PDA

View Full Version : Champion Challenges

Luisjoey
22-11-2007, 19:49
A unit of spearmen with a sargent vs a unit of halbediers with champion.

do the chapions can issue challenge on other champions?

Do heroes could issue challenge on sargeant?

Griefbringer
22-11-2007, 20:08
You do not issue a challenge against any specific character/model/unit.

Rather, you specify the character/champion that issues the challenge, and the enemy can then respond with any eligible character/champion of his/her choice.

One.Fit.Outcast.
22-11-2007, 20:23
Yep thats right.
For example, in a combat today with a unit of chosen knights of khorne including a unit champion and lord with flail against a treeman ancient (which they'd charged and beaten repeatedly til it was down to 2 wounds but stubborn Ld.9 is annoying) and unit of wardancers (that just flank charged them). The treeman challenged again as it had for the previous 3 rounds of combat, and as it had the annoyance of nettlings, the lord had so far declined as he would only hit on unmodified 6s regardless of Ws, but now accepted for the crack as it was the last turn we were going to get to play. (if i accepted with the unit champion it would just get ripped apart as he would only hit on 6s and I wouldn't get any other guys' attacks). Also, to try and keep the wardancers at bay, the chosen unit champion challenged the wardancers unit champion, who had nowhere to hide so had to accept.
Just incase you were interested, the chosen unit champion died from a single wound (killing blow) but meant the 2 chosen knights in combat with the other wardancers could rip them apart, and the treeman took another wound and did nothing to the lord (despite its best efforts), and so I won the combat again but the stubborn treeman refused to accept it was to be made into firewood...yet.

Luisjoey
22-11-2007, 22:44
Ok! Thanks! :D

skank
22-11-2007, 23:42
Thought only one challange could take place at a time per combat?...

Masque
23-11-2007, 02:30
Thought only one challange could take place at a time per combat?...

You are correct. The combat above between Chaos and Elves was fought improperly.

Elrond
23-11-2007, 08:30
You issue a challange choosing the character that will do it. So the enemy choose if accept the challenge or not. If he chooses to accept the challenge he also choose with which character or champion going to fight. If he doesn't accept the challenge YOU choose which character or champion will be the coward :evilgrin:

AFoolProofPlan
23-11-2007, 09:05
Hmm, I was wondering about this the other day. Can I challenge with my hero, even though he isn't in base contact with either the Champion or the Hero in the enemy unit?

Gorbad Ironclaw
23-11-2007, 09:08
Yes. It doesn't matter who he is in base contact with, as long as he is involved in the combat.

You could even fight a champion/hero that's not in base contact with the unit your hero is in, as long as they are part of the same combat.

Fate
23-11-2007, 11:32
Not exactly, the character must be in the combat front, meaning tht if a unit is charge in the side or rear the character cannon cannot accept or isue challenges until he is moved to the side or rear so to be in the combat front.

Festus
23-11-2007, 11:55
Hi

A character has to be in contact with an enemy model to issue or accept challenges.

And Fate - don't you mean *Erwin Rommel*?

Festus

Elrond
23-11-2007, 11:55
You're wrong guys. A character can issue a challenge if it is engaged in combat, meaning that he must have a base contact with enemy. Doesn't matter if he is in front or side or rear rank. He can issue or accept a challenge only if it is already in base contact with the enemy during that combat phase (pag. 76-77 of the WRB). "character involved in the combat" does mean "base to base contact" and not "character within the unit engaged by the enemy but not in base contact"... . As Festus has just told.

One.Fit.Outcast.
24-11-2007, 21:23
Can you really only have a single challenge per combat?
It wouldn't've made a lot of difference, but we thought it was just one challenge issued per player and that it didnt matter if it was the same combat if there were multiple units/characters/champions on each side...?

alextroy
24-11-2007, 23:35
Yes. See Fighting A Challenge, BRB page 77, 2nd paragraph of 2nd column.