PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Nidzilla

taphos
24-11-2007, 00:34
Hey, general question... sort of geared to the army I play (Death Guard), but i'd like to hear all your advice for dealing with Nidzilla lists.... Most I've seen for 1500 I actually outnumber, but I think that just gives me a false illusion of the upper hand.
Advice, suggestions, what not to do?

Light of the Emperor
24-11-2007, 00:48
Powerfists, plasma guns, melta weapons and lascannons are a nidzilla army's worst nightmare. A squad of havocs or two with full lascannons can pick off about 1 1/2 carnifexes a turn. Squad champions should be armed with powerfists and the squad itself should have 2 meltas or plasmas. Being T5 will help your guys survive a bit longer in CC which will allow the champion to strike with the powerfist.

It's all about high strength, high AP value weapons.

Carnifexes can only move 6 inches a turn so mobility is key as well.

Wraithbored
24-11-2007, 00:52
And although weapons with high strength and low AP are good you can also bring down zillas with volume of firepower: remember VOLUME, VOLUME,VOLUME! :)

Also Flyrants can get separated from the main force deploy your forces so you can catch him in a crossfire. Also Tyrannic weaponry is relatively short ranged so deploying yourself far away even in plain view shouldn't hurt too badly.

Personally I'd use Warwalkers with starcannon and/or scatter lasers on them vs. nidzilla(yes I know you play death guard allas I have no experience but perhaps you can draw some paralels). I am well aware 9 warwalkers is cheddar on a stick but so damned effective especially with a farseer casting guide and if the gribblies are close enough Doom.

Voodoo Boyz
24-11-2007, 00:54
Hint: Kill the Elite Fex's (Dakka Fex's, the ones with 2x Twin Linked Devourers) FIRST!

They're the easiest ones to kill, but they're the teeth of the army. One of my first n00bish mistakes was trying to kill the heavy Fex's first. Screw them, kill the Dakka Fex's and you've basically kicked in the teeth of his army.

Of course, if he's got a Flying Tyrant, killing that at the first opportunity you get is actually a higher priority, if you can snag it.

Hidden Powerfists and Plasma will do it for Death Guard. Oh and Oblits. If you have Oblits, he hates them. ;)

taphos
24-11-2007, 01:25
Hmm.. I don't tend to field Obliterators or Havocs... I'm a little too 3rd ED throwback for em... I have a few add on units at my disposal, including a heavy bolter havoc squad (would leave them unmarked to save points) which would cover the volume deal in one area... I assume the answer to dealing with the flying tyrants would be a Deamon Prince, aye?

Seth the Dark
24-11-2007, 01:31
A demon prince would about equal a Flyrant in CC and is a real gamble, but if you get the charge, you have a decent chance of killing it. Lots of high S weaponry is key and not neccessarily low ap ones as volume of fire is pretty effective (I had a horrible experience with the new Ork loota squads).

big squig
24-11-2007, 01:57
Hmm.. I don't tend to field Obliterators or Havocs... I'm a little too 3rd ED throwback for em... I have a few add on units at my disposal, including a heavy bolter havoc squad (would leave them unmarked to save points) which would cover the volume deal in one area... I assume the answer to dealing with the flying tyrants would be a Deamon Prince, aye?
Eh, just get some oblits and make them all nurgle looking.

onnotangu
24-11-2007, 01:58
Furious charge on a daemon prince is your only way. other than that plasma death

Latro_
24-11-2007, 02:12
its times like this the plauge sword is missed like ye fav pair of jeans

taphos
24-11-2007, 02:16
its times like this the plauge sword is missed like ye fav pair of jeans

:raises glass with a somber look on face:

(it had to be done)

Repzik
24-11-2007, 03:05
ok first of all, make sure you have LOTS and LOTS of firepower. second, shoot at the brain bugs and tyrants, once there dead you can insta kill the fex'es. death guard hmmmmm power fists and lots of lascannons and plasma and basically heavy weps. KILL THE TYRANTS! even if thats all you shoot at the first phase, but make sure you kill him. it has worked every time for me, and i hope it'll work for you

studderigdave
24-11-2007, 03:23
the new plaguebringer wounds on a 4+ always and ignores saves. if you can get the charge on a carni that has a wound or 2 already, you should be able to cut it to ribbons without threat of an ID causing retun attack.

i dont play against alot of nids, and only against 'zilla once or twice with my deathguard, but i found the best thin to do is to concentrate fire on one beastie at a time.

Ouroboros
24-11-2007, 04:50
For deathguard a sorceror with warptime, and a familiar could work well. You'll get to reroll everything to hit and wound in combat and all you need is one 6 and a leadership test to force weapon one of the big expensive ones.

I just saw them in half with exorcists.

Seth the Dark
24-11-2007, 05:06
Yea the Plaguebringer would work pretty well.

Bloodknight
24-11-2007, 05:14
@Ouroboros: a Nurgle sorcerer cannot use warp time and his force weapon in the same turn. The familiar just allows for taking another power but it does not let you cast two powers in one turn - and alas the force weapon effect is a psychic power.

Ouroboros
24-11-2007, 05:25
Ahh crap, well scratch that idea then.

Just go with four plasma havocs.

blackroyal
24-11-2007, 05:35
ok first of all, make sure you have LOTS and LOTS of firepower. second, shoot at the brain bugs and tyrants, once there dead you can insta kill the fex'es.

How does one insta-kill T6/7?

Serpent
24-11-2007, 05:47
How about playting a game of 1499 points? That would rid the game entirely of even the option of Elite Fexes...

Skyth
24-11-2007, 05:49
No, the Dakkafexes are the glass cannon, but as Nurgle, using the new plague marine rules, the Dakkafexes aren't that big of a threat (Kill 8/9 of a PM each turn as opposed to 2 MEQs)...Kill the Flying Tyrant first, then the Stealers/Raveners. Then go for the Dakkafexes. The Zoeys aren't that big of a threat (Fearless so the choir is almost meaningless).

Doctor Thunder
24-11-2007, 06:28
Since no one has mentioned it yet, I'll point out the real achilles heel of Nidzilla: Hidden power fists.

marneus54
24-11-2007, 06:33
I'd go with guns...lots and lots of guns. Particularly the shooty type. Oh, and ones that go boom, and some that melt.

But hey thats just my opinion.