PDA

View Full Version : Update cycle?

marneus54
24-11-2007, 07:49
What is the cycle, if any, for updates.
E.G. do they go chaos then orks etc. all the time or is it random.

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-11-2007, 07:50
It's not random, but there isn't a predetermined cyclus either. Generally it's on where they believe the biggest issues/most demand/sales are. So you will always see a Marine Codex quickly after a new edition, where as other books will get updated along the line.

marneus54
24-11-2007, 07:53
Ok cool when do they normally update a book? Like every 3 months or so?

forgotten hero
24-11-2007, 07:56
yep, its every 3/4 months, but with lots of rumours of the 5th edition coming out next summer, that could all be thrown out the window..:confused:

-Rob

PlasticFork
24-11-2007, 09:16
Some codexes haven't been updated for years, such as Dark Eldar, whereas Chaos and Space Marines have had one or two in the past few years.

yep, its every 3/4 months, but with lots of rumours of the 5th edition coming out next summer, that could all be thrown out the window..:confused:

-Rob

Gah! I'm only just learning these rules!

Kasonic
24-11-2007, 09:21
If you asked me, this is what I foresee GW's schedule to look like after the release of the Daemon book, in terms of army Codexes only, from most needed to least:

-Dark Eldar
-Space Wolves
-Necrons
-Inquisition
-Imperial Guard
-Tyranids
-Space Marines
-Tau Empire
-Chaos Space Marines
-Eldar
-Blood Angels
-Daemons
-Dark Angels
-Orks

leonmallett
24-11-2007, 09:53
Ok cool when do they normally update a book? Like every 3 months or so?

The lifespan of each edition of the core rulebook has been generally around 5-6 years (with some variation I think). That may be coming down with fifth edition if rumours are to be believed (and I don't see why they shouldn't be). The lifespan of a specific codex in that time of transition is highly variable from as few as 4 years to as many as 8 or so. Chaos Space Marines had two codexes in the lifespan of third edition, as well as a new one during 4th. Tau were redone relatively quickly as were Tyranids (well at least compared to Orks for example). In addition both Dark Angels and Dark Eldar had some minor revisions prompting the release of revised codexes during third edition. So in essence, there is little to the cycle other than the kind of decisions that Gorbad Ironclaw mentions in his post.

marneus54
24-11-2007, 17:33
Ok i got it now.
I just don't like starting armies without knowing whos gonna be updated next and such.
Ill be starting orks next thanks to the update. :evilgrin:

leonmallett
24-11-2007, 17:34
Ok i got it now.
I just don't like starting armies without knowing whos gonna be updated next and such.
Ill be starting orks next thanks to the update. :evilgrin:

Orks should remain stable as a codex for some time, so a good choice.

RavenMorpheus
24-11-2007, 20:30
If you asked me, this is what I foresee GW's schedule to look like after the release of the Daemon book, in terms of army Codexes only, from most needed to least:

-Dark Eldar
-Space Wolves
-Necrons
-Inquisition
-Imperial Guard
-Tyranids
-Space Marines
-Tau Empire
-Chaos Space Marines
-Eldar
-Blood Angels
-Daemons
-Dark Angels
-Orks

Dark Eldar will probably be released to coincide with the release of Dawn of War Soul Storm seeing as they're the new playable race in the game - well that's how I'd do it but then I'm not GW...

And why would they go back to doing the CSM/DA/BA codices, not to mention the imminent Daemons and Orks codices - the new codices are perfect, apparently :rolleyes:

marneus54
24-11-2007, 20:32
OOO sweet a new Dawn of war game.

RavenMorpheus
24-11-2007, 20:32
OOO sweet a new Dawn of war game.

Correction - expansion. It's not a new game, just bits bolted on to it, much like Apoc is to 40k.

marneus54
24-11-2007, 20:35
O ok yeah that's what i meant i just didn't state it that way haha.

PlasticFork
24-11-2007, 23:33
Correction - expansion. It's not a new game, just bits bolted on to it, much like Apoc is to 40k.

It's a bit of a grey area that, because technically it's a standalone expansion. You don't need the original DoW to play it.