PDA

View Full Version : 40k Novels, Black Templar/Eldar

nerflung
23-11-2007, 12:17
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of good Black Templar or Eldar novels to read?

pookie
23-11-2007, 12:22
the Eldar Novels im told are to be stoped away from, they seemed to have rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way 9 ive not read them so can only go on whats said)

BT turn up in a few books, the one i can think of is war for Armeggedon (if i remeber the title right that is) .

Templar Ben
23-11-2007, 13:45
The only BT specific that I can think of is the comic book.

Everyone hates the Eldar novels because the Eldar are made the very bad guys and people that generally go and pick up an Eldar novel are people that love Eldar.

kikkoman
23-11-2007, 17:34
it's not that they're bad, it's that they're really bad at being bad

falcons blown up by sticks and all.

All GW novel enemies are the same generic incompetent enemy. Every instance of Farseer to Warboss, 'elegant' to 'brutal', 'graceful' to 'crude', warriors to 'boyz' and guardians to grots, you have a... maybe a better written novel about the crazy society of orks.

Cherubael
23-11-2007, 17:38
Theres a fairly decent Black Templars short story in the anthology 'Words of Pain' but thats the only one i can think of.

'Shadowpoint' by Gordon Rennie and 'Ghostmaker' by Dan Abnett both feature the Eldar fighting alongside Imperial forces, rather than being the enemy.
Stay away from 'Eldar Prophecy' by C.S Goto, in fact stay away from anything he writes, its uniformly terrible.

nerflung
24-11-2007, 00:41
The lack of good Eldar titles is a bit disappointing, but I'll definitely give the BT comic a look, thanks for the help. Where can I find the anthology 'Words of Pain'? I tried Google but it didn't bring up anything.

Walls
24-11-2007, 02:35
I haven't read ANY Warhammer novels. Suggestions? Dan Abnett seems to be the popular choice but I am quite literally in the dark when it comes to any.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Full from Thanksgiving?

Light of the Emperor
24-11-2007, 04:03
William King wrote an Eldar novel called "Farseer". It was pretty good IMO.

As for novels to read, the Eisenhorn series is amazing as is the whole Ciaphas Cain series.

mistformsquirrel
24-11-2007, 04:07
I haven't read ANY Warhammer novels. Suggestions? Dan Abnett seems to be the popular choice but I am quite literally in the dark when it comes to any.

It's not a novel; but I highly recommend giving "Let the Galaxy Burn" a try - its a compilation of short stories; some of which are really good! I enjoyed the heck out of my copy anyway.

*double edit*

NM my previous statement; I was thinking of the short story "Words of Blood" which does involve Black Templar at least! ... But isn't I think what was meant here.

TheSanityAssassin
24-11-2007, 06:46
Definately recommend the Damnation Crusade comic if you're a Templar fan. Good read, and very pretty.

As for Eldar...not much good in print. Though you might see something with my name on it in a year or so that will be less mangled. I know enough people to at least get it a fair look by Black Library, so hopefully I'll do a good enough job finishing it.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
24-11-2007, 09:06

You may also wish to give the old Inferno issues a try - while not everything is top-notch, you do get a chance to read some great fiction.

Bregalad
24-11-2007, 09:35
My recommendations:
1.) 'Shadowpoint' by Gordon Rennie (hard to get)
2.) 'Farseer' by William King
3.) Perhaps the old 'Harlequin' by Ian Watson

And yes, if you like Eldar, just stay away from all Eldar novels and short stories by C.S. Goto. He writes crap, doesn't know Eldar background and seems to utterly hate them ('piles of mutilated Eldar corpses' being his favorite phrase).

Concerning 40k novels in general, it depends on what you like. But Abnett's Eisenhorn Trilogy is a good starter (featuring Inquisition).

Though you might see something with my name on it in a year or so that will be less mangled.
I will try the next BL Eldar novel written by "The Sanity Assassin" ;)

Permanganate
24-11-2007, 09:52
2.) 'Farseer' by William King

Read it. Not bad.

3.) Perhaps the old 'Harlequin' by Ian Watson

It didn't impress me when I bought the reissued version when it came out. It's also out of continuity by now.

And yes, if you like Eldar, just stay away from all Eldar novels and short stories by C.S. Goto. He writes crap...

Regardless of what you like, stay away from CS Goto. :) His books suck.