PDA

View Full Version : Going the Whole Gor

dcikgyurt
22-11-2007, 23:42
I'm basing a BoC army on the one in "Trollslayer" I'm basing the core force around the following.

Exalted Champion - Justine
Chaos Steed
Shield
Berserker Sword

Bray Shaman - Grind
Level 2 Mage
Bray Staff
Chaos Armour

Beast Herd 1
12 Gor
8 Ungor with shields
Champion - Hagal
Standard
Musician

Beast Herd 2
12 Gor
8 Ungor with shields
Champion - Lurgar
Standard
Musician

Beast Herd 3
12 Gor
8 Ungor with shields
Champion - Tryell the Eyeless
Standard
Musician

Beast Herd 4
12 Gor
8 Ungor with shields
Champion - Malor Greymane
Standard
Musician

Chaos Giant

I'm also thinking about adding in Beast Lord and a Wargor when I reach 2000pts.

The question is, what else do you think I should take?

Lyquis
23-11-2007, 05:07
First thing, your Exalted champion will be your general, making this a mortal list(you have to pick the character with the highest leadership).

Minotaurs with great weapons, Dragon ogres with great weapons, hounds.

I would also modify your gor to ungor ratio, and add an extra model to increase the panic threshold. If you want large herds as you seem to, you probably want 21(8 gors, 13 ungors), but for main line herds 17 will do(7 gors, 10 ungors).

Ambush is your friend, for ambushing herds you can usually get away with the minimal sized herd, with just a Foe-render(for the leadership).

Hope some of this helps.

heinrichvoncarstein
23-11-2007, 08:18
Shaggoth.. (gurgle gurgle, drool ,drool)

get some centigors and minotaurs, trolls can be an option. What you do need is at least one chariot, and a unit of 20 bestigors with a mark. Also get a wargor with the mark of tzeentch instead of the exalted champion and when you hit 2000 you get a beastlord(not with tzeentch) and you could get the exalted champion if you really want him. That could actually be pretty cool with only beasts and then you have a exalted champion. The wargor with the mark adds combat ability aswell as magic.
P.S get the Shaggoth (gurgle, gurgle. Drool, drool)

(Okay last post)
For the beastlord get the axes of korghor and the crown of horns. (makes for a good combo)

dcikgyurt
23-11-2007, 10:02
So,

Leader with higher Ld than the Exalted Champion,

Minotaurs and Dragon Ogres with Great Weapons,

Chaos Hounds,

Chariots,

Shaggoth..... No so sure, seems like it could be a points sink.

I kinda want an allied Exalted Champion to fit in with the background and to give me something other than beastmen to model and paint.

Dominatrix
23-11-2007, 10:21
Please stay away from the Shaggoth! :D It is an awesome model but dragon ogres are always better than a Shaggoth. If you really want a big monster take a Chaos giant. Much better. Seriously though dragon ogres and minotaurs are both very good suggestions. Chaos hounds also. Trolls require a lot of attention otherwise they will look at the pretty clouds in the sky the whole game (I hate stupidity) but can perform admirably well with regenerate and vomit (works wonders versus knights). Chariots depend on what armies you will face regularly. It is practically a death wish to use chariots vs. Empire or Dwarves for example.

dcikgyurt
23-11-2007, 10:32
Is it worthwhile taking a giant? From what I've seen they are a bit random. As for the list, I want something that can take on any army and if not win then at least give them something to think about.

I've also been toying with the idea of spawn, again they are a bit random, so I'm not too sure. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Dominatrix
23-11-2007, 10:56
The Chaos giant is pretty worth it in my opinion. He is a terror causing unit and that can disrupt your enemies' plans quite a few times. Yes his attacks are random but contrary to just about any other unit in the warhammer universe with random abilities, his random abilities are all worth it. Jump up and down on an infantry unit is devastating. And I can remember quite a few times my giant stuffed an empire general (even luthor huss on a few occasions!) down his underwear. I never got to see my opponens' expressions as I was too busy rolling on the floor, holding my belly and laughing! :evilgrin:

So apart from his formadable combat abilities and lack of personal hygiene :D a giant is also a great unit if he does absolutely nothing. Your enemy knows it is incredibly dangerous so unless he decides to ignore him (bad choice) he has to devote a lot of attention to kill him as he is pretty durable. High toughness, many wounds, terror, stubborn, high leadership what more can you ask? By doing so he is letting the rest of your army reach combat relatively unharmed.

Try him out and see for yourself. I guarantee you will like him!

As for spawn they are not that great. Remember when I said before that random sucks most of the time? Spawn fall into that category. They are not that tough, certainly not killy and compared to the other rare choices beasts have they become even worse. Maybe in the next chaos book they will become more worthwhile but for now leave them in peace! ;)

dcikgyurt
23-11-2007, 12:10
The Chaos giant is pretty worth it in my opinion. He is a terror causing unit and that can disrupt your enemies' plans quite a few times. Yes his attacks are random but contrary to just about any other unit in the warhammer universe with random abilities, his random abilities are all worth it. Jump up and down on an infantry unit is devastating. And I can remember quite a few times my giant stuffed an empire general (even luthor huss on a few occasions!) down his underwear. I never got to see my opponens' expressions as I was too busy rolling on the floor, holding my belly and laughing! :evilgrin:

So apart from his formadable combat abilities and lack of personal hygiene :D a giant is also a great unit if he does absolutely nothing. Your enemy knows it is incredibly dangerous so unless he decides to ignore him (bad choice) he has to devote a lot of attention to kill him as he is pretty durable. High toughness, many wounds, terror, stubborn, high leadership what more can you ask? By doing so he is letting the rest of your army reach combat relatively unharmed.

Try him out and see for yourself. I guarantee you will like him!

As for spawn they are not that great. Remember when I said before that random sucks most of the time? Spawn fall into that category. They are not that tough, certainly not killy and compared to the other rare choices beasts have they become even worse. Maybe in the next chaos book they will become more worthwhile but for now leave them in peace! ;)

Thanks for the tip, I'll scratch spawn off my shopping list and add in a giant. ;)

dcikgyurt
23-11-2007, 21:10
Having read the Army book more thoroughly, I can certainly see the appeal of a giant, likewise Chaos puppies and Dragon Ogres.

I want the army to be predominantly beast men so I may add a couple of extra Beast Herds.

Dominatrix
23-11-2007, 21:33
Remember that ambushing herds can be kept to a bare minimum of models and be used very effectivelly in taking out warmachines/ missile troops, while herds that start on the table should be beefed up to take into account casualties from shooting/ magic.

Beasts of chaos if used exclusively and not in conjunction with mortals and demons have a very unique playstyle. It is not a mainstream army so it is tricky to master, but it is also fun, original and refreshing. And if you get bored try out variations like fielding a minotaur lord led cow army, or mix in mortals and demons. The possibilities are endless! :D I play chaos eight years now and I still come up with new army lists when I feel I need something new or that my old list is getting boring. That's the beauty of chaos the sky is the limit! :evilgrin:

dcikgyurt
24-11-2007, 13:04
I'm only going to included one Mortal, my Exalted Champion and that's purely for fluff (as I mentioned in the OP).

Other than that I'm basing it purely from BoC. Ambush does seem to have it's merits, but then, so does a tide of beastmen, I suppose that's the beauty of Beast Herds, I can choose to ambush or just surge forward. I'm not too interested in fielding Bestigor. They look good on paper, but I'd prefer to have as much of my army as possible skirmishing to reduce casualties from shooting/templates.

brambleten
24-11-2007, 13:58
watch out using a giant against lizardmen. with the skinks poison weapons, especially if they are blowpipes. if 25 skinks move, then are shooting at long range at a large target with 2 shots each, thats 50 shots hitting on 6s, which is when poison kicks in and you dont have to roll to wound. as far as i know, a giant doesnt have a save, so thats good bye to mr giant

dcikgyurt
24-11-2007, 14:19
Thanks for the advice. Lizard armies can be scary enough anyway. This has just added another level of scary.

dcikgyurt
25-11-2007, 23:19
Having rea the thread on mounts for mortals, I have decided that my Exalted champion needs a chaos steed (I don't see the point in going for anything else) and the berserker sword for silly amounts of attacks.