PDA

View Full Version : New daemons, modelling ideas.

dcikgyurt
22-11-2007, 15:38
Okay.

Now that I've finally got access to Undivided Daemons other than furies I've been looking to expand on my Daemonic allies. I've already got 10 Furies, and I'm planning to add a unit of Dryads; green stuffed and painted to look like fire daemons, and I'm planning on using a Verminlord to represent a greater daemon.

Having read Apocalypse I've decided that fielding a Warprift formation could be cool and I want to add in another unit of daemons, but I'm not sure what to use. I don't want to use God-specific daemon models, or anything which already exists in the game (I also don't want to use Skaven as I still have over 100 clan rats still to paint).

So, any ideas?

EDIT: Apologies to the mods if this is supposed to be in MP&T, feel free to move it.

Starchild
22-11-2007, 16:02
I'd try out Ghouls. I was thinking of using them as Plaguebearers at one point. Anyway, they look great as generic Hammer Horror-esque daemons. :cool:

dcikgyurt
22-11-2007, 16:08
I'd try out Ghouls. I was thinking of using them as Plaguebearers at one point. Anyway, they look great as generic Hammer Horror-esque daemons. :cool:

I've thought of that, they look a little too Nurgle for my liking. However, the Spirit things from the undead range might be kinda cool.

You already helped me spawn an idea, thank you.

EVIL INC
22-11-2007, 16:29
I really like your dryad idea. Fire daemons, thus easy to paint (and still look good) with a base coat, washes and highlights. Only details needed would be eyes and mouths. I say continue with that theme.
Another idea that would look good and be really easy to paint, get some regiments of either a variety of armies or a single one and do like in fantasy with ghosts. Have them as ghostly apparition daemons.
Daemon skeletons, get the skeleton army and just have them as direct physical undead daemons. (have the added benefit of doubling as an undead army. Judging from your Ghost Rider avatar, I'da figured youda thought of that).
Whatever you use, remember they are deamons so fluff for why they look the way they do is the easiest part.

Gen.Steiner
22-11-2007, 16:35
I'm still using the Daemonettes, because, well, they're Slaaneshi, damnit! :p Don't think that helps you tho'. Sorry. :(

dcikgyurt
22-11-2007, 16:40
The Skeletons idea is one I've looked at, dismissed out of hand, picked up and toyed with again, thrown out etc and knowing me is what I'll probably end up using.

Thanks for the idea though.

I'm still using the Daemonettes, because, well, they're Slaaneshi, damnit! :p Don't think that helps you tho'. Sorry. :(

Not really, no. ;)

EVIL INC
22-11-2007, 16:52
Well, you can never overlook models that serve dual roles. That is one of the things that got me into chaos to begin with. My blood bowl team is chaos, my fantasy army was chaos. Daemons serve both armies (and even played blood bowl at one time) Even stuff like trolls were in 2nd edition chaos. The last version of the chaos codex? My fantasy models made a show as thralls. Now, look at the spawn for both 40k and fantasy.
You can save loads of cash by matching up models/armies across the games available. (Oxymoron I know mentiong GW games and saving loads of cash in the sentance ).

Dais
22-11-2007, 16:52
how about some necrons.greenstuff, and bitz together to represent technovirus demons? it could be a little difficult making them look like they arent just strange necrons but a demon unit with a sci-fi feel would be quite refreshing.

dcikgyurt
22-11-2007, 16:55
Well, you can never overlook models that serve dual roles. That is one of the things that got me into chaos to begin with. My blood bowl team is chaos, my fantasy army was chaos. Daemons serve both armies (and even played blood bowl at one time) Even stuff like trolls were in 2nd edition chaos. The last version of the chaos codex? My fantasy models made a show as thralls. Now, look at the spawn for both 40k and fantasy.
You can save loads of cash by matching up models/armies across the games available. (Oxymoron I know mentioning GW games and saving loads of cash in the sentence ).

I understand the principle, but I've already got a WFB army that I haven't even finished painting yet.

how about some necrons. greenstuff, and bitz together to represent technovirus demons? it could be a little difficult making them look like they aren't just strange necrons but a demon unit with a sci-fi feel would be quite refreshing.

That actually has quite a bit of merit when combined with the skeletons idea. Use bis from both to make cybernetic undead daemons.

Hmm, the idea evolves..........

Gen.Steiner
22-11-2007, 16:55
Now, look at the spawn for both 40k and fantasy.
You can save loads of cash by matching up models/armies across the games available. (Oxymoron I know mentiong GW games and saving loads of cash in the sentance ).

Don't the different basing requirements make things difficult? :eyebrows:

EVIL INC
22-11-2007, 17:06
I just use the square bases in 40k (no ne has ever told me I couldnt use a square base in 40k just they never told me I couldnt in blood bowl, the fun is more important then that minor detail. The round base "requirement" in 40k is not as big a deal there as it is in fantasy. If you mean that the square base for skeletons are smaller then the round bases (If I remember, they are), it would be easy to convert onto the larger round bases, square holes for them to fit into fairly easily. Even I could do that if I needed to. Havnt had to though becasue in chaos the sizes are close nuff.
However, I have not played fantasy in years and no way in hell am I going to be able to afford getting back into it again anytime soon. So my fantasy models are collecting dust excapt for the occasions when they can serve a role in 40k, as decorations set up in the house or as representatives on the rare occasions when I get to roleplay with my buddies.
I like the idea of mixing necrons and skeletons. The match would be great and its a cool concept. Much better then my own if you already have a fantasy army.

AdmiralDick
22-11-2007, 17:56
i had had similar thoughts at one stage, comming up with my own undivided daemons, although it seems everyone has had pretty much the same ideas, Dryads and Ghouls. i personally really liked to ghouls, and thought i might try and make a Flesh Golem greater deamon. a bit like Frankenstein's monster but probably a bit more random. but if you think that's too similar to Nurgle for your liking that cool.

as an alternative colour scheme for the dryads, i had thought about using dryads in a Mordhiem Elven warband as Night Elementals, using the wizard rules. i'd paint them black and then flick very small amounts of white paint at them so they looked like they were stars in the night sky. just something for you to toy with.

as for other models, you really want to go for things that have shapes that aren't so common in 40k and can have a theme that's not too similar to other daemons. how's about Lizardmen Saurus Warriors (or even Skinks) they have no real equivelent in 40k and with an unorthodox paint scheme they will seem very strange. Dwarves, again with no equivelent if they were converted well with interesting paint schemes they could stand out as unusual daemons. other more humanoid models might prove helpful (if a little boring) beastmen, Bretonnian Militia or Dark Elf Warrirors.

and those are only plastics from Warhammer, when you take metals into account (i have always wanted an excuse to field Black Guard in 40k) or other lines (Pitslaves, representing something more akin to Obliterators, or something really abstract like Eldar cruisers from BFG, representing something like disks of Tzeentch) or even models from other gaming companies (Tharn Blood Trackers or the new Spirit Tokens from Privateer Press, hypoborean Ghouls or Typhon warriors from Crocodile Games, Warriors of Blood or Tigers of Dirz or the Colony of Ephorath with the Demon Tower as a Greater Daemon from Rackham, Dravani Shamblers by Abberant Games, any of the demons or 'guys' from Helldorado by Asmodee Editions, and anything at all from Dark Age). the only limits are your imagination.

Nabeshin1106
22-11-2007, 18:04
I have a friend who uses Beastmen as his daemons. They do pretty well at being generic, non god-specific daemons.

bhusus
22-11-2007, 19:05
I am going with a whole reptile theme for my army - already have cold one for bikes so to follow up I'm thinking Lizardmen saurus for daemons, maybe even skinks. For a greater daemon I'm really tempted to use Lord Kroak...I know - using Lizardmen for Chaos...what better way to stick it to them?

Vlad Von Carstein
22-11-2007, 19:07
anybody have a picture of the deamon? please send me the link :D

dcikgyurt
22-11-2007, 23:45
Whoaaa...

So many ideas. I have to say that the saurus daemons is one that a mate of mine mentioned tonight. I'm a little worried that they could come across as a little Tzeentchian, but that could be due to the fact that everybody and their dog paints them blue.....

As for Beastmen, They generally look too much like Bloodletters (although that's not a bad idea for those of you who want cheep bloodletters without having to wait for GW to release the plastic one next year).

As ever, thanks for the help guys, any ideas are welcome. ;)

bhusus
23-11-2007, 02:22
So many ideas. I have to say that the saurus daemons is one that a mate of mine mentioned tonight. I'm a little worried that they could come across as a little Tzeentchian, but that could be due to the fact that everybody and their dog paints them blue.....

Nah Tzeentch is for the birds; the lizardmen with the right colour scheme would work well as undivided as they don't really fall under any of the Chaos gods' stereotypical armies (this coming from a guy who never paints anything so mine will all be grey).

Rahveel
23-11-2007, 04:34
I found that Dryads worked prety well with some small GS-ing work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rahveel/PICT0067.jpg

Filthy O'Bedlam
23-11-2007, 05:11
That dryad truly kicks ass. I've always wanted to use the oop Treeman as a Great Unclean One.

My 50 large mob of undivided demons are a mix of plastic Beastmen, Marauders, Zombies and various metal Chaos models picked up over the years. The squad started as EoT foot troops and grew to it's present state.

The Warp Rift is incredibly fun and powerful,the sheer shock to your opponents psyche of seeing multiple Greater Demons simply walking onto the board is a major tactical asset.

Cheers, Filthy

Warped Bob
23-11-2007, 05:28
What about squigs? They look pretty crazy.

Rahveel
23-11-2007, 06:10
What about squigs? They look pretty crazy.

0_0*

Brilliant!

Warped Bob
23-11-2007, 06:58
Yeah after posting that I started thinking about using squigs instead of demons with the warp rift datasheet in Apocalypse... When I have the $$$ I think I'll have to do it.

dcikgyurt
23-11-2007, 13:07
Yes, squigs do have a certain appeal to them, but the Orks already get them and I don't want to be confusing people.

Brother Loki
23-11-2007, 15:10
How about gnoblars, or night goblins. Either would work for mischevious imp type daemons.

Gorbad Ironclaw
23-11-2007, 15:38
Or looking somewhere else? There are lots of good demon models out there.
Heresy Models have quite a few nice ones, even a special section for demons:
http://www.heresyminiatures.com/demons_main.htm

bhusus
23-11-2007, 16:17
I am currently using Night Goblins from the Battle for Skull Pass as it is for my demons and they work well because they don't look like anything else from the 40k range.