PDA

View Full Version : High elf mages and spell selection

Doomclaw
22-11-2007, 17:11
Today when reading through the new high elf army book I found something I wasn;t sure about. On page 46 it says:
"Any High Elf Mage or Archmage may choose his spells from one of the eight Lores of Magic described in the warhammer rule book. (emphasis by me)

This can be read as the high elf playerbeing allowed to actually choose his spells, not rolling for them, as long as the mage uses one of the eight normal lores. I wonder, am I correct in making this assumption or am I totally wrong?

Gorbad Ironclaw
22-11-2007, 17:16
You are totally wrong. It just mean you can choose those spell lists, I believe there are similar wording in some of the other books.

Capt_Ithuriel
22-11-2007, 17:18
You are quite wrong. If you read the main book, once you "choose" your Lore of magic, you get to then roll for the spells in which you have.

Besides, if your posit was correct, there would be no need for the Seer Staff magical item to exist.

Again, I must refer you to whomever has the sig about finding "easter eggs" in the rules.

Cheers!
-J

Atrahasis
23-11-2007, 09:58
The same wording has been used in army books since the dawn of time, and no-one has ever thought it meant that before.

This is the third time I've seen it come up for the elf book, so either there's something special about elves or elven players...

Sephtar II
23-11-2007, 16:16
I suspect that people are remebering opponents who made widespread use of the 'seer' honour.

marv335
23-11-2007, 18:01
the empire book has the exact same wording for battle wizards.

Elrond
24-11-2007, 10:45
The italian version of the book espresses well the concept you cannot choose your spells (as well as it's the same in its translation).

"You may choose spells from any lore" and not "You may choose the spells from any lore". Could you catch the difference for the english for?

Chicago Slim
24-11-2007, 11:12
Also note that while High Elves have lost the Seer honor (which used to allow any mage with that honor to select spells instead of rolling for them), they now have an Arcane Item that does exactly the same thing.

Wouldn't be any need for that, if you got to select your spells without a dice roll, now would there... :) But, as others have said, "choose spells" traditionally does mean "pick a Lore and roll the dice."