PDA

View Full Version : Pursuing Through Friendlies into Enemies

Turanos
22-11-2007, 14:57
I just played my first real Fantasy game last night, and came across something neither myself or my opponent were sure about.

I had charged a unit of his, killed them all and was overrunning. My overrun took me on top of one of my own units. I knew that when fleeing, you jump over your own units, but I didn't know if that counted for pursuing too. This is the first part of the situation.

Question 1 - When pursuing or overrunning, do you "leapfrog" over friendly units, as when fleeing?

The second part of the situation is that there was an enemy unit around an inch ahead of the friendly unit I had just encountered. If I was to leapfrog my unit, I would, simply due to the size of the bases (cavalry) of the overrunning unit, come into contact with the enemy unit - essentially a pursuit into a fresh enemy.

Question 2 - If you do leapfrog friendly units, what happens when your base size after the size of the friendly unit brings you into contact with an enemy unit?

Question 3 - Same as above, but what if the friendly unit you're leapfrogging is already in combat with the enemy unit?

We called over another player, and he told us to move the overrunning unit into contact with the enemy unit, and just push back the friendly unit that had been leapfrogged, in order to make room for the bases.

Question 4 - If the leapfrogged friendly and the enemy units are NOT in combat, do you push back the leapfrogged friendly to make room for this pursuit into a fresh combat?

Atrahasis
22-11-2007, 15:59
Units cannot move through each other in teh way you describe - they can only do so when fleeing.

The only exception are flying units.

alextroy
22-11-2007, 19:07
A pursuing unit that comes into contact with a friendly unit immediately halts movement (BRB page 43, second paragraph).

Turanos
22-11-2007, 23:04
Thanks guys, particularly for the page reference as I must have passed over it while looking, and now I know where to go to show other players.

Defender of Ulthuan
22-11-2007, 23:23
No friendly leapfrogging, but as soon as the enemy touches any of your units while fleeing, it is destroyed.

Flypaper
23-11-2007, 06:56
as soon as the enemy touches any of your units while fleeing, it is destroyed.
...If US5+.

Elrond
23-11-2007, 08:23
When you're fleeing it is supposed to you are in a disordered way of fled. You're not more a compact unit of ranks in that fleeing movement so you don't do any real leapfrog movement but rather a disordered, scattared fled through anything on your way. You don't count any obstacle or terrain (except for impassable ones) or friendly units (except for enemy units with US5+ on your way that destroy you automatically). Also remember that when a pursuing unit rolls a sufficient number to destroy your fleeing one, it happens immediatly and not after the inches rolled by the fleeing unit... it's important to understand the concept and the differences of pursuing and fleeing.

Defender of Ulthuan
23-11-2007, 14:51
@ Flypaper:
Thanks, I forgot to mention that :).