PDA

View Full Version : Right this is a strange one

TheBigBadWolf
22-11-2007, 21:13
Right 19 of the teams in the European championship wouldnt have competed 20 years ago as they were USSR.

My question is: -

When the USSR was playing qualifing games for the World Cup etc, were their supporters allowed to go with the team to another country to watch, and were supporters of the opposition allowed to go and watch their team play in the USSR?

floyd pinkerton
22-11-2007, 21:40
hmm,actually a good question.

I'd say only the elite would be allowed to travel to away matches to watch, and there would be VERy strict regulations against fans visiting the USSR

RavenMorpheus
22-11-2007, 21:45
hmm,actually a good question.

I'd say only the elite would be allowed to travel to away matches to watch, and there would be VERy strict regulations against fans visiting the USSR

Yeah they didn't want us knowing that they actually only had one working tank, one working plane, a couple of old men with pitchforks and the rest of the "red army" were basically stage props and actors :D

swordwind
22-11-2007, 22:29
*wheels out Cold War fact podium*

Actually the Soviets had so many tanks massed along the East German border, NATO tactics called for us to simply nuke them instead of trying to fight them tank to tank.

*wheels podium back into shed*

Carry on.

Bloodknight
22-11-2007, 22:41
That was due to the Soviet 3 for 1 tactic. They just built 3 tanks for every tank the NATO owned. In the 50s and 60s they posed a real threat because the NATO vehicles were not or not much better. At times the Russians had some seriously good planes, too.

Thank God they did not attack or Germany would have been lost in a fireball (the Nato ground forces would have needed so much time to get ready that the USSR would have rolled over Germany before a reaction other than nuclear would have been possible).

As for the OP's question: I doubt they would have let their people out but they would have let the foreign supporters in, but only under strong supervision.

RavenMorpheus
22-11-2007, 22:43

Actually the Soviets had so many tanks massed along the East German border, NATO tactics called for us to simply nuke them instead of trying to fight them tank to tank.

Carry on.

That was due to the Soviet 3 for 1 tactic. They just built 3 tanks for every tank the NATO owned. In the 50s and 60s they posed a real threat because the NATO vehicles were not or not much better. At times the Russians had some seriously good planes, too.

Thank God they did not attack or Germany would have been lost in a fireball (the Nato ground forces would have needed so much time to get ready that the USSR would have rolled over Germany before a reaction other than nuclear would have been possible).

As for the OP's question: I doubt they would have let their people out but they would have let the foreign supporters in, but only under strong supervision.

Guess I should have used :p instead of :D then...

The pestilent 1
23-11-2007, 11:15

Carry on.

And my dad was in the poor bastard regiment that had to hold them up until they did so.

Jo Bennett
23-11-2007, 17:37
Right 19 of the teams in the European championship wouldnt have competed 20 years ago as they were USSR.

Not true, only 10 of the countries were in the USSR (by my count). A few more were part of Yugoslavia, and others were in the eastern bloc but competed independently.