PDA

View Full Version : Heroes and unit fleeing

Luisjoey
22-11-2007, 19:36
Here is a doubt i have

A Warpriest (a hero) is in a unit of spearmen, then they are charged by two enemy units of orks... the warpriest issues a challenge and the Ork hero acepts, they fight in their side dealing one would to the ork hero, but at the end of the combat the orks win the combat and make spearmen check, they check and fails and broke, and the orks follow them and destroy them...

The warpriest is also destroyed? with the fleeing unit?

Thanks in advance

theunwantedbeing
22-11-2007, 19:39
The warpriest is part of the unit, and he flee's along with the unit he has joined.
So he is dead as well.

Luisjoey
22-11-2007, 19:44
Sad! :(

The challenge means nothing then?

theunwantedbeing
22-11-2007, 19:46
Well it stops the unit from killing him in combat.
It allows any additional wounds he causes to be added to the combat resolution instead of being ignored.

But for what you are meaning no, doesnt mean a damned thing.
Had he been seperate from the unit and not run off then the spearmen would have been safe as the other units would have been fighting him still.(well the one in base contact at least anyway)

Luisjoey
22-11-2007, 22:46
And i cannot dissengage him during the combat checking for him his leadership and then the unit?ŋ

Artemis
22-11-2007, 22:58
No you can't. Furthermore, if he is with the unit when it declares a charges, he has to charge with them.

Luisjoey
22-11-2007, 23:00
Thanks a lot friend!

Another question... (sorry iīm new :D )

If i have a hero in a unit (Mounted hero on Spearmen Unit) can i declare a charge alone with the mounted hero taking out the unit behind?

Fate
23-11-2007, 01:42
Yes, a character inside a unit can charge, leaving the unit behind to act on it's own.

alextroy
23-11-2007, 04:27
If i have a hero in a unit (Mounted hero on Spearmen Unit) can i declare a charge alone with the mounted hero taking out the unit behind?

If you mean "can the hero charge out of the unit leaving the unit behind", then yes. He has to use his own LOS to determine legal charge targets and the unit cannot charge that turn, since if it did the character would have to charge with the unit.

Luisjoey
23-11-2007, 05:03
The hero MUST be in the middle of the unit between Standard bearer and Music? or could be in a corner?

DarthBinky
23-11-2007, 05:10
He doesn't have to be dead in the middle of the front rank.

It's worded a little weird, but the character rules seem to say that you can put the character anywhere you want inside the unit- but if he's not somewhere in the front rank, he gives you virtually no benefit (the unit's US would increase, and he could help complete a rank for more rank bonus, but that's it).

Luisjoey
23-11-2007, 05:11
But could be useful to protect characters :D

DarthBinky
23-11-2007, 05:15
If you don't mind him being completely useless, sure.

(Unless you're playing Skaven, in which case, it's encouraged)

T10
23-11-2007, 09:46
Tactics: If you want to improve the chances of having your character (or champion) in a fighting position, then you should put him in the middle of the front rank and keep the front rank as narrow as possible. It's not a 100% guarantee if the unit has a base size greater than 20 mm. For example, a Skaven Master Assassin (20mm) can only contact two cavalry bases.

If you want to reduce the risk of exposing a character in combat, place the character in one of the corner positions of the fron rank, and increase the width of the unit.

-T10

alextroy
23-11-2007, 18:46
The hero MUST be in the middle of the unit between Standard bearer and Music? or could be in a corner?

Heroes and command models must be placed in the front rank of a unit, as long as there is enough space to fit them. Only if there is not enough models in a rank may one be placed further back in the unit, where they have little effect on game play unless engaged in close combat by a flank attack.

There are no rules dictating where in a rank a character or command model must be placed. There are various tactical reasons, some mentioned by T10, for placing characters in different parts of the front rank.

Crazy Harborc
24-11-2007, 01:17
The command models of a unit do in fact have to be in the front row of the unit they are the command of. As mentioned a hero/lord/character is the add in. They are normally placed towards the center of the front row of a unit they join. IMHO, it is a grey area in the rules.

Greyfire
24-11-2007, 14:26
"During a unit's normal move ... a character is free to change position in the front rank of a unit, swapping places with other models in the front rank of the unit." (p 75, in Characters Moving With Units)

I'm pretty sure that the character models can be anywhere in the front rank, thanks to that section.

-=- Steve

Luisjoey
25-11-2007, 01:20
OUKS! Thanks a lot friends! thatīs what i needed to know :D

Makarion
25-11-2007, 02:14
If you don't mind him being completely useless, sure.

(Unless you're playing Skaven, in which case, it's encouraged)

It could work for a scroll caddy, though.

lparigi34
26-11-2007, 03:53
It could work for a scroll caddy, though.

BTW... this can be nice. Can a wizard in the 2nd row cast spells normally if those are not MM or require LOS?

alextroy
26-11-2007, 04:02
No. He may not fight, nor may he cast spells or use magic items when not in the first rank of a unit. This rule is waved if he is engaged in close combat. (BRB pages 72-3)

Makarion
26-11-2007, 05:31
BTW... this can be nice. Can a wizard in the 2nd row cast spells normally if those are not MM or require LOS?

Yes, but the vast majority require LoS.... There's not that many options for viable lores that don't. Even if you get to pick your spells, you'll still have a limited selection of useful choices.

Noteworthy: Lore of Beasts has a great spell to buff melee models, and even in the second rank you can see the model in front of you... A wizard with the #1 Beasts spell can make a unit chamion a veritable terror, while staying hidden him- or herself. It's not worth spending points onb a wizard for, but if you have the model anyway for some magic defence....

Luisjoey
26-11-2007, 05:50
There are several spells that donīt need you to have LOS, could be anywhere in the map!

But if the unit is engaged in combat the caster could do this type of spells?