PDA

View Full Version : Legal issues of a self-made codex.

MrBigMr
23-11-2007, 18:14
If I make my own codex .PDF, based on already made rules, like my own SM chapter how would I have to write it? I assume I can't just write GW rules down into it, but what if I have something like bionics on a special character with a different name (say 'regeneration'), would I have to just put it like "Regeneration: see bionics from SM codex, pg. blaa blaa blaa." Or could I write it down in an alternative form?

I am thinking of putting the 'real' things to the bottom of the thing. So if I have an Eldar fusion gun in the armory with all the fluffy text, I'd add under the section ('meltagun') to indicate what rules it uses really. Characters and such would have their real stuff listed at the bottom of their page.

Are stats a no no? GW has put all gun and model stats up in the reference sheets, so can I put those stats up into the codex? I would feel a little dumb for having a "see pg. x from codex y" on nearly every page.

So does this work? Is there anything else I should know? There probably needs to be some legal mumbo jumbo on the back of the codex.

Latro_
23-11-2007, 18:19
have you check the IP rules on the GW website? they lay the law down quite well.

t-tauri
23-11-2007, 18:24
Basically you need to follow the same kind of guidelines we have on Warseer. You can put the stats for your own creatures and points values for your own wargear and weapons. If you put points values and statlines from GW publications like standard marines or the weapons summary then you are potentially vulnerable to a request to cease and desist or legal action.

Check the legal statement on the GW site for their position.

Will GW do it? If you publish it on the web and it's substantially different to an existing codices like codex Space Marines, say Codex: Stelth Mareenz, then they probably won't take action. If it's got large chunks of codex SM reproduced verbatim and you do Codex: Crimson Fists then expect a strongly worded email to remove it.

This is probably better suited to 40k general as it's not a 40k rules question as such.

MrBigMr
23-11-2007, 18:57
Check the legal statement on the GW site for their position.
I have, and they don't help much. It's all that legal mumbo jumbo. What I need, is practical guidanse.

Will GW do it? If you publish it on the web and it's substantially different to an existing codices like codex Space Marines, say Codex: Stelth Mareenz, then they probably won't take action. If it's got large chunks of codex SM reproduced verbatim and you do Codex: Crimson Fists then expect a strongly worded email to remove it.
If I write all the stuff myself, get my own pics & art and post stats like in codexes, but no with the same names (so it's a 15pts. "trooper x" with WS4 BS4 S4 T4 I4 A1 Ld. 8 in power armor, not a marine). But what about guns and such? Can they have S4 AP5 bolters, or do I just have to refer to "see pg. X of codex Y" or "S4 AP5 gun y"? Etc. I propably can't put "based on the SM codex and perfectly lega." Where does the line really go.

This is probably better suited to 40k general as it's not a 40k rules question as such.
Isn't the law same as rules?

t-tauri
23-11-2007, 19:10
40k rules is game rules.

No one really knows where the line goes since no one has been taken to court by GW over it. Once the cease and desist arrives people usually fold. Our position of no rules, statlines or point values keeps Warseer clear of nasty emails. Basically, if it allows you to use a unit without buying the codex then it's not acceptable. Your position may vary if you publish it on your own website.

Statlines and points posted like that would probably be removed from Warseer, I'm afraid.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
23-11-2007, 19:25
For example... GW has been fine with the Codex: Fighting Tigers (http://www.fightingtigersofveda.com/Codexcontents.htm) for years and years now. Take a look at that and see how it was done...

MrBigMr
23-11-2007, 22:32
For example... GW has been fine with the Codex: Fighting Tigers (http://www.fightingtigersofveda.com/Codexcontents.htm) for years and years now. Take a look at that and see how it was done...
Finally. This is something I need. Something that is around and GW hasn't run down. To give some pointers. I also got a Warhammer 30 000 codex linked to me via PM. I'll probably aim more towards a formal codex with mine, but with a tons of "check ya codex." So that GW can't sue my silly ass.