PDA

View Full Version : Silly question time.

Getifa Ubazza
23-11-2007, 04:54
Ok First question is easy: What army did you start with in 40k and why?

Second question: If you were starting 40k, for the first time today. Which one would you pick and why?

My first army was Imperial Guard. I liked that they were the poor bloody infantry, plus the Leman Russ had just come out along with all the wonderful metal infantry models. I wanted every type in my army.

If i was starting in 40k now. I think it would be Tau. The models and fluff are so cool. Plus like me, they dont seem to quite fit. Which is one of the things i kinda like about them.

Luisjoey
23-11-2007, 04:55
My first is Black Templars... i started like 4 month ago

As n00b i would like to play dark angels or imperial fist.

Wagesage
23-11-2007, 05:18
My first army was technically Inquisition since my first models were an old grey knight librarian (sp?) and a squad of the old grey knights. However, the first army I collected was (and still is) Imperial guard. Just got to love armies composed of suicidal waves of men who throw themselves at the enemies of the emperor.

If I had to start over, I would collect orks because of their fluff. Also, lets face it, 4 attacks each from a charging choppa/slugga ork multiplied by 20 is enough to make me grin from ear to ear :D. Plus, the models are just so cool IMHO. And lets not forget the chance to customize the army.

Huoshini
23-11-2007, 05:39
First army???? Only the best army! DARK ANGELS!! two editions ago...Lawl

If i started now? Probably an ork army.

Hicks
23-11-2007, 05:43
My very very first wasn't even an army, I got codex: Catachans and a lascannon team. I really wanted a guard army, but it didn't take long before I found out that there was no way I could afford it. I scraped that for a Nurgle army only to come to the same conclusion... so 3rd times a charm, the Armageddon (with those wonderfull but horribly expensive Steel Legion minis, yes I still wanted to do guards) campain came out with all those articles on different Imperial factions. I went with the Flesh Tearers, I loved the scheme and fluff and they weren't as expensive to collect.

Of course, now I have more money so I got me that Steel Legion army. I no longer have the Flesh Tearers, but I'm assembling a DIY marine chapter. If it weren't for the money issue, I might never have played marines at all.

TyrantsShadow
23-11-2007, 06:31
first army: dark angels. my bro was playing them so I "borrowed" some of his minis and bought a few squads. 6 months later I traded them to him to start to tyranids who I have today.

Now: Definately Dark Eldar. I have been thinking of modeling and converting an army for about a year now, planned out different conversions for models, in general planned it out completely. Now the only issue are funds for such a project.

Kasonic
23-11-2007, 06:44
1st Tau, 2nd Orks.

But I think I'll just keep playing Tau and start Orks and have twice as much awesome.

marneus54
23-11-2007, 06:50
1st is Tau which by the way is the best army ever not dark angels *cough* huoshini *cough* 2nd imperial guard.
If i started now...hmm...probably the orks, I love mobs :evilgrin:

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
23-11-2007, 06:53
My First Army: Chaos Space Marines [my current army] many years ago.

If i'll start now: Chaos Space Marines, or LatD

superknijn
23-11-2007, 06:53
1st army was Imperial Guard, and it would still have been that if I started now, one and a half years later. Ofcourse, it would have looked much better, but the latter 1500 points are actually quite showable.

Also, the Tau do fit in somewhat, bu most 'veterans' don't understand that, and neither do most Tau 'players'.

Pandir
23-11-2007, 07:08
I started with Orks about a couple years ago because well I'm an Ork at heart and what isn't to love about the greenskins.

If I started again? Still Orks! Though maybe Guard,love the tanks.

darrelltmcd
23-11-2007, 07:23
My first army war Nids. because of the look, and who doesnt like the idea of something as big as a hive tyrant ripping men limb from limb. or hundreds of gaunts running across a battle field like a shoal of fish.

If I were to start again today, I dont really know. there are so many good armies. tau for asthetics, eldar for prettyness, Orks for convertions, necrons for shooty death, or marines for all round good. would have to be few in numbers tho because it gets boring painting 100 gaunts.

USABOB
23-11-2007, 07:27
I started with Spacemarines because of the PC game Chaos gate (had to make them Ultras too :p).

If I started now I probably wouldn't pick anything because I can't get Chaos gate to run corectly on my comp :cries:. If I encoutered 40k otherwise it would probably still be Space Marines, I just purely like them for aesthetics.

Vlad Von Carstein
23-11-2007, 07:36
NECRONS.... the other armies are too normal... if i started now though still necrons but then later on i would go for Dark Elder

marneus54
23-11-2007, 07:45
eldar for prettyness

HAHA! wow that makes them sound even more gay
no offence to you or anyone that might be.
disclaimer :p

inquisitor solarris
23-11-2007, 07:47
first army was space marines (black templars before the codex) then BT then did Dark Angels, planning to create a imperial guard to boost up my apocalypse forces (because of the gaunt stories and tempting baneblade X).

Herman the Heathen
23-11-2007, 07:47
My first army... about 20 years ago (yes it was Rouge Trader) ORKS!!! Insane mondels, whacky weapons and Mad Max type vehicles, I satyed with the orks ever since, despite what they did to them in the 2:nd ed.

Start a new army... Would prolly still be the orks (am I the only one that actually hoped the the Uruk Hai would succed in storming the Helms deep? Or got sad when Bruce Willis killed all the orks in The Fifth Element -yes tehy were clearly ORKS!).
I might consider a World Eaters army though (playing Chaos in WHF)

Seth the Dark
23-11-2007, 07:57
My first army was Eldar and if I were new to the hobby I would have to choose Necrons because I tend to recommend that army to beginners for their easy to paint aspect and their forgiving play style.

Filthy O'Bedlam
23-11-2007, 08:51
Chaos Space Marines way back when second edition launched, then the 2nd edition Chaos codex hit and I was hooked for life. I've flirted with Tyranids and various Inquisitors of the years, but I always come back to Daddy.

If I were start today, The Tau models are great and they look fun to use, but they aren't Chaos, so I'd get bored with them.

Cheers, Filthy

Adiem
23-11-2007, 09:50
Well, I'm pretty new to this whole thing, and I chose tyranids, because I love the pure sci-fi element of them; too many of the 40K races are just <-insert fantasy race here->-in space, in my opinion.

That said, I'm already half-pondering a second army of eldar, purely because I love the models, especially some of the infantry (dire avengers, anyone?)

ankara halla
23-11-2007, 09:57
First army was Squats. I liked the bikers and the idea of hearthguard and living ancestors.

If I were starting now I'd propably go DKoK (assuming money isn't an issue).

EldarWolf
23-11-2007, 10:03
Rogue Trader (back in the beginning) - Marines & Eldar as I wanted a choice.

BrianC
23-11-2007, 11:12
First would be Ultramarines as I like the paint scheme and their prissy nature, not forgetting that they are the best supported Chapter by GW.

If I was starting again I'd probably still chose the Ultras, but the new Ork codex is looking mighty tempting to me. I'll more than likely start collecting Orks some time next year.

dcikgyurt
23-11-2007, 11:19
I started off with Black Legion (Sons of Horus/Lunar Wolves) and I chose them simply because they are the legion of the first primarch to turn against the emperor.

If I was starting today I would probably chose the same army for the same reason.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
23-11-2007, 11:19
Started on Chaos after being re-introduced to GW at Uni 4 years ago (before that I had played fantasy as a kid). I wanted an easy to play army and both my friends who got me into it had Space Marines already and another friend was onto Space Wolves.

If I started now I would go straight for Eldar, this is the army I play most and enjoy painting the most.

Silverchairguy
23-11-2007, 12:09
I started on Eldar because I saw a banshee model from 3rd edition and I thought wow! It looked alien as hell! Only problem was that it was pretty hard to get used to the army at the beginning, and I'd certainly not recommend it as a starter!

Earthbeard
23-11-2007, 12:38
First army, though it never reached true army stage was RT-era Eldar, with all there mohawks and odd weapons.

After that i got Tons of genestealers and Terminators for spacehulk etc, so gues it was marines/tyranids.

Corporal Chaos
23-11-2007, 17:23
My first was the Space Marines (RTB01) and Orks, yes both because thats what was available. Box of Marines and a box of Orks. As the game got more depth I went the way of the Wolf, Space Wolves. Now I'd start with the Dark Angels. No real reason except they were the First marine legion created.:D

Visionary
23-11-2007, 17:47
First army tau,
Basically my first ever game was against the old edition eldar, i was marines and the guy cheated really badly having larger army than me, having 1+ saves etc. So throughout the game i was stuck in a tiny section of the board which i dare not leave as i would've died. So i thought I must get an army than can shoot even firther than eldar!

If I were to start again I'd go the same route as before as i've I'd jumped straight to where I am now making a missile launcher of doom on a tank I'd have mucked it up but now I can do it (Touches nearby chunk of wood).

Cry of the Wind
23-11-2007, 18:03
First models for 40k- Dark Angel Tactical Squad
First Army for 40k- Eldar 3rd Ed Codex

Starting from scratch I'd probably go full out Imperial Guard. I have found that army to be one of my favourites to play (granted the Inquisition have helped that along greatly).

Machinator
23-11-2007, 18:21
My first army back in the Roque Trader days was the Salamander space marines. Fastforward almost 20 years and I'm now working on....Salamanders! After this will be Chaos followed by either Orks or Imperial Guard.

mistformsquirrel
23-11-2007, 19:29
I started with Blood Angels (but just a few months ago myself); partly because I loved the idea of the Black Rage and fighting against it; and also because I love making successor chapters to famous ones. Also an all jump pack army just looks spiffy.

If I had it to do over though, I'd have started with Eldar; because creating my own craftworld is turning out to be massive fun.

TheOverlord
23-11-2007, 19:32
I started with chaos, 2 years ago, because when I was introduced to the game by a friend, our little group had 3 marine players, so they suggested I try something else. Since I liked the idea of space monks in power armor, I was first hooked at the sheer beauty that is the Grey Knights, and wanted terribly to start it, but found out the cost of it to be mind blowing for so few models. Then I saw Chaos, and I knew, right there and then, I was a servant to the Ruinous Powers forever.

If I were to start right now... it would probably be Chaos again, with the release of their awesome new models, or the Traitor Guard list from FW.

Sister_Sin
23-11-2007, 19:42
My first, from when RT was released, was the Salamanders, which army I still have and have added to immensely over time.

If I were starting out today...probably Armored Battlegroup since I love tanks and the new Baneblade warms my heart.

Currently I am working on both my Salamanders (still!) and my Armored Battlegroup, the Tarakian Panzers.

Sister Sin

Repzik
23-11-2007, 20:27
My First army was the Tau, and i still play them. i really loved the modles and especally the battlesuits, oh and the broadsides.

If i had to start now and money wasnt the issue, i would play Big Bugs or DKoK. ive always loved carnifexes and DKoK just look sweet and i like the idea of an artiliery army

Kinsley
23-11-2007, 20:39
First Army: Space marines because I loved the idea of Holy Crusaders! Painted them up Ultramarines because I didn't like the red marines i saw on the starter box :P

Army I'd start now: As a starting army, Orks because their awsome. Maybe Necrons because their easy to paint, not alot of model count, and cool looking!

the1stpip
23-11-2007, 20:59
First Army - Ultramarines, back at the beginning of 2nd ed. I wanted to get into 40k (already playing fantasy) so a friend sold me his old Ultramarine army.

Now - I would start with either Chaos or Guard, for fun, and then having learnt the game, move on to Dark Eldar. I can't imagine not playing Dark Eldar.

Thoth62
23-11-2007, 21:22
My first army was chaos, and that might have been mostly because I was playing chaos with Fantasy prior to that. I'm not really sure where the desire to play Chaos came from other than thinking about how in movies it was always the bad guys who lost, and I wanted to change that. I suppose my current army of Thousand Sons reflects a little bit on that combined with the role of a tragic hero, on the road to damnation.

If I were to start now, it would likely be much the same, although if it had to be a different army, it would probably be the Space Wolves. Again, I'm not sure why. They seem to be somewhat unique in the vast conglomeration of cookie cutter marines.

The_Patriot
23-11-2007, 22:46
My first army is Sisters of Battle because I'm intrigued by the idea of faith. The other reason was that they're nuns with guns. ;)

If I was to start an army today it would be Sisters of Battle for the same reasons as above.

PlasticFork
23-11-2007, 22:55
The first model I ever got was a Falcon Grav-Tank.

First army was an Ultramarines off-shoot in about 2000. First properly constructed army were Space Wolves.

I restarted a couple of months ago, and somehow already have about 1,000 points of Witch Hunters (mainly because I never threw my minis away from years ago).

Dio´Ra
23-11-2007, 23:20
First 40k models i owned were the first termagaunts.....but my First army was Eldar Ulthwe, allways loved the magic phase in warhammer, and warlocks are cool models to paint....now my eldar are collecting dust for around 3 years :rolleyes: as i refuse to buy falcons, fireprisms or waveserpents :o

if i were starting now....i would start DKoK or SoB, but my focus is anyways fixed on them right now :D

Cromenon
23-11-2007, 23:34
My first army, LatD, which expanded to CSM. Always loved the traitor concept and fluff, I think it is one of the most interresting concepts in the 40k universe.

And if I started now, I would pick Daemonhunters. Why? Because, although they are a difficult army to start playing with, their miniatures are, to my view, the best (in terms of detail and the like) of all 40k minis. I love them.

victorpofa
23-11-2007, 23:37
First models: Tau for a small squad game that was supposed to be run at my club, but never did. Now they will be part of a real Tau army sometime next year.

First army: Space Wolves (started about a year ago and reached 2000 points painted last month). Playing through Dawn of War I loved the Leman Russ tank your allied IG fielded, and the Wolves were Vikings who could field a Russ so the fit was natural :)

If I were starting today: Orks all the way. They will have an incredible 2008.

I <3 W
24-11-2007, 04:25
well about half a year ago I played battle for maccrage with my frien who had another army and I though 40k as AWSOME so I looked at the armies and though....kewl evil robots....and bought 1.5k necorns. Now I'd start eldar.

blackroyal
24-11-2007, 06:51
My first was pre-codex Black Templars. They were pictured on the side of the tactical and combat squad box with Blood Angels and a few other chapters. They also looked really cool on the 3rd edition artwork.

Nowadays I probably wouldn't have started. It's gotten so expensive. (Mordian Guard)

*muses*
I probably would have a girlfriend and a more impressive social life. Hey, it's good to be a nerd.

Grand Warlord
24-11-2007, 07:31
I started with dark angels.

if I had to restart now ... probably if not dark angels (love the background) it would be IG, or Tau, or maybe Eldar.