PDA

View Full Version : Nurgle 3,000 (-ish!): painter without a clue

Jibbajabba
23-11-2007, 18:24
Hi people, I'm hoping to pick your brains on making a decent (not uber, I don't care about winning too much) Nurgle themed army.

Thing is I'm a painter really, I don't game at all, so am absolutely clueless when it comes to what works/doesn't work. I really need help on what weapons, armour and so on need to go on a unit to make it playable.

There's only so much tinkering that can be done, as the models are, in the main, bought, and about half are painted already. For example, telling me to drop the warriors because they aren't worth their points, is probably valid gamewise, but it's not going to happen! They're cracking models, so they're in. Same with the GUO (it's the Forge World one :D ). Stuff can be added if you think it's needed though.

If you can have a look, shake your collective heads, sigh through collective gritted teeth then tell me how to make the best of the list, I'll be forever in you debt!

Heroes

Great Unclean One

Chaos Lord of Nurgle on Chaos Steed

Exalted Champion of Nurgle

Chaos Sorcerer (Level 2) on Chaos Steed (Undivided? Nurgle?)

Core

15x Chaos Warriors of Nurgle, FC, shields

5x Chosen Chaos Knights of Nurgle, FC

25x Marauders, FC

5x Marauder Horsemen

5x Warhounds

5x Warhounds

Special

20x Plaguebearers

4x Nurgling Swarms

8x Furies

Rare

Beast of Nurgle

What sucks, what's OK, and how should I kit stuff out?

chaos-nightwing
24-11-2007, 06:46
Ok here we go. In 3000 pts, u only have 8 power dice or ur wizard to use???? and one is level four?????
That just wont work. I have to say, the great unclean one is very hard too use. He is a great killing machine and have alot of wound, but generally people avoid having contact with him and use magic or missile weapon to finish him. Even though he have alot of wounds, he only move 8. He will most likely get shoot in to an spicky smelly ball of mess befor reaches and enemy to kill. So my advice for the lord is to drop him.
In addition for ur hero bit, i think u are looking for a magical army (though im not sure). To answer ur question, the soccer have to give him a MON (Mark of Nurgle) in order for him to be one. That will cost u 40 pts. So for the spare pts u got for droping the lord, spend them on socceres of chaos (three level 2), some with MON (2)some undivided (1). The fewer points left u can go for a power familier on ur soccer and some thing like a chaos rune sword for ur lord. Im not so sure do u know how to really make a army list or not, but if u wish me make a new one for u, i can maby help u (since my yearly exam has just finished) but it will take time. and u need to tell me want knid of list do u want (e.g heavy magic, normal magic, moagic as support).

Jibbajabba
25-11-2007, 10:00
Thanks for the reply.

You hit the nail on the head when you said I don't know how to make an army list! As I don't game, I have no idea how many power dice I should have at all.

It's a shame about the GUO, I'd really like to leave him in because the model looks so nice, but if it's really not viable then I guess I could take him out.:cries: Maybe I should take him out and try doing 2,000 points first?

If you wanted to do me a sample list, that'd be fantastic and much appreciated. I wanted to get quite a bit of magic in, as that's how I see Chaos in my head. Also, I want a fairly decent demon presence, again just for fluff. Finally, I wouldn't really be keen on painting multiple units of the same thing, even if they would make more sense on the tabletop.

Any tips you could give me on good combinations of weapons, banners, etc would be great too.

Thanks for the help nightwing. The rest of you; I know you're out there, I can hear you sniggering...

logan054
25-11-2007, 12:37
well seems ok to me, i think you can make chaos warriors work with somthing as simple as using a warbanner.

The lord is easy to equip, make that a daemononic steed and give him amulet of chaos, Berserker sword and enchanted shield, very nasty for rank and file killing (hell the amulet is great against knights!).

Great unclean one could do fine, he has the wounds to asborb most things thrown at him, just dont let him get trapped in combat with a ranked up unit unless you have some support (a chariot would be fine!)

Personally im not the greatest fan of plaguebeareres, i think the breath attack is pointless on a infantry unit, T4 is nice however for daemons (but i personally like bloodletter more but then again im a khorne player so perhaps im bias ;) )
Exalted just go armour of damnation and great weapon or even slaughterers blade.

theunwantedbeing
25-11-2007, 13:11
A chaos lord isnt needed most of the time.
Dropping him to an exaulted champion saves you 120points (110 for the basic cost and an extra 10 for the mark cost).

It free's your second lord slot for a sorcerer lord.
6 levels of magic at 3k will struggle, 8 stands a good chance especially if both are lord level casters as you can throw 4 dice at spells you need to go through.

The army is a tad small.....swapping out the fighty character's for units would be more useful.
Taking marauder horsemen and hounds is a good way to add units and manoverability and therefore more options in battle.

Beasts of nurgle arent worth the extra points. Dropping them down to normal spawn saves you half a unit of warhounds.

I'de make sure your plaguebearer unit is with the great unclean one and is deployed as thin as possible(so 5 men wide) to gain maximum ranks but allow minimum attacks at them.
Cover the flanks properly.

Failing that, give that list you have a go and then see whay you liked and didnt like and adjust accordingly. Taking things you think are more fun or that you want to take as opposed to being overly bothered about what is effective or not.

There will be compromises though.
There's a balance to be struck between fielding the list you really want to field, and having a list that will stand up to 6 turns of fighting a more competetively orintated army.
You can only find this out by playing lots of games.

Just remember that if you dont last untill turn 6, make lasting untill turn 6 the priority for the game.
Then when you can do that make not losing by a massacre your priority, and so forth in little incraments untill you hit that first win :D

Jibbajabba
26-11-2007, 10:29
Really nice advice, thanks! I'll swap the fighty Lord for a sorceror Lord then, drop the other sorceror, and see if I can get another block of marauders in there.

Jibbajabba
26-11-2007, 11:19
OK, if I drop the Marauders down to 20 /w hw&sh, then I can stick another 12 in there with flails as a shock troop/flank hitting type unit. Plus, that uses 2 boxes exactly. I would stick another 5 marauder horsemen in there, but they're so expensive () I can't justify that.

Should the horsemen have a command, or just a musician? Actually, same with the units.

Also, I'll drop one of the warriors and pop an aspiring champ in with them with extra hand weapon to try and rack up some kills, and then put the exalted champ in with the knights on a chaos steed. What's the point of demonic steeds for Nurgle? I already cause fear, right?

How about a beastherd instead of the marauder cav? not quite as fast, but seem quite nice. Also a bit different to paint.

Jibbajabba
26-11-2007, 13:05
OK, how about:

Heroes

Great Unclean One

Exalted Sorceror (Level 4) on Chaos Steed

Aspiring Champion on Chaos Steed (goes with Knights)

Aspiring Champion with extra hand weapon (goes with Warriors)

Core

14x Nurgle Warriors, full command, shields

5x Chosen Knights of Nurgle, full command

20x Marauders, full command, light armour, shield

12x Marauders, full command, flails

5x Marauder Cavalry, full command, spears, shield, th. spear

5x Warhounds

5x Warhounds

Special

20x Plaguebearers

20x Beast Herd, 12 Gors,full command, 8 Ungors, shield

8x Furies

Rare

Chaos Spawn

All this comes to about 2,940, which leaves very, very little in the way of magic items.

Any thoughts? I'll stop posting now!:D

Ward.
26-11-2007, 13:23
Well I don't play nurgle, but i can give some general points, get another unit of furies to keep war machines on the down low, theunwantedbeing has some good points definitely.

Also I'd advise always paying the extra twenty points to turn an aspiring into an exalted, you just get so much for so little points.

Albinowski
26-11-2007, 13:39
Furies are 0-1, so you can't have two units of them.

As for the new list:

12 marauders aren't going to do anything really. The will just exist. Really... So, drop them. No point in fielding them in hope that MAYBE they will protect your flank, because they are really pathetic.

Marauder cavalry is best with just flails and a musician, but if you have other plans for them (fluff reasons or whatever), then I guess they are okay as they are.

Ungors should have no shields: they are meant to be very cheap, so drop them. Drop 2 gors also. That's the way I like to field my beast herd, though many may not agree. Most like to field the beast herds with 12 ungor/8 gor, but it's a matter of taste and playstyle.

There are too few chaos warriors for Nurgle to work and too many plaguebearers. I'd drop 4 plaguebearers, since the GUO will fill the 4 spaces up, and add 5 chaos warriors, in order for them to be 20 strong with the exalted champion inside (Nurgle need bigger units for fear to have an effect).

The rest is fine. :)

Ward.
26-11-2007, 13:43
Well that explains a lot then, never used em though :p

Jibbajabba
26-11-2007, 14:16
Nice one!

I'll do all that then, and try a few games. Thanks very much for the advice.

logan054
26-11-2007, 15:00
may i just point out that you actually need a chaos lord to make that list legal as currently you have a great unclean one as your general who makes mortal special, this is why mentioned using a chaos lord in the first place you know!

Great Unclean One

Exalted Sorceror (Level 4) on Chaos Steed

Aspiring Champion on Chaos Steed (goes with Knights)
- make this a chaos lord, you can easily get away minimal equipment on this guy if need be.

Aspiring Champion with extra hand weapon (goes with Warriors)
- Make him a exalted and put him with the marauders, these guys need the extra killing power far more.

Core

14x Nurgle Warriors, full command, shields
- Slap a extra guy here, if you want to convert them give them halberds, its easy and you have all the bits in the box (assuming you havent started hem yet). after that slap a warbanner in here

5x Chosen Knights of Nurgle, full command
- Good, i would consider dropping the champion, isnt needed really.

20x Marauders, full command, light armour, shield

12x Marauders, full command, flails
- What i would do here is drop the small unit and make one big unit of 25, for fluff give them all flails, for performance give them HW+SH

5x Marauder Cavalry, full command, spears, shield, th. spear
- drop the shields and full command, all you need is a musician and then flails (again this is more fluffy for nurgle and better in game).

5x Warhounds

5x Warhounds
- Good

Special

20x Plaguebearers
- 20 is way to many, at the very least drop 5, that will perform fine

20x Beast Herd, 12 Gors,full command, 8 Ungors, shield
- I personally dont think you need more than 8 gor in a unit, drop the shields and make sure the gor have extra hand weapons.

8x Furies
- Fine

Rare

Chaos Spawn
- I love spawn, you want more :)
All this comes to about 2,940, which leaves very, very little in the way of magic items.

Other things to consider, have you thougt about nurgle minotaurs, very good for the points and have a 4+ save with scaly skin + light armour, just as good as dragon, cool conversion ideas here aswell.

Jibbajabba
27-11-2007, 10:26
Ooh, I like that idea! Rotting minotaurs...nice!

I won't be able to have a GUO, exalted sorceror AND a chaos lord though. I thought it was only 2 lord choices at 3,000.

I could take the lord and GUO, two level 2 sorcerors, and the exalted though. Might that work?

Little Aaad
27-11-2007, 15:29

I won't be able to have a GUO, exalted sorceror AND a chaos lord though. I thought it was only 2 lord choices at 3,000.

I could take the lord and GUO, two level 2 sorcerors, and the exalted though. Might that work?

Yes (Heres more characters so I can post this answer)

logan054
27-11-2007, 22:48

As i said you will have to tale a chaos lord to make the army legal, two level2's should be more than fine however, glad you liked the idea of rotting minotuars :)