PDA

View Full Version : Idea; 40K Campaign Packets.

WallyTWest
23-11-2007, 00:54
Rember the campaign packets published for fantasy back in the 90's?

Tears of Isha, Idol of Gork, Circle of Blood, Grudge of Drong and Perilous Quest. Plus GW also created some for 40k. (Far less familiar with em')

Yesterday I took out Circle of Blood (Unpunched) and started reading it. Holy cow there was somthing here. Actualy the new fantasy campaigns seem to borrow from the concept.

I was thinking that the Fanbase/GW could create some "Campaign Packs" and it would really do alot for the hobby. Pick two armies, have a guide on how they where constructed (like in 40-60$ blocks.) Then write about the campaign and tell its story. Afterwords give a brief for a 6 battle campaign for 2-4 players, with atleast two inovative new sceneros and terrain articles. Provide a scoring system and nice campaign maps.

You would not need to write new Army Lists or anything, just present it like a gamers article. A nice PDF could look realy great! I know that I would read them and if I liked the conflict I would definately "game it." Also 40K is in dire need of a few more intresting sceneros.

Campaign Ideas.
Rynn's World (Space Orks v.s. Crimson Fists)
Wheel of Fire (Spacewolfs v.s. Space Orks)
Sabat Crusades (any conflict)
Vogen (Chaos v.s. Cadians)
Angelis (Space Orks v.s. Necrons)
Sin of Damnation (Blood Angels v.s. Genestealers)
Hades Hive (Guard v.s. Space Orks.)

Story-->Collect-->Terrain-->Game-->Fun

Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Cry of the Wind
23-11-2007, 01:03
I like the idea although FW is already doing that in some of their IA books (Volumes 3 and 4 for sure, and I assume that 5 is much the same). Those books have detailed stories and reports on a particular campagin that took place and have scenarios to recreate the key battles (in IA:Vol3 that included battles in BFG and Epic too!). I love those books and will continue to buy them just for the read as much as for the new rules and army lists that go with them.

It would be cool if GW did that too for historical battles that are described in the fluff on a more standard way than the summer campagins they currently do. I know I'd buy campaign books if they sold them (of course they'd need to be as good as FW, though maybe a little smaller and cheaper).

WallyTWest
23-11-2007, 01:17
Im not saying if they where sold. (Actualy the forgeworld stuff is like this concept but on a completly diffrent level! Its Insane Stuff!)

Im talking a mob of five guys taking out a camera and nice terrian. Creating nice 1000 point armies. Then writing a 5 battle campaign for Rynns World and afterwords posting them on warseer as a "Firebase grade" Warseer download.

A huge project, but a cool one. (No sarcasm, I think it would be tough.)

I think that it would help get more painted armies on the table, and people would get more out of it than lets say... a summer campaign. (That was very harsh of me and I apologize, but I feel that way.)

Cry of the Wind
23-11-2007, 01:26
I get what you're saying, I'm just assuming that a GW produced product would cost money.

As for fan done, check out Bell of Lost Souls, they have a Warhammer 30 000 thing going on right now that might be something like what your talking about (I've only glanced at the pictures from the battle reports but I think they wrote a bunch of stuff to go with it).

The summer campaigns are good if your gaming group really gets into it, it's one of those things where you get as much out of it as you put in. I think that is true of any campaign though GW sponsored or not.

Ambull
23-11-2007, 03:09
I'd definitely like to see campaign packs come back--the old ones usually had some good accompanying model releases, so armies would get some attention between books. As far as I know, Storm of Vengeance (Orks v. Dark Angels) was the only one they released for 40k, and it's actually available as a free PDF in the DA section on GW's site, updated for 4th ed. They even include a guide for building the power station from the Cities of Death kits.

For a fan-made campaign, yes, it's ambitious, but definitely possible, and sort of exemplifies what something like Firebase represents. Perhaps you could even create special characters for the campaigns based off of fairly simple conversions (using easy-to-find parts and basic modeling techniques so that anyone could make them)?

JimmyP0567
23-11-2007, 03:45
I suppose it would be good, but judging by the options I had in your poll, there's no way I can show what I really mean't. So I would have to go with 'Disagree'.

While the concept of bunch of supplemental Campaign packets sounds good, it's another excuse for me to go spend a bunch of money that will be run at the local GW for a week, then forgotten about for the next three years or so. It also, I should think, would take time away from the development of new Codices.

Luisjoey
23-11-2007, 04:57
it could be useful... if you want them buy them!

A packs like this with some scenery, missions and well maybe few miniatures could be lovely :D

Takitron
23-11-2007, 05:30
Rember the campaign packets published for fantasy back in the 90's?

Tears of Isha, Idol of Gork, Circle of Blood, Grudge of Drong and Perilous Quest. Plus GW also created some for 40k. (Far less familiar with em')

Yesterday I took out Circle of Blood (Unpunched) and started reading it. Holy cow there was somthing here. Actualy the new fantasy campaigns seem to borrow from the concept.

I was thinking that the Fanbase/GW could create some "Campaign Packs" and it would really do alot for the hobby. Pick two armies, have a guide on how they where constructed (like in 40-60$ blocks.) Then write about the campaign and tell its story. Afterwords give a brief for a 6 battle campaign for 2-4 players, with atleast two inovative new sceneros and terrain articles. Provide a scoring system and nice campaign maps.

You would not need to write new Army Lists or anything, just present it like a gamers article. A nice PDF could look realy great! I know that I would read them and if I liked the conflict I would definately "game it." Also 40K is in dire need of a few more intresting sceneros.

Campaign Ideas.

Good Idea/Bad Idea?

this is a fantastic idea, bigred and crew have a great example of what you are talking about on their website
Bell of Lost Souls (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/)

It is their Warhammer 30,000: Age of Heresy Codex (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2007/09/warhammer-30000-age-of-heresy-v2.html). We are currently moving onto the last two weeks of the campaign, the Siege of Terra!

Easy E
23-11-2007, 18:45
This was what the Black Gobbo use to be for. Now it is just another part of the boring marketing machine.

Also, this seems to be the idea behind the BoM and Skullpass box sets.

I love the idea, but I think it will have to be fan initiated. GW just isn't up for that kind of creativity anymore.

Takitron
23-11-2007, 18:46
This was what the Black Gobbo use to be for. Now it is just another part of the boring marketing machine.

I love the idea, but I think it will have to be fan initiated. GW just isn't up for that kind of creativity anymore.

Check out the first post again, he is suggesting it be put into firebase. A fan created e-zine. I think this is a great idea, and I've started pondering the Rynn's World one. I <3 Crimsonfists

WallyTWest
24-11-2007, 03:43
Funny that you bring up Rynn's world. I actualy was thinking about it all day.

Im a big fan of the Fluff in Rogue Trader and the First Book of the Astronomician actualy names one of the armies that invaded Rynn's world.

Luggub's Drop Legion; the force includes Space Ork Comasars, Commando Squads, Captured Imperial Speeders, Dreadnoughts and BigGunz. One heck of an attacking force!

Imagine Kaptas as looted landspeeders! An Space Ork warboss dressed like a Comassar! And in an ironic twist of events, the Ork's are using drop-pods on marines!

Marines are suplementing their armies with Hive Gangers and PDF survivors. They are raiding Ork supply depots, retreating to sewers like rats! Trying to survive long enough for imperial reinforcements to come and save them... Assuming that the message even has gotten through! You could use TL&D armylist!

Oh the posibilitys kill me! And to write and post it, yikes! That would be a dream. Modeling New Rynn City! How to make a Desert in 7 days! Build a Stompa! Battlereports! Cortez and Luggub! What a dream!

My understanding is the new 40k boxed set is suposed to come with Marines and Space Orks... A perfect time to do it, or at least prepare.

Seth the Dark
24-11-2007, 05:08
I would love to read and possibly play through one of the campaigns.

LoneSniperSG
24-11-2007, 05:22
Campaign Ideas.

Good Idea/Bad Idea?

The most bomb one we thought up on B&C would be to stage an assault on the Fang, the Space Wolves fortress. There were two (possibly three) major assaults made upon the venerable fortress. The first attempt was by far the worst. The 1k sons were pissy after Russ sacked their library world, so they paid a visit to the Fang. The second assault is the most memorable, as the Fang was held by Bjorn the Fell-handed and only a skeleton crew of marines. That lunatic Vandire sent the attack against the Wolves. I forgot why, i need to get the SoB codex and read the entry.

And what the CRAP is this Wheel of Fire? Never heard of it.

folnjir
24-11-2007, 05:30
I would enjoy them, but I would not want to see them get released at the expense of Codexes that really need updating. I like the FW books but I think this is where these kind of things are going to stay.

cheers for the info on the updated Storm of Vengeance download. I have the original and now will have an updated version to play with.

WallyTWest
24-11-2007, 05:56
what the CRAP is this Wheel of Fire? Never heard of it.

The Wheel of Fire is this rad campaign from the Book of the Astronomican. Also known as "The Wolf Time", and the cover is a scene from one of the missions. It was a campaign that concentrated on Spacewolf Chapter fighting Space Orks. The Wheel of Fire is a huge warpstorm that has enveloped several human systems for thousands of years. At the center is a stable pocket of space.

The spacewolves lead by a roguetrader and with the blessings of the imperium set out to chart and reclaim the Wheel, but soon find that the area is rife with a failed ork waagggh. Wolftime concentrates on the liberation of the planet Xit that has fallen under the dominion of the self proclaimed ork governor Kulo Kargash.

Its cool because its the first real 40k campaign. It has all sorts of nifty missions. The total number of turns it takes for the space marines to accomplish the missions affects the number of turns the Spacewolfs have in the last mission.

I made a proxy of the temple some time ago using an old Buda figure, and although it looked good for highschool... I have wanted another go at it.

As an old school Space wolf player im surprised you donít know what the "CRAP" it is.

Takitron
24-11-2007, 05:57
I would enjoy them, but I would not want to see them get released at the expense of Codexes that really need updating. I like the FW books but I think this is where these kind of things are going to stay.

cheers for the info on the updated Storm of Vengeance download. I have the original and now will have an updated version to play with.

Guy guys, stay with us here. we arent asking GW to make these, we are asking OTHER GAMERS to make these. Screw GW, Lets think outside the box!

I will look into enlisting local help for one of these...