PDA

View Full Version : Did Purtabo and Rogal Dorn actualy fight?

Commander Dante
24-11-2007, 05:21
we all know that they had an intence rivalry which developed to outright hatred but did Purtabo and Rogal Dorn actualy come to physical blows with each other? or was their rivalry settled between thier legions?

BrainFireBob
24-11-2007, 05:29
They had words at a gathering of Primarchs.

Perturabo was praised as the unstoppable force.

The Fists as the immovable object.

Dorn was asked- by either Fulgrim or Horus, I don't recall- if he thought the defenses of Terra could withstand Perturabo. He said yes, because he was a tactless, arrogant prick.

Perturabo threw a tantrum at him vitriolically.

After that, they were kept separate- Horus had Perturabo under command, and the Emperor shortly thereafter recalled Dorn to Terra.

Otherwise, they had a prior rivalry. The Iron Warriors would endure the months of grinding down defenses- then the Fists would land, assault, and claim they had conquered the planet, denying the Iron Warriors the release of assault after the months of tension.

Even at the Iron Cage, though, the two never came to blows. Night Haunter and Dorn did- or rather, Night Haunter and Dorn both came to Night Haunter's blows, because he laid the smackdown on Dorn.

Commander Dante
24-11-2007, 05:33
thats what i thought

Pooky
24-11-2007, 06:03
At the gathering of Primarchs I thought it was more like this:

Random primarch: "So, Perturabo, you think you could assault Terra?"
Perturabo: "Pffft, yeah, no problem"
Dorn: "Ummm, I think that maybe Terra could withstand an assault. I'm just saying..."
Perturabo: "YOU F**CKING WHAT?! I'LL KILL YOU! I'LL KILL YOU ALL!!!"
*Primarchs restrain Perturabo*

:D

BrainFireBob
24-11-2007, 06:07
Pffpt, Dorn was a prick.

It is known.

Shibboleth
24-11-2007, 06:20
Dorn would have loved it to come to blows, but Perturabo denied him the satisfaction - to the point where Dorn couldn't handle it anymore and went mad.
:chrome:

BrainFireBob
24-11-2007, 06:29
Oh, you know Perturabo was waiting for the last Fist to die so he could run up, kick Dorn in the nuts, and then spit on him.

brother alinski
24-11-2007, 10:52
IICC Dorn was asked if he could withstand Perturabo. When he said yes and explaned how Perturabo was not happy at all.

Sephiroth
24-11-2007, 11:08
This should help the debate:

Index Astartes: Iron Warriors
It is widely claimed that Perturabo was envious of Rogal Dorn. Given Dorn's well-attested vanity, one can imagine how frequent reference to the perfection of the defences of the Emperor's palace on Terra might have antagonised his brother Primarch. Dorn had this effect on a great many people but Perturabo brooded on it and let each boast become a open wound that a cunning manipulator could pull and prod to elicit a response.

Index Astartes: Imperial Fists
Dorn's rivalry with Perturabo, Primarch of the Iron Warriors, was the most marked exception. One of Dorn's qualities was that he always, without fail and sometimes bluntly, told the truth. On Schravann, the Iron Warriors won a great victory when they stormed the final refuge of the Badoon. They breached the defences and held while the other Legions carried the city beyond. During the victory feast, Horus proclaimed Perturabo the greatest master of siege warfare in the Crusade.

Fulgrim, Primarch of the Emperor's Children then asked Dorn, in jest, whether he thought even the defences of the Imperial Palace could resist the Iron Warriors. Dorn considered this carefully and then said that he regarded the defences as being proof against any assault if well-manned. Perturabo flew into a rage and unleashed a torrent of vitriol at Dorn, accusations so unfounded that the onlookers were dumbstruck.

After this the two rarely spoke, neither Legion serving in the same campaign again. The Imperial Fists were ever at the Emperor's side and the Iron Warriors were part of Horus' vanguard.

when did Night haunter and Rogal Dorn got to blows?

It has been concluded that when Fulgrim came to his aid after a violent fit, Night Haunter felt that he could confide his fears in Fulgrim. Given Fulgrim's reaction, it seems likely the Night Lords Primarch told of his certainty that he would be killed by his own father, that their children would die fighting amongst themselves rather than their enemies, and that the light the Emperor had brought to Nostramo would destroy it forever.

Fulgrim in turn confided Night Haunter's story to Rogal Dorn, who took exception to this slight on the Emperor's name. The following description of subsequent events hints at a confrontation between Rogal Dorn and Night Haunter, and given some of the writings it is obvious that the two came to blows. The excerpt is allegedly part of an account by Lord Princeps Ichabod Lethrai of the victory banquet held in honour of the pacification of the Cheraut System in 7232826.M29. It is kept in a solution of oils to prevent its degeneration, and is among the most closely guarded texts within the cloister-archives of the Library Sanctus.

"...Lying on the stone floor, breathing shallowly, was Rogal Dorn. Blood soaked his robes, great gouges of flesh were missing from his torso. Crouching on the giant warrior's chest like a hideous white gargoyle was the hunched, pallid form of Night Haunter, his flesh covered in a film of sweat. He was panting heavily, and matted hair fell down over his jet-black eyes as he turned to face us. He was weeping, but his face was contorted into a snarl, his features wracked with hate and guilt in equal measure."

Tanith Ghost
24-11-2007, 14:58
Otherwise, they had a prior rivalry. The Iron Warriors would endure the months of grinding down defenses- then the Fists would land, assault, and claim they had conquered the planet, denying the Iron Warriors the release of assault after the months of tension.

The Iron Warriors do the dying, the Fists just do the flying.

Shibboleth
24-11-2007, 15:07
Thanks Sephiroth, I think these two excerpts show things a bit more clearly:
...Given Dorn's well-attested vanity, one can imagine how frequent reference to the perfection of the defences of the Emperor's palace on Terra might have antagonised his brother Primarch...

...Dorn considered this carefully and then said that he regarded the defences as being proof against any assault if well-manned. Perturabo flew into a rage and unleashed a torrent of vitriol at Dorn, accusations so unfounded that the onlookers were dumbstruck...
It might seem that Perturabo's rage was unfounded if this one incident was all one saw, but to Perturabo this was just the 'last straw' so to speak after all Dorn's 'frequent references' on the subject. These were things Perturabo would have picked up on because it related to his expertise directly, whereas other Primarch's would have taken no notice.

Aside form that it's clear that the IA's for Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists are each written from the perspective of their respective Legion, I think purposefully as if they were propaganda from each.

This is especially evident in the accounts of the Iron Cage incident. The Imperial Fist IA depicts it as a righteous and heroic stand, whereas the Iron Warrior IA gives an explicit account of the humilation of Dorn and the devastating later impact on the Imperial Fists Legion.

I like it that way, as it stirs this kind of controversy. :cool:
...although I favour the Iron Warriors version of the Iron Cage as the Fist's IA sounds more like it's making apologetics...