PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Blood Ravens fluff

Seth the Dark
24-11-2007, 00:27
I know of the DoW games, the Index Astartes article and the CS Goto novels but I was wondering if there is any other sources of fluff out there? Also, do they use Company marking or squad markings at all? Thanks for any and all help.

downundercadet07
24-11-2007, 00:42
Outside of the reference that the fifth company has some sort of mark of guilt on their iconography, and of course, the blood raven in flight, I am not aware of any specific company markings.

The_Patriot
24-11-2007, 00:51
They use Company markings based upon the artwork I've seen of them.

BrotherAdso
24-11-2007, 03:02
There was actually an entire Index Astartes article on them that featured, among other things, an exhibit of their 'common weapons and chapter artifacts'. A bit of a fine point was put upon the remarkably....erm....unorthodox pattern of chain-axe they apparently make a lot of use of.

If I recall, their battle cry is an unearthly howl of blood-lust, and, as a chapter, their primary tactic is to get themselves into a position where they can collectively freak on the enemy, tear them apart in the most gruesome way possible, and chew on them a bit if possible afterwards. The charges of cannibalism and needless scourging of innocents also get a bit of a fine point put on them, if I recall.

The Index article made it clear they were like a more fallen/insane and less noble version of their Primogenitor Chapter, and possibly even drifting towards Chaos Heresy.

-Adso

GR_Zombie
24-11-2007, 03:04
There was actually an entire Index Astartes article on them that featured, among other things, an exhibit of their 'common weapons and chapter artifacts'. A bit of a fine point was put upon the remarkably....erm....unorthodox pattern of chain-axe they apparently make a lot of use of.

If I recall, their battle cry is an unearthly howl of blood-lust, and, as a chapter, their primary tactic is to get themselves into a position where they can collectively freak on the enemy, tear them apart in the most gruesome way possible, and chew on them a bit if possible afterwards. The charges of cannibalism and needless scourging of innocents also get a bit of a fine point put on them, if I recall.

The Index article made it clear they were like a more fallen/insane and less noble version of their Primogenitor Chapter, and possibly even drifting towards Chaos Heresy.

-Adso

That sounds more like the Flesh-Tearers to me, but I could be wrong.

The_Patriot
24-11-2007, 03:21
That sounds more like the Flesh-Tearers to me, but I could be wrong.

Yeah that is the Flesh Tearers since the Blood Ravens (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blood_Ravens) favor Librarians and Scouts. Blood Raven battlecry is, "Knowledge is power. Guard it well."

BrainFireBob
24-11-2007, 04:24
Seth the Dark:

Those are all the Blood Ravens fluff sources, although I don't know if I can recommend the Goto novels.

BrotherAdso
24-11-2007, 11:36
AH, right right. A thousand apologies. I was equating the color schemes in my befuddled little head.

I think the Blood Ravens had an IA, too, though. The only fluff I can recall is that they place significantly more trust and authority with their Librarians than most chapters.

-Adso

Leftenant Gashrog
24-11-2007, 13:14
There was actually an entire Index Astartes article

which amazingly can be downloaded from the GW site:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/bloodravens-indexastartes/1/

They use Company markings based upon the artwork I've seen of them.
Thats not an overly helpful statement: how do they denote company? They certainly dont use their shoulderpad trims as the 2nd, 3rd and 4th companies have all been shown with black trims.

addendum: (i dont think it merits spoiler tags) when/if the Blood Ravens defeat the Necrons in Dark Crusade, it states that the men in question were from the 2nd company, and that after this all surviving members of the engagement added a small replica of a Necron Warrior head to their armour, whilst the company itself adds "Victory Over Death" to its banner. Which I've always thought was quite intersting.

TheBlueGrassGamer
24-11-2007, 13:36
Greetings,

Thats not an overly helpful statement: how do they denote company? They certainly dont use their shoulderpad trims as the 2nd, 3rd and 4th companies have all been shown with black trims.

According to Insignium Astartes, a Codex Chapter can denote their respective companies in a number of ways. The most common are: marking the helmet down the center using a stripe in the company color; marking the knee pad with the company number, company color, or both; marking the greave with the company color, company number, or both; or using the shoulder pad trim to bear the company number.

Or, at the Chapter's discretion, they can simply choose not to use a company marking.

However, looking at the IA for the Blood Ravens, it looks like the tactical marine is a member of the Fifth Company as the right knee pad is colored black -- the color of the Fifth Company. The Inquisitional =][= on the left knee pad can be a campaign badge or the Fifth Company's mark of shame.

Thanks,
Bluegrass

heretics bane
24-11-2007, 14:28
Some one posted me loads of fluff about them a while ago, check your mail. It could clear up some of your questions

Leftenant Gashrog
24-11-2007, 14:53
However, looking at the IA for the Blood Ravens, it looks like the tactical marine is a member of the Fifth Company as the right knee pad is colored black -- the color of the Fifth Company. The Inquisitional =][= on the left knee pad can be a

Arent the 3rd company in Dawn of War depicted as also having a black kneepad as standard?

Shibboleth
24-11-2007, 15:47
Here's an article from when the DW game was first released: http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/532/532064p1.html
There's not much there that hasn't been covered, except a little tidbit about how their colour scheme and insignia are taken from Canadian West Coast native artwork, which is where their studios are located.
That might be an idea for theming company markings if you were going to make something up?

TheBlueGrassGamer
24-11-2007, 16:55
Greetings,

Arent the 3rd company in Dawn of War depicted as also having a black kneepad as standard?

I've never played any of the DoW games (and haven't read CS Goto's books), so I can't really say.

Anyway, I made a mistake: the company color and/or company number is displayed on the left knee instead of the right knee. Which means one of two things. One: the Marine in power armor is actually a member of the First Company (assuming that the marking on the left knee is a Roman numeral "1" and not an =][=).

Or two:the Blood Ravens may simply choose not to issue badges that differentiate between the various companies -- joining the ranks of other Codex Chapters like the Novamarines, Raptors, Knights of Gryphonne, Howling Griffons, Storm Giants and Crimson Fists Space Marine Chapters.

Thanks,
Bluegrass

TheMartyr451
24-11-2007, 19:23
There is a rumor/what-have-you, that the Blood Ravens are descended from the Thousand Sons geneseed. I have also heard they have been known to field whole squads of librarians, although I don't think it has an effect on their game rules.

zeep
25-11-2007, 00:37
We also know they are a non codex chapter... I've killed well over 3000+ of them with my tau in dow. :angel:

Spacewolves vs Thousandsons
26-11-2007, 15:24
i have also heard that the blood ravens where a loyalist faction of the thousand sons who didnt defect

but because of their chapter insignia they may have descended from the raven guard or the blood angels
though im more inclined to believe the thousand sons theory due to their large number of librarians and the fact that the inquisition has been monitoring them

Brother Loki
26-11-2007, 15:44
The inquisition monitors everybody. :eek:

I personally like the Thousand Sons theory myself, but I suspect its one of those 40k questions that will never be given a definitive answer.

I guess one way of showing the reliance on librarians would be to have a low level librarian attached to each other character's command squad.

heretics bane
26-11-2007, 16:11
IIRC in a WD a while ago with a blood raven battle report in it said because of there unique amount of libarians they can field up to four libarian models as standard

Romanus
26-11-2007, 22:43
The theory that the Blood Ravens are descended from the Thusand Sons has only come abou through the writings of Goto, when the Eldar Farsser sees Thousand Sons painted on a wall and supposes that the Blood Ravens and them are one and the same.

Though as reading through both Index Astatres acticles a few things begin the jump out at you. Firstly is that there combat doctrines are similar in that when the Thousand sons where loyal, they relied on misdriction, feint and confusion to win the day. Blood Ravens use similar tactics as layed out in the saga of Azariah, in that he used misdirection of the enemy before launching his final offensive.

Secondly is the simalarity in names of both Ahriman, Cheif Librarian of the Thousand Sons and Azariah Vidya, Master of the Chapter Librarium. Though this name is also of similar Origion as Azarael, Grand Master of the Dark Angels. This thoughh only shows that they may have possibly drawn recruits from a singular star system.

The third and most interesting fact is that both Blood Ravens Geneseed and Thousand Sons (pre-Heresey) has a tendancy to foster Pysikic powers in new recruits more often then othere chapters. In the IA article for TS it states that the Legion was severly depleted from the manifestation of psyker abilities in a large number of its members, with the same being said in the BR IA article.

Company markings for the blood ravens are not stated in any fluff I know of. First company markings tend to follow very closly with marine markings except that the have a Silver or Black Eagle embosed on there helm denoting them as veterns (Source: IA Blood Ravens). The =][= symbol as mentioned before is actually a 1 denoting Tactical Squad markings as seem further down the page of the IA article. The only marking though is the left kneepad which is possibly the denotion of the Fifth company as indicated in both How to paint Space Marines and the Index Insignium (sp?). Therfore it would be right in saying the following list denoted company colours.

First - White, left kneepad
Second - Gold/Yellow, left kneepad
Third - Red, left kneepad
Fourth - Green, left kneepad
Fifth - Black, left kneepad
Sixth - Gold??, left kneepad
Seventh - Pink/Purple, left kneepad
Eighth - Silver/Grey, left kneepad
Ninth - Blue, left kneepad
Tenth - Company Badge

Not sure on the Sixth company colour. Anyone help. Anyways hope alll this helps. If you need any links just let me know and I'll PM them to you.

Cheers, Rom

folnjir
27-11-2007, 05:53
The standard colour for the 6th company is orange, or at least that is what the Ultramarines use. I have not seen anything specific for the Blood Ravens.

TheBlueGrassGamer
28-11-2007, 00:18
Greetings,

The =][= symbol as mentioned before is actually a 1 denoting Tactical Squad markings as seem further down the page of the IA article. The only marking though is the left kneepad which is possibly the denotion of the Fifth company as indicated in both How to paint Space Marines and the Index Insignium (sp?).

I think you're making the same mistake that I did. The illustrations in the IA for the Blood Ravens is facing the reader, which means that it's the right knee that is is painted black and the left that is marked with the Roman numeral or the =][= symbol.

Otherwise, yeah. Spot on with the information --- even if it is the exact same thing I said earlier. :angel: (Barring the listing of company colors, of course.)

Thanks,
Bluegrass