PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill Series

x-esiv-4c
14-09-2005, 17:13
Hi,
From any of the SH games that you have played, which part scares you the most? What caused those goosebumps and that chill down the spine?

( I hope this thread expands into a general SH thread again )

Skink Master
15-09-2005, 10:09
The mirror room in SH 3 would have to be one of the most frightening moments. But in all honesty, all the games are outright disturbing and scary. I couldn't specifically name a single moment when my spine was NOT tingling, my pants soiling, or my nerves violently reacting.

chaos god
15-09-2005, 11:23
I just hired Sh:4 the other night. And most of the starting 20-30 minutes gave me goosebumps. I love the Silent Hill series, they are one of the only games that scare me besdies Resident Evil.:)

Lord Lucifer
15-09-2005, 14:12
Frightening parts in the Silent Hill series?

The most frightening is also the first.
Silent Hill 1.
You follow the sillhouette of Cheryl into the alley, past the foreboding wheelchair with squeeky wheel, move through the awesome shifting camera angle corner, find the place getting more and more cramped, then it gets dark, and you bump out into a cul-de-sac of barbed wire, and see a crucified, flayed corpse on the fence.
You try to run, pursued by short murderous demons, past a hospital bed, and find you're trapped, you cannot get out, and the beasts are converging on you. You cannot fight them off, and they kill you.
That gets the adrenaline pumping. So goddamned evil

The intro to SH2, where you run through that long deserted path, and hear footsteps following you

There's also:
SH@ - the groaning down the stairwell, and the hooves.
And the first time you face Valtiel, the Pyramid Head, and realise you cannot kill him

The first encounter with the Victims, and each subsequent encounter, are also particularly evil

x-esiv-4c
15-09-2005, 14:18
I have to admit, I was plenty freaked out in a lot of places during the SH series but I found the scene when you are hiding the closet from pyramid head VERY unnerving.

Lucifer, in your spoiler you related "some name ( starting with a v) " to pyramid head, are they the same person / entity / manifestation?

Lord Lucifer
15-09-2005, 14:52
I believe the designers alluded to, or even, stated that was the case.
In either case, they are an intermediary between the people and God, and act as Her right hand, to watch over The Mother in SH3, or to force James' subconscious mind to the fore as in SH2

In each case (SH1, SH2, and SH3) they personify and symbolise the connection between the real world and the Other world. In SH1/3 Valtiel goes without the mantle of executioner, and is seen turning the wheel when the world turns into its horrific mirror image, and therefore acts as the link between the two
In SH2, the 'Other world' is James' own tortured and grief-stricken mind, and as the agent of James' own persecution complex, Valtiel under the mantle of the executioner (inspired by the painting Misty Day, Remains of the Judgement) forces this other world into James' conscious and self-aware mind, and is a more aggressive link in this case.

x-esiv-4c
15-09-2005, 15:04
You would imagine that with all the cult activity in SH4, "Her right hand" would play a role, however I didn't make any connections.

Lord Lucifer
15-09-2005, 16:09
You would imagine that with all the cult activity in SH4, "Her right hand" would play a role, however I didn't make any connections.
The first thing to consider is that SH4 was not created initially as a Silent Hill game. It was supposed to be the first chapter of an entirely new series, but Konami decided they didn't have room for a new Survival Horror franchise, so they retrofitted it into the Silent Hill continuity mid-production. As such, certain staples of the series, both technically, thematically, and plot-wise, were neglected in it.

Now, as for the game in and of itself, God played no role in it.
The other world was not the result of location (Silent Hill is a sacred place, but South Ashfield is not, and therefore does not have that direct connection to the spirit world), nor was it the result of the unconscious nightmares of a dormant God forcing its' delusions into the conscious minds of others.

It was a small, self-contained world created entirely by Walter Sullivan, through a powerful occult ritual, the Rite of Holy Assumption.
God had no power over his construction, and therefore Gods' valet, Valtiel, could not seek entrance.

This was a space created to house the Victims, in an effort to... create a mother?

But what it all boils down to is the fact that although you learnt a lot of the Cult's activites in SH4, Walter was not acting as part of the cult. In fact, his first victims were cult members themselves.
He acted alone

Penitent
17-09-2005, 00:27
I've only played through the first one, though I have access to the second.

I played SH1, alone at night, with surround sound. I figured it wouldn't be much scarier than Resident Evil 2, at the time. I was wrong.

The afore-mentioned intro was freaky enough. So was the first time it became "dark". The carnival was frightening. I think what got me the most, though, was the school: such a mundane place, associated with mostly bright memories, twisted into something so ominously dark.

Catterjee
17-09-2005, 18:39
I believe the designers alluded to, or even, stated that was the case.

Funny, I heard the exact opposite. They're not the same character.

x-esiv-4c
19-09-2005, 19:18
I found it somewhat unlikely that no one asked: "Hang on, whats that strange cylindrical building over there!" in reference to the water-prison.

Can we be totally sure that Ashfield has nothing "wrong" with it like Silent hill? Was the Sullivan case a purely localized occurance? Obviously he must have access to some supernatural powers, I mean holes appearing in your apartment leading you into another world.

Lord Lucifer
20-09-2005, 01:50
Walter had ability either inborn, like Dahlia, Claudia, and especially Alessa, or through ritual.
The creation of another world was entirely though the ritual, a small and self-contained world with breaches into places of specific emotional significance (the apartment where he was born, the orphanage where he grew up and was indoctrinated in the cult theology, the prison complex where he was disciplined and punished, and the locations of each of the murders he commited)

I doubt Ashfield has anything unnatural about it, other than a few members of the cults possibly living there.

And the tower... the location of it is never really given clearly, or if it even exists as it is presented.

Catterjee, whereabouts did you hear the opposite?
The 'one and the same' theory was discussed on Portent, with a source alluding to it posted.