PDA

View Full Version : Gaurd heavy weapons.

EVIL INC
22-11-2007, 20:21
Ok, as you might remember, I ordered the gaurd company.
I am a person who likes to have all bases covered and would like to use reguler gaurdsmen as stand ins to help out with heavy weapons to be able to make a set of each weapon. I am assuming that you get enough to field 3 of each weapon in each "3 squad box". With 5 different weapons available, this means I would need a total of 30 men for each box. As the box comes with 6, that leaves me having to provide 24 men per box and as the company comes with 6 boxes worth of heavy weapons teams, That means I would need 144 reguler guys just to flesh out the one of each heavy weapon idea. Thats more then comes as you only get 120 troopers!
So, it looks like it is time for me to move on to plan B.
That is trying to make the weapons interchangable on the basees.
My idea is to magnetize the extra guy to remove him as a casaulty. Then, I also want to magnetize the weapon to make it interchangable. Looking at the pictures of the models, it seems that to use several of them, they use the same chassis. Is it possible to do what I am thinking of? Yes, I know morters are a different story but I dont plan on using them very often as all anyways and could do a few bases of them extra on the side.

Visionary
22-11-2007, 20:26
What i do for my traitors is glue the weapon on a seperate base, then have two guys in base contact so one fires and one loads. Makes it simpler for me ;) Perhaps magnitise just the weapons if you want to do this.

Culven
22-11-2007, 20:33
Each Heavy Weapon Team is supposed to make one Heavy Weapon. However, with a little conversion work and some extra Guardsmen, additional teams can be created. Why do you want to make all of these Weapon Teams? Are you planning on fielding several Heavy Weapon Platoons? If so, you will probably need many Guardsmen to make all of the teams. If you just want flexability on what you field, you can make some of the Loaders and Heavy Weapons interchangable.

Here is what I did, which gave me three heavy weapons per team box.:
Tripod Mounted Heavy Weapon (Heavy Bolter, Autocannon, or Lascannon - Built weapon on a Cavalry or 60mm Base with Gunner. Loader is a separate model.
Mortar - Used Bipod and put weapon on a 40mm Base. Gunner and Loader are both separate.
Missle Launcher - Easily added to a normal Guardsman. Loader is a separate model.
Loaders - Typically a fairly generic model, some with Binoculars and/or pointing as though acting as a Spotter for the team.

I have also seen conversions where the heavy weapon was sat upon some terrain feature, which gives additional Heavy Weapon Teams.

Cry of the Wind
22-11-2007, 20:39
I'd personally keep the loader off the weapon base. It will be easier for you since you will have a full model to remove with its own base and you avoid the rules issues of having two models based together (see the rules section for threads on the issue to see why).

Swaping around the Lascannon, Autocannon and Heavy Bolter don't even require magnets. Make sure the tripod and gunner are glued down well and the guns have a peg that will be snug enough to fit without needing any extra support and will still be easy to take off. As for missile launchers, I don't think there will be an easy way to make that option interchangeable but if you have some spare infantry just give it to them, they don't need the stand or bigger base, just look at the older metal missile launcher guard for how they used to do it.

EVIL INC
22-11-2007, 20:39
Thanx for the ideas. I had actually sat and counted how many I would need if I was to take every heavy weapons teams option available. I doubt I ever do that, but if you look at my chaos army, I like to always be ready and have the extras. Those are some good ideas. So it is "legal" to put them on horse bases? If it is, that is likely the route I will take.
Lotta thought into an army I havnt recieved in mail yet. LOL. Now, back to work trying to find a color scheme that flips my trigger (and is easy to do)...

Cry of the Wind
22-11-2007, 20:42
Sure it's legal, they come with 25mm bases for normal IG and older weapons teams still used that size for their heavy weapons. Cav bases are bigger than that and so are a legal change. All a heavy weapon is , is an upgrade for a normal IG model, those models come with 25mm. You shouldn't have an issue.

catbarf
22-11-2007, 20:52
With a heavy bolter, you can take a standing Cadian and lie it down. With just a little bit of cutting and GSing, you can have him on his belly on the ground firing the heavy bolter a la Vostroyans or Steel Legion.

Light of the Emperor
22-11-2007, 22:42
The way I see it, you can create 3 heavy weapon teams from one (1) weapon team box. You'll need extra bases and cadians but you can have a mortar team, a lascannon/autocannon/heavy bolter team and a missile launcher team (shoulder mounted). So you really only need to magnetize the tripod and the lascannon/autocannon/heavy bolter.

catbarf
22-11-2007, 23:19
Indeed. I wonder if there are people who buy each heavy weapons team separately, and either A. How many mortgages do they have on the house, or B. How many Ferraris/Porsches/takeyourpick they own.

Jon Young
22-11-2007, 23:21
Realistically you're always going to have quite a few 'heavy weapons' (the gun barrel bitz) spare, unless you buy boxes of shock troopers to make them up. Personally I just took the opportunity to turn the tank crewmen I had into gunners.

The crewmen without arms/legs are about the right height to replace the kneeling models serving lascannons/autocannons, and with a few sprue off cuts and some paint you can model them as 'standing in a gun-pit' to disguise the no legs :) That's my best tip. Oh, and the tank commander 'waving/gesturing' arms work well on HW crewmen IMHO.

Bunnahabhain
23-11-2007, 00:41
In summary, there are two approaches.

1. Do them all up as standard teams. It'd boring and expensive.

2. Do them properly. This generally means mortars on bipods, missile launchers on shoulders, and the three tripod weapons on some combination of:
tripods, sandbags/other terrain to replace tripod, lying down, or being carried forwards, so not in a firing position at all. The tank crewman bodies in a foxhole is one I've not seen before, but it makes sense, especially if you make up some camo cloth to go over it.

Bases. Whatever fits. I have a combination of standard infantry 25mm, 40mm terminator bases, the large ones they're supplied with, 25x 50mm cavalry bases, and random plasti-card.

Crewmen. Only ever fix one down, generally by only having one on the base, although magnets work if you're organised- pick a master base, mark it, and get the magnet polarity right off that, so they're all the same.

Theres nothing wrong with having a few modelled up with both crewmen fixed down, especially if you do the bases up as small dioramas- I have some done up with guardsmen carrying autocannons forward as the wehrmach carried MG42s, as it works, but I have spare to replace them with if the casulties come in awkward numbers.

catbarf
23-11-2007, 00:43
There was somebody here who made an excellent conversion of some Renegades carrying a heavy bolter. Let me find it.

Edit: Found it:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/Pfreck/Renegade%20Militia/militiaheavyweaponteam1.png

A great thing if you don't want to buy more legs.

Jon Young
23-11-2007, 11:57
Theres nothing wrong with having a few modelled up with both crewmen fixed down, especially if you do the bases up as small dioramas- I have some done up with guardsmen carrying autocannons forward as the wehrmach carried MG42s, as it works, but I have spare to replace them with if the casulties come in awkward numbers.

Eventually, I'd like to make up a small stock of 'on the move' heavy weapons teams so I can tell which are eligible to fire each turn without thinking about it. Not too expensive since I'm going to have spare shock troops & heavy weapons anyway. Plus it means you can swap the models and bark orders like 'get that cannon set up!' 'We need fire support!' 'look lively with that tread-fragger!' etc.

One of those little side-projects, like the alternate chimera turrets.

catbarf
23-11-2007, 15:55
That sounds awesome- I might even give it a go myself.

srg.cutter
23-11-2007, 16:03
the easyiest thing would be to take a missile launcher team and put them on 2 separate basses one loader one gunner

Culven
25-11-2007, 00:41
Eventually, I'd like to make up a small stock of 'on the move' heavy weapons teams so I can tell which are eligible to fire each turn without thinking about it. Not too expensive since I'm going to have spare shock troops & heavy weapons anyway. Plus it means you can swap the models and bark orders like 'get that cannon set up!' 'We need fire support!' 'look lively with that tread-fragger!' etc.

That sounds awesome- I might even give it a go myself.
Agreed, I really like that idea. I may knock some up myself. :)

Jon Young
25-11-2007, 01:51
@ Catbarf & Culven - if you do, I'd love to see your takes on the idea - my biggest problem has been with the las/autocannon. The only way I can see those being transported by a 2-man team are A) one guy at each end, carrying and B) one guy dragging some sort of trolley or travois. I could really do with some more inspiration otherwise they'll all look samey :)

Curufew
25-11-2007, 04:36
I was wondering do you really need to put them on the big base they give you ruleswise? Or can you put them on the basic small round base?

Spook101
25-11-2007, 04:55
I use a similar idea but i mount all shooters/spooters/loaders on 25mm bases (except mortar teams on the 40's). I mount the tripod weapon shooters with the kneeling legs, and the rest standing.

all my tripod weapons are on Fantasy Monster bases. fits perfectly.

just keep the shooter in base with weapon, spoter in coherency. no problems thus far.
Has the bonus of making the squad less vulnerable to blast/template weapons.

Spook101
25-11-2007, 05:04
I was wondering do you really need to put them on the big base they give you ruleswise? Or can you put them on the basic small round base?

You may put them on the small bases, so long as it is obvious as to their weapons.

If you have any problems, buy some Valhallan/Talarin/Mordian heavy weapons and put them next to your Cadian/Catachan on the seperate bases. Ask them to point out their problem. Should stop any problem makers.