PDA

View Full Version : IG Emperor's Talon Recon Group: Lots of Sentinels

EvilGenius1
24-11-2007, 06:01
I saw this apocalypse deal on Ebay today and I was wondering whether or not to get it. It's like the Leman Russ Tank Company but instead of 10 tanks you get 10 Sentinels, it's called the Emperor's Talon Recon Group. Could you actually make a good army out of 10 Sentinels, how would that work? What are Sentinels like anyways?

Thanks !

[SD] Bob Plisskin
24-11-2007, 06:59
If its for apocalypse then who cares who good it would be; it would look sweet!

if you are saying 'can you make a regular 40k army with 10 sentinels' then no it'd suck.

EvilGenius1
28-11-2007, 05:59
Ok so I got the deal on Ebay and I should be getting it in a few days, now please help me ! What's the best way to build an army out of just 10 Sentinels?? How would such an army be played?

Thanks !

Iceheart2112
28-11-2007, 06:35
Can't you only field 9 in a non-Apoc game?

Arch-Traitor Horus
28-11-2007, 06:38
Couldnt u field 18? 9in HQ 9 as fast attack?
Im not to familiar with guard rules

mistformsquirrel
28-11-2007, 06:38
You can field up to 12 Sentinels in a normal IG army, 9 as Fast Attack and 3 as part of the Command Platoon

Brother Loki
28-11-2007, 11:41
@EvilGenius1

You could certainly field 10 sentinels as part of an imperial guard force in normal 40k, but you couldn't build an army out of just them. You still need a command HQ section and two troop choices (at a minimum one 25 man platoon and one armoured fist squad).

Sentinels have good and bad points - they can move and fire heavy weapons, and have scout moves, but they are very vulnerable to enemy fire, with low all-round armour. Potentially they could work well as part of a drop troops army, I suppose. Have a look at the Tactica Imperium (Guard) thread in the 40k Tactics forum - there's quite a bit of discussion on sentinels there, although its a massive thread (several thousand posts), so you may want to search it for specific bits rather than read it all.

greyclaw
28-11-2007, 13:28
I have a collection of 15 for one of my guard armies, It looks very impressive having them all set up. Though they die very quickly if they get too close to the enemy since any str4 weapon can bring them down, since they have pretty long ranged weapons they can stay a safe distance.

Polonius
28-11-2007, 14:43
One thing I'd recommend would be to either magnetize or simply not glue the weapon mounts. This will give you the option to swap weapons between battles (or during battles if your a cheating git....)

If you don't want to do that, I'd recommend at least three lascannons, no heavy flamers, and the rest either multilasers or autocannons to taste. Some people like the range and higher strength of the AC, others like the multiple shots of the ML. Despite having 5 sentinels with multi-lasers, I think I would rather have autocannons.

Sentinels aren't landspeeders, you can't build your army around them. They are also not like warwalkers, in that they don't even have the one turn of amazing shooting. They're most useful in a target saturated environment, where the enemy won't shoot them because there are LRBTs and Chimeras all over the place.