 3 empire armies, 1 skaven , 1 vc, 1 chaos, 1 high elf, and 1 wood elf. I had Orcs and was losing alot in 6th edition. I rocked the orcs in 5th, but my beloved savage orc boar boyz were watered down (no more double attack frenzy or 6+ never worse uped to 5+ with shaman armor save) So i switched to dark elves because i liked the way they looked. I lost alot with them right off the bat. However, when i won, it was a crushing defeat. I don't think i've ever had a draw with them. only one extreme or the other.

I have 6 different armies mainly because i want to be able to play and teach those who want to learn. I love dwarves in d&d, Orcs and goblins are plain fun, i love the religious fanaticism of the flaggelents and warrior priests, and i've always been fond of the bad guy. and i like to have my options open. with this many armies i have the opportunity to play any opponent. I love the game, but it's hard to find good opponents in my area.

huron
27-11-2007, 21:55
I play bretonnia and orcs and goblins i enjoy playing with bretonnia as they think there better than everyone else (i think bretonnia and high elves would get on well) and i like playing with greenskins 'coz dey like a gud scrap'.

Qldkiwi
28-11-2007, 06:53
I ran with the Dark Elves.

My personality, i'm kinda twisted when it comes to the way my mind works. My wife and friends think it's wrong that I can watch serial killer/horror/thriller/phsyco movies and know who the bad guy is, what they'll do, how it'll end ect because I can think like they do.

My wife ran with High Elves. She is an engineer, loves dragons and fantasy books, so it fits, unlike me she isn't twisted so HE's fit.

UlricDarksoul
28-11-2007, 13:47
i started DE mostly 'cause in he boxset of fourth, my brothers took the HE and Goblins... as i wanted elves, and at the time WE weren't around (at least in here) i started DE... also i was reading then the Drizzt Do'Urden saga ;)

Also, i have some brets, as they weren't around when we started playing, i didn't started them, but i'm atracted to them 'cause of the chivalry and honour things... for the DE i'm atracted to the big monsters, and individualist character of the faction... also 'cause the tactical skill necesary to win a battle with them :p

in 40k i have DE too... mostly 'cause i coudn't sell them as it was an unpopular army around here... until i played with them and people started to like them (curious, eh?)

elvinltl
28-11-2007, 14:20
I play Dark Elves, because acting "in character" is a good cover for being an arrogant, overconfident fool... while being classy at the same time.

Same here!!! Act high class, evil, schemeing and cunning. And like Elves i am terrible at strength but excel in intelligence and knowledge. :)

Worst still sometimes i become sadistic. And there are times when i go into a Frenzy for no apparent reason. =.=

C-Coen
28-11-2007, 19:10
(i think bretonnia and high elves would get on well)
I don't think so. Both thinking they're better can give some problems...

After reading through this thread I'll be scared of every Evil player I meet.
They may just be evil themselves!

Chris_Tzeentch
29-11-2007, 13:03
well... my first army was orcs and goblins back in 5th edition. When sixth edition came out i switched to dark elves. I ended up selling my orcs and still regret it to this day. Now, in 7th edition i still have my dark elves (almost completely painted and awaiting the revised rulebook), Sigmarite empire (lots of milita, warrior priests, flaggelents and knights), Tzeentch mortal chaos, Beasts of chaos, Dwarves, and I'm reasembling my orc empire (personally i love goblins, because when you lose with goblins they're just goblins and it's expected. But when you win with goblins, you can point and laugh at your opponent <all in good fun of course> and say "you lost to goblins".)

When I started playing Dark Elves, i wanted something different then what my group was playing. We had 3 empire armies, 1 skaven , 1 vc, 1 chaos, 1 high elf, and 1 wood elf. I had Orcs and was losing alot in 6th edition. I rocked the orcs in 5th, but my beloved savage orc boar boyz were watered down (no more double attack frenzy or 6+ never worse uped to 5+ with shaman armor save) So i switched to dark elves because i liked the way they looked. I lost alot with them right off the bat. However, when i won, it was a crushing defeat. I don't think i've ever had a draw with them. only one extreme or the other.

I have 6 different armies mainly because i want to be able to play and teach those who want to learn. I love dwarves in d&d, Orcs and goblins are plain fun, i love the religious fanaticism of the flaggelents and warrior priests, and i've always been fond of the bad guy. and i like to have my options open. with this many armies i have the opportunity to play any opponent. I love the game, but it's hard to find good opponents in my area.

This is extremely similar to my experiences with Orcs and Goblins. I played Orcs and Gobbos for over 11 years, until 6th edition. My Savage Orc Boar Boyz were ruined, and I sold off my 10,000 point army (bad mistake!). I had dabbled in Tzeentch, but it never felt like an army to me. I then did Dark Elves, and had quite a lot of fun with these, but when Hordes of Chaos came out, I did Tzeentch cavalry - these did everything my Dark Elves did and more, so eBay took them. I still have the Tzeentch cavalry.

Tzeentch Loyalist - its rather bizaare we have very similar army collectiing experiences and Warseer names!!!

I have collected various different armies over the years, but Orcs and Gobbos were by far the biggest.

My perfect army would have the following characteristics - speed, manouverability, heavily magic orientated, low numbers, concentrated aggression, and quality sculpts too.

Tzeentch and Tzeentch deamon legions are perfect for me.

I love the idea of the intellectual warrior mages of tzeentch eventually becoming warped by Chaos, but actually developing to an altogether higher level (deamonhood).

Orcs and Gobbos are basically an army of schoolyard bullies. They dont suit my personality at all. Tzeentch suits my personality totally.

Tzeentch Loyalist
29-11-2007, 15:38
Chris_Tzeentch: I have done really well with my Tzeentch mortal list. I lost once with it, and way beat by it twice (let a friend use it). But otherwise I've played it maybe 6 times and only lost to High Elves (shooting rocked me and i have multiple miscasts during that game even with the staff of change). However it always feels good to pull out 13 power dice in a 2k point game. I'm not a power gamer, and its not always about winning. Hell i play dark elves and goblins, and my recent dark elf lists excluded bolt throwers.

In 40k I play thousand sons, again because i love Tzeentch. I had an awesome army. I had a converted daemon prince, dreadnought, and rubic terminators for 3.5 ed. I didn't win much with that army but I loved it. It was fun for me. I haven't been able to try out the new chaos list due to being deployed and all, but when i get home, hopefully i can try it out then. If you want to check out my daemon prince or terminator champion, just go to cmon and look up artist WJG. a few of my works are there.

nerull1025
30-11-2007, 10:12
I started out as O&G then moved on to chaos to get into 40k since it seemed like nobody was playing fantasy at the time and fell in love with chaos. It gives me a reason to improve my painting and converting with all its options.
Personal traits don't really factor into my armies since I consider myself to be an all around nice guy but I'll only play evil armies. Why? Simply cuz all the good armies are boring as hell and filled to the brim with stuck up ponses, plus I'll never love any genre of music more than metal so it mixes tonnes better with evil.
Every time I watch a movie, read a book, or what have you with a good vs evil element I know good is going to win every time for no other reason than thats the way it's always written and I got sick of it real fast.
Chaos doesn't even really match my playing style, I want some shooting that will actually force my opponent to come to me for once, so I would like to start dwarves since theyre the only army I know that has good shooting and good combat troops across the board plus I've gotten used to having no magic since its too unreliable and eats up too many points, but they're just sooo damned boring and stuck up, the drunkeness I like tho.
I'd do chaos dwarves but the models are older than water and theres no way I'm converting all those boring goodie-too-shoes dwarves to actually look cool just to use some horribly out-dated rules, and I'd have a hard time living with myself using good's rules since with their crazy shooting, crazy durability and ld, runes, organ gun (not part of crazy shooting as it and the hellblaster fall into a category of their own: crazy retarded ludicrous shooting), oath stone, and now a cheezed-out anvil of doom that can't be dispelled I think they're too unbalanced.
I just hope when the CD do get (FINALLY) redone they have a healthy dose of big nasty monsters to use, I'd use dark elves but I like my armies to have some durability, plus elves are ***** pansies (with even fuglier hats), which is why I wanted so desperately to use nurgle but was robbed of that opportunity when I realized just horrendously useless (and completely undurable) his rules are in fantasy.
So until the day comes when they give some good rules to a good (read evil) army I'm stuck rushing headlong into my enemies deployment zone with my khornates getting the **** blasted out of me every time, cept when I play VC of course.

Dwarf Runelord 45
20-12-2007, 00:18
I play Dwarfs because little people drinking beer. I play skaven too because i luv to laugh evily when i kill my slaves.

Settler
20-12-2007, 15:41
Precision

Discipline

Dedication

Determination

Righteousness

High Elves

Martial, patriotic, effective.

the blind knight
20-12-2007, 16:03
empire=gizmos(no way in hell did i spell that right)

Mad Jack Deacon
20-12-2007, 18:06
I've never been a huge fan of Chaos (in either 40K or WH), but I love the Beastmen. Brutish, hairy unwashed freaks that come charging out of the woods to die in droves. And you can never go wrong when an army has a unit that suffers from being Drunken. I love my Beastmen army so much that I have a brayhorn of my own and I sound it when I set off the Ambush. I also sound it rather than Waaaghing when I play at the local GW store. This has even become a point of contention with opponents, who grow tired of hearing barbaric blasts of noise whenever my children of the Elder Gods do something. But you know what? They can get out of the woods if they don't like it...

I'm wondering what playing the beastmen says about my personality. While I tend to have an abundance of body hair (thanks Dad. :rolleyes:), I'm neither unwashed nor particularly brutish. Maybe because my ancestors were the equivalent of the Beastmen (Visigoths and all those other "barbarians" conquered by the Romans), that I feel a kinship. Either way, no army comes close to playing in such an unpredictable style (except for the Skaven, who are the epitome of unpredictable).

Yay Beastmen!

Kahadras
20-12-2007, 19:04
This is quite an interesting idea. So why did I choose Empire? Probably because they offered the type of 'fantasy' setting that I was interested in at the time which was gunpowder/steampunk fantasy. I wanted cannon, pistoliers, HBVG, handgunners and outriders. Interestingly most of the concept lists I drew up had little magic and virtualy no magic items in them.

I'm a level headed, down to earth guy who likes a lot of 'grit' so I'm not really a fan of 'high' fantasy. One of my mates pointed out the huge difference between my 'army concept' and another of my mates who has just started High Elves. He wants magic and Dragons up the wazoo and quite nicely shows that Warhammer can easily cater for different tastes.

Kahadras

Darnok
20-12-2007, 22:30
In WHF I collect Dwarfs, Undead, Night Goblins and Ogres. In 40K it is Marines, Chaos (Khorne), Orks, Tyranids, Eldar and Necrons. I believe that has nothing to say about my personality except that I tend to be undecided on what I want. :D

Jack of Blades
20-12-2007, 22:50
Hmm, I haven't really decided yet. I like Ogre Kingdoms and have quite some points of them, but not all are constructed/painted. I'm pondering over VC or Chaos mainly.

So going by fluff, which army calls out to you and says ''me, it's ME!!!'' when I say this: Trickery, Riddles, Magic, Strength, Resourcefulness, Adaptability?

Or to sum it up in five words: Jack of Blades from Fable TLC.

Surprise, trickery, riddles, knowledge, magic and magically-enhanced stuff... that's my game along with some CC. As for my army-preferences, I like characters that can do a variety of things but don't suck just because they're flexible. I always want an ace or ten in my pocket...

Dark Elves are also ok, if I can justify a way for my character not having the body mass of a toenail...

So which army is for me? :P

themandudeperson
20-12-2007, 23:56
Well, I love my skaven for several reasons:
1) I have a bad habit of trying to earn brownie points with my wife only to step on the proverbial landmine, much like anything made by Clan Skryre
2) I always get a sick giggle out of forcing peons to be peed on, so sending my slaverats to their doom to allow me a flanking charge or to bait a unit into a vulnerable position for the rest of my army is just icing on the cake.
3) My friends call me borderline paranoid, as I always lock the doors when I get in, even if I'm not alone. I never take showers alone without a gun and phone within reach and I sleep with the same gun within arm's reach from the bed. I also have a tendancy to check under my vehicle and in the backseat before I get into my car. Every skaven that climbs any higher than the rank of "cannon fodder" has to worry about someone trying to kill him and climb over his corpse to take his rank.
4) When it comes to personal views on combat, I believe honor belongs in books; not in a fight. Skaven probably don't have a word for "honor" in their language...
5) Also, as this was my first fantasy army, I wanted to have fun primarily and win secondarily. Even if I'm losing and my Engineers decide to taze themselves with warplighting and all my warmachines blow up and rip horrific holes through my ranks and rats scatter everywhere and run for the hills, I still feel like I've accomplished my primary goal.

Joewrightgm
21-12-2007, 00:35
My armies, and why i chose them:

Necrons: Ancient undead machines with so many conspiracy theories that would put the X-Files to shame? yes please.

Orcs and Goblins: go hunt, go fight, move on. Da old wayz iz best.

Chaos Demons 40k/Fantasy: Because they're manifestation is no one's fault but our own. They are extensions of a God who was given power to influence those who brought them into being. Kind of a 'sins of the father' kind of thing.

We made them, we gave them power, now they come to take their due, whether that be from our flesh or our souls, or both.

Guy Fawkes
21-12-2007, 02:30
In fantasy, my two main (and first) armies are Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings. I really value tenacity in life and I think nothing represent pure and unwavering steadfastness in the face of anything like the undead. The word "Unbreakable" just sounds good. I love magic heavy armies (I also play a Wizard's Empire List and Tzeentch Chaos from time to time), and an endless horde is awesome. Plus the whole "fear" aspect appeals to me. I can imagine being a soldier, striking down four or five skeletons before Hans, my best friend, is stabbed next to me. Calling down arcane words from a hill at the edge of my vision, I'm overcome by horror as a Necromancer calls to the winds. Suddenly, in a chilling moment, all of the skeletons my whole regiment has felled raise again and turn towards us, Hans with them. It's just so entracing. Plus Vampires are cool.