PDA

View Full Version : Drain Magic and Remain in Play

Noldo
22-11-2007, 05:51
The wording of the Drain Magic is as follows:

"Drain Magic lasts until the start of the caster's next Magic phase.
The casting values of all spells are raised by 3, whether cast by friend or foe.
Further use of this spell by other wizards are cumulative, so a second casting of Drain Magic in the same Magic phase would raise casting values by 6, and so on"

To dispell Remain in Play spell in subsequent turns, the opponent has to beat the casting value of the spell, irrespective of the actual roll of the dice once the spell was originally cast.

Does Drain Magic affect the difficulty of dispelling Remain in Play spells? If I manage to cast Flames of Phoenix with one mage and Drain Magic thereafter with another one, does opponent has to roll 10+ to dispell it on his turn (normal casting value) or 13+ (current casting value)?

Since I am planning on running combination of Dragon Mage (Flaming Sword of Rhuin) and Prince with Radiant Gem of Hoeth (Drain Magic), I suppose this question is going to emerge sooner more likely than later.

Festus
22-11-2007, 06:16
Hi

By the wording of it, it makes RIP spells harder to dispel. This may not be the intent, but this is the rule.

empireguard
22-11-2007, 07:19
What about the enemy's bound spells would they just get better?

dam, my ring is only power level 3. Oh wait now its power level 9 thanks mr High elf.

TheSanityAssassin
22-11-2007, 07:22
What about the enemy's bound spells would they just get better?

dam, my ring is only power level 3. Oh wait now its power level 9 thanks mr High elf.

That was my question. Suddenly being able to get off my Ring of Fury at PL 6 would be nasty, meaning that they have far less chance to dispel it on 1 dice....

Festus
22-11-2007, 07:32
Hi

DM increases casting value, not power level, so no effect on bound spells.

Festus

Ecclesiastes
22-11-2007, 11:10
Hi

Festus

Yup, he's right... We came over the RiP dispell question 2...and we figured that it would be quite nifty to cast Flames of the Phoenix, and then cast drain magic ^^

On the other hand, if the other player has a lot of RiP spells (comet anyone?) It might not be the best idea to cast drain magic...

So that brings up a nice way to keep your high elf opponent from disabeling your magic phase... just make sure you have 1 or 2 RiP spells in play. Bet he won't cast it then...

Caradryan
22-11-2007, 11:23
another question about the high magic. are the 2 new spells dispellable in your oppents magic phase as they say that they last until the casters next magic phase but do not say that they are remains in play (the spells iam asking about are the first (gives a unit a ward save) and third (makes a unit stubborn) i forget there names right now,

Dark_Mage99
22-11-2007, 11:43
another question about the high magic. are the 2 new spells dispellable in your oppents magic phase as they say that they last until the casters next magic phase but do not say that they are remains in play (the spells iam asking about are the first (gives a unit a ward save) and third (makes a unit stubborn) i forget there names right now,

No, you can only dispel Remains in Play spells in your own magic phase.

EvC
22-11-2007, 12:05
And neither of those spells are RiP anyway.

Caradryan
22-11-2007, 12:33
cool just clarifying for some reason i thought they might have been able to be dispelled

Atrahasis
22-11-2007, 14:35
No, you can only dispel Remains in Play spells in your own magic phase.No, you can dispel RiP spells in either magic phase, either using power dice if your own or dipel dice if your opponent's.

Chiron
22-11-2007, 14:49
Hi

Festus

Including TK spells?

Atrahasis
22-11-2007, 15:58
No, TK spells do not have a casting value and so are completely unaffected.

empireguard
22-11-2007, 19:10
what about bound spell that remain in play?

What about WP prayers. I guess nothing for the "prayers" as they arn't "spells"

Noldo
23-11-2007, 09:11
Since Bound Spells have their power level but no casting value, Drain Magic has no effect on them. Issue regarding the Warrior Priests depends on exact wording of their prayers, although most likely no casting value is mentioned and the prayers are just cast with stated power level.