PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar pinky goodness

Dakwan
23-11-2007, 00:30
I thought i'd get the opinions of people here about a colour scheme i'm planning for my army... Pink. tentacle pink for the major parts and liche purple for minor... it comes off looking not bad but absurdly obnoxious. (i can post a picture when i'm ..y'know... not at work :D)

When i field a dark eldar i always get absurd looks and snide comments being as im the only dark eldar player i know of in my city. infact the local games workshop's line of dark eldar minis consists of two dusty blister backs of Urien Rakarth stored in the back. (literally no product on display.. hilarious). Not to mention the hideous range of models. My roommate just bought a shiny new chaos marines army and the quality difference in our minatures is absurd.

I'm thinking i can increase the distaste (and thus disbelief when i whip them sideways) of my fellow wargamers by painting them an obnoxious pink. With models this ugly i feel i need to bring a little comedy into it.

If some goof showed up for a match with an army that purposefully made your eyes bleed to look directly at for prolonged periods of time would you find this entertaining, irrelevant or annoying. (annoying in a way that it ruins the flavour of 40k and your immersion into it or good old plain annoying much in the way the 13 year old tyranid player at the local gw paints his nids gold because he thinks it looks bad ass but you put up with it endearingly.)

dcikgyurt
23-11-2007, 00:32
Seems funny to me, go with it.....

zealot!
23-11-2007, 00:34
pink is sweet

JimmyP0567
23-11-2007, 01:41
This is almost as funny as the time one of my friends made a Slaanesh Tau Army.

TyrantsShadow
23-11-2007, 06:48
Funny armies are always great to play against, like a while back I played an imitation of the hippy tau army and I was laughing my ass off the entire time. But, if you dont mind a lot of conversion work and and borrowing some models from the dark elves then you could make a really badass DE army. You'd have to start collecting and modeling again, but you could have a "fluffy" army

Dakwan
23-11-2007, 07:08
I'm glad for the positive feedback... i love the fluff and i am a strategy gamer at heart.. but i play the game to have fun and to be honest painting like my 70 warriors of the 'kabal of the primer black' one of the handful of 'dark scary blue or red' colour schemes seemed blah. So a nice pink army to poke fun at the already exsisting gaudiness of the dark eldar tickled my fancy..

my only concern is that alot of players , justifiably, take the game very seriously and because i play the game to the best of my ability i don't want serious and skilled players (not saying the two attributes come in a pair or anything) to avoid me and write my army of as 'silly'. Plus i don't want to outright offend any serious players by playing a goofy army.. i figure warseer forums can be a pretty brutal place and as i haven't had any people steaming at me yet i'm probably safe :P

Pandir
23-11-2007, 07:20
So long as the painting was done well enough I wouldn't care. I don't like looking at a mini that looks like it got splashed random colors by some lazy person.

Vlad Von Carstein
23-11-2007, 07:27
WANNA SEE SOME PIIIICS :'(

also i fought this awesome army yesterday...
u ready...
40k GOBLINS... thats not all... they had conversions in the army... like the shaman had a chaos marine helmet... too big for its body, and the unit of spearmen where on top of a defiler attacking it with their spears, soooooo funny!
it actually fit the ork 40k army list too, the nobz were fanatics, the boss was that shaman from the warhammer starter box.... u had to see it, so hilarious

Dais
23-11-2007, 07:31
ive seen some amazing battleforces for other games done in pink(thats plural folks, two pink wargame forces). ive also seen a few pink necron armies out there. if it is done well pink can look good but its rather hard to paint.

Vlad Von Carstein
23-11-2007, 07:34
PINK NECRONS... they r sposed to be green... who would graffiti on my sacred army (<--- geeeeeeeeeek) WHO SAID THAT?!?

nah pink is a cool colour but i think you shold ask a GW guy about the best way to go around it... as in any certain paints

zealot!
23-11-2007, 11:53
if its painted tell em to shut it

Agrip. Varenus Denter
23-11-2007, 17:05
I love the concept... and honestly, it fits in with the fluff! I feel your pain with being a DE player - before I stopped gaming with them as I thought that they were headed the way of the Squats and wanted to try something new, I remember the disdain I received when I fielded them.

I, too, really want to see how they look all pinky and nasty looking.

CuGunn
23-11-2007, 17:35
If well painted, no one should have an issue with it. It sounds good to me. In fact you got me thinking about changing the paint of my DE army.
If you could post some pics...

UlricDarksoul
23-11-2007, 17:52
i've heard a friend here that his wife wanted to play DE, and paint them pink... the only problem is that she got pregnant, so she's not painting anymore XD

Bregalad
23-11-2007, 19:32
Painting an army pink is a very common idea to make an annoying army. The risk is that after being funny the first and perhaps the second time, it is just ugly after the third, and then you are stuck with an expensive ugly army.

I would prefer a well painted army in common DE style but played well (they can do that quite well if you know how).

the1stpip
23-11-2007, 21:04
If you're gonna do it, paint the armour gloss black, or at least the boots.

Pink and latex is the way to go.

For the record, People in my area don't go 'hah hah rotf' when they see Dark Eldar. Enough people have been on the recieving end of mine.

Dakwan
23-11-2007, 21:35
1stpip: thats what people here are starting to discover :D

So apparantly my roommate took his camera on a trip so i can't post the high quality pic i was hoping for...Damn him and his not being able to read my mind that i need his camera and then put my own needs before his own.

anywho here is a 'rough draft' :
http://www.dakwan.ca/potm/20.jpg

i realize the picture quality is terrible.. also this is just after a base coat and quick ink wash.. the model isn't close to being done. i've been painting on canvas long before i started painting minis so i plan on doing a bit of free hand roses and stylized hearts and what not adorning the armour. But you can atleast see the colour scheme i have started (or as much of it as a crappy webcam photo while allow you to see)

Sunday night i'll repost a done mini with a high quality photo but in the mean time i'd appreciate any ideas on the colour scheme, iconography, conversion ideas, fluff ideas or anything else!

Mr Zephy
23-11-2007, 22:23
Blood dripping from blades, definately. Pink banners on raiders. Bright static grass on the bases.

victorpofa
23-11-2007, 23:15
Does not look too bad. Can't wait to see the final product. What color did you undercoat?

May it be eye-bleeding for your stuffy opponents, and deadly on the tabletop :)

swamp_slug
23-11-2007, 23:27
That looks pretty good. Although being pink it does kinda show up how bad the models really are. At least when they are black your eye doesn't focus on it too much.
Will there be raiders and ravagers? and will they be pink also?
Anyway, I look forward to seeing the rest of this army, how about starting a project log for it?

Edit: Woot! 200 posts!

Dakwan
23-11-2007, 23:58
victorpofa: i undercoated black, i'm likely going to prime the rest white (i picked up 90% of the army second hand and as such he had already primed a handful black)

grats on 200 posts swamp_slug :) in terms of models i have about 100 warriors, 10 syrabites, 4 raiders, about 20 incubi (no idea why as the most you would ever want is 9), about 20 wyches, 10 jetbikes, 3 haemonculi , 3 archon models, 2 urien models, 1 drazahar... 2 talos , a beastmaster and a handful of beasts and thats it. oh and one hellion and 2 mandrakes for some reason.

the raiders will be pink with lots of themed freehand ( a cherub themed one, one that looks suspiciously like a flower garden etc).

and yes the models are painfully bad. I'm getting some dark elf witches to convert but i think i will leave that until i convert/paint the 10 billion models i have waiting for me already.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
24-11-2007, 10:08
I think this scheme is ingenious - original and pinky fun. Go for it!

Baneboss
24-11-2007, 10:57
Some people might not realize it but if for humans pink is a colour of gays, sex, bunnies and all that stuff it doesnt mean the Eldar think the same. For them it might be actually the colour that represents malediction or something...

scarletsquig
24-11-2007, 11:17
Needs glitter on the bases.

Glitter!

BrianC
24-11-2007, 16:02
Don't mention glitter, I don't want my daughter getting ideas. Her guardians are a mix of the same purple and pink. Her Banshees are luminous orange/green, great for playing in the dark. Both schemes are very hard to get a good quality finish. Since she worked out you could mix the silver paints with other colours she has toned down her more recent models, with the exception of her Fire Dragons that are painted in Union Jack red white and blue.